PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Audacious Contender Martial Archetype (PEACH)

Edge
2016-01-01, 04:03 PM
Martial Archetype: Audacious Contender
http://i.imgur.com/kUaPAfU.png
“Hey guys, watch this!”
- Safety, warforged fighter.

“And he's off. Again...”
- Arryn d'Vos, aasimar warlock.

An audacious contender is never content with mere victory. They have to achieve it in the flashiest way possible. Seemingly convinced of their own invincibility, they rush headlong into danger, whether that be the midst of a swirling melee, off a balcony into a suicidal freefall or challenging a god of strength to an arm wrestling contest. Not only do they usually survive, these reckless daredevils have the temerity to look good doing so. The bastards.
So, I got an idea for a warforged fighter named Safety. This subclass is all his fault. Hopefully it's not ludicrously overpowered - my thinking was that using a resource similar to the monk's ki but with a lower cap would keep things from spiralling out of control. However, if anything is going to be problematic, I suspect it'll be the Large and In Charge tree of Stunts. Any thoughts/hammering out the maths on those Stunts in particular would be welcome.
Level 3: Bravado
Starting at 3rd level when you select this archetype, you gain a pool of bravado points equal to (your proficiency modifier + your Charisma bonus) that you can use to fuel outrageous feats called Stunts that often put your life at risk – but that's okay, because you look damn cool when you pull them off. You regain all spent bravado points with a short or long rest.

Several Stunts require the targets of the Stunt to make a saving throw. You have two different saving throw DCs, your Audacious Saving Throw DC and your Dauntless Saving Throw DC, which are calculated as follows:

Audacious Save DC = 8 + your proficiency modifier + your Charisma modifier.

Dauntless Save DC = 8 + your proficiency modifier + your Strength or Dexterity modifier (your choice).

At 10th level, and again at 18th level, your bravado pool increases its capacity by 1.

At level 3, you know 3 Stunts you meet the prerequisites for, and learn an additional 2 at 7th, 10th and 15th levels, and one at 18th level.

Level 7: Doing It With Style
Starting at 7th level, you start making everything look easy. You can add half your proficiency bonus to any Strength, Dexterity or Constitution check you make that doesn't already use your proficiency bonus. In addition, when making a running long jump, you can spend 1 bravado to increase the distance you can cover by a number of feet equal to your Strength modifier. You can also spend 1 bravado to be considered to be making a running long jump, even if you do not have space to get a running start.

Level 10: Combat Momentum
Starting at 10th level, your reckless acrobatics serve to add additional momentum to your blows. On each of your turns in which you make a successful Acrobatics or Athletics check, or you win an opposed Acrobatics or Athletics check, you can spend 1 bravado to add 1d8 damage to an attack you hit with. You can only add this damage once per turn, and the additional damage is of the same type as the attack you enhance with it. When you reach 15th level, the additional damage increases to 2d8.

Level 15: Bring It On
Starting at 15th level, when you roll initiative and have no bravado remaining, you regain bravado equal to the number of hostile creatures you can see, up to a maximum of your Charisma bonus.

Level 18: Gravity Is A Guideline
At 18th level, your ego is such that even laws of reality buckle under its weight. When you spend bravado to enhance a running long jump, you no longer add your Strength modifier to the number of feet covered. Instead, you multiply the distance you cover by your Strength modifier or remaining bravado points (whichever is higher).

Additionally, you are never subject to falling damage unless you wish to be (such as to take advantage of certain Stunts).

Stunts

Falling With Style
When you take falling damage, you can spend 1 bravado to make an Acrobatics check to reduce or negate the damage. The DC of the check is 15, +1 per 10 feet you fell. Success reduces the damage dealt by each die of falling damage by an amount equal to your Charisma bonus or your proficiency modifier, whichever is higher.

Fine Physical Form
You gain proficiency in the Acrobatics or Athletics skill. If you choose a skill your were already proficient in, you instead add double your proficiency modifier to your relevant skill checks. Additionally, you can spend 1 bravado any time you need to make an Acrobatics or Athletics check in order to use your modifier with the other skill instead.

