PDA

View Full Version : Eberron Adventures

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Citizen Joe
2007-09-15, 06:08 PM
Butch

"Umm, Wrench... Farm boy here... I'm the one that doesn't want to get lost... no fancy magicking please. Keep it nice as simple."

He looks around "Anyone see Azzy?"

Asmodeus
2007-09-15, 06:13 PM
Wrench

"Well, I certainly hope not. He wouldn't be a very good scout if everyone saw him coming."

Slash_712
2007-09-15, 06:44 PM
Threshkor

Threshkor takes a break from meditating and decides to join into the conversation.

"Is Azmirith supposed to be back soon?"

Citizen Joe
2007-09-15, 06:55 PM
Butch

"I thought we were going to meet him at the bottom."

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-16, 05:34 AM
Caskin

"Yes, it's true I'm a son of House Thrashkor, but I..." he stalls a bit, looking thoughtful, then points a finger to emphasize the rest, "I found my own path. Yes, that's a good way to put it. The chalk is just a convenience. I generally don't get lost because I become very familiar with where I'm going before I go there. Unfortunately, I was rather suddenly yanked from where I was to come and lend a hand with this task, and it must be fairly clear by now, I haven't been in this particular area before. If it becomes necessary, I can find our way back."

He casts a few glances at the path being followed, and grabs a small smooth-sided stone, while drawing a dagger. As he scratches a series of arcane-looking symbols on the smooth surface, he says, "This is as good a spot as any to mark. If we can get back here, we can get out, nuk puk." Returning the dagger to its sheath, Caskin stares at the etched symbols for a few moments, then tucks the stone in behind a larger one at the side of the path.

"All set. Now, I think we were going to follow Azmirith at a certain distance...wasn't that the plan?"

MandibleBones
2007-09-16, 10:18 AM
Cecil

"It is," he says, continuing to do so.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-16, 11:14 AM
Butch

"Well, there is only one path. So he had to go that way. If we are following him, then we need to continue on that path until we reach a choice. He should be waiting there to tell us which way to go."

Butch moves for the narrowed opening. "I'm pretty sure I'm about to get ambushed or trapped, so you guys might want to stay back a little bit. Just keep me in sight as I proceed."

Butch walks cautiously into the opening down the straight run. At the bends, he checks around the corners before waving the rest of the group to his position.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-17, 05:02 AM
Caskin

Shrugging off Cecil's terse reply, Caskin bears an eye toward Butch's back as he advances.

Bigmac
2007-09-17, 08:51 AM
The group makes it's way down the winding passage carefully. Butch halts at a few points when he feels the hairs on the back of his neck stick up, but it turns out to be nothing. The group comes to an opening about 40 to 50ft in diameter. There are two main paths leading out from here, one to the north (The direction of the crash site for ease of description) and one to the west. There is a large (~6ft) boulder off to the east by the wall. In the middle of the room is Azmirith, waiting on the party to arrive.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-17, 09:42 AM
Butch

Butch holds up his fist at the opening, halting abruptly. He waves to Azmirith to get his attention.

With Azmirith looking, Butch points to Azmirith, then points at his own eyes and then points at the west passage. He holds up one finger, then two fingers then makes a circle with his hand. Holding out all his fingers, he brings them down, one at a time with about a one second increments. He then swirls his finger around in front of himself pointing down and then points to the north passage.

Touching his hand to his own chest, Butch points to the west passage and then holds his fist up again.

Jerking his thumb back towards the rest of the group, he points at the north passage and again holds his fist up again.

Finally, he gives a nod to Azmirith.

Butch waves over the rest of the group. "I sent Azzy to scout the west passage. Brother Threshkor, you're with me. We'll secure the passage until he returns. Mr. Cecil, you and Wrench secure the north passage. Mr. Caskin, search this chamber for any other threats."

Asmodeus
2007-09-17, 09:57 AM
Wrench

Wrench spots Azmirith, and while Butch is waving his hands around, Wrench walks past him, out a bit into the clearing and says "Did you find anything?" loud enough for Azmirith to hear, and probably enough to give away his position to anyone who didn't know they were coming anyways that is in the immediate vicinity.

KCiemir
2007-09-17, 02:39 PM
Azmirith

Upon hearing Wrench, Azmirith darts into the shadows, clearly startled. he then procedes in the shadows to the group. Quietly, he answers the question. "Good to see you all again. The passage to the east, behind the boulder is a cave. I was unable to enter it myself. To the north is another passage, into a room, with a small legde. it continues further throug the passage, but i did not go, partly to meet up with you, and partly becasue there were small rodents in the way, and given the incident last night, i didnt want to risk anything. Also, There are tracks leading off, i couldnt tell where to.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-17, 02:52 PM
Butch

"OK, what is to the west? We could probably distract the rodents with some food and just walk by, but if the western passage can bypass them, we may as well go that way."

Asmodeus
2007-09-17, 03:37 PM
Wrench

"It probably doesn't matter. Just a bear cave or something. Lets head north and find the wrecked airship! I can't wait to see its structure." Wrench sounds almost giddy in anticipation.

MandibleBones
2007-09-17, 07:25 PM
Cecil

"I agree with Wrench, but let's make a note of this cave's location. I want to check it out on the way back, if we can."

Citizen Joe
2007-09-17, 08:04 PM
Butch

"Very well sir. Mr. Caskin, make sure our path is marked."

Butch enters the north passage, again pausing at corners to peek around.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-18, 01:13 AM
Caskin

Caskin watches Butch begin a long series of gestures, waiting raptly for the manifestation of some arcane spell. Interesting...never would have expected that. At the armsman's eventual explanation, Caskin smirks and coughs lightly, glancing at the others momentarily and shrugging.

Quick fingers retrieve a piece of black chalk from a belt pouch while Caskin easily scales the western wall to a height of about ten feet. Once there, he makes a small circle with arrows in all four directions. The ones pointing north and south are hashed, the other two are left as small arrows. The entire marking is no more than a few inches across. From the floor, the small black lines against the stone would be difficult to pick out, even if being searched for.

He descends and drops lightly to the floor, the chalk finding it's way back home as he does.

"All set," he states as he walks to the boulder. "Azmirith--you said there were tracks...what kind? And how many creatures? I assume you can tell that sort of thing." As he awaits a reply, he glances down at the boulder's base, looking to either side.

KCiemir
2007-09-18, 10:51 AM
Azmirith

Looking at Caskin, Azmirith replies
"I do not know what kind or how many, I am not skilled at following, only at looking for danger, finding hidden things, and killing people."

He then turns to the others
"well, if we are going to go north, we may as well get moving. If we can find the ship before the day is over, we will have acheived an immesurable success."

Bigmac
2007-09-19, 10:53 AM
The group makes its way through the winding passage untill it comes to the spot Azmirith mentioned. The cavern walls spread outward to form an opening about 50ft wide and 40ft long. The cavern has two levels separeated by a thirty foot tall cliff that bisects the opening in front of you.

Spot DC14
you notice claw marks and a few spots of blood on the ground. The blood is still wet.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-19, 11:49 AM
Butch

Butch halts abruptly, noticing something. He raises his hand in a fist and then kneels down swabbing the ground with his guantleted index finger. "It's blood," he says in a low tone, "And it's still fresh."

Rubbing it between his fingers, he sniffs the blood. "It isn't human... I'd say orcish..." Butch swipes his pinky across his tongue quickly. "Aye... I'd say from the southern coast of Droaam, judging by the diet. And she smokes a pipe... expensive tastes too..." Sniffing the blood again, he nods sagely. "She's with child too... twins... although they are fraternal..."

Asmodeus
2007-09-19, 01:11 PM
Wrench

Wrench just kind of stares at Butch. "By the Host, how did you ever come to such a precise conclusion?"

[roll0]

KCiemir
2007-09-19, 08:47 PM
Azmirith

once Butch shows him the blood, he nods at wrench's comment, and says "I certainly agree that it is fresh blood, but where did a brelish farmboy come to know so much about a creature through Tasting it's blood?"

Citizen Joe
2007-09-19, 10:23 PM
Butch

Butch stifles back a smile but bursts into a chuckle. He shows his still clean pinky. "I was kidding. The blood is fresh though. Hasn't dried up or turned brown yet. Not that it matters, but it isn't likely to be human, either animal, half-elven or orcish. Anyway, we've got a choice... can anyone make out an exit?"

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-20, 04:06 AM
Caskin

Caskin stands to one side in line with Butch, observing his impromptu investigation. The tasting of the blood raises both eyebrows, but the ultimate outcome of his actions were only jest. Still, he seemed to assume something not in apparent evidence, unless he was used to the taste of the blood of various creatures.

"Amusing. But upon what basis do you assume the blood is not likely to be human? Are you more experienced with drinking blood than you let on?" He makes a face of dead seriousness, then looks to Cecil, and says, "How sure are you this man isn't a vampire, or worse? He plays that it is a game, but from my vantage point I believe I caught a smile on his lips when he tasted the blood--like a connoisseur tasting a fine wine after months of choking down last week's vintage."

Citizen Joe
2007-09-20, 05:02 AM
Butch

Butch wiggles his pinky. "Wrong finger, Mr. Caskin. My little sister always fell for that trick too. We haven't seen any activity yet, which makes me think this place has been abandoned for some time. Probably since Droaam broke away. The switchback and the very mountains say that this place was likely used by miners at one point. But we humans like to socialize, so we would have seen someone by now. It could be an animal, but there are only a few drops, which makes me think that whatever was bleeding, managed to staunch its wounds. That makes people likely. Since we're expecting survivors from the crash, it could be Lyrandar blood. But it could also be blood from whoever shot them down. My guess would be Droaamites, which is largely orcish."

Butch turns back to the cavern, craning his neck around to get a good look. "I'm not sure about this. It's either up or down, but I can't make out an exit from here. This may be a dead end. We may need to go back to that path on the left."

MandibleBones
2007-09-20, 06:38 AM
Cecil

"In any event, we must be careful," he muses. "And I'm sure young master Butch wasn't expecting some sort of a Thranish Inquisition for his little trick."

Asmodeus
2007-09-20, 09:16 AM
Wrench

"He walks around in broad daylight. Thats enough to convince me he isn't a vampire."

Wrench starts walking forward as far as he can before reaching the cliff. At that point, he starts looking for a place that looks likely as a point to climb.

Wrench says "I think we better get out that climbing gear." He takes out his length of rope and begins knotting it at intervals, to make it easier to climb with.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-20, 10:19 AM
Butch

"Hold it, Wrench. Use my hempen rope. It's shorter that the silk ones." Butch provides his coil or hemp rope.

"Mr. Caskin. While Wrench prepares the rope, could you go up this face behind us to get a look. No point in going up there if the passage doesn't continue."

Asmodeus
2007-09-20, 10:39 AM
Wrench

Wrench continues to use his silk rope.

"No. Shorter is bad. Better to have too much than too little. Its a 30 ft cliff. Knotting a 50 ft rope, will shorten it to 40 ft approximately. Then we need enough slack for whoever goes up with it to secure it properly, and make sure it still reaches the ground down here.

Plus, Silk rope is easier to knot, so whoever goes up to secure it will be able to make a firmer knot.

I'm not much of a climber though, so someone else should be the one to go up, secure one end of this knotted rope, and then toss the other end down for those of us who are less skilled to use."

{OOC: I think I've got the worst climb check at -4. With a DC 0, knotted rope w/ wall to lean against, even I can do an accelerated climb, while taking 10.}

Citizen Joe
2007-09-20, 11:56 AM
Butch

Butch nods in acceptance and puts away his rope. "Alright. We've still got some blood in the water here, so eyes open. There are claw marks as well. Azzy, you said something about rodents? Did they make these marks? Whatever made these marks and left the blood had to go someplace. We didn't pass it on the way here, so it's someplace close."

Slash_712
2007-09-20, 06:07 PM
Threshkor

{OOC- Oh my gawd. I completely spaced. this thread jumped}

A little tired from the rest Threshkor decides to sit down on something near him, preferably of the non-pointy variety, and asks the rest of the group.
"Is there anything I can do to help?"

KCiemir
2007-09-20, 06:12 PM
Butch

Butch nods in acceptance and puts away his rope. "Alright. We've still got some blood in the water here, so eyes open. There are claw marks as well. Azzy, you said something about rodents? Did they make these marks? Whatever made these marks and left the blood had to go someplace. We didn't pass it on the way here, so it's someplace close."

Azmirith
Azmirith thinks for a minute, and says "I did not see the blood here before, nor did I see these marks. This could be becasue I did not see it, or becasue it wasn't there. The rodents were slightly smaller than those beasts we fought last night. They must have continued down this passage, or we would have seen them."

Citizen Joe
2007-09-20, 08:13 PM
Butch

"OK. Mr. Caskin, you're our eyes. Climb up this back wall and let me know if it is clear up there. Then I'll climb the cliff and haul everyone up. Let us know if anything is coming up behind us."

Butch quickly scratches out a crude sketch on the ground...
http://home.ix.netcom.com/~jpettit/cliffplan.jpg

And then goes over to the corner where the chasm wall meets the cliff. He throws out a coil of rope and ties one end to his scythe and the other about his waist. He gives the corner a little test climb and nods to Caskin.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-21, 07:07 AM
Caskin

Looking a bit deflated, Caskin mutters, "Poxwail. It was just a joke." Further under his breath, he adds to himself, "Alright, you want it all business, my pleasure...."

Caskin asks Wrench, "I don't suppose you could make me a light stone? Would rather not lug around a lamp or waste a sunrod at this point. Think about it while I set myself up a bit."

He sweeps back the left side of his cloak, drawing a narrow wooden stick from a suitably narrow slot in his leather belt, then, taps his open left palm with the head of the stick. When nothing happens, Caskin's face sours and he commences shaking the stick as if punishing it. On the second try, the stick's head glows blue for an instant, making Caskin smile. As he puts the stick back into its belt notch, he says, "Now I have that ready for an hour or so."

Wiggling fingers of his left hand, Caskin passes it over the surface of all his exposed clothing and armor, resulting in an unevenly dark grey outfit from head to toe. Clucking his tongue in satisfaction, he returns to Wrench.

"So, how about that rock?" He waves his left hand and a small, flattened stone about an inch across rises slowly from the ground to a point level with Wrench's hands. "This'll work nicely."

