PDA

View Full Version : Goblins

Wukei
2006-05-27, 05:24 PM
For those that read Goblins (http://thunt.comicgen.com) I'd like to say one thing:

The Book 1 being sold right now? Totally worth it. Thunt has added so many things in there, and it's practically less than 1 fast food meal. Spend a little money on the thunt!

starwoof
2006-05-27, 05:28 PM
Goblins is t3h aw3some.

Hey, I have money! Time to buy this, I think.

Argh! Do I want the new desktop, or do i want to keep my YuYu desktop? Decisions, decisions...

Sneak
2006-05-27, 05:42 PM
Well, I'm currently downloading the book...although it seems to be gaining minutes, not losing them, as time goes on...seems to be going really slowly. But then again, I'm downloading Firefly onto iTunes, and that's taking FOREVER. It's taken a few hours and it's still only 3/4 done with the first episode...>_<

Wukei
2006-05-27, 05:43 PM
Jeez, Sneak...what are you on dial-up?

Nerd-o-rama
2006-05-27, 06:00 PM
I was just about to make this thread...I'm downloading the Book One package right now, and will weigh in on it later.

And on an aside, it took me the better part of two days to torrent the complete Firefly series. Of course, a direct download is faster, but...

(by the way, I now own the DVDs, so I can say this without getting arrested.)

Wukei
2006-05-27, 06:04 PM
Well, his book got frozen mid-download we figured out...so it's not the fact that he has dial-up

Nerd-o-rama
2006-05-27, 06:21 PM
Ack! Help! The PDF is busted and I don't get any images, which are kinda important in a comic!

It says "There was a problem reading this document (9)" and I only see the very minimal amount of text included in the work. How do I fix it/to whom do I complain?

Wukei
2006-05-27, 06:25 PM
complain to the download site, not thunt.

Nerd-o-rama
2006-05-27, 06:31 PM
In my investigations, I leaned that I am apparently two full versions behind the latest Acrobat Reader release. Paint me lazy. Anyway, that's probably the problem.

Fixed it.

Thray
2006-05-27, 06:34 PM
Heh. Don't fumble the next download check =P.

WCH
2006-05-27, 08:26 PM
Acrobat is the worst software in the history of man. That may be your problem by itself.

Get Foxit Reader, it's far superior.

Behold_the_Void
2006-05-27, 10:21 PM
Heh. Don't fumble the next download check =P.

It's Computer Use. You people need to play more D20 Modern!

Anyway, while I do enjoy the Goblins comic, I've not seen any real reason to get the book. He does interesting work, but it's nowhere near my favorite.

Sophistemon
2006-05-27, 10:30 PM
So than what is your favorite?

Sneak
2006-05-27, 11:24 PM
Grrr...I think I have the same problem as Nerd-o-Rama. About 174 blank pages, and the last one has some gibberish. Neato. I'll upgrade my software in the morning.

Kish
2006-05-28, 12:36 AM
The Kore alignment debates on the Goblins webcomic are really a lot like the Belkar alignment debates on OotS. (And, unfortunately, I can't resist getting entangled in both.) I often find myself thinking I should quit reading Goblins, because I'll be kind of surprised if it has a happy ending.

Wukei
2006-05-28, 12:46 AM
I really doubt it'll have a happy ending, too.

Predictions:

--Dies was supposed to have been the real Chief
--Either Ears or Senor Vorpal Kickass'o are next to die.
--Of course Kore will kill the other dwarf (says so in the profecy).
--Minmax will kill Thac0, giving Complains another reason to hate him.

But those are just my bets.

Nerd-o-rama
2006-05-28, 12:50 AM
It's Computer Use. You people need to play more D20 Modern!

Anyway, while I do enjoy the Goblins comic, I've not seen any real reason to get the book. He does interesting work, but it's nowhere near my favorite.
I shelled out for it for three reasons:

1. "Not-Walter Screams Like a Little Girl", which was highly amusing.
2. The Behind-The-Scenes stuff, including a couple of earlier, amusingly crappy comics by thunt and development of the characters.
3. It was like, five bucks.

The colored comics were nice, too, as was Fumbles' fumble chart. Which I'm totally going to use.

And Captain, responses to your predictions:

1. Personally, I had my money on Complains. Dies would make sense from a "The Fortune-Teller was a bitch" sense. But Complains acts like he oughta be chief, and probably would have torn up the tribe despite that.
2. I dont think any of the GAP will die soon, but the next one will probably be Thaco, possibly in the process of avenging his previous abuse in Brassmoon.
3. Seems too obvious. But then, we're not talking about Rich hear.
4. Does he really need another reason?