Large and In Charge
When you attempt to shove a creature, you can spend 1 bravado to gain one of the following benefits:
Count yourself as one size category larger for the attempt.
Add your Charisma bonus to your Athletics check result.
Increase the distance you push the target by 5ft.

You can only spend 1 bravado on each shove attempt.

Refuge in Audacity
Any time you are the target of an opportunity attack, you can spend 1 bravado as a reaction to gain temporary hit points equal to half your fighter level + (your Charisma bonus x the number of opportunity attacks that have targeted you this turn).

These Fists Were Made For Punching
Your unarmed strikes now deal a base of 1d4 damage, and gain the finesse property. If your unarmed strikes already dealt 1d4 base damage or greater through another source (such as a monk's Martial Arts feature, or the Tavern Brawler feat), you instead increase the base damage of your unarmed strikes by one die size.

And That's Just What They'll Do (Requires These Fists Were Made For Punching)
You increase the base damage of your unarmed strikes by one die size.

Collateral Damage (Requires Falling With Style or Large and In Charge)
When you successfully reduce the falling damage you take through Falling With Style, you may spend 1 bravado to transfer the damage you negated to the surface you land on. When you do so, the ground within a 5ft cube of your impact point becomes difficult terrain.

When you successfully push a creature into a solid object with a shove attempt, and they have yet to move the full distance you pushed them, they take bludgeoning damage equal to your Strength modifier + 1d6 per 5ft they have left to move. A successful Constitution saving throw against your Dauntless Save DC halves this damage.

Superior Physical Specimen (Requires Fine Physical Form)
You can spend 1 bravado to gain advantage on any Acrobatics or Athletics check. You can only spend 1 bravado per roll in this way.

Reckless Taunt
As a bonus action, you may spend 1 bravado to let out a string of epithets and insults that would make a soldier cry. All hostile creatures within 30ft of you must make a Wisdom saving throw against your Audacious Save DC or gain advantage on attack rolls against you and disadvantage on attack rolls against all other creatures until the start of your next turn.

Endless Stream of Expletives (Requires Reckless Taunt)
When you use your Reckless Taunt Stunt, you may spend 1 additional bravado to cause its effects to last for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma bonus instead of its usual duration.

Larger and In Chargerer (Requires Large and In Charge)
You can now spend up to 2 bravado per shove attempt when using your Large and In Charge Stunt, permitting you to gain multiple benefits per attempt, though you can only gain each benefit once per shove attempt.

Pugnacious Pugilist (Requires And That's Just What They'll Do)
You can spend 1 bravado to give your unarmed strikes one of the following benefits for 1 minute. You can spend up to 2 bravado per encounter on your unarmed strikes in this manner. Benefits marked with an asterisk are mutually exclusive.

Treat your unarmed strikes as two-handed weapons.*
Increase the base damage of your unarmed strikes by one die size.
Gain a second unarmed strike, and give your unarmed strikes light property.*

'Tis But A Scratch! (Requires Refuge in Audacity)
When you take damage, you can spend 2 bravado to gain resistance to that damage type until the start of your next turn. Additionally, when you are reduced to 0 hit points but not killed outright, you can spend 2 bravado to drop to 1 hit point instead.

Collateral Devastation (Requires Collateral Damage)
When you use your Collateral Damage Stunt in conjunction with your Falling With Style Stunt, you now create difficult terrain in a 10ft cube around your impact point, and all creatures within 10ft of you when you land must make a Dexterity saving throw against your Dauntless Save DC or be knocked prone.

Additionally, when you deal bludgeoning damage to creatures you push who do not move the full distance you push them, you deal d8s of damage rather than d6s.

Exceptional Physical Exemplar (Requires Superior Physical Specimen)
You can spend 1 bravado to gain advantage on any Acrobatics or Athletics check. You can spend up to 2 bravado per roll in this way, permitting you to gain advantage on an Acrobatics or Athletics check you would otherwise have disadvantage on.

