PDA

View Full Version : Comment on these House Rules: Multiclassing Proficiencies - You get 'em all!

Endarire
2016-01-04, 10:41 PM
Greetings, all!

Balance-wise, what do you think of these house rules to modify 5E's multiclassing system? (Just assume multiclassing and feats would be allowed, even without these rules.)

1: You gain all the proficiencies (weapons, armor, skills, tools, and saves) of each class you take the first level of. This means that a Wizard1/Fighter1 gains the same weapon, armor proficiencies, and save as a Fighter1/Wizard1. (I'm well aware that this means someone could become proficient with every skill, but a Half-Elf Lore Bard comes close to that already.)

2: No stat prereqs for multiclassing. Having a high INT before going Wizard is very handy, but not required.

The overall effect of these rules is meant to make multiclassing feel more like 3E. There is still opportunity cost in taking levels in other classes.

CaptAl
2016-01-05, 11:42 AM
Leads to extreme munchkinism. Fighter 1/Bard 1/Wizard 18 now has proficiency in all saves from level 3, 10/11/12 skills depending on race, and caster level 19. Ok for a single pc game but good luck challenging a group.

darkrose50
2016-01-05, 12:05 PM
I was thinking of a house rule that once you gain three (3) levels in a class, then you gain everything denied to you via multi-classing.

Zman
2016-01-05, 12:10 PM
I hope this doesn't apply to Save Proficiencies... Imagine if all a Wizard needed to do was take a Level of Fighter for Heavy Armor, Defense Fighting Style, and Proficiency in Con saves....

CantigThimble
2016-01-05, 12:13 PM
I hope this doesn't apply to Save Proficiencies... Imagine if all a Wizard needed to do was take a Level of Fighter for Heavy Armor, Defense Fighting Style, and Proficiency in Con saves....

Well, he can already do that. He just needs to take the fighter level first.

Zman
2016-01-05, 12:16 PM
Well, he can already do that. He just needs to take the fighter level first.

But this is now in addition to Proficiency in Wisdom Saves and two more Int based skills.

Falcon X
2016-01-05, 12:41 PM
I wouldn't allow it for save proficiencies. That would go against the core design of the system.

However, picking up the new weapons and skills wouldn't be too bad. I mean, you are giving up a level in something else to get them. I still wouldn't do it, but it would be a viable route.

If I wanted to add more skills, I think I would key it off of intelligence, giving more skills for higher intelligence.