Wukei
2006-05-28, 08:35 AM
1. Personally, I had my money on Complains. Dies would make sense from a "The Fortune-Teller was a bitch" sense. But Complains acts like he oughta be chief, and probably would have torn up the tribe despite that.

It was a toss-up between Complains and Dies. And I've got good reasons for both. Your reasons for Complains, but the fact that she named Dies what she named him and the fact that he did NOT travel with the group might suggest he'll go back to his village to be their leader. Maybe at least just for a while. Others will assume that Chief died in the battle, and for Dies to be the only survivor...well, he must have been a damned good fighter, right?

4. Does he really need another reason?
No, but the killing of one's father is sorta a necessary evil when it comes to a nemesis.

edit: and yes...I plan to use the Fumbles chart, too...

Midnight Son
2006-05-28, 04:33 PM
Hmmm. 135KB/Sec. They have a slow internet connection, not me. ;D

Thanks for the reminder Wukei. I've been meaning to get this for a while.

Adeptus
2006-05-28, 05:53 PM
I have very mixed feelings about Goblins. I like some of the themes, characters and humor, but (and this is a big but) the graphic ultra violence is really offputting.

The comic seems very nihilistic and sadistical, and it often leaves me, as the reader, feeling nauseous and somehow feeling betrayed.

I wonder if I'm the only person here that finds that comic too gore driven?

Wukei
2006-05-28, 05:58 PM
Actually he's stated that he believes that graphic novel violence is just fictional, and thus he doesn't have a problem drawing it.

Personally, I think if you can watch a movie with blood in it, why can't you read a graphic novel with the same.

So I have no problem with gore in his comic. After all, my OGN was all about death...

Kish
2006-05-28, 07:25 PM
I have very mixed feelings about Goblins. I like some of the themes, characters and humor, but (and this is a big but) the graphic ultra violence is really offputting.

The comic seems very nihilistic and sadistical, and it often leaves me, as the reader, feeling nauseous and somehow feeling betrayed.

Erm...well, yes and no.

The gore doesn't bother me per se, but I tried (not very successfully) to stop reading after Kore appeared, because of the sudden realization that the good characters in the strip had at least even odds of dying brutally and pointlessly.

Skyserpent
2006-05-28, 07:43 PM
Minmax had better die. seriously, and I notice Minnies gear doesnt seem level 2 quality...

Fishies
2006-05-28, 09:43 PM
Yeah, but everybody who dies has a backup character...

Nerd-o-rama
2006-05-28, 09:51 PM
Only the adventurers, though. And I doubt Minmax and Forgath will kick any time soon.

This raises the unanswered-by-thunt question of whether the adventuring goblins have players, and therefore new characters, or not? Personally, I think no. In the Goblins Universe, it seems most things exist independently of the PCs and the DM, despite the acknowledged presence of the DM. In other words, it's a real world, and He Who Hides Behind a Screen of Paper only influences the PCs' immediate environment. And of course, only the PCs have their general personalities and demeanor transplanted into new characters when they die.

EDIT: Wukei, you cheater.

Thray
2006-05-29, 12:22 AM

Not really. I thought the point of the warcamp battle was that perfectly good people suffer through misunderstandings, relating to the central racism theme. Good people do often die through pointless misunderstandings, which is the only main "serious" theme in the comic.

Also, note that it was stated that Forgrath would die in the battle against Kore-not that he would necessarily be killed by Kore. Also betrayal was mentioned in that battle-I'd find it interesting if Minmax killed Forgrath.

Midnight Son
2006-05-29, 01:15 AM
Okay; Reading the fumbles chart and having wierd visions of a 1st level wizard hitting a wall with his fist and knocking himself out. or do wizards still only get 1D4 HP at first level. It's been so long since I played, I don't know.

Kish
2006-05-29, 03:51 AM
Yeah, but everybody who dies has a backup character...
You appear to have entirely the wrong idea about which characters I'm concerned about dying. :P Hawl's backup character has yet to appear, and I don't expect one to.

Wizards and sorcerers still use d4 hit dice, but every first level character starts with maximum hit points--so every first level wizard or sorcerer has 4 hit points plus constitution modifier.