OOC - Bigmac; WrenchDrawing and using my trusty wand of prestidigitation. DC20 UMD needed to convince it to work. Success on second attempt (2 rounds; failed roll was an 8; rolls in dice thread). Charge deducted on charsheet.

Bigmac - Is it dark in this place? No mention was made of it, and as far as I can recall, none of us has produced a light source since we left the surface level. I'm assuming it either is already or will be soon unless there's an ambient light source everywhere. Btw, my prestidigitation display is intended to make me harder to see against the prevailing backdrop.

Wrench - I know you have a Light infusion, I'm just not sure it's something you want to do (since I don't know much about Artificers). Much easier for me to handle a little rock than a torch/lamp, and much easier to mask when needed.

Asmodeus
2007-09-21, 07:55 AM
Wrench

To Caskin, Wrench says "I only have a single infusion left. I would prefer to save it in case of emergency. Mr. Cecil? Do your magical abilities include a light spell? If you insist, I will infuse the rock with light, but I've got an extra sunrod you can use instead."

If Cecil can't cast light, and Caskin insists on a light spell, Wrench will use his infusion to light up the rock. Otherwise, he'll let Cecil cast the spell, or offer the sunrod.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-21, 10:00 AM
Caskin

Caskin shrugs casually. "Not critical. It's, as I said, just easier to work with. Yes, we should probably reserve your infusion for something more important. I'll use the sunrod, instead.

He allows the small rock to settle back to the floor, accepts the sunrod and sticks it in his mouth like a pirate's dagger. With the deftness of an expert thief, he scales the rock face indicated earlier, by Butch. At a height of just over thirty feet he stops to scan across the gap toward the north.

OOCOkay, I'm gonna pause here until I know if this room is naurally lit to any degree, and to find out if I can see anything without using the sunrod. If the room's dark, then we'd have a light source out, already. Shall we use the sunrod or does someone have a lamp the'd like to use?

Bigmac
2007-09-21, 10:06 AM
From the OOC thread: visibility is limited on the canyon floor to 100ft of shadowy illumination (10% concealment). Still an hour or two of daylight left (you think).

Gimme a spot check if you can VE.

MandibleBones
2007-09-21, 10:18 AM
Cecil

"If you need more light, just let me know," he says, almost itching to cast something.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-21, 02:12 PM
Caskin

"Sunrod's unused and I'm still partial to a nice lightstone, if you're so inclined," he replies in a low voice as he peers into the gloom.

OOCSpot - (1d20+2)[3](5) - Umm...can someone recommend a good Brelish Lasik surgeon?

Bigmac
2007-09-21, 02:44 PM
For Caskin:
The upper landing has a large boulder nearly 10ft in diameter about 15 feet from the east wall. Near the northen exit where the cavern wall come together you notice a rat that looks to be about 4ft long that scurries back towards the exit as it notices you.

MandibleBones
2007-09-21, 04:10 PM
Cecil

"I can't do the stone so much as just the lights, but I suppose you can see fine. Anything up there?"

Citizen Joe
2007-09-21, 05:48 PM
Butch

"Mr. Cecil, sir. While I'm going up, please decide who is going up next. I'll need someone to watch my back while I pull up the rest."

MandibleBones
2007-09-21, 06:20 PM
Cecil

"If you don't mind, Butch, I'll take that position after you myself. I've a desire to see what's up there with my own eyes."

Asmodeus
2007-09-21, 10:46 PM
Wrench

Before Caskin starts climbing to the next level, Wrench will hand him the knotted rope. "Just secure the end of this when you get up there and toss the other end down to us. Then the rest of us will follow."

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-22, 05:49 AM
Caskin

Caskin clings to the wall, remaining motionless for a few moments, before whispering, "I saw one of the rats, and it seemed to see me, too. Ran off farther in. There's a big rock up there I can use to secure the rope."

He cranes his neck a bit to see around the boulder and into the passage, but fails. "I'm going to do a little recon from up here to see down that passage, before I deal with the rope."

He tosses the sunrod back to Wrench, saying, "Looks like we'll be able to do without it for a bit." Dropping back to the floor, he quickly wraps the rope around his waist, creating a simple, loose loop knot, before scuttling up the chasm wall on the opposite side so as to gain the best angle possible to look into northern outlet.

OOCNew spot check: (1d20+2)[10](12)

Bigmac
2007-09-22, 03:32 PM
This is a chasm, not a cave. Thus you were able to climg one of the side walls to get a decent look at the top ledge, but you can't climb on the ceiling because there isn't one.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-22, 08:14 PM
Butch

When Caskin moves around and talks about going in for a closer look, Butch relaxes his grip on the wall and unties the rope around his waist. He quietly coils his rope and releases his scythe from the other end. With his rope stowed, he starts to rummage through his ration bag. "Anyone got chicken?"

Asmodeus
2007-09-23, 06:31 PM
Wrench

Mutter, mutter, grumble, grumble.
IC: "Stupid fleshbag, can't just throw down the rope so the rest of us can get up there to. I'm just going to have to make myself a flying carpet one of these days."

OOC: "Stupid fleshbag, always trying to split the party, when we should be sticking together. The cardinal rule of this game is you never split the party. And Flying Carpets are freakin' cool!"

Bigmac
2007-09-24, 12:16 PM
Well, this is interesting and all, but I'm going to teleport everyone to the top of the landing. I'm sure much rope and tactical ability was used to get everyone up there. There is a narrow exit that Caskin saw a rat run down before going out of sight.

Here's the room and a bit of the hallway for situational awareness: (note 1 square =~10ft)
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/6743/mappagegp9.png (http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mappagegp9.png)

Now, let's get this rolling again.

Asmodeus
2007-09-24, 12:49 PM
Wrench

"Nice work." He'll take his rope back and stow it in his pack. He looks to cecil for direction for the next step of the journey.

MandibleBones
2007-09-24, 05:56 PM
Cecil

"Let's get moving down that narrow passage, if we can. I'll take point, but I'd prefer someone with better eyes than mine to follow close behind. I don't want any surprises," he says, readying his great blade.

Bigmac
2007-09-24, 06:02 PM
Can you be more specific where you want to go? N, W, or E from the intersection?

KCiemir
2007-09-24, 06:08 PM
Azmirith

Looking to his companions, he says "Cecil, my eyes are as good as anyones, I will follow you where you choose to go and act as your eyes."

I think we were goint to head north, but maybe I misunderstood

MandibleBones
2007-09-24, 06:24 PM
Cecil

"My thanks, Azmirith. I trust your eyes just fine."

<<OOC: My mistake. Yes, north (that's the second passageway, yes?).>>

Citizen Joe
2007-09-24, 06:36 PM
Butch

Butch takes up the rear guard watching for movement in the other passages. "Hey Caskin. Can you stay topside to act as high guard? We can get a better lay of the land with your perspective. Thow down that white chalk so I can mark our path."

It will help a lot from a mapping perspective if Caskin is topside and can point out various passages for us. Even if he doesn't actually look in them to verify encounters. It would be easier for Bigmac to give us maps that way.

Asmodeus
2007-09-24, 08:43 PM
Wrench

Wrench falls in step with the rest.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-25, 04:18 AM
Caskin

Having performed his various tasks with utter precision, and to the tacit applause of the rest, he takes to the walls, once again. He seems almost as confident there as he is on the ground.

By request, he picks out one piece of white chalk from his belt pouch, and tosses it down to Butch, then turns his attention to the rockface farther above.

OOCBigmac - Until further notice, this entire area will be sans ceiling, is that the plan? How high are the walls at this point (i.e. how high up is 'topside'? Would the plants and such growing at the sides (assuming we're still in a chasm setting as before), allow me to see anything more than the fissures that form the paths? For instance, at this point, can I see the floor and the other members without problem?

Bigmac
2007-09-25, 10:57 AM
For VE:
You can move about 50 to 60ftt up on the walls and still keep a decent eye on the canyon floor. After that it's getting too dark and the brush too dense to see clearly. You can also use the darkness and brush concealment to hide if you so desire.

The group makes it's way forward with Casking walking along the wall overhead. As the group approaches an opening ahead, caskin spots 4 small hidoues looking figures in the opening. One of them notices Caskin and fires a bolt at him as he shouts a warning to the group.

To those that can see the creatures, they look like small four armed goblinoids with mishapen heads and a huge mouth. picture (http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/7256/dolgrimdr1.png)

Here's some mappage for you:

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/6525/mppage2pb2.png (http://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mppage2pb2.png)

Roll Initiative.

Asmodeus
2007-09-25, 11:58 AM
Wrench

[roll0]

KCiemir
2007-09-25, 02:18 PM
[roll0]
Azmirith springs to attention as he hears Caskin's warning.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-25, 03:10 PM
Butch

"Ack! Contact!" calls out Butch. He strikes a sunrod against the wall and lobs it north into the room and then backs against the wall to let others pass.

[roll0]
MoveAction: Manipulate item:sunrod
Action: Throw sunrod 4 squares north NE corner (AC 5, targeting square)
Assuming one range band away for -2 Attack
[roll1]
Note: Moving aside is more fluff since you can pass through friendly squares if they allow it. Just no charging or stopping there.

MandibleBones
2007-09-25, 04:03 PM
Cecil (HP: 20 AC: 15) Initiative: [roll0]

"Ach!" Cecil cries, not knowing what the creatures are but feeling that there is something fundementally... wrong with them. "Khyber things!" Seeing a clear path toward the one in the exit tunnel, the old soldier dashes toward it, falchion held high.

NOT charging, but attacking dolgrim 3. [roll1] to hit, doing [roll2] on a successful attack.

Slash_712
2007-09-25, 08:19 PM
Threshkor

[roll0]

Thrshkor will take a position next to Butch after he has had his action.

{OOC- Sorry for the late post, I have been pretty busy}

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-26, 04:01 AM
Caskin
( Round 1 | Init: 22 | AC: 17 | HP: 14/14 | Position: E0 )

A shift to one side sees the creature's crossbow bolt impact the stone and bounce off, spinning toward the floor. Before it starts to clatter, Caskin's tattooed hand is open-palmed at a knot of creatures near the opposite wall. Though nothing visible emanates from the palm, the room is suddenly filled with the sounds of thousands of tiny wings beating furiously, and the chittering calls that unmistakably identify them as belonging to bats.

OOCThought I'd add a grid for my convenience, if no one else's.

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/2739/mppage2pb2bno0.png

Okay, I've used my Summon Swarm invocation on squares F3,F4,E4,D5. Assuming I have high init, creatures 1,2 and 4 will suffer 1d6 each at the end of my turn (the same as the swarm's): #1 takes 4, #2 takes 6, #4 takes 5. The swarm does not need to make attack rolls. All needed rolls (including my init roll) are in the rolling thread.

Relevant swarm data: 13HP (the book average) / 3HD creature. AC16 (14T/12FF). Saves: Fort +3, Ref +7, Will +3. Imm: Crits, flanking.

They do not suffer a miss chance for concealment or cover.

Distraction - Each of the gobbie-likes must make a DC11 Fort save or be nauseated for the rest of the round (assuming they begin their turn in a swarmed square).

Wounding - Each of the gobbie-likes will suffer 1HP/round until/unless the bleeding is stopped by a DC 10 Heal check or the application of a cure spell or some other healing magic.

If the gobbie-likes have DR, it is applicable, and can prevent the wounding if it blocks 100% of the damage, but not the distraction.

Swarms are rather complex, so I'll let you know if any of the other, less likely, details become relevant, if you don't want to study the swarm data yourself.

Oh, and duration is as long as I concentrate (so I'm subject to losing it if I'm hit/etc.). Dismissing the swarm is a free action.

Bigmac
2007-09-26, 01:30 PM
Moments after the bolt is fired at Caskin, a dense swarm of shrieking bats materilaze around the shocked creatures, brusing and cutting all over. The dolgrims attempt to ward off the creatures with their multiple limbs to no avial. There is no esacpe and the sudden fury with with the swam consumes the creatures leaves them little resilve to do anything but cower under the assult.

The Dolgrim in the passageway closes on Cecil (moves to E1). He swings his morningstar down hard on the vetran warrior's leg, connecting just above the kneecap. (Cecil takes 5 damage) It uses another arm to position the shiled to protect it's head while thrusting underneath it with a spear held in yet another of it's four arms. The spear, however, manages to miss Cecil, sliding past the warrior's side without touching him.

See map in Caskin's post for now, noting that a swarm is in the effected squares and D3 moved to E1.

Initiative Order:
Caskin
Swarm
Dg3
Butch <=
Wrench
Cecil
Dg4
Azmirith
Dg2
Threskor
Dg1.

Currently Butch's turn. Wrench can go after him and I'll do Cecil's move if it's still valid (attack 3) or he can redo it when we get to him.

Asmodeus
2007-09-26, 02:25 PM
{OOC: Butch already posted actions in his last post.}

Wrench
HP: 13/13
AC: 18(vt 11, ff 17)

Wrench uncaps his scroll case and draws out a long scroll. He begins reciting the words and tries to activate the scroll's latent power.

He succeeds, and fire a Magic Missile at the Dolgrim that just attacked Cecil.

[roll0] DC 21 for success
[roll1]

{OOC: Move: Draw Scroll
Standard: Activate spell}

Bigmac
2007-09-26, 04:20 PM
Butch lights the sunrod and flings it into the room. The bright light fills most of the room save for the corner surrounded by a living mass of darkness that now casts even darker shadows that dance along the canyon walls.

Wrench retrieves a scroll from within the container covered with arcane runes. The unnatural mix of the warforged's voice combined with the offbeat cadence necessary to unlock the magic of the scroll is disconcerting to those who have not heard it before. As Wrench finishes his utterences a flash of energy flies from the scroll, zips around Cecil, over the thing's shield and strikes the dolgrim in between it's eyes.

As the dolgrim cries out in pain it reflexivly grabs at it's face. Seizing the opportunity afforeded by his distracted opponent, Cecil uses the opening to bring the full weight of his falchion down on the thing. The sword cuts a mighty gash in the things chest, yet even as the blade finishes its arc the wound begins to close in front of Cecil's eyes. The creature shrieks at Cecil in some unknown tougne.

As it does so, one of the dolgrims engulfed by the swarm escapes from the chaos and moves to block the exit (Dg4 moves to C2). It fixes its gaze on the creature clinging to the cliffs and fires a bolt from it's crossbow at Caskin. This bolt manages to fly true and hits Caskin in his shoulder (Caskin takes 2 points of damage). While it does cause his balance to shift, Caskin easily remains attached to the wall.

