PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 5e Summoning Supplement [WIP] [PEACH]

WarrentheHero
2016-01-09, 03:27 AM
This is an attempt to improve conjuration and summoning for spellcasters in D&D 5e. I find it to be really lackluster right now, being unable to summon things in a meaningful way until 5th-level (spell level 3rd) with Animate Dead, and if you're not a Necromancer, you weren't likely to actually summon a creature until 7th-level (spell level 4th) with Conjure Minor Elementals. This makes the idea of a summoner character annoying to pull off, and downright impossible at low-level. I've always been a fan of summoning, and this is one of my greatest disappointments of 5e. So I'm trying to rectify that by making more spells, more creatures, more options.

As stated in the title, this is a work in progress, an ongoing process. It is not complete, but I'll put some work into it each day. Any feedback at any stage of this project is welcome.

For the most part, spells seem to summon a creature of their own level. Conjure Elemental is 5th-level and summons CR 5, Conjure Fey is 6th-level and summons CR 6, True Polymorph, though not a Conjuration spell, is a 9th-level spell that can create a CR 9 creature. The only exceptions are Animate Dead, a 3rd level spell that creates Skeletons or Zombies, typically CR 1/4, though subject to change. The other exception is Conjure Minor Elementals (4th), Conjure Woodland Beings (4th), and Conjure Animals (3rd level) that all have versatility over power.

These aren't conditions that necessarily effect combat, but it's a way to add in text and info and restrictions without having to type it into every single spell.

This creature is bound into the service of another, and its abilities- and will- are limited. While under the control of another, it is effected thusly:

A summoned creature's casts a spell, it uses the Spell Slots of the one who summoned it rather than its own.
A summoned creature is entirely under the command of its summoner. This command is instant and telepathic in nature.
A summoned creature can be effected by the Dispel spell. If so targeted, the DC is the summoner's Spell Save DC. If the Dispel is successful, the summoner loses concentration on the spell that inflicted this condition.
A summoned creature is effected by Banishing Smite and Banishment as though it was not native to the current plane of existence. If it is actually native, it returns to the part of the plane from which it was summoned.
If the spell that

This creature is binding one or more other creatures to its will. It is effected in the following ways:

A summoner can only have creatures bound to its service whose total CR is equal to no more than the summoner's total level.
A creature summoned by a Summoner uses the Summoner's Spell Slots rather than its own when casting spells; cantrips are unaffected by this.
A summoner issues instant, mental commands to creatures summoned by it.
All creatures bound to you take their turn on the same initiative, immediately after yours.
Familiars do not subject you to the Summoner condition.
When you control no bound creatures, you lose the Summoner condition.

1st-level conjuration for Druids, Wizards
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S, M (used match, handful of sand, a feather, a waterskin)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
You call forth an elemental to fight for you in an unoccupied space you can see within range. The elemental you summon must be of CR 1 or lower. The elemental is subject to the Summoned Condition, and you are subject to the Summoner condition. If your concentration is broken, the elemental doesn't disappear. Instead, you lose control of the elemental, it becomes hostile toward you and your companions, and it might attack. An uncontrolled elemental can't be dismissed by you and disappears at the end of the spell's duration.
At Higher Levels.When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you summon an elemental with with a maximum of 1 higher CR for every spell slot used beyond 1st. If this spell is cast using a slot of 5th level or higher, the duration increases to Concentration, up to 1 hour.

1st-level Conjuration for Clerics, Warlocks, Wizards
Components: V, S, M (a piece of golden string, a burnt pbit of flesh, the hoof of an animal)
You call forth a celestial, demon, or devil to fight for you in an unoccupied space you can see within range. The outsider you summon must be of CR 1 or lower. The outsider is subject to the Summoned Condition, and you are subject to the Summoner condition. If your concentration is broken, the outsider doesn't disappear. A celestial flees combat while a demon becomes hostile to you and your allies. A devil may be bargained with to continue fighting for you. To do so, you must succeed on a Charisma contest with the devil. If you succeed, it follows your orders as though you hadn't lost concentration. If the devil succeeds, it becomes hostile to you and your allies. Each kind of outsider disaappears at the end of the spell's duration.
At Higher Levels.When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you summon an outsider with a maximum of 1 higher CR for every spell slot used beyond 1st. If this spell is cast using a slot of 5th level or higher, the duration increases to Concentration, up to 1 hour.