Midnight Son
2006-05-29, 12:35 PM
I thought so. So a wizard, in an extreme act of folly, tries to hit the bad guy with his fist, fumbles and hits the wall, rolls really bad and ends up taking(1D4+1) 5HP worth of damage, and knocking himself out. What? does his fist rebound and hit him in the temple? Is his brain in his fist? I don't see it.

Genome
2006-05-29, 12:51 PM
Fainted from the excruciating pain of breaking his knuckles?

Nerd-o-rama
2006-05-29, 03:00 PM
You're assuming the wizard has 10 CON (unlikely), and even then he'd be at 0 HP, which is disabled, not quite unconscious or bleeding to death.

Besides, if that's your biggest "realism" issue with Fumbles' fumble chart, you have a strage sense of normality.

Fishies
2006-05-29, 03:04 PM
My sorcerer has 16 CON.

High-Chancellor
2006-05-29, 04:41 PM
Fainted from the excruciating pain of breaking his knuckles?

I would think that maybe he fumbled so bad that not only did his fist hit the wall, but his head too.

Valda, Adlav and Samiam: the Jacked-Up Trinity
2006-06-08, 05:52 PM
My favorite line ever?

Forgath: Man! That's like some new kind of ugly!

and

Forgath: The drow are probably fighting like warrior poets right about now!

Gold.

As for predcitions...

1) Complains is the real chief, and Chief knows it.

2) Kore is a fallen paladin and will eventually be deceived by an evil outsider into becoming a Blackguard.

3) Minmax kills Thaco.

4) Another dwarf besides Kore kills Forgath. (thinking outside the box here people).

5) Forgath sets the creatures free in Brassmoon as an act of kindness toward the Goblin party.

6) The reincarnated drow die again in some horrific fashion.

7) Minmax kills Complains and Big-Ears kills Minmax.

8 ) Dies runs into Kore at some point and chaos ensues.

TinSoldier
2006-06-08, 06:01 PM
Thanks for bumping this thread, Valda. I didn't even know it existed since I was out of town when it was created.

Goblins is my favorite comic, with OotS and DnDorks tied for second.

Book 1 is great if you've got the 5 bucks for it. And a current Adobe Reader. And a fast connection.

2006-06-08, 10:09 PM
Thanks for bumping this thread, Valda. I didn't even know it existed since I was out of town when it was created.

Goblins is my favorite comic, with OotS and DnDorks tied for second.

No probs. What's DnDorks? Mr. Linky please!

TinSoldier
2006-06-08, 10:25 PM
No probs. What's DnDorks? Mr. Linky please!http://dndorks.com/default.aspx

Check out the archives. It goes back to 2001, you can see the improvement in the art and story lines. They've gone through several different artists/writers/colorists, but they have mostly kept their quality up.

Oh, if you visit Goblins or DnDorks be sure to vote!

Ing
2006-06-09, 12:03 AM
prediction

(remember Fortune teller has already been proven falible so destiny is not set in stone)

Kore faces Dies horribly....dies is apparently killed....horribly, infront of the other goblins. when his attention is turned towards them the Clank metal eater, pawns him destroying his armor and weapons. he is revealed to be a migit (sp) gnome on a set of hydrolic stilts. the others find a farm and feed him to a pig.

TinSoldier
2006-06-09, 12:17 AM
Yeah, it would be cool if Kore ended up being a gnome! (http://www.dungeoncrawlinc.com/askarudin4.html)

Winged One
2006-06-09, 12:28 AM
2) Kore is a fallen paladin and will eventually be deceived by an evil outsider into becoming a Blackguard.
I think that this has already happened.

TheWanderingLlama
2006-06-09, 12:32 AM
I really didn't think the book was worth it. I was just like, "Meh." There wasn't enough new material. I guess I'm not enough of a fan.

2006-06-09, 01:03 AM
I think that this has already happened.

Interesting thought. I'm not real familiar with Paladin stats, but last I checked, Talk with Dead (http://thunt.comicgen.com/d/20060325.html)was an Cleric feat, and you need levels in cleric to become a Blackguard if memory serves.

rwald
2006-06-09, 11:15 AM
Erm...well, yes and no.

The gore doesn't bother me per se, but I tried (not very successfully) to stop reading after Kore appeared, because of the sudden realization that the good characters in the strip had at least even odds of dying brutally and pointlessly.
I also have a slight problem with the gore in the comic. I've got no moral compunction or visceral negative reaction against reading it, it's just that it doesn't interest me. It's a large portion of the comic I don't find worth reading. I read web comics for plot, character development, and humor, and yes, Goblins has that, but it also spends large stretches doing "nothing" from my perspective. Oh well, overall it's worth the time I spend reading it.