Initiative Order:
Caskin
Swarm
Dg3
Butch
Wrench
Cecil
Dg4
Azmirith <=
Dg2
Threskor
Dg1

Azmirith and Threshkor can both post their actions for this round since Dg 1 and 2 are currently preoccupied with the bats.

Caskin, go ahead and make a concentration check.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-26, 11:55 PM
Caskin
( Round 1 | Init: 22 | AC: 17 | HP: 14/14 | Position: E0 )

Caskin grunts and hisses like a snake when the bolt passes through his left shoulder cap, but for the moment, his resolve to plague the ugly things with his beautiful bats remains.

OOCConcentration Check vs DC12 - (1d20+6)[11](17).

Does the one that shot me appear to be affected by the nausea (a little wobbly or such)?

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/259/mppage2pb2rnd1bvc0.png

In my map, I'm assuming Butch meant he threw the sunrod 5 squares north (not 4) and into the NW "corner" (not the NE), because it would require him to move up the line, then back, which he didn't specify. Thus, I illuminated the squares with line of sight/effect from that square, and left the others alone, to indicate not enough light bleed to change the square's state from shadowy to lit.

If you would, please note where the blotch of darkness is located using the grid on my map, so's I can mark it in.

Butch - Please let me know if you really meant to toss the sunrod into some other square than D1.

KCiemir
2007-09-27, 02:27 PM
Azmirith

with morningstar in hand, Azmirith focuses for a split second, focusing his energies around him. He then, shrowded in his own expelled ki, steps around Cecil, across the room, to Dolgrim 4, and with a soft, hissing battlecry, strikes that beast.

use swift action to turn invisible
move action to d3
attack as standard action, ending inivisibility
[roll0]
[roll1]

Bigmac
2007-09-28, 04:59 PM
Sorry, running a bit short on time today, and I'm going to have to work on my computer this weekend. So here goes. Threshkor stays put (no action in time= your character doesn't do anything). The other two Dolgrims reamin in the swarm too naeusated by the bats to do anything. Top of the next round, Caskin is up. VE, if you want to update the map it would sure help me out. I'll fancy this up later so it flows better, but it should keep combat rolling for now.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-28, 06:34 PM
Butch
(Init: 13 | AC: 17 | HP: 18)

Butch moves past everyone to engage the creature. "Taste cold iron, demon!"

[roll0]
Move Action: I1->I7 F1
If I7 F1 is still occupied continue to E2 (preferably) or F2 depending on occupancy.
This likely provokes an AoO from #3
Standard action: Attack #3
[roll1]
[roll2]

If 20 on attack:
[roll3]
[roll4]
If drop #3 Cleave #2
[roll5]
[roll6]

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-29, 07:15 AM
Caskin
( Round 2 | Init: 22 | AC: 17 | HP: 12/14 | Position: E0 )

Azmirith's reappearance near the swarms of bats, causes Caskin to allow them to vanish to avoid him becoming swarmed. Though the sound of combat continues, the din of wings and screeching calls ceases instantly.

With no other safe place to replace them, he falls back upon his less effective, but still useful eldritch blast. Taking aim at one of the Dolgrims earlier swarmed, he lets fly a red-licked black bolt.

OOC<free> cease concentration
<standard> e-blast at Dolgrim #2: (1d20+5)[8](13) for (1d6+1)[6](7) (both include +1 for PBShot) vs the Dolgrim's Touch AC.

Dolgrim's #1, #2 and #4 take 1HP each from bleeding.

~*~

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/5576/mppage2pb2rnd2alv3.png

Bigmac
2007-09-29, 07:55 AM
The Dolgrim in front of Cecil attacks again, using the same attacks that had success the first time, but Cecil was able to see both attacks coming and easily one while blocking the other with his sword. The creature is surprised by the mans skill and gives another shriek. Butch moves to engage the creature, slipping past Cecil and moving into the room proper. As he moves past the creature, it attacks with its spear, but misses badly. Perhaps the cut delivered by Cecil earlier effected it more than it appears. As butch tries to swing with as much power as he can muster, he aims too high and misses badly.

Initiative Order:
Caskin
Swarm
Dg3
Butch
Wrench <=
Cecil
Dg4
Azmirith
Dg2
Threskor
Dg1

Wrench is up.

Asmodeus
2007-09-29, 10:32 AM
Wrench

Wrench steps up and unfurls the same parchment a bit more. He attempts to recite the same motions and vocalizations as before, to fire a second magic missile at the creature attacking Cecil.

[roll0] DC 21
[roll1]

Asmodeus
2007-09-29, 10:34 AM
Wrench

Wrench unfurls the same parchment a bit more. He attempts to recite the same motions and vocalizations as before, to fire a second magic missile at the creature attacking Cecil.

Edit: Unfortunately, the spell does not go off as planned.

[roll0] DC 21
[roll1]

Slash_712
2007-09-29, 10:51 AM
Threshkor

Threshkor stays near Butch and is ready to heal him at any point.

MandibleBones
2007-09-29, 04:09 PM
Cecil (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=1664) HP 15, AC 16

Cecil drops back a few feet with a grunt, favoring his leg (5-foot step). He flicks his hand, letting a few drops of acid strike the beast in front of him.

Acid Splash! (1d3=1) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1291608)

Bigmac
2007-09-30, 09:06 AM
The Dolgrim blocking the exit attacks the newcomer who suddenly appeard in front of him. The creature attacks with morningstar and spear, both of which miss the agile ninja by a wide margin. The creature, fearful of this mysterous opponent, takes a step further into the exit and reloads it's crossbow.

Azmirith is up.

After he goes Dg 2 will move to flank Butch (to E3) and attack the fighter, missing with both attacks. Theshkor moves to fill the space left by Cecil (F1) and Dg1 will move to attack someone depending on what happend in Azmirith's turn.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-30, 01:26 PM
~*~

http://img453.imageshack.us/img453/6718/mppage2pb2rnd2bqr3.png

~*~

OOC - BigmacI deduce Cecil's slash closing over as some form of DR, which requires me to ask if the wound healed over totally (I think he did 6?), or if some part of it didn't? It has a bearing on my bat's damage, since the DR would block that. DR is usually in multiples of 5, so if it is DR5, then only Dolgrim #2 would have suffered any damage from the bats, but in so doing, it would still be bleeding (from the Wounding special attack) at 1HP/round, since the idea, I guess, is that any wound won't clot, blah blah blah.

Oh, and you didn't acknowledge Caskin's eldritch blast vs Dolgrim #2--did it do damage or did the scorch, or whatever, heal over?

KCiemir
2007-09-30, 05:45 PM
Azmirith

Azmirith steps toward the dolgrim 4, the one that tried to run from him (5 foot step) and swings again with his morningstar in two hands, swinging it again.

[roll0]
[roll1]

KCiemir
2007-09-30, 06:12 PM
Just to make sure I hit, add action point to attack roll.

[roll0]

For a total of seventeen

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-01, 02:39 AM
~*~

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/411/mppage2pb2rnd2chy3.png

~*~

Bigmac
2007-10-01, 01:10 PM
Azmirith quickly follows in the cretures steps and assults it while it is still busy loading the crossbow. The creature tries to raise it's shiled in time, but the swift ninja manages to strike a telling blow before the creature could defend itself properly. The morningstar caves in the entire right hand side of the thing's head, cracking opening it's skull and splattering gore in a wide arc. The thing crumples instantly into a heap at Azmirith's feet.

The Dolgrim in the corner sees that the exit is blocked. Desperate, it rushes Azmirith while his back is turned. It plunges a spear deep into Azmirith's side below his ribcage. (Azmirith takes 4 dmage)

Caskin is now up, top of round 3.

And yes you seem to have done some significant damage to #2 with your blast. Sorry for missing that.

Citizen Joe
2007-10-01, 01:31 PM
Butch
(AC: 17 | HP: 18 | Position: E2)

Sensing the dolgrims closing in around him, Butch steps back using Azmirith to guard his flank. "OK, demons, you want to play games? How about a riddle... What goes QUACK!"

5 foot step E2->D2
Action: Attack available dolgrim (Preferences 3,2,1)
[roll0]
[roll1]

Citizen Joe
2007-10-01, 01:33 PM
Assuming that drops dolgrim, cleave next available (Preferences: 3,2,1)
[roll0]
[roll1]

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-02, 01:39 AM
Caskin
( Round 3 | Init: 22 | AC: 17 | HP: 12/14 | Position: E0 )

Seeing his eldritch blast's had the desired effect, Caskin presses the point with another. This burst builds faster than the one before, and flies even more accurately, striking the hapless creature square between the eyes.

~*~

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/8228/mppage2pb2rnd2cal7.png

~*~

OOCe-blast vs Dolgrim#2: (1d20+5)[20](25) for (1d6+1)[5](6) (both include +1 for PBS)
CritConfirm: (1d20+5)[9](14) for (1d6+1)[1](2)

Pardon my fluff re my once a month critical.

Bigmac
2007-10-02, 09:04 AM
Seeing the success of his first attack, Caskin presses his advantage and releases another blast at the same Dolgrim (#2). This time the blast connects between the creatures misshapen eyes and burrows deep in to the head, sizzling flesh as the creature falls with a short lived scream of pain.

Butch makes a fowl joke as he takes a strategic step in order to position himself for a mighty swing. The ex-farmer plants his feet and uses his scythe to reap a gruesome harvest. The first Dolgrim (#3) is too focused on Cecil and the others in the hallway to realize his doom was coming from behind. The scythe cleaves the poor creature in half across the midsection and concludes it's deadly arc as the tip embeds into the flank of the other Dolgrim (#1).

Wrench is now up. Everyone can post till #1 is dead or we run out of people. #1 has 2hp left (with DR 5).

Initiative Order:
Caskin
Swarm
Dg3
Butch
Wrench <=
Cecil
Dg4
Azmirith
Dg2
Threskor
Dg1

MandibleBones
2007-10-02, 09:15 AM
Cecil

Assuming that Wrench has not yet ended the threat, Cecil runs limpingly to the remaining dolgrim and takes a swing, hoping to drop the creature.

[roll0] to hit, [roll1] to damage.

Slash_712
2007-10-02, 09:33 AM
Threshkor

Threshkor will try and attack dog 3 I believe with his mace.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Asmodeus
2007-10-02, 10:32 AM
Wrench

Wrench delays long enough to see if the melee combatants can finish the last creature off without him using up another spell. It appears Cecil has the situation well in hand, so Wrench furls his scroll, and puts it back in its case. "Injuries?" he asks, stepping forward to examine his companions functional status.

Only when he looks at Threshkor does he remember he is no longer the sole source of healing magics. "Oh, right. Um, I'll go check the corpses for anything useful instead."

Wrench heads over to the nearest corpse and begins to search it for valuables.

{OOC: Taking 20.}

Bigmac
2007-10-02, 10:37 AM
Cecil's limping assult is enough to finish the last abberation off. Realizing the creatures unnatural defense, Cecil makes sure to strike with enough power to get the job done once and for all. Having eliminated the present thrests, the group gets a moment to catch it's breath. Wrench takes this opportunity to gather up the bodies and begins examining them for whatever might be in their possession.

It will take a few minutes for Wrench to search the bodies throughly.

Citizen Joe
2007-10-02, 11:06 AM
Butch

Butch takes a moment to examine one of the bodies, sketching it with a piece of chalk. "We might have to fight more of these demons, so we should review what we know. First, that one over there flinched in pain when I lobbed that sunrod in. So they are hurt by light. Second, they are resistant to Mr. Cecil's sword, but not my cold iron scythe. Lastly, I think they can turn into bats or summon them or something. I saw a bunch of bats flying off as I entered. Anyway, I drew a picture so we can ask when we get back in town."

Butch proudly shows off his handiwork...

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-02, 02:23 PM
Caskin

Caskin scuttles down the wall, hopping the last feet to the floor, and wincing as he does. "I could use a little touch of that godly magic, if you wouldn't mind, Threshkor."

He glances at Butch's rendering as well as the notes, and chuckles. "Not bad. I'm a bit iffy on the bats, part, but otherwise, it seems fairly spot on from what I saw. Just for thoroughness, you might want to also note that they seem to be susceptible to magic, as Cecil's and Wrench's spells appeared to have effect. Actually, I would correct one thing, now that I recall. Cecil's sword wasn't ineffective, not entirely, at least, as he did finish off the last creature with it. Perhaps it is just less effective than it should be."

Slash_712
2007-10-02, 02:52 PM
Threshkor

"I will do my best." He says to Caskin.
Casting Cure Light Wounds
[roll0]

Citizen Joe
2007-10-02, 03:05 PM
Butch

Butch lets Caskin adjust his picture and then drags the corpses into the far corner (D5) for Wrench's search.

http://home.ix.netcom.com/~jpettit/DolgrimPic.jpg

KCiemir
2007-10-02, 03:35 PM
Azmirith

Looking at the bodies, he sighs in relief. Then, he turns to his companions, and says "Well, we seem to have done much better than last time. Wrench, have you found anything." Then, as an afterthought, "Brother Threshkor, do you have anymore divine healing ready? a was wounded. Not seriously, but too many 'not serious' injuries lead to serious injuries."

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-02, 10:58 PM
Caskin

A few test extensions and lifts of his affected shoulder brings a smile to Caskin's eyes, and a thankful, if overly flourished, bow to Threshkor.

"Thanks to you, I am once again, the scourge of the enemy!" With that, he minces his way to the clot of corpses, drawing a rapier and affecting a dashing pose with blade tip at the throat of a no longer dangerous foe.

"That will teach you to be somewhere...where...." He doesn't bother to finish his broken line of thought, and instead, simply sheaths the rapier, inquiring of Wrench if he's found anything especially interesting in his search.

Asmodeus
2007-10-03, 07:51 AM
Wrench

"Nothing yet. Still searching."

Slash_712
2007-10-03, 09:26 AM
Threshkor

"I can aid you a little Azmirith." he says as he walks over to him.

Casting a Cure Light Wounds
[roll0]

Citizen Joe
2007-10-03, 10:19 AM
Butch

"What about their weapons? I hear demons don't like each other so they need to protect themselves against others of their kind. Maybe their own weapons can harm them."

Butch gathers up the sunrod and monitors the north exit out of the chasm while cleaning his scythe.

