PDA

View Full Version : 5e Fire Emblem Extra Rules! (WIP/PEACH)

Pyon
2016-01-08, 01:36 PM
I was reading some fire emblem class homebrews and I really wanted to simulate the rules of Fire Emblem. A few of them could be really fun I think. Here's a very WIP version of these rules

Weapon Triangle
Add tags to the following weapons:
Sword tag: Greatsword, Longsword, Rapier, Shortsword, Scimitar
Axe tag: Handaxe, Greataxe, Warhammer, War Pick, Maul
Spear tag: Spear, Halberd, lance, javelin, Quarterstaff,

When a creature using a weapon with a "sword" tag attacks a creature wielding a weapon with an "axe" tag, they get a +1 to the attack and damage roll. When a creature wielding a weapon with an "axe" tag attacks a creature wielding a weapon with a "sword" tag, they get a -1 to the attack and damage roll.
This make a rock paper scissors mechanic. It goes sword --> Axe --> Spear --> Sword.

Missile Weapons
The following weapons gain the "missile" tag.
Missile tag: Crossbow Light, hand Crossbow, Heavy Crossbow, shortbow, longbow.
When an attack using a weapon with the "missile" tag hits a flying target, the target takes double your weapon damage.

This is what I've got so far. I'll add more to cover the other weapons. Any ideas that should be applied to cover important mechanics?

Prince Zahn
2016-01-10, 04:01 AM
I think that you are on the right track, weapon choice plays a crucial role in FE combat. With that being said, offering a bonus or penalty is a little outdated for fifth edition. So few things add static bonuses in this edition. What you could do is work with adding or decreasing a d4 to attack and damage in those situations. You don't want to offer advantage over something this easy to do either. That would both cheapen adv/disadv and make the game much more high powered.

I would also limit weapon proficiecies in 5e with FE rules. I. e classes that get all martial weapons would choose any two weapon categories, including bows, sans the magic ones. Elves also might still get auto proficiency in bows (or swords, if that makes sense to you) or could wield specific weapons to their race).

Dealing double damage against flying targets is very powerful, even though it makes sense given the video games. I recommend thinking up a way around it.

GanonBoar
2016-01-10, 06:05 AM
Why don't you add in the revised weapon triangle from fates? Swords+Magic->Axes+Bows->Lances and Hidden Weapons->Swords and Magic. Means nothing gets left out, apart from the maul which could be put into Lances maybe?
Hidden weapons could include daggers and stuff. Bows and Magic are self explanatory, but it would only apply to magic that uses an attack roll.

Also, just nitpicking here, but I'm fairly sure the weapon triangle is Swords->Axes->Lances->Swords, not Swords->Axes->Spears->Swords.

Pyon
2016-01-10, 09:20 AM
I think that you are on the right track, weapon choice plays a crucial role in FE combat. With that being said, offering a bonus or penalty is a little outdated for fifth edition. So few things add static bonuses in this edition. What you could do is work with adding or decreasing a d4 to attack and damage in those situations. You don't want to offer advantage over something this easy to do either. That would both cheapen adv/disadv and make the game much more high powered.

I would also limit weapon proficiecies in 5e with FE rules. I. e classes that get all martial weapons would choose any two weapon categories, including bows, sans the magic ones. Elves also might still get auto proficiency in bows (or swords, if that makes sense to you) or could wield specific weapons to their race).

Dealing double damage against flying targets is very powerful, even though it makes sense given the video games. I recommend thinking up a way around it.

Thanks for replying guys! I did +1 on purpose, because in FE you don't get bonus damage over other weapons you normally get a bonus or penalty to hit. I think this way is the best way to emulate it.

The Martial classes part is something I meant to do as well. I just don't know how to go about it correctly. Maybe gives one set of proficiencies at level 1, and then another set of proficiencies at level 6 for the martial classes?

And I now realize, that does nerf flying pretty badly. Maybe just add a bonus die? Like a bonus d6 to damage? This would also make characters like ranged assassins really deadly against flying units making the idea cool.

Why don't you add in the revised weapon triangle from fates? Swords+Magic->Axes+Bows->Lances and Hidden Weapons->Swords and Magic. Means nothing gets left out, apart from the maul which could be put into Lances maybe?
Hidden weapons could include daggers and stuff. Bows and Magic are self explanatory, but it would only apply to magic that uses an attack roll.

Also, just nitpicking here, but I'm fairly sure the weapon triangle is Swords->Axes->Lances->Swords, not Swords->Axes->Spears->Swords.