Thray
2006-06-09, 02:02 PM
Interesting thought. I'm not real familiar with Paladin stats, but last I checked, Talk with Dead (http://thunt.comicgen.com/d/20060325.html)was an Cleric feat, and you need levels in cleric to become a Blackguard if memory serves.

Yes, speak with dead is a cleric spell, but you do not need levels in cleric to become a blackguard. You can become a blackguard based off of Paladin levels alone.

Thanks for the mention of DnDorks, Tin Soldier. I read it last night and found it pretty amusing. "Seppuku Joe!"

As for the general Kore being a Paladin thing, I think he's more likely a fighter class-wise, with Paladin being a title. He's yet to use a Paladin ability, and he has used several things that fighters use (particularly a tower shield and dual-wielding). Plus the sheer amount of damage he seems capable of dealing with a crossbow bolt makes me think he has weapon specialization.

Edit-well, it looks like Ears is pretty likely the next to die.

Abd al-Azrad
2006-07-31, 11:26 PM
No! Not Ears!

Man, this is a weird comic, Goblins is. I keep forgetting I like it, and then going for weeks without reading it. Then they update, so I grab a new fix and read the archive again.

EDIT: You can become a Blackguard off Commoner levels alone. BA +5, a few feats, and some skills. Nothing restrictive.

TinSoldier
2006-08-01, 12:57 AM
If you are a Goblins fan, you need to read the current update! (http://thunt.comicgen.com/d/20060728.html)

There is so much goodness going on here that it is very difficult to describe.

Kish
2006-08-01, 05:22 AM
6) The reincarnated drow die again in some horrific fashion.
This is looking pretty likely at this point. If they follow Dies back to the Viper Clan's warcamp, we're likely to find out whether the Viper Clan cooks and eats adventurers or merely tortures them to death.

Skyserpent
2006-08-14, 04:06 AM
Thaco's new outfit is bad*sstastic.

Zaggab
2006-08-14, 07:01 AM
Meh, I liked it better before the savage touch of a goblin.

Just kidding.

Though it seems that the goblins are playing in a monty haul game. They are lvl 2, and have one normal magic item (+1 shortsword), and 2 very powerful magic items (the shield and the spear).

TinSoldier
2006-08-14, 10:09 AM
Remember that while that shield is powerful, it is also unpredictable. One might even say cursed...

Skyserpent
2006-08-15, 09:31 PM
That spear is something isn't it?

Hell, it could probably kill Minmax in one hit...

TinSoldier
2006-08-16, 11:21 PM
Update your bookmarks... Goblins has moved to Keenspot!

New URL:http://goblinscomic.com/

Now to update my sig.

Gralamin
2006-08-17, 02:04 AM
done, thanks Tin Solider.

Mr._Blinky
2006-08-19, 08:09 PM
Goblins is currently tied with OotS for my favorite comic. There is a lot of gore, but then again, the comic is about people hitting each other with swords.

Nerd-o-rama
2006-08-29, 02:11 AM
Yay for late updates with plot. I just have one comment though:

Why do end bosses always have one wing?

I wonder if thunt even thought of that connection...and that joke assumes, of course, that she's the BBEG for Minmax, Forgath et al's campaign, which seems likely, disregarding the necessary plot twists between now and then.

Tom_Violence
2006-09-01, 10:26 AM
I really doubt it'll have a happy ending, too.

Predictions:

--Dies was supposed to have been the real Chief
--Either Ears or Senor Vorpal Kickass'o are next to die.
--Of course Kore will kill the other dwarf (says so in the profecy).
--Minmax will kill Thac0, giving Complains another reason to hate him.

But those are just my bets.

Psst! Where was the 'Possible Spoiler' warning?! :P

McDeath
2006-09-15, 08:56 AM
Yeah, Goblins isn't going to have a happy ending where all the characters go to heaven or something. There will be gore, there will be death, several innocents will die, and at least one of the survivors will be crippled.

Sounds like my kind of party.

Waf
2006-09-16, 12:08 PM
I finally got around to reading Goblins and I'm glad I did. It's funny though, the comic constantly shifts from being light hearted an parody like to gory and sadistic at a moments notice. Do you catch a lot of complaints from that Tin Soldier? Cause on my comic I have very little gore, but in chapter 3 I had one character lose a finger in a fight and I recieved a ton of e-mails about how I couldn't show violence like on that my site because it wasn't fitting for a humor comic and all that Jazz.

