PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class The chosen hero of Hyrule - NEW POLL AT THE TOP OF THE THREAD. Mask.pdf NOW ONLINE!!!

ENDRNL
2015-12-23, 07:00 AM
First of all, I'd like to thank Kami, who's been putting lots of energy into helping me with this class. Thank you, Kami!

SUPER AWESOME POLL

First of all, no, I can't add a poll. I just can't anyway, here it is:

I'm almost finished with the masks and the Ocarina songs, and I'm going to release them together. The big question is if I should use the Teleportation Songs for Teleportation, or give them a special power. I'd like to hear your answer by sending me an E-Mail ([email protected]) with the subject "Teleport" for the Songs to teleport you, or "Spell" for the Songs to have a special power like the others. Also include the reason why I should do that, to get bonus votes ;). Cuz if everybody wants it to teleport, but Spell has a better reason, it might have a higher chance.

But this isn't the end!!!
I'd also like to know what to do with the Song of Healing. Do this by sending me ([email protected]) ideas. The reason of this is because in the game, it lays spirits to rest. But is this legit in DnD? Should this be Turn Undead? Give your opinion, and yoou might get credit for the songs! Subject: "Song of Healing"

Hello, Giant in the Playground forums!

(this is my first custom class, and it's a rather hard one. So please don't hate, I'm doing my best)

Then, the boy clad in green said: "This is enough", and jumped towards the horde of angry goblins. He showed his hand, and a triangle consisting of other triangles appeared on his hand, and a huge blaze knocked out the horde. Then he transformed into a wolf, and finished the leader with his swift tricks...

Yes, this is a LoZ-based class! I was talking with a couple of friends about starting a D&D 3.5e LoZ campaign, and each of us had to create his own character. Because it was my idea, I had the honour to play Link. However, this is a very complicated character, and is different each time he reincarnates. After creating this class, I'll work on makinbg a Hylian race, and maybe some more classes (princess of Hyrule, Sheikah, etc.)

WARNING! THIS IS A VERY COMPLICATED CLASS, AS IT HAS MANY CHOICES TO MAKE, AND A LOT OF EXTRA ABILITIES. A STARTER IS ADVISED (by me) TO START PLAYING AS A RANGER OR FIGHTER, AS THIS CLASS IS BASED ON THOSE TWO CLASSES.

Making a Hero

A Hero can be any Alignment. When a Hero is good, he is called "Hero of ", and serves his kingdom to death, is honest, and loyal.
When the Hero is neutral, he is called "Forest-dweller", and serves none other than himself, the forest, and their closest friends.
And when the Hero decides to be evil, he is called "Shadow warrior", serves his evil master as a slave, and always tries to kill his nemesis.

Most of the time, a Hero leaves his house at a young (teenager) age, leaving all his family and friends behind, to start his journey.
Hit die: d10

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Ability

+1
+2
+2
+2
Ocarina songs, you can remember up to 5 songs.

+2
+3
+3
+3

+3
+3
+3
+3
Choosing Destiny, pick your part of the Triforce

+4
+4
+4
+4
Ocarina songs, you can remember up to 10 songs

+5
+4
+4
+4
Choosing Paths, absorb the abilities of one of the elder Heroes as yours

+6
+5
+5
+5

+7
+5
+5
+5

+8
+6
+6
+6

+9
+6
+6
+6
Better Destiny, get the spell of your Goddess

+10
+7
+7
+7
Ocarina songs, you can learn up to 15 songs

+11
+7
+7
+7

+12
+8
+8
+8

+13
+8
+8
+8

+14
+9
+9
+9

+15
+9
+9
+9
Better Path, your path's ability has evolved!

+16
+10
+10
+10

+17
+10
+10
+10

+18
+11
+11
+11
Ultimate Destiny, your spell is now upgraded, and you are now the mascot of your side of the Triforce

+19
+11
+11
+11
Complete Triforce, you can make one wish

+20
+12
+12
+12
Ocarina songs, unlimited songs to remember... just write it down, right?

Class features

A Hero has a martial weapon proficiency, and a Hookshot proficiency, for this isn't very martial :smallwink:. Armor proficiencies are medium and shields, because I (Link) am in love with the Hylian shield (and Mirror shield), but no tower shields.