Asmodeus
2007-10-03, 10:27 AM
Wrench

"Thats possible. Gather them together, and I will examine them for any special qualities.

Get any Armor or Shields as well."

{OOC: Someone want to kick the DM into telling me what I find?}

Bigmac
2007-10-03, 11:03 AM
As the crew is focused on dealing with looting the bodies and healing, they fail to hear approaching footsteps until it is too late. Butch looks up from cleaning his scythe just in time to see a walking nightmare come to life. The gruesome figure could be considered a mockery of a normal hobgoblin that has wasted into a gaunt figure wearing little but tattered rags. The creature has no eyes and instead of hair the thing has long strands of cilia that weave about in the air. Two long tentacles emanate from the thing just above the shoulders and move about on their own while it's arms remain crossed in front of it's chest. The thing stops at the northern exit to the opening. When Azmirith starts to move to react, the thing speaks up in an unnatural, raspy, voice.

"Halt. You will tell me why you are here and why you felt the need to assassinate my minions. Now."

Citizen Joe
2007-10-03, 12:57 PM
Butch

Butch gets into a defensive stance, scythe at the ready. "We are on a mission of mercy and YOUR minions jumped US! So, I ask you, What are YOU doing here? And why did you have your minions attack US?"

Total Defense for Butch +4 dodge bonus.
Despite Cecil attempting to rush in first, the Dolgrims actually beat his initiative and attacked him first. So they were the aggressors.
*flashes Lawful Neutral badge*

Bigmac
2007-10-03, 01:06 PM
Despite the thing's lack of eyes, it notes Butch's defensive posture and shifts its weight into its hips, crouching a bit as it unclasps its arms and lets its tentacles stretch out a foot in Butch’s direction. "Mercy? Very funny. The blood on your weapon screams how merciful you are. The soldiers were just doing their job, protecting the rear from those despicable animals and their orc leaders. No doubt they assumed you were with them. Seeing that you’re so well armed gives them adequate cause to defend themselves. So spare me your nonsense about mercy. Now, I will ask you for the last time, why are you here?"

Citizen Joe
2007-10-03, 01:36 PM
Butch

"Soldiers!? HAH! I've seen more discipline in a a herd of... Wait... did you say orcs? We've been cutting our way through their filthy beasts for days. You better not be protecting them or so help me, I will split you open before you can take half a breath!"

Asmodeus
2007-10-03, 03:29 PM
Wrench

Looking at Butch confused, Wrench says "We were? I thought we were here to find the crashed airship?

(Turning to the Dolgaunt)What sort of Demon are you? And what were those minions of yours?"

Citizen Joe
2007-10-03, 03:52 PM
Butch

Butch calls over his shoulder, "Well thats just GREAT, Wrench! Now he knows too much. We'll have to kill him just to prevent him from giving up our position to the orcs."

Then addressing the creature, "Alright Demon, put down your tentacles and I'll make this as painless as possible for you."

MandibleBones
2007-10-03, 04:11 PM
Cecil (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=1664)

Cecil lowers his sword only slightly, showing that he is ready for combat but means the newcomer no ill will. He raises a hand to forstall more comment from Wrench, and addresses the dolgaunt.

"We're simply passing through," he says, plainly and honestly. "Your creatures were in our path and attacked us. We saw fang and claw, club and spear, deadly enough force given our experiences in the last day or so - perhaps the beasts which attacked us are serving the same orcs who attacked you, but I know not. What I do know is that we saw deadly force attacking us and responded in kind. The loss of your men is regrettable, but if you'll let us pass without incident, we can prevent more bloodshed in the future."

He surpresses the urge to shudder at the unnatural creature.

Diplomacy: 1d20+1d6 includes action point

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-04, 12:53 AM
Caskin

We really need to learn to watch our backs a bit better....

The thing was gruesome, and at the same time, rather fascinating. He allowed the others to talk, which may or may not have been a grand idea, as it turns out, but if the thing became angry, it would likely go after the one that spoke most threateningly, which appeared to be Butch's job. He shrugged, but at certain spurious facts, he felt compelled to comment.

"In the interests of accuracy, everyone, including...you," he wiggles a finger at the creature, "should know that I was shot in the shoulder as soon as I appeared. I was given no warning. So, don't be blaming us for their fate--blame whoever trained them. If anyone should be upset, it's us, as we were bothering no one and acted only in self-defense."

That was perfectly logical. It allowed Caskin to fold his own arms right back at the thing that had just unfolded his.

Now who's right, hmmm?

Of course, Butch had just threatened to kill the thing, so the wagering on this situation was leaning heavily in favor of more mayhem.

Bigmac
2007-10-04, 10:01 AM
"We'll have to kill him just to prevent him from giving up our position to the orcs."

When Butch utters this phrase, the thing lashes out with it's tenticles and grabs the braggart. The nightmareish creature moves with such speed and ferocity that even those who thought they were prepared to act were left watching as it gracefully dismantled the fighter's defenses. It grabs the scythe in one hand, keeping the blade at bay as it uses its other had to grab Butch's throat and begins to constrict his windpiple. The tenticles wrap around the fighter and begin to squeze as well. They have a covering of fince cilia that Butch is now keenly aware of as the cilia dig into his flesh where they can and begin to suck the life out of him. (8 dmg and 1 point of Con dmg for Butch)

The nightmare turns it's eyeless head towards the group and shouts, "Drop your weapons or he dies!" He then hisses softly at Butch, "Drop your weapon as well boy."

INIT:
Nigtmarish thing
Butch <=
Cecil
Caskin
Azmirith
Wrench
Threshkor

OOC: The thing started combet, but is using a free action to talk. Seeing as how this is a PbP, you can probably get two to three sentences as a free action and you can take them out of init order, but actions must be made in init order, make sense? So while you can talk out of order, you can only choose to drop your weapons or attack in order.

Citizen Joe
2007-10-04, 11:16 AM
Butch
(AC: 17? | HP: 10/18)

Butch fumes like a raging bull, seizes the tentacle around his neck and drags the creature into the room.

[roll0]
Attempting to move from C2->E3 (creature would end up at D2 or D3)

EDIT: + 3 from action point total 18 on opposed grapple to drag creature.

Citizen Joe
2007-10-04, 11:17 AM
ADD action point
[roll0]

Bigmac
2007-10-04, 11:38 AM
Butch struggles against the thing, surprised that despite it's gaunt appearnce the thing is quite strong. While Butch focuses on the tenticles, the creature shifts its weight causing Butch's efforts to only serve to tighten the grip it has on the man. As he tries in vain to move, the creature says, "Figting is useless fool. Your only hope is that your friends are smarter than you."

MandibleBones
2007-10-04, 12:47 PM
Cecil

"Drop him yourself, or you will not leave this room alive," he says, voice suddenly hard. "I say again, leave the boy be and let us pass and you will not be harmed, but if you so much as harm another hair on his body, we will end you here and now - so I swear on my blood as a Brelander and by the spirits of the dragons which flow through my veins." Cecil's falchion does not move, but he makes no move to attack.

Readying an action to cast dimension leap if he doesn't let go of Butch, to bring me directly behind the dolgaunt. If dimension leap is a swift action, as I think it is, I plan on immediately attacking the dolgaunt using what may be my last action point (for attack if I don't roll above 14, and for damage if I do roll above 14.) [roll0] attack, [roll1] action point, [roll2] damage and an additional [roll3] in case I crit.

Asmodeus
2007-10-04, 02:00 PM
Wrench
AC: 19(vt:11 ff:18)

Taking his cue from Cecil, Wrench draws his scroll out again and readies himself to unleash its magical energies at the Dolgaunt.

Bigmac
2007-10-04, 03:30 PM
(Hmm, The Dolguant can't stop the Grapple till it is his turn again in the initiative order. I guess I'll call Cecil's action a ready action and it will have to wait till the Dolgaunt is up to trigger or not. So still remaining to act in initiative order is Caskin, Azmirith, and then Threshkor.)

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-05, 02:17 AM
Caskin

The creature's movements, as quick as they were, were hardly unexpected. Threat begets threat. With Cecil's demand still floating, Caskin chooses to allow it an opportunity to acquiesce.

Caskin steps and leaps to the wall, adhering easily, and scurrying up and across to reach a point some twenty feet overlooking the creature and Butch. Once there, he pivots like a frog on a leaf, releasing his decorated hand from the wall.

"Don't overestimate yourself. It may be that your only chance is that you're smarter than your minions," he says in a voice tinged with sarcasm.

OOCI'm on the wall 15 feet above and to the left of the Dolgaunt, presumably out of reach based on what I've already seen. So, my range is a total of 20' to C-2. I'm technically in C-2, though my marker is offset for the sake of clarity.

~*~

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/5021/mapdolgauntrnd1apz3.png

Bigmac
2007-10-08, 10:31 PM
The dolgrim lets his grip on Butch slip away as it steps back to the room's entrance (B2). It maintains it's defensive posture with muscles tensed and tenticles flailing about. "If your willing to listen, I have an offer for you. You seek the airship, yes? Hmmmm. There is a band of despicable animals about in these canyons, led by some orc. He has traped me in this section of the chasm for now. No doubt he has the north exit watched. If I let you pass, he'll assume your with me and odds are you'll be attacked the moment you try to get down to the airship. Better to hit them from behind while there eyes are on me. I simply want to get back to my home though the entrance just past the airship. I'd be willing to tell you about a small passage that should get you to a different opening if you leave me be. The distracation you cause when going for the airship will give me time to make my escape."

KCiemir
2007-10-08, 11:31 PM
Azmirith

Azmirith walks over to Cecil, and whispers in his ear "Cecil, you should lower your weapon so we can take up his offer. I know enough to recognize a good plan when I see one, and if this creature can point us to our objective, a few orcs are a small price to pay." Then, he returns his gaze to the Dolguant, staring coldly into its eyes.

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-09, 02:05 AM
Caskin

Caskin watches as the creature relinquishes Butch's face, and other things, and moves back to propose an offer. It seemed reasonable, but the path would need to be taken carefully, for certain.

He looked to Cecil for a decision.

MandibleBones
2007-10-09, 11:03 AM
Cecil.

Cecil lowers his weapon. "Agreed," he says. "Tell us more."

Bigmac
2007-10-09, 11:30 AM
"If you travel south, you will find a passage concealed by a bolder next to the wall. Behind it is a passageways that will lead you around behind the beasts."

Citizen Joe
2007-10-09, 11:47 AM
Butch

Butch doubles over, gasping for air and coughing. He cautiously retrieves his scythe and falls back to Cecil's side. "Well, that didn't go quite as well as I hoped, but at least we got some forward recon. *COUGH* Sir, we'll be at a disadvantage to the orc when night falls. On the other hand, if we strike in the morning we will have the light on our side. We can also use the night to plan the assault."

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-10, 01:07 AM
Caskin

The boulder, eh? Ha! I knew it was worth checking, but oh no, we had to move along, hop hop hop!

With a vaguely self-satisfied smirk, Caskin removes himself to the place he was before, near the others, but remains at the same height. It'd been a while since he'd had the need to employ this invocation, and he'd nearly forgotten how much he preferred being aloft above the usual hazards of the floor-bound.

At Butch's rather obvious ploy, Caskin provides some support. Looking rather grave at the prospects, he says, "Yes, yes, I believe he's right. Double back and plan our assault with clear minds." He even pinched his goatee for effect. His brief stint with that halfling stage troupe came in handy at the most peculiar times.

Asmodeus
2007-10-10, 09:12 AM
Wrench

Wrench didn't move. He kept his scroll at the ready, waiting for any indication that he should begin an assault. He considered moving in for close combat, since he would be a much more difficult target to assault than Butch was.

Citizen Joe
2007-10-12, 09:54 AM
Butch

"We can't leave those bodies there. The will betray our presence to the orc and show a weakness that you can't afford. Do you have any other minions to carry these out of here? If not, both of us can grab a couple and take them further inside. I have a shovel to bury them, or if you have some other ritual that could be done as well. Burning would be right out though, since the smoke plume would give away our position as well." Butch ponders for a moment and then takes out the chalk again going over to the wall. "We'll need a way to signal you. But I don't think a signal flare would work." He starts drawing on the wall. "We'll need to go around behind them through this passage. And then signal you so you can distract the orc. Do you know how many creatures we're talking about? We might be able to get some ranged attacks in as well... How much space are we talking about?"
http://home.ix.netcom.com/~jpettit/DolgauntPlan.jpg
Butch looks to Cecil, "Does that plan seem workable?"

Slash_712
2007-10-12, 10:27 AM
Threshkor

"So much blood. Butch, why do you find it necessary to kill?" He says shocked at the bodies.

Citizen Joe
2007-10-12, 11:17 AM
Butch

Butch sighs and turns to Threshkor. "That does weigh heavy on my soul, Brother. I do not have the option of deciding our goals, only the means by which I achieve them. Right now, my tools only allow me to kill, but given the choice I would find another way. I do not do what I do because I like it, I do it because it has to be done. Mama told me, the first time I had to kill a hog, if I did not kill it, someone else would. If no one killed it then it would die eventually without fulfilling its role in the universe. Thus I am participating in the cycle of life. The demon's minions have served their purpose and died doing so. I can respect that, but I am performing my duty as well."

Slash_712
2007-10-12, 01:06 PM
Threshkor

"Indeed. Death truly is a part of life. Why though has it become a necessity to kill? I fear I will never understand. I myself have hit creatures with my weapon, but I never plan on them dying. I just hope that they learn and go away, but that is not the way it works sometimes. Sometimes, you do indeed need to kill something to stop something else from doing the same, but it seems we have taken pride in our ability to end this gift. Why, why?" He says looking up into he sky.

Asmodeus
2007-10-12, 02:08 PM
Wrench

Wrench thinks that these two have clearly lost their mind. Who could be debating theological topics while on the verge of battle?

Then he realized that they must be trying to distract the dolgaunt. Wrench took the opportunity and tried to activate his magic missile scroll.

[roll0]DC 21
[roll1]

Bigmac
2007-10-12, 02:11 PM
OK. Everyone roll init again please.