The triangle changes every game, and my favorite one is the one from Radiant Dawn to be honest. It's Swords->Axes->Spears->Swords with bows and hidden weapons ignoring the triangle. Magic has it's own triangle, but I have NOOOOOOO idea how to emulate the triangle in DND, seeing how we have much more than five types of damage.

I also plan on adding more weapons to the list. Weapons like hammers are classified as axes, so I was planning on adding the other bludgeoning weapons as axes as well.

Fast Jimmy
2016-01-10, 09:34 AM
I was reading some fire emblem class homebrews and I really wanted to simulate the rules of Fire Emblem. A few of them could be really fun I think. Here's a very WIP version of these rules

Weapon Triangle
Add tags to the following weapons:
Sword tag: Greatsword, Longsword, Rapier, Shortsword, Scimitar
Axe tag: Handaxe, Greataxe, Warhammer, War Pick, Maul
Spear tag: Spear, Halberd, lance, javelin, Quarterstaff,

When a creature using a weapon with a "sword" tag attacks a creature wielding a weapon with an "axe" tag, they get a +1 to the attack and damage roll. When a creature wielding a weapon with an "axe" tag attacks a creature wielding a weapon with a "sword" tag, they get a -1 to the attack and damage roll.
This make a rock paper scissors mechanic. It goes sword --> Axe --> Spear --> Sword.

Missile Weapons
The following weapons gain the "missile" tag.
Missile tag: Crossbow Light, hand Crossbow, Heavy Crossbow, shortbow, longbow.
When an attack using a weapon with the "missile" tag hits a flying target, the target takes double your weapon damage.

This is what I've got so far. I'll add more to cover the other weapons. Any ideas that should be applied to cover important mechanics?

This is a pretty cool adaption, but there's one thing to consider - video games are able to easily keep track of what type of weapon types everyone has and can calculate the necessary flags quite easily... this is not the case with tabletop games. Usually a DM will just say an encounter has five goblins or three bandits - not the exact weapon type they have, which could even vary between bandit to bandit.

So you'd either need to prompt this information from your DM every fight, possibly even every attack as you target different creatures. And then you'd need to do the (rather simple, for what it's worth) math every attack. While not bad, it definitely begins to erode away at the "fast and easy" playstyle 5E has tried to aim for.

I personally think that's why 5E is great at being able to create new content (new races, classes, archetypes, etc.) rather than brand new rules, since it really is designed to use a rules-lite system to begin with. Just my two cp.

Pyon
2016-01-10, 12:47 PM
This is a pretty cool adaption, but there's one thing to consider - video games are able to easily keep track of what type of weapon types everyone has and can calculate the necessary flags quite easily... this is not the case with tabletop games. Usually a DM will just say an encounter has five goblins or three bandits - not the exact weapon type they have, which could even vary between bandit to bandit.

So you'd either need to prompt this information from your DM every fight, possibly even every attack as you target different creatures. And then you'd need to do the (rather simple, for what it's worth) math every attack. While not bad, it definitely begins to erode away at the "fast and easy" playstyle 5E has tried to aim for.

I personally think that's why 5E is great at being able to create new content (new races, classes, archetypes, etc.) rather than brand new rules, since it really is designed to use a rules-lite system to begin with. Just my two cp.

Well in a FE campaign the DM would be prepared for the weapons. They would use names like "lance bandit" or "axe goblin". I understand that it is a lot of work but that captures the FE feel.

Prince Zahn
2016-01-12, 12:34 AM
Well in a FE campaign the DM would be prepared for the weapons. They would use names like "lance bandit" or "axe goblin". I understand that it is a lot of work but that captures the FE feel.

I think I mentioned that a system based on FE would need heavy sanctions on weapon proficiecies, or at least a different, more customized way to distribute them.

For example, Barbarians would likely get axes and the like and maybe 1 more, Clerics would get one kind of weapon prof, and staves, and could use divine magic, mages get staves and magic (I. E scrolls and wands and stuff) in addition to Arcane magic, you get the point.

you might rule that in FE 5e, casters need their spellbook/prayer book at hand or to wield a staff to cast a spell. . .

Having these rules that would usually seem limited make keeping track of the weapon triangle much simpler. If I can only wield "axe" and "spear", then I know that I have an upper hand on anyone wielding "spear" or "sword" weapons.

Finally, I think a d4 to hit is enough for 5th edition, it's kind of a lot anyway, when most creatures have an AC wrapped around 15.