Class skills:(and explanations
Balance (fighting on a tigh'rope)
Tumble (rollin' sideways to evade an attach')
Listen (a little voice whispered it in my ear)
Perform Wind instrument (Playin' a magic Ocarina) (yes, wind waker too, cuz it's some kind of WIND instrument :smallbiggrin:)
Handle Animal (C'mon, Epona, you're so awesome!)
Ride (Now I can go through Hyrule Field faster than ever!)
Craft (Instrument) (My Ocarina broke, but don't cry yet, because I can create another one... although it'll take some hours.)
Hide (I'm three feet in front of you, but you can't see me, stupid Bokoblin!)
Use Magic Device (Hey, what's this? Anyway, I know how to use it already!)

(6 + int modifier, x4 at first level)

Ocarina songs: Songs with a magical power. The DM decides which song, and what power. Do choose one of the OoT, MM, ST, LttP and TP songs, or in case of the Hero of the Winds, from WW. The song's notes must be played in the right order in order to succeed. Example: [I]"Player A wants to play the song of Storms, to make it rain. He gets a piece of paper in front of him, and writes down the notes on the scale. He did right. The Song of Storms is one of the OoT songs, so it has 6 notes. Player A has to throw 10 + 6 = 16, and throws 17. He played the song, and succeeded."

Destiny: There are 3 parts of the Triforce you can choose from, and the spells can be used once per day:
Courage: You can't be scared, and get a +4 bonus to charisma. Spell: Farore's Wind, you can teleport out of a dungeon, and teleport right in to the same spot later. Upgraded: use 3 times per day
Wisdom: You are a very wise Hero, and get +4 to (No ****, Sherlock!) wisdom. Spell: Nayru's Love, little different from the game. Add +3 to your diplomacy to convince other people to be your slave. Upgraded: you get a +5 to single targets, or use +3 on a big group of people.
Power: You are very strong, and get a +4 bonus to strength. Spell: Din's Fire, you can use Fire Bolt, using lvl 9 Hero as 1 caster level. You can use Din's Fire 3 times per day. Upgraded: Fire Bolt becomes Fire Storm.

Paths: you get the abilities of a Hero of your choice:
Goddess' chosen Hero:
1. Use a Skyward Strike whenever you want as a normal attack action. It has a range of 20 feet, and damages every foe in its path (still need to roll, though). Upgraded: you now have a reach of 40 feet, and a +2 bonus to damage.
2. Whenever you're outside in the open air, you can summon your Loftwing to fly on. It has a maximum capacity of two medium persons (as shown in SS). The Loftwing has its own page on dandwiki . com (can't post Links, sry (got that one?)) .
Hero of the Minish:
1. You can shrink to minish size, which is Tiny (OK, in game it's smaller, but else it'll be very hard) . Upgrade: Now you CAN shrink to diminutive size! Yay!
2. Your hat has special powers, can talk to you, and can give you advice. What the advice is, is decided by the DM. It's a familiar with human sense (so can be scared too) .
Hero of Time
1. You can travel through time using your Ocarina Song of Time. Use it to go back up to three rounds. Outside battle usable to travel back a day. Upgrade: Song of Double Time: skip time to the next 6 o' clock (AM AND PM). Encounters must be 'encountered', if you know what I'm saying. Song of Inverted Time: everything around you slows down, making you 3 times as fast! These are usable once a day (24 hours after using, so when traveling in future from 6 AM to 6 PM, you can use it again at 6 PM next day) .
2. You get your power from masks, found throughout your journey. They have the same power as in the Majora's Mask game. You can also get them in a random shop, by rolling the D20. You have to throw at least 15 is a hit, though, because Masks. Are. Strong. (and there's only 1 mask, see 'Masks', below)
Legendary Hero:
1. No ideas yet :'(. Help me! (LttP - LA)
Hero of Hyrule
1. Sword Beam: when at full HP, you can shoot beams with your sword. Normal damage, but a +2 to attack. 30 feet range.
2. Only 1 idea :'(. Help me! (LoZ - LoZ II)
Hero of Twilight
1. You can transform into a Winter Wolf, absorbing all of its abilities. However, this also means you lose your AC, and get the Winter Wolf's AC. Upgrade: You become a Huge Winter Wolf, upgrading the Wolf's strength modifier (so BAB too) with +3.
2. You can use a piece of grass to summon your horse (yes, this also means you have a horse. For free)
Hero of Winds
1. Who needs an Ocarina? Now, you can use a Wind Waker to play your songs, allowing you to change winds. This also unlocks more songs for you to play!
2. Tingle Tuner. Yes. The Tingle Tuner. I love this guy. With the same abilities. The prices can vary between DM's, due to their choice of the amount of money they give.
Hero of Trains
1. No ideas yet cuz I hate this guy and game :D. Help me, if you have the time, and like him. (Only Spirit Tracks)

