PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Skyrim for 5e!

DracoKnight
2016-01-07, 09:49 PM
So, I'm working on developing a complete compendium of Skyrim weapons and races for 5e! At some point down the road, I will also have rules for Enchanting :smallbiggrin:

Skyrim Weapons Table (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1y4J8smG9GQYRPF6Rv6WFpkia1NgNvyWPWs_WKy8-JqA/edit?usp=sharing)

dokugin
2016-01-07, 10:50 PM
Neato!!!!!

KoyukiTei13
2016-06-27, 03:25 AM
Are you going to be converting anything else from Skyrim to d&d 5e? I found a list of the daedric artifacts translated into d&d artifacts (https://imgur.com/a/z5a89#9RLyN4u) earlier. :)

DracoKnight
2016-06-27, 03:36 AM
Are you going to be converting anything else from Skyrim to d&d 5e? I found a list of the daedric artifacts translated into d&d artifacts (https://imgur.com/a/z5a89#9RLyN4u) earlier. :)

HAHA! You just ended my 6 month quest to figure out how to stat these buggers - thanks! :smallbiggrin:

Final Hyena
2016-06-27, 07:20 AM
Why does Dwarven and Elvish cost more than Orcish?

wumpus
2016-06-27, 10:21 AM
With that much overlap in damage you only leave weight for reasons of using a more expensive weapon. While Skyrim may be an encumbrance optimization game, I doubt that's really what you want to port to pen&paper.

Are you going to allow +1 (and more) enchanting of weapons? If not, you might be ok with expanding the damage of the various types of weapons.

Are you going to include smithing, and will players be able to to do it? I wouldn't recommend it, as only Eorlund Gray-Mane seems able to have any observable smithing ability at all (and possibly only due to the skyforge), all others appear unable to to put an edge on their weapons (I think you can improve "a greatsword for a great man" at smithing level 15). End-game smithing capabilities are scary.

I'm not familiar enough with 5e to suggest how runaway powers would effect such things, but I'd have to believe that dragon bone does more than +3 damage. Perhaps only dragonbone/dragonscale can be forged to "legendary" status and that other grades top out at other levels (although I doubt that 5e really has the fine grain approach for such things. You can't really give a +1 going from fine to superior. Maybe if you add a bonus to an initiative check it would be less than game breaking but still encourage a player to take it.

FMLest1998
2016-06-27, 05:45 PM
Why does Dwarven and Elvish cost more than Orcish?

I'm pretty sure that those are the prices in the game itself :P

Final Hyena
2016-06-28, 01:55 AM
I'm pretty sure that those are the prices in the game itself :P
But there is no incentive to buy the more expensive gear. In Skyrim wasn't the higher tier gear better in some way?

Theoboldi
2016-06-28, 02:44 AM
But there is no incentive to buy the more expensive gear. In Skyrim wasn't the higher tier gear better in some way?

Yes, absolutely. The higher tier the material was, the more damage the weapons did and the more armor the....well, armors provided. It was a pretty standard upgrade system, which I'm not sure translates into 5e all that well. Unless you wanna use really high bonuses, that is, since there was a lot of tiers.

wumpus
2016-06-28, 10:56 AM
Yes, absolutely. The higher tier the material was, the more damage the weapons did and the more armor the....well, armors provided. It was a pretty standard upgrade system, which I'm not sure translates into 5e all that well. Unless you wanna use really high bonuses, that is, since there was a lot of tiers.

Notes on skyrim: I'm not that sure about daedric/dragonbone. Daedric may have been more damaging/more protective and heavier, but also requires much more rare materials (daedra hearts).
There is also the issue that by the time dragonbone parts are available, you can typically craft armor that hits the armor cap several tiers down.

You could look for some minor places to put bonuses. I don't recall criticals being part of 5e (they are in Skyrim), but they are a means to add minor bonuses (throw an extra +1 or so only on the criticals). Initiative rolls are another place to stuff them (although I wouldn't recommend changing to to "roll every turn" unless you really wanted to emphasize the light armor).

Theoboldi
2016-06-28, 12:44 PM
Notes on skyrim: I'm not that sure about daedric/dragonbone. Daedric may have been more damaging/more protective and heavier, but also requires much more rare materials (daedra hearts).
There is also the issue that by the time dragonbone parts are available, you can typically craft armor that hits the armor cap several tiers down.

Well, conceptually they were better at least. Not that it worked out in actual gameplay, as you said. :smallwink:

That said, criticals are definitively a thing in 5e, and it's an interesting idea to add bonuses there, though +1 only on criticals may be a tad too weak of a bonus to be really felt. Maybe a mixture of damage bonuses would work? Or you could also just let them count as magical or adamantine for overcoming resistance. Dunno, really. I'm just spitballing at this point.

That said, given the 'rare' materials both Daedric and Dragonbone gear require, maybe those should just be statted up as magical items? Give them stuff like extra damage die, crit immunity, all that cool stuff.