Asmodeus
2007-10-12, 02:41 PM
{OOC: WHEEE! I'm guessing that my last action counts for surprise round?}

[roll0]

Citizen Joe
2007-10-12, 03:04 PM
Butch
(OOC: Ack! My beautiful cunning plan! I even had pictures:smallfrown: )
[roll0]

KCiemir
2007-10-12, 03:17 PM
Azmirith

Great, more fighting before I heal fully from those weasles

[roll0]

{OOC, maybe I wont get a natural one this time}

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-12, 07:14 PM
Caskin

Shaking his head as he heard something resembling the beginnings of an ethical debate spring up all of a sudden, Caskin clung quietly to the wall, wondering when Cecil would finally smack one of them. Instead, Wrench suddenly attacks the Dolgaunt, an act that seemed to surprise more than just him.

OOCInit - [roll0]

MandibleBones
2007-10-12, 09:14 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

Bigmac
2007-10-15, 01:03 PM
At the first hint of trouble, the creatue springs forth to D2 and lets of a flurry of hands and feet aimed at Brother Threshkor. It manages to land one blow on the surprised cleric. (Threshkor takes 4 damage).

Butch is now up. (If VE can make a map with the chars at the following Locs:
Butch (E4), Wrench (D5), Azmirith (E5), Threshkor (E3), Caskin (Wall), Cecil (F3), Thing (D2).)

Butch is next to act.

Citizen Joe
2007-10-15, 03:31 PM
Butch
"Ack! EARLY DAWN! EARLY DAWN!" he screams, stepping in and swinging his scythe.

5 foot step E4 -> D3
[roll0] Assumes magic weapon still active.
[roll1] also assumes magic weapon still active.
EDIT: Note the additional 4 from action point for a total of 22 attack.

Citizen Joe
2007-10-15, 03:33 PM
I don't trust that attack roll, I'm adding an action point.
[roll0]

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-15, 03:41 PM
~*~

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/2103/mapdolgaunt2rnd1sid5.png

~*~

Bigmac
2007-10-15, 03:49 PM
Butch's attack catches the creature in the side and it howls in pain as the scythe draws blood.

Azmirith is up.

Bigmac
2007-10-17, 11:18 AM
Azmirith moves to C3 and attacks the creature, but misses. Threshkor stands there too frightened by the fury of the creature to move, and it's now Cecil's turn.

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-17, 01:11 PM
Caskin
( Round 1 | Init: 8 | AC: 17 | HP: 14/14 | Position: E-1 | Elevation: 20' )

Positioned neatly behind and well above the tentacled creature, Caskin takes careful aim at the spot between the thing's shoulders. Hand raised, the red and black energy betraying his eldritch nature, sparks across his forearm and roils briefly in his open palm before leaping outward toward its intended target.

OOCEldritch Blast vs Dolgaunt - (1d20+5) = 22 vs Touch AC for (1d6+1) = 3. Point Blank Shot bonuses included. I'm 20' up and technically 5' away laterally, which my basic geometry tells me my actual range is 20.6'. I knew those classes would come in handy.

Bigmac
2007-10-18, 11:00 AM
Cecil moves to flank the thing with Azmirith and brings his sword to bear on the vile creature. The flailing tentacles distract Cecil enough that he misjudges the distance and swings wide of the abberation's main body. Caskin fires a bolt of enery that strikes ture. It sizzles again as it strikes the things flesh leaving an open wound in its wake. Seeing that arcane energy be effective, Wrench unleashes the spell stored on the scroll he was holding. As the magic departs the scroll it forms a solid shape that flies unerringly around the melee and strikes the Dolguant. The thing hisses in pain as the projectile slams into its side. Its tentacles flail about even faster now.

The creature continues to focus on Threshkor. He slams on fist into the cleric's head causing a moment of disorientation. During that moment, the Dolguant steps forward, grabs the priest's head, and spins it 360 degress with a sickening snap of bones popping being heard. Threskor's limp body falls to the ground in a misshapen heap. (Threshkor takes 24 points of damage, killing him)

Butch is up.

Citizen Joe
2007-10-18, 12:47 PM
Butch
Butch swings again, wincing at Threshkor's death.

[roll0]
[rolv=damage]2d4+7[/rollv]

Slash_712
2007-10-18, 01:16 PM
Umm yeah, when exactly was I in initiative order. I was skipped. But okay probably better off without me.

Bigmac
2007-10-18, 05:08 PM
Init order:
Thing
Butch
Azmirith <=
Cecil
Caskin
Wrench

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-18, 05:46 PM
~*~

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/6295/mapdolgaunt2rnd2sgn5.png

~*~

KCiemir
2007-10-18, 06:06 PM
Azmirith

Azmirith steels himself for a brutal fight, but realizes it would be deadly to back down. His only hope, he knew, was to try to take this thing down before any more of them died. With the image of his dying comrade burned in his mind, he swings, to destroy the thing before him.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Slash_712
2007-10-18, 07:01 PM
Okay, I would just like to say one thing before I get left out forever more. The reason why I was not posting, was because I had lost my sheet to the infernal abyss of the internet. Otherwise I probably would have been able to post pretty darn quickly. Hence why my whole last few posts were OOC.

Asmodeus
2007-10-19, 07:41 AM
Wrench
AC: 19(vt11, ff18)

Wrench realizes that this may have been a bad choice of fights, and decides to pull out the stops. He tosses aside his scroll and begins to power his own fists with an infusion, which will make him a lethal force against this creature. As soon as its finished, he moves up to engage the creature in melee.

{OOC: Using an Action Point to infuse Casting Natural Weapon Augmentation into his fists. Augmenting them with Bane(Aberration).}

Bigmac
2007-10-19, 09:15 AM
Cecil gives a cry of rage at the sight of their fallen comrad and strikes at the creature. He manges to hit the thing this time, but the cut closes most of the way after the blade has done it's damage.

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-19, 10:33 AM
Caskin
( Round 2 | Init: 8 | AC: 17 | HP: 14/14 | Position: E-1 | Elevation: 20' )

The efforts of his comrades, so far, didn't seem to be making much more progress than his own. He'd never really put his focus in learning the special nuances of opening the conduit to the region that fueled the most dramatic of eldritch powers, favoring the more subtle, utilitarian manipulation of its substance. Right about now, he wished he'd done otherwise.

Another jet of red-laced black energy shot forth from his palm toward the same point upon the creature's twisting back.

OOCe-blast: (1d20+5)[9](14) vs Touch AC for (1d6+1)[5](6) (both include +1 for Point Blank Shot).

Bigmac
2007-10-19, 11:23 AM
The bolt of energy fried by Caskin flies just past the creature and slams into the ground kicking up a few bits of rock and mud. The thing moved at the last moment, almost as if it could sense the blast coming.

Wrench discards the used scroll and brings forth a different kind of magic, different than any of the others had seen before. Regardless of its source, the magic takes effect as Wrenches hands begin to glow an errie color and begin to hum as Wrench closes into melee range.

Seeing as how he is now surrounded and wounded, the Dolgaunt reaches for Butch once again. This time, instead of grabbing hold of the farmer, it uses its leverage and position to knock Butch off balance, sweeping his legs with one of its tentacles. As Butch falls, the creature gives him one final shot with it's fist. It strikes a clean blow that hits Butch in the jaw with a loud CRACK. (Butch is tripped and takes 8 damage)

The thing then tumbles backwards into the opening of the passage (B2) and hisses "I will destroy you all, you pathetic worms."

Init order:
Thing
Butch <=
Azmirith
Cecil
Caskin
Wrench

Asmodeus
2007-10-19, 12:06 PM
Wrench
AC: 19(vt11, ff18)
AC drops by 2 with charge.

Calling out before the others could act, Wrench says "Don't block my path. I got him."

When he can react, he turns to face the Dolgaunt and charges forward, slamming his fists down at the thing's head.

[roll0]
Mods: +1BAB, +1STR, +2 Charge, +2 Bane
[roll1]
Mods: +1 STR, +2 Bane
[roll2]

{OOC: reserving the right to edit this, if someone does get in the way, of course.}

Citizen Joe
2007-10-19, 12:19 PM
Butch
AC: 17 (-4 prone, +4 full defense) HP: 2 (18)

Butch waves his scythe about trying to fend of the tentacles.

Action: Full Defense
Move Action: stand
This likely draws an attack of opportunity from the creature but that's one less that can hit Wrench.
NOT blocking Wrench

KCiemir
2007-10-19, 02:28 PM
Azmirith
AC:14 HP:12
Azmirith steps quickly in front of wrench, , rolls between the wall and the thing. The beast is so surprised, he can't bring his tentacles to bare, and Azmirith slips by. He then hefts his morningstar and brings it down hard, with incredible strength, on the thing.

Tumble past the thing (right behind it or as close as possible) will attack as well if it succeeds
[roll0] vs DC 25

SUCCESS

KCiemir
2007-10-19, 02:32 PM
alright: attacks

[roll0] (+6 action point for 23)
[roll1]

KCiemir
2007-10-19, 02:36 PM
triple post, but add action point to attack

[roll0]

Bigmac
2007-10-19, 03:16 PM
Azmirith, unimpressed with the acrobatic display put on by the Dolgaunt, decides to show it how it's done and gracefully moves over, around, and through it to close off any hope of escape. Once there, the swings his morningstar with both hands, slamming it into one of the tenticles that was flying towards him. It leaves a small dent in the tenticle that is noticalbe as it is withdrawn quickly.

Cecil, honoring Wrench's request, calls forth an orb of liquid and sends it towards the hideous creature from Khyber. The orb flies true, and as it hits the creature the acid is released sizzling upon contact with the things withered flesh.

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-20, 02:59 PM
Caskin
( Round 3 | Init: 8 | AC: 17 | HP: 14/14 | Position: F-2 | Elevation: 10' )

Sneering at the thing's quick reactions as well as its having moved partly out of side behind the bulge in the stone wall, Caskin scuttles to the floor behind Cecil, and with a short hop attaches himself to the stone spur behind Wrench, smoothly scaling the wall to rise several feet above the warforged.

With a clear line, once again, he thrusts his palm forward and releases yet another bolt of eldritch power.

OOCactions: Move down to E1 (15' down wall), cross to F2 (5'), scale wall to a height of 10' = 30' move.
Attack Sir Icky with a zappy bolt: e-blast: (1d20+5)[18](23) vs Touch AC for (1d6+1)[2](3) (both include +1 for Point Blank Shot). Not much damage, but it's better than a total whiff!

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-20, 03:16 PM
Round 3

~*~

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/2563/mapdolgaunt2rnd3shs2.png

~*~

Bigmac
2007-10-21, 06:59 PM
Caskin moves to a better vantage point and manages to hit the occupied creature with another of his arcane blasts. The thing howls in pain as the energy burns away what withered flesh it has when it strikes him. Seizing the moment, Wrench charges in towards the creatue and brings his weight to bear, striking a mighty blow straight to the things chest. His hands hum increases to a mild roar as it approaches the thing and they let of a blast of energy as they touch the creature. Unfortuantly, the charge set Wrench off balance, and the Dolgaunt capitialized by tossing Wrench to the ground and followes it up with a swift kick that clangs against the adamantine armor. (4 dmg to wrench).

Butch is up.

Asmodeus
2007-10-21, 07:11 PM
the Dolgaunt capitialized by tossing Wrench to the ground

{OOC: Don't I get to make an opposed check against its trip attack? I'm guessing it has a special feat that prevents me from getting an AoO.}

Citizen Joe
2007-10-21, 11:28 PM
Butch
AC: 17 HP: 2/18

Butch steps up and swings at the flailing creature to no avail.

5' step
[roll0]:smallfurious: Wow, I can't seem to roll for sh*t.
[roll1]

KCiemir
2007-10-22, 05:24 PM
Azmirith

Azmirith will let out a yell, and swing at the thing, the anger blinding him so his swing goes horribly wide.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Bigmac
2007-10-22, 05:36 PM
Butch and Azmirith both find it difficult to pin the thing down as it moves graefully between each of thier strikes. The melee also seem to have confused Cecil, who fires another glob of acid that manages to miss eveyone involved.

Caskin is up, followed by wrench.

Asmodeus
2007-10-22, 06:27 PM
Wrench
HP: 11/13
AC: 19(vt:11 ff:18)
May need Prone penalties. -4 Melee, +4 Ranged

Wrench gets to his feet, risking the attack from the Dolgaunt.

Once up, he swings at the creature.

[roll0] (Actually a 10, because of flanking)
Mods: +1BAB, +1STR, +2Enhance(Bane), +2Flanking
[roll1]
Mods: +1STR, +2Enhance(Bane)
[roll2]

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-22, 11:20 PM
Caskin
( Round 4 | Init: 8 | AC: 17 | HP: 14/14 | Position: F-2 | Elevation: 20' )

It wasn't spectacular, but Caskin had become somewhat fond of downing foes by attrition. However, this wasn't the usual situation. He was normally alone and with plenty of room--and time--within which to maneuver. For now, he was reduced to simply focusing his energies into something that seemed to injure the thing more effectively than the metal most of the others relied upon.

Although Wrench had been knocked prone and thus didn't present an obstacle, Caskin nonetheless scuttled upwards to a height of some twenty feet, the same as earlier, before releasing a new gout of eldritch power.

OOCWhich is to say:

e-blast: (1d20+5)[16](21) vs Touch AC for (1d6+1)[1](2) (both include +1 for Point Blank Shot).

Feh. Minimum damage. I guess I meant what I said more than I thought I meant what I said about a war of attrition.

Bigmac
2007-10-22, 11:40 PM
Caskin is getting used to the things movements, and manages to land another blast on target. The blast provides enough of a distraction for Wrench to pull himself up off the ground and easily absorb the half hearted punch thrown by the Dolgaunt. It was able to regain its senses enough to avoid being hit by the punishing arms of the warfored.

Seeing that it is getting worn down, the Dolguant turns to attack Azmirith, latching on with tenticles and arms in an sick embrace that draws the life out of Azmirith. (Az takes 10 points of damage and 1 con damge. The thing is now grappeling with Azmirith, so attacks have a chance of hitting either of them and they both are in square A2).

Butch is up.

Citizen Joe
2007-10-23, 06:47 AM
Butch

In a desperate act, Butch swings as hard as he can into the brawl, heedless of anyone's safety. Knowing only that he must protect Mr. Cecil from this monstrosity.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
Some confusion about melee attacks hitting wrong grappler. If that does apply, use that cleave roll in the next two post (cleave+action boost). If the miss chance doesn't apply to melee, then put that action point into the power attack to increase the damage by another 4.