Complete Triforce: your wish can't be any wish you want.Wishes you can choose from are like: "Eternal peace" or "Chaos" or "World dominion". This gives you the opportunity to do this, in a seperate quest, but doesn't just give you it. NO THINGS LIKE: KILL EVERY PERSON I DON'T LIKE. IT HAS TO BE POSSIBLE WITHOUT THE TRIFORCE. Your wish might not succeed, because you failed doing it. The wish only gives you the opportunities. To complete the Triforce, however, is a quest on its own. You must try and find all of the pieces of this holy triangle. You already have the Triforce you already own, now find the other ones (e.g.: Link owns the Triforce of Courage, because he chose the Courage destiny. Now he has to find the pieces of the Triforce of Wisdom, AND the Triforce of Power. They are not whole yet) .

Masks (https://www.dropbox.com/s/btr4pfghc82ewge/Masks.pdf?dl=1) .pdf download

Fierce Deity's Character Sheet (https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwzfzpku5sif38t/Fierce%20Deity.pdf?dl=1) .pdf beta (Masks file is still primary source)

Goron Character Sheet (https://www.dropbox.com/s/dgakkzlhg3ipqg6/Goron.pdf?dl=1)

For ideas, or things I missed, please PM or reply to this post.

JeenLeen
2015-12-23, 02:57 PM
A couple thoughts on the class:

Having full attack bonus and three good saves seems too good, even if the class abilities are subpar. (I haven't reviewed them enough to be able to say if they are or not.) I would recommend having one good save. You can make it the player's choice or dependent on their Triforce decision if you wish.
I'd recommend more class skills. Move Silently often accompanies Hide, even if Link himself doesn't use that skill. Also, make Craft and Perform class skills for all, not just one particular instance (wind instruments). That fits standard use of class skills. I could also see Knowledge (Nature) for a tie-in to the nature theme you have going.
For Ocarina songs, is there a Perform skill check that they have to make to have played the keys in the right order?

For formatting:
I think you will get a better response overall if you edit your post to fit the more standard way mechanics are phrased. For example, instead of "you can't be scared", say "you are immune to fear and fear effects", or whatever the formal wording is for things like a paladin's immunity to fear.

qazzquimby
2015-12-23, 05:15 PM
You want to make this a lot more professional. Avoid informal language, shrink your huge disclaimer (it doesn't even seem like a hard class), and try to use official terms.

roko10
2015-12-24, 02:02 AM
I'd like a more specific writeup of the Ocarina songs. "DM fiat" is not a class feature.

ENDRNL
2015-12-24, 07:51 AM
Having full attack bonus and three good saves seems too good, even if the class abilities are subpar. (I haven't reviewed them enough to be able to say if they are or not.) I would recommend having one good save. You can make it the player's choice or dependent on their Triforce decision if you wish.

Yeah.... I thought about that too. But I used dandwiki's Class Construction System (sry, can't post URL's :( ), and I had lots of 'CP' left. So, I decided to upgrade that part. Lots of other things are rather low.

[QOUTE=JeenLeen;20225996]I'd recommend more class skills. Move Silently often accompanies Hide, even if Link himself doesn't use that skill. [/QUOTE] There are simply no fitting skills to add. I've been looking for a long time to see what'd fit.