TinSoldier
2006-09-16, 04:52 PM
I finally got around to reading Goblins and I'm glad I did. It's funny though, the comic constantly shifts from being light hearted an parody like to gory and sadistic at a moments notice. Do you catch a lot of complaints from that Tin Soldier? Cause on my comic I have very little gore, but in chapter 3 I had one character lose a finger in a fight and I recieved a ton of e-mails about how I couldn't show violence like on that my site because it wasn't fitting for a humor comic and all that Jazz.It's not my comic, I'm just Thunt's number one fan ;D !

I've seen some comments about the occasional grimness of it. I think the death of Thargoth, the dwarf-boy, probably was shocking to a lot of readers. Some people who I have pointed to the comic don't like it for that reason.

It's still my favorite webcomic, though.

Waf
2006-09-16, 05:00 PM
Ah silly me, I thought it was yours. ::)

BelkarsDagger
2006-09-16, 08:11 PM
I've seen some comments about the occasional grimness of it. I think the death of Thargoth, the dwarf-boy, probably was shocking to a lot of readers. Some people who I have pointed to the comic don't like it for that reason.

Yeah... I stopped reading it for about a month and a half after reading Kore's Departure.

Waf
2006-09-17, 12:48 AM
In all fairness iirc they didn't show the kid dying and usually in storytelling that means he actually didn't but we shall see. I kind of have a feeling that he might be the one who brings down Kore cause that's pretty much unbeatable irony.

TinSoldier
2006-09-17, 12:56 AM
In all fairness iirc they didn't show the kid dying and usually in storytelling that means he actually didn't but we shall see. I kind of have a feeling that he might be the one who brings down Kore cause that's pretty much unbeatable irony.Interesting, but I don't think it works that way. I think that Targoth is really and truly dead.

I don't think that Thunt does stories where characters unexpectedly come back to life like that. It is just too cliché.

If you would like to talk with other Goblins fans, join the forums at snotling.org (http://snotling.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=index). All kinds of speculation are welcome!

Waf
2006-09-17, 01:10 AM
The big thing is implied death is rarely actual death in stories. I mean the way Kore was talking to it kid it really sounds like he is going to kill him, but he never even says that he is going to kill him. I'd say the jury is out till a 3rd party character verifies that the kid is dead or till he shows up again.

It is very probably though that Thunt killed the kid and simply thought that his death was so overly tragic he didn't want to draw it happening.

But, the big reasons I think the kid is still alive is Kore never says he is going to kill him and the comic doesn't show any evidence of him doing the deed. Plus killing the kid doesn't motivate any other character against Kore because kid's dad is already dead and it is fairly safe to assume Kore killed Hawl so everyone who cares about him is already dead. So it makes sense for the kid to live on with everyone he cared about dead. The only real reason I can see from a writing perspective on why Kore should of killed the kid is it makes Kore look terrible, but faking him killing the kid (as I suggest) makes him look equally bad.

Mr._Blinky
2006-09-24, 10:47 PM
The big thing is implied death is rarely actual death in stories. I mean the way Kore was talking to it kid it really sounds like he is going to kill him, but he never even says that he is going to kill him. I'd say the jury is out till a 3rd party character verifies that the kid is dead or till he shows up again.

It is very probably though that Thunt killed the kid and simply thought that his death was so overly tragic he didn't want to draw it happening.

But, the big reasons I think the kid is still alive is Kore never says he is going to kill him and the comic doesn't show any evidence of him doing the deed. Plus killing the kid doesn't motivate any other character against Kore because kid's dad is already dead and it is fairly safe to assume Kore killed Hawl so everyone who cares about him is already dead. So it makes sense for the kid to live on with everyone he cared about dead. The only real reason I can see from a writing perspective on why Kore should of killed the kid is it makes Kore look terrible, but faking him killing the kid (as I suggest) makes him look equally bad.

I'm pretty sure the kid's dead. Also, not actually seeing the death is very well done from a drama stand-point. Kore's about to kill a little kid, and you know it, and seeing him chop the kid would have just been to over the top. But to just "hear" the sound of the murder, and just to just be horrified as Kore just walks away from the atrocity he's commited, that drives home how well and truly this guy is a monster.

McDeath
2006-10-16, 07:16 AM
I think Kore definitely killed the kid, but it was shown "off-camera" to make it more poignant.

