PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Annis Hag (input desired)

Grey Watcher
2015-12-22, 03:10 PM
So I've been meaning to try and create a 5e update of 3e's Annis Hag (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/hag.htm#annis). I've gotten it mostly done, but I could use some help.

Here she is. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lc6RXi2hUEtm5mgVyRqYs-74jx1Xv6zXfPN8jEB8GUI/edit?usp=sharing)

I picked CR 4 because I figure she's a bit more of a threat in a straight fight than a Sea or Green Hag (CRs 2 and 3 respectively) but not as much as a Night Hag (CR 5). Her Strength score is the same a Clay Golem in 3E, so I used that benchmark for 5E (since 5E scores have a hard limit of 30, I figure superhuman stats don't import on a 1:1 basis). Her other stats are copied straight from 3E and then tweaked (ie I raised her Con, dropped her Dex, Int, and Wis

HP: I went with the max value on the stats-by-CR chart in the DMG. I have no idea what an appropriate amount of HD is, though.

AC: The stats-by-CR chart in the DMG suggests an AC of 14 for a CR 4 creature. Should this be higher? Lower? I'd prefer her to be "easy to land a hit on, but can take quite a beating.

Damage: Still a little fuzzy on how to distribute damage among her attacks.

Final CR: I'll be honest, this confuses me quite a bit. I don't mind if her CR drifts a little, but I'd like her to go no higher than the Night Hag.

Thoughts?

Annis Hag
Large fey, chaotic evil

Armor Class 14? (natural armor)
Hit Points 130? (XdY + 4X)
Speed 40 ft.

STR 20 (+5)
DEX 10 (+0)
CON 18 (+4)
INT 12
WIS 12
CHA 10

Saving Throws Str +7, Con +6
Damage Resistances bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Skills Athletics +7, Perception +3, Stealth +3
Senses Darkvision 60 ft., passive perception 13
Languages Common, Giant, Sylvan
Expected Challege 4

Pounce. If the annis hag moves at least 30 feet straight toward a creaturea nd then hits it with a claw attack on the same turn, that target must succeed on a DC 15 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. If the target is prone, the annis hag can make one claw attack against it as a bonus action.

Actions
Multiattack. The annis hag makes two claw attacks.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target
Hit: ?? (NdM + 5) slashing damage. The target is grappled (escape DC 15) if it is a Large or smaller creature and the hag doesn’t have a creature grappled.

Fog Cloud. The hag can cast the spell Fog Cloud (PHB p. 243) as though using a 1st level spell slot. She must complete a short or long rest before she can do so again.

Illusory Appearance. The hag covers herself and anything she is wearing or carrying with a magical illusion that makes her look like another creature of her general size and humanoid shape. The illusion ends if the hag takes a bonus action to end or if she dies.
The changes wrought by thsi effect fail to hold up to physical insepction. For example, the hag could appear to have smooth skin, but someone toucher her would feel her rough flesh. Otherwise, a creature must take an action to visually inspect the illusion and succeed on a DC 20 Intelligence (Investigation) check to discern tha the hag is disguised.
While annis hags share the same contempt for mortal ideals like beauty, trust, and love that other hags have, they are far more direct and brutal than their cousins. They stalk the wilderness, preying upon individuals or small groups who appear vulnerable and lost. They especially enjoy using their ability to summon unnatural fog to further disorient, confuse, and panic their prey before going in for the kill. If they are confident, they may opt to harry their targets over time by picking of individuals to heighten the terror in the survivors before going in for the kill. Once they’ve killed, the usually leave the mutilated remains behind to frighten others.

When not hunting, an annis hag typically uses her illusory appearance to appear as a friendly giant, a benign fey, or simply an unusually tall old woman to deflect suspicion away from themselves.

Twelvetrees
2016-01-07, 09:57 PM
All of this advice is coming from the assumption that we're trying to balance the hag at Challenge 4.

HP: I get where you're coming from on having the hit points so high, but I think you could afford to lower them to somewhere in the high 80s to low 90s range. Damage resistance will make the hag last for quite a bit longer unless players have magic items.

HD? Not a clue here, either.

AC: What you've got right now makes sense to me. I'd leave this alone.

Attack and Damage: You've got a quite high attack bonus right now, which means that the damage should end up being lower.

Let's put it at 22 damage per round. Over three rounds, the Annis Hag will likely get to Pounce in the first, which should result in another claw attack. The second two rounds will just be normal claw attacks. That's four attacks over three rounds. 22 damage x three rounds is 66 damage. 66 ÷ 4 = 16.5

Final Challenge should still be 4.

Your thoughts on this?