Largest and In Chargerest (Requires Larger and In Chargerer)
You can now spend bravado equal to your proficiency modifier on shove attempts when using your Large and In Charge Stunt, and can select a given benefit multiple times to stack its effects if desired. Additionally, you add the following options to your list of Large and In Charge benefits:

Double the distance you push your target after all other modifiers.
Knock your target prone after successfully pushing them.
Stun your target for 1 round unless they make a Constitution saving throw against your Dauntless Save DC.

Biggest is Bossest (Requires Largest and In Chargerest)
By spending 2 bravado, you can double the effects of all other Large and In Charge benefits on a single shove attempt, after all other modifiers.

I'm Invincible! (Requires Endless Stream of Expletives and 'Tis But A Scratch!)
As a bonus action, you can spend 5 bravado to become Practically Invincible. Whilst Practically Invincible, you gain resistance to all damage other than psychic damage, as well as advantage on Strength, Dexterity and Constitution saving throws. Additionally when you take damage whilst Practically Invincible, you can use you reaction to force your attacker to make a Charisma saving throw against your Audacious Save DC. If they fail, they become frightened of you until the end of their next turn.

Once you become Practically Invincible, you remain so for 1 minute, or until you end it early with another bonus action. Once you are no longer Practically Invincible, you gain 1 level of exhaustion.

Meteoric Impact (Requires Falling With Style and Collateral Devastation)
When you use your Collateral Damage Stunt in conjunction with your Falling With Style Stunt, you can now spend 1 additional bravado to create a monumental impact. If you do so, you now create difficult terrain within a 20ft cube of your impact point, and deal damage to creatures within 20ft of your impact equal to the fall damage you negated with Falling With Style, and knock those creatures prone. A successful Dexterity saving throw against your Dauntless Save DC halves the damage taken and prevents that creature being knocked prone.

Edge
2016-01-03, 04:37 PM
And a bump to try and get some critique.

JBPuffin
2016-01-04, 02:08 AM
Who is this for? Like, I can see how you left it open for any class to take, but...it just replaces the normal archetype feature the character would get? This needs some clarification >.>

Other than that, it's rather MAD (Charisma, Con, Str, sometimes Dex but Str seems better). I'm seeing some interesting stunts, though, and some nifty ways to use this...I'll let someone who's better with exact balance deal with this, but I could see characters taking this.

Edge
2016-01-04, 04:08 AM
Who is this for? Like, I can see how you left it open for any class to take, but...it just replaces the normal archetype feature the character would get? This needs some clarification >.>
It's... a Martial Archetype. As in the 3rd level fighter class feature.

Other than that, it's rather MAD (Charisma, Con, Str, sometimes Dex but Str seems better). I'm seeing some interesting stunts, though, and some nifty ways to use this...I'll let someone who's better with exact balance deal with this, but I could see characters taking this.
If it's not an automatic choice, I'll take that as a good sign for balance.

JBPuffin
2016-01-04, 05:05 AM
It's... a Martial Archetype. As in the 3rd level fighter class feature.
Oh...I failed my Intelligence check on that one. >.> Nvm that then.

If it's not an automatic choice, I'll take that as a good sign for balance.
Went back in for a closer look, I see no reason for a person to choose Dex over Str. No feature calls out Dex as something a bonus, and all mentions of Acrobatics come with the option of Athletics anyway. So sadly, it is auto-Str.

This makes for an interesting fighter, albeit one likely to be a Cha-caster on top of it. It's got some control, some mobility, some resilience, and some brute force, all restricted to some degree by the stunt progression (not by much, but some). The closest I come to in describing this archetype through the other classes' is a bard/monk/barbarian crossbreed flavor-wise who is solely a fighter at heart. Like I said, I'm no balancer, but this archetype makes its own niche essentially.

Also, with the right fluff, this gets you a Teramach (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?286983-3-5-Base-Class-quot-I-want-to-live-inside-a-castle-built-of-your-agony!-quot) :P.