Also, make Craft and Perform class skills for all, not just one particular instance (wind instruments). That fits standard use of class skills. Officially, all craft skills should be added separately, and I added those for the magical powers of the Ocarina, so the Hero should be able to craft a new one everywhere. And if you don't have Perform (Wind Instrument), you can't play it. That'd be useful.

I could also see Knowledge (Nature) for a tie-in to the nature theme you have going. Link asa character just doesn't have a lot of knowledge. If you play the game, you'll notice that the most intellectual thing he does is screaming. On the other side though, he knows exactly what something is, even though he has never come to the surface.

For Ocarina songs, is there a Perform skill check that they have to make to have played the keys in the right order? Yes and no. The Hero has to roll his Perform skill to play. The score they have to throw = 10 + [Amount of Keys] . It seems rather high, because the songs can be very powerful. Before they throw, however, they have to write down the keys, on the right place, in the right order. Example: "Player A wants to play the song of Storms, to make it rain. He gets a piece of paper in front of him, and writes down the notes on the scale. He did right. The Song of Storms is one of the OoT songs, so it has 6 notes. Player A has to throw 10 + 6 = 16, and throws 17. He played the song, and succeeded." I'd advise players to write the songs down, in order to remember

For formatting:
I think you will get a better response overall if you edit your post to fit the more standard way mechanics are phrased. For example, instead of "you can't be scared", say "you are immune to fear and fear effects", or whatever the formal wording is for things like a paladin's immunity to fear. If you haven't noticed already, I'm not a professor Elder English (or whatever the name is) , like Tolkien. I think it's obvious what's meant. I had to do this article in a very short time, because X-Mas is around the corner, and I had a lot to do. I will look for a couple of things I should rewrite right now.

Thank you for the reply!

ENDRNL
2015-12-24, 07:55 AM
shrink your huge disclaimer (it doesn't even seem like a hard class)
Sry, already shrunk the disclaimer. I did't know how big it was going to be ;). Anyway, if you play your first campaign, you don't wanna make any choices. You seem to be a rather veteran player (because you are on D&D forums. C'mon! No newb would do that), so it wouldn't be so hard for you to play. However, if I'd think back a couple of years, I could burst because of this class.

ENDRNL
2015-12-24, 07:59 AM
I'd like a more specific writeup of the Ocarina songs. "DM fiat" is not a class feature.
Funny, when I finished the article, I thought exactly the same! I'm currently working on a list of Ocarina Songs, and things they do (Song of Storms -> makes it rain), but some of the ideas are too powerful, so the DM may change them to whatever they want. Second, the songs are learned in the course of an adventure, and thus the DM decides when it's best to learn something.

Kamai
2015-12-24, 04:53 PM
Funny, when I finished the article, I thought exactly the same! I'm currently working on a list of Ocarina Songs, and things they do (Song of Storms -> makes it rain), but some of the ideas are too powerful, so the DM may change them to whatever they want. Second, the songs are learned in the course of an adventure, and thus the DM decides when it's best to learn something.

To me, at least in D&D, if it's important for the DM to hand these over for the most part, then these should mechanically be slotless magical items, and you need to have a few songs that the hero could just learn, even if the DM doesn't want to hand others over. It's fine that it's easier for the hero to activate these songs, or to be able to use these songs more times per day.

Note that in my example, I used the term Hero's instrument to replace the Ocarina to allow for things like the Windwaker.

For example:
Song of Storms

This piece of parchment gives instructions to play a song of power to control the weather. The writing on this parchment is tuned specifically for the Hero's instrument, no matter the form it takes, but other users need 24 hours of uninterrupted studying and translating to use this song's power. Once the song is studied, the parchment loses some of the instructions, implanting the song in the reader's mind, as well as making the parchment worthless.

Once per day, the user can attempt a DC 25 Perform(Wind instrument) check to cause a rainstorm as per Control Weather, although it only affects a radius of 1/4 mile and only lasts for 1 hour. Even if the normal weather conditions make a rainstorm impossible, the weather will attempt to mimic a rainstorm as closely as possible (Hail or Sleet instead of rain).