Citizen Joe
2007-10-23, 06:50 AM
[roll0]+3 from action dice
[roll1]

Citizen Joe
2007-10-23, 06:52 AM
Butch

Boosting that cleave
[roll0]

Bigmac
2007-10-23, 09:38 AM
As the horror begins to feed off of Azmirith's lifeblood, Butch is able to find a way around the rocks for his blade to attack the creature. He hooks the creature from behind with his scythe and pulls, letting the blade cut through the thing as it rips it off of Azmirith. The force of the pull causes Butch to fall backwards once the blade slips free of the creature. The fall is not so dire, however, because the thing now lays in a pool of dark blood. A wide gash nearly splitting the thing from side to side opens its midsection spilling entrails and other strange innards across the chasm floor. The tenticlas flail about for a few more moments before they too lie still.

Asmodeus
2007-10-23, 10:00 AM
Wrench

Seeing the beast go down, Wrench turns to his fallen companion. "Threshkor!"

He runs over to his side and draws out a healing potion. Unfortunately, as Wrench tries to lift the cleric's head to take the potion, he can feel that the neck is broken. It is clearly too late, and with a shake of his head, he draws the potion back. "He's gone. Dolurrh has him now."

Looking around at the others, Wrench asks, "Any other injuries?" He spots Azmirith, and heads over towards him, this time drawing out a scroll instead of a potion. While Azmirith is in severe condition, he isn't on the very brink, yet, so Wrench will attempt to save the potion for later.

Unfurling the scroll, he'll begin reciting the spell, and if it works, apply the healing energies towards Azmirith.

Asmodeus
2007-10-23, 10:20 AM
[roll0] DC 21
Mods: +3CHA +5Ranks +2Synergy +2Artificer
[roll1]

Asmodeus
2007-10-23, 10:21 AM
Wrench keep's trying...

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

{OOC: Assuming Azmirith didn't stabilize, that puts him at +1 HP. Would be higher, but he would have bled out while I was trying to activate the spell.

Citizen Joe
2007-10-23, 10:39 AM
Butch

Seeing the 'demon' split in half and the last of the writhing cease, Butch lays back on the ground panting and coughing out some blood that hit to his jaw. "Ah yink ah yit mah hung." *cough*

After a few moments he catches his breath and struggles to his feet. Kneeling beside Threshkor, he mumbles a quiet prayer and closes the priest's eyes. Then he covers the body with his blanket and stands.

"Ye han yeev eez ahyeez eer." He points at the bodies in the corner. "Ah yed, ye han yeev eez ahyeez eer. Ye orth ill thee em."

Asmodeus
2007-10-23, 10:53 AM
Wrench

"Butch, I think you've snapped a hinge in your Jaw frame. Hold still while I fix it."

Wrench takes out a few more scrolls (3 of them)

And will try to activate them on Azmirith and Butch.

[roll0] <<Azmirith
[roll1] <<Azmirith
[roll2] <<Butch

[roll3]
[roll4] <<Success
[roll5] <<Success
[roll6]
[roll7] <<Success
Edit: Removed extra unecessary rolls

"Now, what were you trying to say?"

Citizen Joe
2007-10-23, 01:05 PM
Butch
AC: 17 HP: 7/18

Butch rolls his tongue about, "Lalalalalaa... Ah, that's better. Ya, we can't leave these bodies here. If the orc finds them he'll know something is amiss."

He sighs at Threshkor's body. "He didn't deserve that. We'll need to bring his body back with us. I want to make sure he receives a proper burial."

Sighing again he shakes his head. "Mr. Cecil, I doubt we can take much more of this. Azzy and I are both badly hurt and Brother Threshkor was our source of water. I don't know if we'll even have enough water to make it back to our check point. There are some hard decisions to be made. Do we turn back now or press on? If we press on, we can't stay down here in these passages. All our adversaries are down here, and they have fortified their defenses. I don't trust that side passage that demon suggested either. In our condition a common rat could kill us all. I strongly suggest we head upwards to the top of these canyons and proceed with a clear view of our surrounds. I know it is a difficult climb, but both Mr. Caskin and I can make it, and I can haul the rest of you up to the top. Spanning the chasms may be difficult, but we can control that danger. We can't afford to step around a corner into a division of Droaamites."

Asmodeus
2007-10-23, 02:45 PM
Wrench

Wrench starts going through Threshkor's posessions, looking for those scrolls which he gave to him earlier.

"I think we should continue forward. I can tend your wounds, and provide water tomorrow, so long as you have a container. Although I think we are much more likely to find a mountain stream in the valley. Thats what valleys are made by, right?

Though I agree that, for the moment, we should avoid that side passage. With us this close to finding the downed airship, I am in favor of mending our wounds and continuing forward to reach it. The only reason not to would be so I could recover my infusions, but that can wait. The airship is down here somewhere, so we need to be down here to find it.

Besides, orcs are not all bad. There is a chance that since they were enemies of this Kyber thing, that we can convince them to aid us, if they learn we have destroyed their enemy. I'm much more open to striking a deal with an orc than with all the demons in the darkness below.

I say we take the head of the Kyber thing, advance to the north exit, talk our way past the orc guarding it, using the thing's head as proof of our deeds, and then get to the airship and our goal.

What do you say, Commander?" Wrench asks turning to Cecil.

Bigmac
2007-10-23, 03:11 PM
Cecil looks shell shocked for a moment, and stands staring at the lifeless body of Threshkor. He takes a few deep breaths to compose himself before answering Wrench's question. "I'm sorry, but I just don't feel qualified to be considered the leader of this group. I might have been the ticket on board this train, but I definatly not the conductor. I recruited everyone to help deliver horses to Orcbone. You have done that and more. I'm glad to fight by your side, and proud to call you friends, but... Cecil pauses and looks at Threskor once more. He runs his hands through his hear, trying to hide the tears welling up in his eyes. "..I want no more blood on my hands. What we decide to do, from now on we decide as a team of equals."

Butch, you have great ideas and plans, and I'm glad you speak your mind. Wrench, I consider you as much a part of this team as anyone else, and your say counts just as much. Azmirith, you have fought with more grit and determination than many I have served with before. And, Mr. Caskin, I can't thank you enough for your assistance during the fight. As far as I'm concerned, your included in the group as well. I'd like to know your thoughts on this as well.

"Having said that, I think we must press on to find this ship. Yes, there could be more dangers ahead, but who would we be if we left whatever surviors alone to fend them off by themselfs. No, we have come too far and paid too much to turn back now."

Citizen Joe
2007-10-23, 04:46 PM
Butch

Butch grumbles lowly shaking his head at Wrench. "It won't work," he states matter of factly, "That orc is a Droaamite, and he's got his own demon beasts with him. He won't care what you say because he isn't supposed to be on this side of the border. So he'll do everything he can to silence us. Besides, you don't speak orkish and I'm sure my translation would result in all of us getting killed."

Looking back down at the dolgaunt he continues, "Remember also that we just barely managed to stop this beast and it was confident that it would kill us all. It was distinctly worried about fighting that orc, which means he thought the orc was significantly tougher than itself. No, we can't risk an encounter with that orc unless it is on our terms. That means scouting, that means clear sight, that means being in our best fighting condition."

His face turns dour, "And now the hard part... Brother Threshkor deserves a proper burial but not here in these corrupted mountains. Obviously, we can't carry his body around but there is one grizzly possibility..." He stares at one of the 'wonder packs' "He won't fit... with his legs...."

Asmodeus
2007-10-23, 08:20 PM
Wrench

"You assume too much, Butch. The orc may be a droaamite, or he may have tracked the Kyber thing from somewhere else. Orcs are not solely found in Droaam. Also, they wouldn't be Demon Beasts with an Orc. Just normal beasts.

Even if he is a Droaamite, then so long as he cares more about the Kyber thing than borders, we have the advantage in bargaining.

If our plan was to fight the Orc and his beasts, I might be concerned. But since that isn't our plan, we have nothing to worry about from his superior strength and numbers.

The hard part is just a matter of some manual labor. These mountains are not so corrupted. We can bury him here. Its a far better option than mutilating him by cutting off his legs!"

Citizen Joe
2007-10-23, 09:23 PM
Butch

Butch raises an incredulous eyebrow. "Not corrupted!? The only thing I've seen here that WASN'T corrupted was that bird you talked to... and it was scared of this place. I'll accept burying our brother in the valley, but this canyon is cursed."

Butch takes a deep breath and lets out a low decisive grunt. "OK, this is what we're going to do. Mr. Caskin, you're our eyes with what is left of the daylight. You go topside and map out the cliff islands so we can plot our route. Wrench has some used paper that you can use. We don't need all the firewood we have left. We'll prepare a pyre for these bodies. Not Brother Threshkor's though. Wrench, you and I will search the corpses for anything useful and put them on the pyre. I want to keep one of the tentacles and the head of that beast for identification. Maybe one of the claws off the small things. Azzy and Mr. Cecil will watch north and south exits respectively. When Mr. Caskin returns, we'll plot our course and make our way to the northern most point from atop the cliffs. From there we should have a reasonable view of the orc and hopefully the airship. When we are ready, someone will light the pyre as a distraction and we will make our way quickly to the airship for the recovery."

Asmodeus
2007-10-23, 10:03 PM
Wrench

Tilting his head slightly, Wrench asks "Why are you giving orders? You were not made commanding officer. Let us wait and hear what the others think.

I agree with taking Threshkor's corpse out of this canyon at least, but it will have to wait for the return trip. Burning the bodies is a bad idea. It may be a distraction, but it will also draw attention to this area. It will certainly be spotted by whoever brought the airship down and bring them to this area, if they aren't at the crash site already."

Wrench heads over to the bodies of the Dolgrims from earlier and tries to finish his task of searching them for valuables.

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-24, 10:31 AM
Caskin

For the time being, Caskin had remained where he was: twenty feet aloft along the rock face. He felt more comfortable there and could hear the conversation just as well as if he were on the ground.

He nodded to Cecil at his compliment, but chose not to speak at that juncture. Cecil seemed a decent sort, and Caskin felt a twinge of sympathy for his situation. It wasn't entirely unlike his own when he was conscripted to join this effort. At least, though, he wasn't charged with the success or failure of it, nor the lives of others. He threw a glance at Threshkor, and his question to Butch about so much killing being necessary seemed sadly prophetic.

His attention snapped up when Butch and Wrench began to argue plans. When Wrench moved off to resume searching the corpses, and Butch didn't immediately respond, Caskin finally interjected.

"I can scout up top to get a fix on the passageways that have open ceilings. I'd rather not go very far afield, though. This sort of terrain hides weak spots, and I fall far less gracefully than I climb. However, I will check up ahead on this path we've taken so far, and also backtrack to the earlier room where the boulder is. That side passage the creature mentioned may actually be valid, as it was masked off by that boulder. I'll see."

Caskin scratches his temple and addresses the question of the orc. "I suppose it's important to know that I am fluent in the orcish tongue. Many of my House kin are orcs, or half-such, and yes, as Wrench pointed out, not all orcs are the bloodthirsty, low-brow type some believe them all to be. The issue here, is which type was this monster afraid of?"

He licked his lips during a momentary pause, then continued. "If the orc didn't flush out this creature and his minions then I'm more inclined to think they were at a stalemate. That is, neither was particularly more capable than the other. We managed to remove this side of the stalemate, so we probably have a fair fix on the other. Now, rather than go swinging the head of the creature in front of the orc, which will tell him we've already done his job, and may only spur him to attempt to remove us now that we're injured, we might be better off trying to negotiate from the presupposition that we'll take care of the creatures for clear passage to the airship and no harassment from them. The point being that if we are to attempt to negotiate at all, we have to assume they're trustworthy enough to abide by the agreement. Then, we 'do the job' and present him the head of the creature." He pauses again to consider a detail.

"Now, it makes sense that one of us that isn't bearing any injuries be the negotiator in order to ensure the image that we haven't had any issue with other creatures in this place, already. Makes us appear more formidable. That could be Cecil, Wrench and/or myself. As I'm the only one that can speak the language, I have to be present. Anyway, the presumption here is that I expect the orc will agree to the bargain. Primarily, he will because he has nothing to lose. If we fail, he gains because he will assume the enemy will have been weakened. If we succeed, his job is done for him for little more than doing nothing. It is a win/win proposition for him. Now, we can probably ensure he will abide by the bargain, as I already said, by sauntering up and dumping the head in front of him. If it appears we've done the job so quickly, quietly and without injury, he can only think attacking us would be too risky. Assuming it's at least a passably smart orc--the logic of the situation shouldn't escape it. He might wonder why we're even bothering to ask him to leave us be if we're powerful enough to dispatch the creature and his minions so easily, but I wager he'll be worried enough about the answer to even ask it. If he does, we can just smile knowingly and let him stew."

Again, he pauses to consider.

"The only sticky point would be if this orc is here to loot the airship. That could cause him to risk attempting to remove us in order to keep us away from his goal. It's too bad we weren't able to get the creature to provide more details of this conflict they were having. Even so, it doesn't appear these two groups were actually preventing each other from getting to the airship. The thing said the orc had him pinned down here. If so, the orc could easily just make his way to the airship and leave a token guard behind to provide the illusion they haven't left. But, we'll just have to take a chance on that count. That is, of course, assuming we attempt the negotiation route. Else, we're going to have to use everything we have to heal up and hope Threshkor's loss isn't enough to drag us below the point where we can fend them off."

He mentioned nothing about the disposition of Threshkor's corpse. It was both out of his area of usual concern, and he had no particular ideas that seemed more appropriate than those already put forth.

Asmodeus
2007-10-24, 10:41 AM
Wrench

"Advance knowledge would be beneficial, no matter the course we take. Azmirith has done scouting for us as well. Perhaps since his wounds are healed, he could take the low route, while you take the high route? Thats if he's willing, of course.

That would give the rest of us time to finish preparations."

{OOC: I may have to kick the DM, if he doesn't tell me what kind of loot is on the bodies, including the dolgaunt's and Threshkor's.}

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-24, 12:05 PM
Caskin

Caskin looks to Azmirith, then says, "If he cares to do so, it's certainly fine by me. Oh, I almost forgot. I can handle the water issue, too, especially if it's going to cost Wrench an infusion." He slips one of his wands from his belt and twirls it between his fingers before putting it back. "Never leave home without one."