Om
2006-10-17, 10:07 AM
Well I just read through this comic today (no work for me!) and was pretty impressed. Impressed enough for it to make my bookmark folder :)

Captain van der Decken
2006-10-18, 02:15 PM
Its a good comic, nice art. I like Dies Horribly best. Tempts fate is great too though.

Skyserpent
2006-10-19, 02:50 AM
I think Saves a Fox is pretty cool. But Thaco is by far the most badasstastic character in the comic.

Nightmarenny
2006-10-20, 02:43 AM
I like Goblins. I like the deaths. It adds a serious-ness that most comics lack. Anyone could die. No one is the main character. Ev eryone is at risk and there is never that fealing that it someone survived when they shouldn't. Goblins is dramatic. It is a very heavy thing that some would probably not like because they read more escape and don' like seeing so much reality in fantasy. They don't like the truth that Kore can take so many lives, or that a nice blind man or a child can be killed and in war someone can die meningless death in war. We are so used to everyone getting out alright and when they don't its a brave a valient death.

Captain van der Decken
2006-10-28, 04:40 PM
Three guesses to what the Goblinslayer's gonna do to fumbles :rolleyes:
Poor guy.

mport2004
2006-10-28, 05:48 PM
He could set him free when he finds out that hes talling the truth. :)

Chief is my favorite.

Captain van der Decken
2006-10-28, 05:57 PM
Somehow I don't see that happening :(

mport2004
2006-10-28, 06:34 PM
It could :D

Btw are we ever gona have avatars again?

Captain van der Decken
2006-10-29, 04:09 AM
I think we are, see the board issues threads.

mport2004
2006-10-29, 11:15 AM
I see now thx

theKOT
2006-10-30, 11:07 PM
Gotta say, I love the art and the storyline is sound. The gore occasionally gets to me, but it doesn't affect my enjoyment too much.

TinSoldier
2006-10-30, 11:12 PM
Yeah, the latest one was just hard to read. I loved it, but man!

That, my friends, is a villain.

Captain van der Decken
2006-10-31, 02:52 AM
Gawd!
Didn't know there was a new comic up.The Goblinslayer is almost as bad as Kore, if not worse. He looks pretty insane in that comic, from about panel 7 and up.

Edit: That's the only time the violence ever really bothered me.

Piedmon_Sama
2006-10-31, 09:56 PM
Poor Fumbles. As they say, "he ain't pretty no more!"

Madmal
2006-10-31, 10:10 PM
I...hate...that Goblin..Slayer....

Captain van der Decken
2006-11-01, 04:52 PM
The comic definately makes you see goblins in another light..

mport2004
2006-11-01, 05:37 PM
GS is worse than Kore.

I wonder if now he will let Fumbles go?

TinSoldier
2006-11-01, 05:40 PM
Heh. In two PBP games I'm playing on snotling.org (which hosts the Goblins forum), I've had to make sure the goblins we are attacking are actually bad guys. So far they have been, but I'll keep checking...

theKOT
2006-11-03, 01:45 PM
You know, Fumbles is being pretty dumb. If he wanted to get out of this he should have told the GS exactly what he was doing in the city. Does he really think the people who imprisoned him and are threatening torture are gonna let him off cause he "just wants to go home"? The level of incompetence is frustrating.

Piedmon_Sama
2006-11-03, 05:20 PM
Uh, what? Do you really think if he said "I'm returning this doll to a little elf girl I accidentally injured because I was playing adventurer," the torture would stop? What do you think would happen if he tried to bluff and said "yeah, I'm an advanced scout for a huge goblin army, let me go and I'll tell you where to find their camp!" There was nothing Fumbles could say or do in that situation that would not end in his mutilation, unfortunately.

Annalia
2006-11-03, 05:48 PM
Hey, got around to reading the comic about a week ago. I must say, it is awesome. The gore and blood don't bugger me that much. Unless it is on Fumbles who's my favourite character so far.

theKOT
2006-11-03, 07:31 PM
Uh, what? Do you really think if he said "I'm returning this doll to a little elf girl I accidentally injured because I was playing adventurer," the torture would stop? What do you think would happen if he tried to bluff and said "yeah, I'm an advanced scout for a huge goblin army, let me go and I'll tell you where to find their camp!" There was nothing Fumbles could say or do in that situation that would not end in his mutilation, unfortunately.

No, but I do think that if he was dealing with slightly less evil people he might be able to secure his freedom with the real story. Nobody who captures you will ever let you go just because you say you want to go home. It was probably the dumbest thing he could have said.