When the song is used in it's untranslated form, this can be used to cause any weather condition listed in Control Weather, as well as stop all mundane weather and magical weather with a caster level 9th or lower. The performer can also use the appropriate Perform check for the Hero's instrument instead of a Wind instrument check.

Cost 19,800 gp

As far as a less iconic song that can be learned by progression:
Incite Wildlife
Song Length: 5+ notes

This song makes nearby animals and vermin (even vermin immune to mind-affecting effects) hostile to one target within 60 feet for 1 minute. Individual creatures can attempt a Will Save (DC 10 + Charisma + 1/2 hero level) to negate this effect. This song affects creatures up to 1 HD, although if you add 1 note, you can increase this limit by 1 HD.

As a standard action, a creature unaffected by this can attempt a Handle Animal check (DC equal to your perform check) to calm down 1 animal or vermin.

At the end of it, not one of the big songs, but something that feels iconic (Cuccoo Swarms).

Other notes on the class:
The complete Triforce, more than anything, should be a quest goal, not a class feature. At some level, knowing unerringly where the triforce pieces are, or being able to pull some power from the other triforce pieces when you're near would be neat general abilities to throw in.

A lot of the paths also feel really odd.
Goddess's Chosen Hero
The Skyward Sword took time to charge. Maybe make that a 20/40 foot line as a standard action, although it still acts like an attack for everyone in the line, doing full damage.
I assume that you have stats for the Loftwing? If you do, let the D&D rules back you up on how many it can really carry instead of assuming that your hero and everything riding is medium size.

Hero of the Minish
While I'm sure Minish Link had trouble interacting with the full-size world, a lot of that is going to be mitigated by having a full-size party, and you'll find that a Minish hero will almost always be shrunk, or almost never be shrunk. Just something to keep in mind.
As far as the advice cap itself, you could probably keep it simple and call it a construct familiar.

Hero of Time
I would say keep going back 3 days a quest song, but putting some mechanics on going back 1 round or speeding up time might be appropriate here.
The masks could be a good point to have the upgraded ability on, especially if you're willing to template of the PHB2's or Pathfinder's Polymorph spells instead of using DM Fiat.

Hero of Winds
I, personally, would rather see an attempt at the way Link used the same gear differently on the King of Red Lions than being able to shop anywhere.

To add one that I feel represents OoT Link
1. The Hero is always under the effect of Endure elements when wearing no heavier than Medium armor.
Upgraded: The hero does not need a supply of air, and is never affected by extreme temperatures.
2. The Hero gains Whirlwind attack, even if he does not qualify for the feat.

General: Your class should have some ways to get (what I would guess to be) Exotic Weapon Proficencies for things like the Boomerang and Bombchu.
I'm struggling for inspiration, but I feel like there should at least be a path that represents Zelda/Sheik and Ganondorf, as well as any other triforce wielders that I can't think of.
I'd like to poke back at this when there's more to it.

ENDRNL
2015-12-25, 05:06 PM
Coming up with a list of useless and useful masks soon

ENDRNL
2016-01-15, 02:02 PM
Please go and check the Poll above. I'm going to use this system for multiple things from now on!

Kamai
2016-01-16, 03:35 PM
I personally don't like the idea of the song's only purpose being to teleport mainly in the way you're giving these songs out, and that instead they should have their own mechanic.

However, if you had a song that worked something like Word of Recall, there can be a version of these songs that move the recall point. Again, though, these versions of the song need to exist outside of the class so the DM is not beholden to use the specific locations, and feel more encouraged to link these abilities to their own locations.

ENDRNL
2016-01-18, 01:03 PM
Hello, Zelda fans (right?)!!! Masks.pdf is NOW ONLINE!! You can find it at the Mask tab at the bottom of the Thread. Let me know what you think about it.

Kamai
2016-01-18, 11:37 PM
Looking at the masks:
The Blast mask and the Truth mask are outright terrible compared to your other useful masks. Increased Size Category, HiPS, and doubled movement (You should clarify if a person can move up to their normal speed as per normal rules, or if they move at all, they must move double speed) are really nice, and Sleep Immunity is useful (though I think that should be paired with a proactive effect, maybe take 10 on Spot and Listen checks?).