Asmodeus
2007-10-24, 12:07 PM
Wrench

Momentarily distracted from his search, Wrench asks Caskin, "Do you mind me asking, how many wands do you carry? What sorts are they?"

Citizen Joe
2007-10-24, 02:21 PM
Butch

Butch grumbled angrily, "Look, momma always told me, if the fox wants the eggs you don't offer him the rooster. That means we can't make plans to negotiate with this orc until we know what he wants. We need some idea of what this area looks like. Get us the map and we'll figure out where to send Azzy for scouting. "

KCiemir
2007-10-24, 02:33 PM
Azmirith

Azmirith had remained where he was, lying in a pool of blood, both his own and that of the beast. The thing had knocked him unconscious, and he was just getting back to his full capacity. Hearing the last remark of Butch, he quickly sits up, saying "Butch, I think that I may not be in the best of conditions for scouting. I am still slightly wounded, even after the healing Wrench bestowed on me. The thing also reopened the wounds of those weasels the other night, and I feel weaker than before. I think I would prefer if we rested for a while, just so I could regain some strength."

he then stands up, and continues"perhaps I am not the most diplomatic person, but Butch is right. We can't go offering any orcs a bargain if we don't know what their goals are. Shame we couldn't get more out of that thing before the fight. Caskin, I think you and wrench should go, together you form a formidable force."

Asmodeus
2007-10-24, 03:13 PM
Wrench

"Me? I'm not very quiet.

Plus, I should stay and check the items we've recovered."

Wrench resumes his search of the fallen bodies.

{OOC: Hello? Loot? DM? Loot???}

Asmodeus
2007-10-25, 12:35 PM
Wrench

Wrench takes a wand, two potions, a scroll, and Threshkor's weapon and shield. He leaves the holy symbol on the Cleric, thinking it best that it stay with him.

He also takes the slippers, potion vial, and the amulet from around the dolgaunt's neck, and sits with them for a minute, to examine them for any magical signatures.

Asmodeus
2007-10-25, 12:42 PM
Checks to Identify items as magic:

[roll0]
[roll1]

DC 15 for both checks.

Asmodeus
2007-10-25, 12:51 PM
Forgot a check.

[roll0] DC 15

Citizen Joe
2007-10-25, 01:25 PM
Butch

Butch studied the pile of gear coming off the creatures and then thought back through the gear the group brought along. "I can't help but thinking we can do something with this stuff. Hmmm... I wonder... do you think the orc might fall for the double bluff? We start by sealing the south end of that secret passage the demon spoke of. Then we prepare a landslide trap a bit inside the north exit from these ravines. Mr. Caskin could open up with a fine 'how do you do.' and then dart back into the chasms. When the orc chases him, we set off the landslide behind him to delay his progress returning. Then we rappel down and make for the airship. There, we hide while Mr. Cecil makes those lights of his near the exit from the secret tunnel. When the orc clears the landslide, Mr. Cecil sends his lights into the tunnel like we're all escaping. Then the orc chases into the secret tunnel and we seal that exit. It will take him days to escape, which will give us time to rest and then depart in the morning."

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-26, 07:06 PM
Caskin

Blinking several times as he considers the alternative plans, he eventually shrugs and says, "I tend to think a less elaborate plan is more likely to succeed. Either way, I'll go make that map of the fissures and have a peek into some of the nearer branches."

Still clinging to the wall, Caskin reaches around to swing his pack a bit forward, rummages briefly and withdraws a sheet of clean paper, a small vial of black ink and a pen. As he did, he replied to Wrench on the topic of the wands he carried.

"Simple spells, and most are close to empty. Prestidigitation, I showed you earlier, cure light wounds, endure elements, and create water. Except for the first, the rest have ten charges left. Hmm. Odd how that worked out. Anyway, just basic solitary traveler fare."

Rearranging himself, he climbs his way to the brushline, salutes and announces, "This shouldn't take long." Then he disappeared behind the veil of twisted twigs and spiky leaves, leaving behind only a few clods of dirt that exploded as they hit the stone floor.

Asmodeus
2007-10-29, 10:12 PM
Wrench

Wrench takes the slippers and amulet over to Cecil. "Commander, I can detect magical energies in these. I was not able to detect anything in the potion. I suspect it must have some sort of significance though. Perhaps holy water, or else a magical signature I was unable to detect. I'll try to identify the details of the items after we rest, unless you have a way to discern more information now?"

MandibleBones
2007-10-30, 06:19 AM
Cecil

"I don't, Wrench, but thanks for trying." He looks vaguely haunted. "And please, don't call me commander. Cecil is fine."

Asmodeus
2007-10-30, 08:06 AM
Wrench

"Yes, Commander."

Wrench heads over towards Butch. "Do you need help with anything?"

Citizen Joe
2007-10-30, 09:34 AM
Butch

Butch sighs in response to Wrench, "I dunno... It's just been bugging me what Brother Threshkor said about needing to kill. I mean, right now, I don't see much choice. We've overextended ourselves and now we need to clear out all the dangers or risk being killed in our sleep. I can't help but think we could have done something to avoid all this."

When Caskin returns with the map, Butch takes a quick glance and gasps. "Shavarath," he mumbles under his breath. "He's close, may have heard the fight."

"OK, we need to secure these two openings first. We don't want to engage yet, but we'll need these passages secured for the assault. With those two passages secure, Mr. Cecil can keep station in the north passage. Wrench can take the southern passage. I'll climb up and over this east wall to take up a high sniper position along the south wall. Mr. Caskin, we'll need you to assist Azzy into position. Follow this western ridge north to the end and prepare a rope to rappel down to the airship. When Azzy is ready, Mr. Caskin returns to a position on the center spire overlooking the ledge. We'll need to work out a signal, but when everyone is ready, Azzy descends and sneaks over to the airship. We'll prepare a note explaining to any survivors what is going on. Ideally, we slip the survivors and our package up and out of the canyon without alerting the orc. If Azzy gets spotted, the rest of us need to strike. Mr. Cecil and Wrench should maintain their cover in the tunnels to prevent getting flanked. I'll drive creatures towards you with arrows. Mr. Caskin will lend fire as well."

Butch looks around to make sure everyone understands. "OK, next up is signals. Before I come up with some obscure difficult to accomplish signaling system, do any of you have some sort of magicking that accomplishes that?"

Asmodeus
2007-10-30, 09:40 AM
Wrench

"What sort of signals are you looking for?"

Citizen Joe
2007-10-30, 10:03 AM
Butch

"Well, I figured we could cover and reveal sunrods in some flashing pattern. But I'm worried the orc could see that. We'll need a signal that everyone is ready and in position. We'll need an abort and withdraw signal. We'll need an attack signal, although that will be pretty obvious. Azzy will need a set of signals to indicate his success level. Like, when he makes contact, when he's about to depart and when he needs to return for further instructions."

Asmodeus
2007-10-30, 10:13 AM
Wrench

"I don't have anything to fill that need at the moment, but I will work on creating something more effective after we finish this task.

I think we should stay together for the moment instead of splitting our forces. If the Orc does turn out to be hostile, and he catches one or two of us on our own, and he has several wild creatures under his command, he might be able to eliminate us before the rest of the party can come to assist.

He has superior numbers. Our best plan would be to keep together, and be able to use our full force to ensure a successful retreat, if the diplomatic efforts fail."

Citizen Joe
2007-10-30, 10:49 AM
Butch

"I see your point, Wrench, but that is why I'm insisting on the ground force staying in the tunnel. That will restrict his advantage to one on one. Just adopt a defensive stance and let the ranged assault wear down the enemy. That should force a retreat and we can just hold him back while Azzy finishes up with the airship..."

Pondering the layout, "... I am worried about the positioning. This all assumes the orc is on this ledge and not at the airship itself. But that is what the abort signal is for."

Asmodeus
2007-10-30, 11:08 AM
Wrench

"That makes sense. A good suggestion about the defensive stance. I can form a reasonably secure defense as a front line, and the rest of you can shoot over my shoulder.

However, I would prefer to keep Azzy with us. If he separates from us and our defenses break down, we will have to retreat and leave him behind. I don't like the idea of that. Also, his skill will be invaluable in combat if we must engage in it. And if we don't need to, then all of us can reach the airship together. I would not lightly give up my chance to see one up close."

KCiemir
2007-10-30, 12:22 PM
Azmirith

Azmirith considers, and says "Wrench, I am glad for your concern, but I think that as long as we have signals to communicate our positions, I could reasonably certainly make it back on by own. I am probably the best at sneaking by them, so it would make sense to do allow me to do so. I am not, however, the most personable among us. Indeed, I would probably be more of a hindrance in negotiations with the orcs, if such negotiations occurred. It is late, and Orcs have an advantage at night. I suggest staying here, and building some defense at the switchback in the tunnels. It is our best choke point. Indeed, wrench could just stand there all night, and we would have an instant alarm if something happened. We all could rest now, or at least I could, and then tomorrow, before first light, I creep out, and try to make it to the airship. You then confront the orcs in daylight, and try to gain passage to the airship. if you make it, we are golden, if not, I can try to lead the survivors back, and ultimately surprise the orcs by coming at them from behind."

Citizen Joe
2007-10-30, 12:30 PM
Butch

"Well, that pretty much negates the whole 'bypass the orc' tactic. That means confrontation... OK... Wrench, take up Threshkor's shield and go defensive. Azzy will take the climbing harness and be high guard on the north passage. Bring up those extra crossbows and have them loaded and ready during the fight. Caskin is high guard above Wrench in the south passage. I'll take the second harness and take up a spot on the south wall. We should get a good crossfire situation. When everyone is ready, we signal and then I'll fire a sunrod onto the ledge to announce our presence. Caskin will then call for the orc's surrender. That should flush him out and we open fire. We don't want any confusion so make sure you announce that we are Brelish Military. Offer him safe passage out and tell him not to give us cause to kill him. We must negotiate from strength and he'll very likely attack anyway. The first couple volleys may convince him otherwise so it will be Caskin's responsibility to decide if its worth a second parley. A good sign would be if he retreats. I've heard orcs can go into a blood rage, and all we can do is put him down at that point."

Asmodeus
2007-10-30, 12:42 PM
Wrench

"Azmirith, I have the utmost confidence in your ability to avoid detection, but that isn't the skill we need right now.

Butch, I'll take the lead, and announce our presence. No sunrods flung about, no shouting out surrender demands.

We are going to talk to him first, and only resort to force if he's unreasonable. If you don't think you can assist in being diplomatic, then its best to just keep a hand on your weapon, and stay quiet. Do not draw or fire, unless I say."

With that, Wrench will take up his gear, and head out towards the north passage.

Citizen Joe
2007-10-30, 01:09 PM
Butch

Butch reaches out quickly to stop Wrench. "Whoa there. Full plan first and everyone knows their roles. Nobody goes off half cocked."

Asmodeus
2007-10-30, 01:11 PM
Wrench

"We have a plan. We go talk to the orc. If, and only if, that fails, then we use force to reach the airship. At that point, we get what we came for, and then we go home."

Wrench likes his plans simple, and he continues to head north.

Once he reaches the end of the path, he'll raise his voice and call out "Hello? Is there anyone here? We come in peace!"

KCiemir
2007-10-30, 02:28 PM
Azmirith

Azmirith looks at the others, shocked. "Oh s**t! people, get you stuff, back him up. looks like another uncoordinated fight on our hands!!"With that, he picks up his morningstar, straps it to his waist, and pulls out and loads a crossbow. He then gets himself situated behind the wall that Wrench just stepped around, his back plastered against it and his crossbow at the ready. He signals at the others to MOVE.

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-30, 03:14 PM
Caskin

Caskin looks very dubious, and shakes his head from side to side as Wrench stalks off into the corridor.

"We had the opportunity to scout further...I don't know why our resources are being squandered," he remarks disappointedly.

With that, Caskin climbs the wall again, this time to the brush line some forty feet above and follows the contour of the passage north, remaining some distance behind Wrench, judging his pace when he turns out of sight.

The waterfall can be heard more and more clearly as he moves, making it increasingly difficult to hear much beyond its rumble.

Citizen Joe
2007-10-30, 03:39 PM
Butch

"HOLD IT MEN! We secure this room and make our stand HERE!" Butch seems furious. "Wrench is 'forged... That's what they were built for. Now get back here and guard that entrance. If Wrench is right and they are friendly, then he'll find out. If they aren't we'll know right away."

MandibleBones
2007-10-30, 04:47 PM
Cecil

Cecil follows Wrench. "No offense to your plan, Butch," he says, taking the khyberthing's head if he can, "But the new plan's already in motion."

Cecil will keep the dolgaunt's severed head plainly in view, if he can - and will avoid touching it with his hands as much as possible.

KCiemir
2007-10-30, 05:17 PM
Azmirith

Azmirith says back to Butch, just loud enough for him to hear, "I am guarding the entrance. And, you said yourself that we should have areal cover fire. Caskin should be up there if it comes to blows."

Citizen Joe
2007-10-30, 06:10 PM
Butch

"Sonovacrap!"

Butch grabs one of the crossbows, loads his sunrod into it and fires it over east wall and onto the ledge beyond.

Asmodeus
2007-10-30, 06:59 PM
Butch

"Sonovacrap!"

Butch grabs one of the crossbows, loads his sunrod into it and fires it over east wall and onto the ledge beyond.

{OOC: Can he do that?}

KCiemir
2007-10-31, 02:27 PM
Azmirith
Azmirith will slip around the corner, to where wrench and cecil went, but go to the northern exit to keep any orcs from coming around and flanking wrench. He will try to remain inconspicuous, sticking to the shadows on the west side.

[roll0]
[roll1]

OOC: will post in the OOC thread for a better description of position.

Bigmac
2007-11-01, 12:22 PM
Plains carefully laid or not, the Warforged once again asserted control of the situation by charging ahead. As he makes his way towards the opening, he notices several more deal bodies akin to the smaller creatures the party vanquished. Butch grabs a sunrod and tries to fire it with a crossbow. The rod, not designed for such use, does not catch the cable mechanism properly. It manges to fly a few feet while spining out of control, but it has no hope of getting past the immense canyon walls. Caskin manages to catch the flashing light as he walks along the walls above and behind Wrench and Cecil. Azmirith decides to head towards the northern entrance to the plateau of sorts.