Annalia
2006-11-03, 07:34 PM
It's Fumble. Must have rolled 1 on his Diplomacy check!

theKOT
2006-11-03, 10:23 PM
We should be taking bets on how many times Tarol Hunt delays his double updates due to various reasons before he just realizes he can't do it. I say two more.

Piedmon_Sama
2006-11-03, 10:51 PM
No, but I do think that if he was dealing with slightly less evil people he might be able to secure his freedom with the real story. Nobody who captures you will ever let you go just because you say you want to go home. It was probably the dumbest thing he could have said.

I suppose he should have stuck out his chin and baldly declared "fiend! I'll never tell you a thing!" in his best Clark Gable impersonation? There was pretty much nothing Fumbles could have said that wouldn't have resulted in him getting cut up like a fat guy in a flax machine, he might as well protest or pray however he likes.

Also, I predict Thunt gets a double update in two weeks from now. The second one materializes maybe... a month later. So I'm optimistic, sue me. >_>

Annalia
2006-11-03, 10:55 PM
I think we'll be able to call the two-three weeks during he gives update 'random goblin-updates'. I doubt any of them will be on either Saturday or Wednesday.

theKOT
2006-11-04, 12:00 AM
I suppose he should have stuck out his chin and baldly declared "fiend! I'll never tell you a thing!" in his best Clark Gable impersonation? There was pretty much nothing Fumbles could have said that wouldn't have resulted in him getting cut up like a fat guy in a flax machine, he might as well protest or pray however he likes.

Read again. I said that he didn't know it was hopeless, and in that situation would probably have been best off telling the truth. Eh, its pointless to argue about anyway. It isn't like this is a Miko debate or anything.

I think we'll be able to call the two-three weeks during he gives update 'random goblin-updates'. I doubt any of them will be on either Saturday or Wednesday.
I doubt he'll ever get around to making more than one update in a week.

Annalia
2006-11-04, 12:11 AM
I doubt he'll ever get around to making more than one update in a week.

Hey, I'm a new reader. Let me hope! :smalltongue: Here I was, all happy that I began reading the comic simultaneously with additionnal updates!

Piedmon_Sama
2006-11-04, 02:16 AM
Read again. I said that he didn't know it was hopeless, and in that situation would probably have been best off telling the truth. Eh, its pointless to argue about anyway. It isn't like this is a Miko debate or anything.

Ah, I didn't get that sorry. Though now that you put it that way I think you give Fumbles too little credit.... he may be ditzy, but he's not at Elan-levels of naivity. You're right that it's not worth talking about though.

Heh, comparing Elan to Fumbles gives me a funny thought.... somehow I don't see a guy like Elan lasting long in the Thuntverse. It seems like a more brutal place to live in than Giantworld.

theKOT
2006-11-04, 05:32 PM
It's saturday again, that means the double-update will be at least one week late. I'm betting two more and then he abandons it. Anyone care to wager? ;)

Piedmon_Sama
2006-11-04, 05:37 PM
Don't forget "Saturday" for Thunt is a bit more belated than it is for us in the USA. He might get it up shortly. >_>

EDIT: Also want to say I totally sympathize with T. Hunt on the matter. I'm something of an amateur artist myself (sketching warrior d00dz and sorcerer ch1x is a hobby of mine) and I know full well that any fool can knock off a sketch in a few hours, but to make something you'd be proud to show to other people (especially on the internet) a drawing can take DAYS. And that's just making a simple drawing, I can't even imagine trying to figure out panel composition and the other intricacies of comicking.

theKOT
2006-11-04, 06:20 PM
Oh I know, but he should be honest about it. I think he would have realized by now that he really can't handle more than once a week, even temporarily.

Flabbicus
2006-11-05, 10:53 AM
It updated! Damn those hobgoblins are big.

Piedmon_Sama
2006-11-09, 08:28 PM
I'm surprised that everyone on the Goblins forum seems to take Riss's prophecy at face value. I thought it was very heavily implied when I read that he's faking a vision for his own purposes. Most likely he wants to get Grem killed and figures throwing Saves A Fox into peril will be the most subtle and sure way (Grem is headstrong, he'd probably go after her on his own.)

TinSoldier
2006-11-09, 10:32 PM
I'm surprised that everyone on the Goblins forum seems to take Riss's prophecy at face value. I thought it was very heavily implied when I read that he's faking a vision for his own purposes. Most likely he wants to get Grem killed and figures throwing Saves A Fox into peril will be the most subtle and sure way (Grem is headstrong, he'd probably go after her on his own.)Thinks-too-much (http://www.snotling.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1865&forum=22&post_id=45715#forumpost45715) on the forum agrees with you.