D&D health scales too much for a single blast attack to really be worth the trouble. For that one, how about this:
All of your melee attacks gain the vicious magical property, even if the weapon is not magical. While Vicious is active, you may take 2d6 extra damage to do 1/2 your weapon damage to all creatures (other than yourself) within 5 feet of the target. (Ref DC 10 + 1/2 Hero Level + Charisma mod for half damage).

The mask of truth is a harder one. Looking at the Zelda Wiki, a Disguise Self that only functions against creatures of Intelligence 2 or less (no save) would be weak, but fit an odd detail. It also lets you communicate with the gossip stones, so maybe something that could eavesdrop on magical communication and scrying?

The Hawkeye is kind of nuts. +4 to ranged attacks is a pretty powerful boost. I'd maybe tone it down to granting Far Shot, and only taking -1 on perception checks for every 30 feet the target is away (instead of 10 feet).

Transformation masks: Do dexterity/strength change like Enlarge/Reduce person when you change sizes? Other than that, I think the Goron roll attack should start as a 2-handed weapon (getting 1.5x strength), and get more damage bonuses the faster you're rolling, and/or you should get the charge bonuses/penalties if you hit something as part of a run action. It might be ok to give the Goron +2 natural armor for their tough skin (which would only make up for the Enlarge Person penalty to AC), but I'm not sure on that one.

Fierce Deity Mask: First, it's very hard to say how many rupees this would should cost since you don't have any mapping to D&D's WBL. If you use WBL as a metric, I would say that a 12th-13th level character should have to forgo serious other upgrades to buy all of the masks, and by about 14-15, it should be reasonable, only because the story weight this item has is a very high end thing.

You want to be very explicit when you're writing rules like this. Yes, a lot of people interested in a game with this class will have played a lot of Zelda, but I know personally I don't know much about Majora's Mask. Starting with the Sword, what is the handedness of the weapon? If I were to follow what your rules imply, then I'd say something like:

You get the Double Helix Sword (1d10 slashing damage[M], 19-20x2 crit, 1-handed, Disarm). For every 3 BAB you have, the sword gains +1 in magical properties. You may place any magical properties on this sword when you change into Fierce Deity Form, as long as you have at least +1 in enchantments. You may also place enchantments that affect throwing or ranged weapons, but these will only apply to the sword beams (see below).

Sword Beams: When you attack, you may have the Double Helix Sword launch a beam of pure light instead of making a melee attack. This is a ranged attack that does 1d8 + Dexterity piercing damage and has a range of 60 feet (thinking Bow of Light hero). This is also affected by your Double Helix Sword's enchantments, although it cannot benefit from any melee only enchantments. The base damage of this sword beam does not increase or decrease with your size modifier.

Also, in D&D, never use odd boosts to stats. 50% of the time, they mean nothing, and 50% of the time, they have more power than you expect. The stat boosts are harder to play with because we don't know what's coming into this. Depending on an expected level of this, I'd be inclined to say +2 to hit and damage, and an extra attack at highest BAB on a full attack (that doesn't stack with Haste effects).

I'd like to see all of the useless masks at least give +2 to a relevant skill check, so there's some minimal reason to use the mask, but I'll leave that to you.

ENDRNL
2016-01-19, 03:03 PM
I'm turning the Hero ship around, because I'm going to do something different.

I'm going to delete everything about the Transformation Masks. No, not entirely! I'm going to make Character Sheets for the species you transform into, as it is no alternate form of the Player, but a whole other person.

In the Majora's Mask game, you get the masks from haunting spirits, and the transformation masks are from a Deku Scrub, a Zora and a Goron. You get their abilities, and stuff. Also, every person who has ever seen the one you transform into, thinks you are that person! Sorry, got to put the examples into a spoiler -_- .

Deku Butler thinks you are his son, Beaver guy thinks you're Mikau, and EVERY GORON thinks you are Darmani. Short spoiler, eh?

So those are my ideas. Yes, also the Fierce Deity gets a Character Sheet (actually did this for him).

Special thanks to Kamai, for helping me out A LOT. Thank you, Kamai, please continue the good work on Giant In The Playground, and may the Force be With you, as Doctor Who might say, as winter's coming to the Shadows.