The opening in the chasm is filled with dead animals twisted by some magic and creatures from khyber lying motionless in pools of blood. At the sight of Wrech, and his proclamation of the parties presance, a hawk on the far side of the opening takes flight from its pearch and gives a shrill cry. It then heads east away from the party.

Asmodeus
2007-11-01, 12:28 PM
Wrench

Wrench takes in the scene, and is grateful that he has no sense of smell for a moment.

He calls back to his companions "Nothing here but dead things so far."

He moves east, as far as halfway across the ledge if nothing else stops him, trying to see where the Hawk is heading, and wondering if it is another creature under control of the orc?

Bigmac
2007-11-01, 12:37 PM
As Wrench makes his way into the room, he becomes aware of the water channeled across it. It looks to be 8 to 12 feet across, and at least 5ft or more deep. A gigantic waterfall spill onto the northern outlook, gathers into a small pool, before plummeting once more into the bowels of the earth. The roar of the water spilling over the ledge is quite loud. As he looks to see where it flowes over the ledge, he can't help but notice the wreckage of the airship down in the opening to the north. To the east, directly across from where Wrench entered is another opening that turns north after a few feet.

Asmodeus
2007-11-01, 12:51 PM
Wrench

Turns to Cecil and says "Commander, this battle must've been the source of the fighting sounds from before. At least it doesn't seem to have involved anyone from the ship.

Lets put that climbing gear to use and get to the ship."

MandibleBones
2007-11-01, 05:52 PM
Cecil

"Agreed - that's what we came here for, anyway." He holds the head of the dolgaunt in his gloved hands. "I really hope the Orc is willing to talk before anybody does anything rash."

Velvet Elvis
2007-11-01, 08:53 PM
Caskin

The conflict appeared to have consumed a fair number on both sides. If only the four dolgrim and their commander were left, it seemed quite possible that the orc may only have a token force left beyond himself. Still....

"No doubt that hawk is a sentry, which means we will be observed if not outright attacked as soon as the orc and his minions can react to its call. I don't think being in the act of climbing down a rock face at that moment will be a good idea," warns Caskin as he moves forward into the chasm, while remaining attached to the wall well above the carnage.

Asmodeus
2007-11-02, 10:27 AM
Wrench

"Wow. I wish we had some kind of hawk to scout for us. I wonder if I could build something like that?

Too bad we don't have a spyglass or something. Anyone see any activity around the ship?"

Wrench will get close to the ledge, and look at the ship, trying to see if he can spot any movement.

{OOC: take 20 if possible, for a total of 18}

Citizen Joe
2007-11-02, 11:27 AM
Butch

Butch eventually makes his way through the passages to the north exit near Azmirith, "Well, what's the situation?" Drowned out by the waterfall he asked louder, "I said, What's the situation?"

Taking a peek around the corner he notes, "Hey, I think I see the airship down there. Think we should signal them with a sunrod?"

Asmodeus
2007-11-02, 12:14 PM
Wrench

"The situation is that we haven't found the orc, but we did find the source of the fighting sounds from earlier. Also, we've found the airship, and will be approaching it as soon as we are reasonably sure we won't be ambushed in the process.

Personally, I'd rather avoid the signal for the moment. We still don't know where the orc is, and we definitely don't want to spook him into a fight."

{OOC: Yes, i'm posting a lot. I've been having withdrawal for the last few days with BigMac not posting as much. Sue me!}

KCiemir
2007-11-02, 03:13 PM
Azmirith

Azmirith considers, and remembers in his training as a ninja that one should never remain stationary when the enemy knows where you are.

" I don't think that we will be any better waiting here for the orc to come. He will have time to prepare, and if indeed he has fewer numbers now then before, He may choose to make us wait here, scared of an attack, until our food supplies run low so he can avoid losing the remainder of his force. I say we get to climbing down now, so that:
one: if the hawk is a scout, we will make sure it's information is inaccurate, we will be down before they get here.
two, if it was not a scout, then we have no reason to wait here for the orc to find us on his own.

So, lets get climbing!"

Citizen Joe
2007-11-02, 06:11 PM
Butch

Butch sets his scythe aside and starts to break out the climbing gear. "Alright come on, we don't want to be near the water for this, too slippery." Grabbing up his scythe he makes his way around the water to a spot about ten feet from the edge.

He looks about and notes the cave on the east side. "Someone secure that opening, we'll be vulnerable during this operation."

Breaking out three lengths of rope (50' hemp, 100' silk, 80' knotted silk) and the grappling hooks. He grumbles at the knots and fastens a grapple to one end of the knotted line. "This is gonna be bumpy on the way down." Then he splices the smooth length of silk to the end of the knotted length. "Let's get some spikes in the ground for some secure footing up here... I'll anchor topside and act as break. Mr. Cecil, you need to decide who is going down first."

With the silk ropes spliced together he hands off the grapple. "Alright someone start fishing for an airship." Then he starts splicing the hemp rope to the end of the silk line.

http://home.ix.netcom.com/~jpettit/CliffDescent.jpg
That corpse at the cliff edge will be used as padding to prevent the rope from rubbing.

Asmodeus
2007-11-02, 06:56 PM
Wrench

Wrench seriously considers swinging down into the pool at the bottom of the waterfall, tarzan-style, but when he notices that the water from that pool flows down into the bowels of the earth, he decides against it.

Instead, he'll just help Butch by pounding a few pitons into the rock face, to make a good first anchor for their decent.

When he sees Butch tying multiple ropes together, and taking a long time to do it, he'll say "That seems complicated. Why not just tie two ropes together, and we can rappel down?" When its time to come back up, we can climb fairly easily with the gear, and a rope to brace against the cliffside."

{OOC: Ignore the stuff in the spoiler. I've decided not to do it.}

{OOC: I've been wanting to do this forever.....

And I can make funny pictures too!}

Wrench

Wrench takes a couple Pitons from the climbing gear and secures one end of Butch's rope to the top of the cliff.

He'll wait for Butch to tie the ropes together, then take the rope. "I'll go secure the other end down below."

He then runs out about 80 ft of rope and walks to the edge of the ledge. Wrench shouts "GER-ON-IMOooooooo!" and leaps off the ledge, gripping the rope tightly. He swings down on the rope until he's over the pool at the bottom of the waterfall and releases, falling down into the water.

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/6203/geronimouh9.th.jpg (http://img160.imageshack.us/my.php?image=geronimouh9.jpg)

Velvet Elvis
2007-11-03, 12:23 AM
Caskin

At Butch's remark to secure the eastern passage, Caskin looks toward it, considering. A few moments of inaction are followed by him making his way back to ground level, then darting across the floor to reach the other side where he scales the wall to a height of about ten feet. Once in place, he peers around the lip of the opening and into the passage.

OOCI'm not sure how everyone else made it across the feeders to the falls, but I'll do the same.

Citizen Joe
2007-11-05, 11:20 AM
Butch

"Injured people may have trouble climbing, despite the rope. After fighting our way all the way here, there's no sense leaping to our death at the last moment. With the main line and a brake line, the worst that could happen is a little rope burn. Free climbing or even using the harness could result in a plummet from even a slight slip. Simple knots won't work with the brake line, it will get caught up in the brake rig. I may not be as good as a sailor, but I know my climbing harnesses and rigs for draft animals. If you think you can climb down on your own, by all means, don't let me stop you. But in this situation, I'm the ox and the rest of you are the cargo."

Bigmac
2007-11-06, 01:26 AM
Butch begins to prepare the rope while the others look over the edge to get a good view of the chasm floor below. The waterfall's roar is defening at close range, and the mist creates a humid air that stinks slightly of rotting fish. Caskin, when he surveyed the eastern passage, didn't see any tell tale signs of orcish presence. As he moves to resume his high up on the western wall, he tires to listen for anything above the noise of the falls. Armirith also watches from his hidden position, keeping a sharp eye out for trouble. The calm lasts for a few tesnse minutes as every sound and move causes the hairs to rise and hands to tingle in anticipation.

As Butch carefully double checks each knot, the others watch and wait. Azmirth, ever alert, manages to spot a pair of shadowy figures just before they burst out of the western passageway. The creatures have the same misshapen appereance that you are beginning to recognize. Chitionous plates along the skin, acid driping from their mouths, and a crazed air about the creatures proudly proclaimes their unnatural state. Aside from these horrid featues, the animals look rather like small bears, but with more elongated bodies and shorter legs. The forelegs are well developed and are equipped with long, strong claws.

Roll Initiative!
Also try to post where you are located (generally).

The two animals have just started to enter the landing with the water (in the mouth of the eastern opening, and 5ft to the east). I'll try to get a map up tomorrow morning.

Here's the map:

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/6550/battlexo4.png (http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=battlexo4.png)

MandibleBones
2007-11-06, 08:27 AM
Cecil

Cecil groans. "We are so dead," he murmurs, preparing to use acid splash again. "See if you can get away from them without fighting," he suggests. "I'd like to avoid any more casualties."

Initiative: [roll0]

Citizen Joe
2007-11-06, 09:03 AM
Butch

"Blasted..." Butch mutters, dropping the rope and scooping up his scythe. Hearing Cecil, he makes for the water.

Start position: About 10' south of the northern most point of the ledge overlooking the airship. (C6)
End Position: Knee deep in water, probably where it spreads out before going over the falls. I'm hoping that the water will wash away any acidity from the creatures. (E4)

Asmodeus
2007-11-06, 10:31 AM
Wrench

[roll0]

{OOC: My starting position is fine as posted on the map.}

KCiemir
2007-11-06, 10:51 AM
Azmirith

[roll0]

Azmirith picks up his crossbow and readies himself for battle, silently.

OOC: edit: SO MANY 1's and 2's on initiative!

MandibleBones
2007-11-07, 01:04 PM
If Cecil can, he's moving across the river (I-3) to attempt to evade the creatures. He'll leave the dolgaunt's head across the river for the creatures to discover.

Velvet Elvis
2007-11-07, 10:41 PM
Caskin
( Round S | Init: 11 | AC: 17 | HP: 14/14 | Position: O-12 | Elevation: 30' )

Caskin didn't have long to wait before something made an appearance. From around the bend, a pair of hulking, bearlike creatures moved swiftly into view, clearly intent on making their way to the room where his comrades busied themselves with knots and ropes.

Having been on alert, Caskin had already warmed an appropriate welcome for anything that looked unlikely to be civilized. The wisping black and red immediately coalesced and shot forward, dressing the area before and over the bear-things with an odd flash of shadowy orange. And then there were bats; thousands of them, all of which welcomed the vastly larger creatures by setting upon them in a frenzy of wings, tiny fangs and shrill cacaphony.

As the dark swarm began its work, Caskin called out to the left, "Unfriendlies on the way!"

OOCSurprise action is to use the Summon Swarm invocation of bats, placed right on top of them. The extra two squares worth will just mill around two open adjacent squares. I suspect it's safe to assume the creatures end their turn just before full combat rounds begin, at their spot on the map, so let's say the bats will be at N12, N13, N14 and M14.

Damage: Creature #1: (1d6)[3]; creature #2: (1d6)[2]
Extra: Both will bleed at 1HP indefinitely (unless they can heal HP damage directly), and both need a DC11 Fort save to avoid being nauseated for the remainder of the round.
Swarm HP: (3d8)[11]

If they have DR3 or better, they skate through without any of this.

Citizen Joe
2007-11-11, 09:21 AM
Butch
( Round 1 | Init: 22 | AC: 17 | HP: 14/16(18) | Position: F5)

Butch put one boot in the fast moving water and thinks better of it. He follows the edge of the pool of water to where it narrows.

Bigmac
2007-11-12, 10:57 AM
Surprisingly, the cratures remain in the cloud of bats, unable to move due the disorentation that a sudden appearence of a swarm brings on.

(Init Order:
Butch
Animals
Caskin
Wrench
Azmirith
Cecil)

Citizen Joe
2007-11-12, 11:46 AM
Butch

Butch takes a few steps back and runs at the narrowing stream, hurling himself across.

double move to get into position then 20' running start broad jump
Difficulty: 5
Base bonus: 9
Armor penalty: -5
Move penalty: -6
[roll0]

Citizen Joe
2007-11-12, 11:49 AM
Somehow, I knew when I was deciding on that action that I would somehow roll a 1... well screw that... I'm using action point
[roll0]

Citizen Joe
2007-11-12, 11:56 AM
Butch

... and promptly lands the middle of the stream with a splash, digging his scythe into the far bank to avoid getting dragged off.

Asmodeus
2007-11-20, 11:33 AM
Wrench
AC: 19/19

Wrench draws a scroll from his scroll case and begins reciting the words to complete the scroll. It will take a few moments before the spell completes though.

{OOC: Casting Summon Monster I
Summoning a Celestial Giant Fire Beetle. takes 1 round.
[roll0] DC 21}

KCiemir
2007-11-21, 04:07 AM
Azmirith

Azmirith is pretty damn tired of being a front-line soldier, and even more tired of getting hit. he stays back, with crossbow in hands, and moves to get a clear shot, and shoots at the nearer of the things.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Bigmac
2007-12-03, 05:11 PM
Butch moves to wade into the water, but feeling the rushing current thinks better of it and moves along its edge instead. The animals continue to be incompacitated by the swarm. They try to howl only to find their mouths full of stinging and biting insects. Caskin, seeing the creatures he called forth doing their job, maintains his concentration to keep the pests on the attack.

Wrench uses another scroll, his incantations becoming more familier each time his compatriots hear it. The ball of energy flies through the swrm, displacing many of the tiny creatures as it makes its way towards the horrid animal in the front and explods on impact. Azmirith fires a bolt, but isn't sure if it hit anything since it is hard to see through the shifting cloud of insects.

Cecil, wary of jumping over the river, steps in front of Butch (F6) and prepares to attack anything that comes towards them.

Top of round 2. Butch can re-evaluate his move and start with a fresh action if he so chooses.

Citizen Joe
2007-12-05, 11:47 AM
Butch
( Round 2 | Init: 22 | AC: 17 | HP: 14/16(18) | Start Position: F5)

Unable to get a running start and seeing Cecil ready himself, Butch changes tactics brings his scythe up for action. Watching the beasts in the distance, he prepares for the impending attack.

Note: This is hoping that the bears would have had to cross too much distance to be able to move and attack in this first round.
Start Position: F5, End Position: ? up to 20' away
Action: Ready action, Trigger: Bear creature crosses 20' range limit, Action: move (up to 20') and attack bear creature.
[roll0]
[roll1]