I admit that I hadn't thought of it myself, but it makes sense.

theKOT
2006-11-10, 02:28 PM
Hmmm, that's a good idea. I don't know if it will happen, but it sounds good.

As to the news:
I understand that he feels obligated to fufill these updates, but I don't see how he is going to be able to. I believe him when he says he has been pushing his hardest, but it is obvious that his hardest makes for no more than one update a week. He should just give up. It's realistically his only option.(Hopefully I'm wrong!)

Nerd-o-rama
2006-11-14, 03:43 AM
As to the latest update, I think Thunt's being a little unfair to hobgoblins; in D&D, they're just as smart as goblins; just bigger, stronger, tougher, and more charismatic (all relative terms). I'm not sure I like his decision to present them as "big dumbs," like you would expect from orcs or bugbears - we have examples of at least an Orc who is intelligent enough to be a businessman, if not exactly clever (Hawl). I don't really see why he chose to represent his hobgoblins as stupid thugs, other than to make the Viper Clan more sympathetic and impressive, or just to give us laughs at Borrl's expense ("Where be Viper chief?"). Thoughts?

Yuki Akuma
2006-11-14, 08:35 AM
Obviously the hobgoblin leader's dump stat was Intelligence. Hobgoblins use the elite array for NPCs, after all, and that includes an 8. ;) And if you're a leader you can't exactly dump Charisma, can you?

TinSoldier
2006-11-14, 09:29 AM
As to the latest update, I think Thunt's being a little unfair to hobgoblins; in D&D, they're just as smart as goblins; just bigger, stronger, tougher, and more charismatic (all relative terms). I'm not sure I like his decision to present them as "big dumbs," like you would expect from orcs or bugbears - we have examples of at least an Orc who is intelligent enough to be a businessman, if not exactly clever (Hawl). I don't really see why he chose to represent his hobgoblins as stupid thugs, other than to make the Viper Clan more sympathetic and impressive, or just to give us laughs at Borrl's expense ("Where be Viper chief?"). Thoughts?Thunt made a good response (http://www.snotling.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=46407#forumpost46407) over on snotling.org explaining this a bit.

I think we are being too hasty in judging the hobs based on their chief's speech patterns. If I understand correctly, the accent was added to give the hobs a different flavor, not to portray them as stupid.

Nerd-o-rama
2006-11-14, 06:11 PM
Well, I'm satisfied. Cultural accent + particularly slow leader. Now to shut up and see if we ever get a bonus update.

Captain van der Decken
2006-11-15, 03:49 PM
I understand the slow leader, but an accent of you be crushes! is an odd one to say the least.

I kinda feel sorry for the guy, not knowing what he got himself into. I except the goblins'll win.

shoey
2006-11-29, 12:55 AM
Thunt just updated... finally back to the Goblin PCs.

Ooooooooh... just got the Goblins softcover book... very pretty.

The Orange Zergling
2006-11-29, 01:21 AM
Like I said... there's no real ship, as can match the Interceptor...

And who guards a sewage pipe anyway? :smallconfused:

ElfLad
2006-11-29, 01:40 AM
"Someone's throwing rocks at us from the woods! Get 'em"

It's hilarious how they're smart enough to not fall for that old trick, but get tricked anyway.

Om
2006-11-29, 01:03 PM
Funny stuff. I was wondering whether to keep reading Goblins (I hate strips where nothing happens) so these were timely.

Grey Watcher
2006-11-29, 01:51 PM
Is it bad that I actually prefer the Tempts Fate strips to the main comic they're supposed to support (which is good, I just like Tempts better, that's all)?

Captain van der Decken
2006-11-29, 02:00 PM
What, because of the mudhoney babes?:wink:

I love how they know about OOC stuff, like random encounters.

Grey Watcher
2006-11-29, 02:12 PM
What, because of the mudhoney babes?:wink:

Actually, I thought that was a kind of lackluster episode, though I did like the whole dichotomy between the way they're programmed to behave and what their real attitudes are. And the escape from that plane was a great gag. :-)

Lord Herman
2006-12-11, 02:00 PM
Has anyone read the latest Tempts Fate?

That's got to be the best solution to a riddle door I've ever seen.

Captain van der Decken
2006-12-11, 02:53 PM
*Goes and checks*

Heheh.

Gordium called- they have a knot that you may want to take a look at.