1st-level conjuration for Druids, Warlocks, Wizards
Components: V, S, M (the needle of an evergreen)
You call forth a fey creature to fight for you in an unoccupied space you can see within range. The fey you summon must be a non-humanoid of CR 1 or lower. The creature is subject to the Summoned Condition, and you are subject to the Summoner condition. If your concentration is broken, the fey doesn't disappear. Instead, you lose control of the fey, it becomes hostile toward you and your companions, and it might attack. An uncontrolled fey can't be dismissed by you and disappears at the end of the spell's duration.
For the purposes of this spell, a Faerie Dragon counts as a Fey creature, and a Faerie Dragon summoned this way is treated as a Fey in all cases in which it is relevant.
At Higher Levels.When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you summon a fey with a maximum of 1 higher CR for every spell slot used beyond 1st. If this spell is cast using a slot of 5th level or higher, the duration increases to Concentration, up to 1 hour.

1st-level conjuration for Druids, Sorcerers, Wizards
Components: V, S, M (the needle of an evergreen)
You call forth a spectral dragon to fight for you in an unoccupied space you can see within range. This Dragon is not a real dragon, it is a mere imitation of one, but is no less dangerous or willful. The dragon you summon must be a non-humanoid of CR 1 or lower. The creature is subject to the Summoned Condition, and you are subject to the Summoner condition. If your concentration is broken, the dragon doesn't disappear. Instead, you lose control of the dragon, it becomes hostile toward you and your companions, and it might attack. An uncontrolled dragon can't be dismissed by you and disappears at the end of the spell's duration.
At Higher Levels.When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you summon a dragon with a maximum of 1 higher CR for every spell slot used beyond 1st. If this spell is cast using a slot of 5th level or higher, the duration increases to Concentration, up to 1 hour.

2nd-level conjuration for Druids, Wizards
Casting Time: 1 minute
Components: V, S, M (a small gem worth no less than 20 gold, red, brown, clear, or blue in coloration, which this spell consumes)
Duration: 1 hour
You attempt to bind an elemental to a gem in your possession, and therefore to your will. The elemental must succeed on a Charisma saving throw or be bound. An elemental already bound by another creature has advantage on this save. The elemental is subject to the Summoned condition, and you are subject to the Summoner condition. If the creature succeeds on its saving throw, it is not bound to you, but the component is not consumed. When the spell ends, the elemental becomes unbound from you. An unbound elemental becomes hostile toward you and your companions, and it might attack. If it was previously bound to another creature, it becomes re-bound to them, if they choose, with whatever duration was remaining on their spell before you cast Bind Elemental.

2nd-level necromancy for Clerics, Wizards
[Casting Time: 1 action
Components: V, S, M (a small chunk of bone, a bit of flesh, or a rotted eyeball)
Duration: 1 hour
You imbue one medium-sized skeleton or corpse with a semblance of life. For the duration, it rises as an undead with the Summoned condition, and you gain the Summoner condition. The creature's statistics are as they were in life, with the following exceptions:

Its Intelligence and Charisma are lowered to 4 if they were not already lower.
Its creature type is changed to undead if it was not already.
It can only make attack per turn, even if it had Multiattack in life.
It loses the Spellcasting trait, if it had it.

The spell cannot raise a creature that had a CR of 3 or higher. When the spell ends, the magic empowering the corpse fails and the corpse collapses.

Elementals
Fire Snake

Small Elemental
Armor Class 14 (natural armor)
Hit Points 18 (4d8)
Speed 0ft., fly 30ft. (hover)
8 STR (-1) 15 Dex (+2) 11 Con (+0) 7 Int (-2) 10 Wis (+0) 8 Cha (-1)
Damage Vulnerabilities Thunder
Damage Resistances bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities lightning
Senses Blindsight 60ft. (blind beyond this radius)
Languages Understands Auran but can't speak
Challenge 1 (200 XP)

Air Form. An Air Puff's body is like that of a cloud; it can enter a hostile creature's space and stop there. It can move through a space as narrow as 1 inch wide without squeezing.

Actions
Multiattack. The Air Puff makes two Weak Bolt attacks, two Slam attacks, or one Weak Bolt and one Slam attack.

Weak Bolt. Ranged Spell Attack: +3 to hit, 30 foot range, one target. Hit: 5 (d10) lightning damage.

Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d4+1) bludgeoning damage plus 3 (1d6) lightning damage.

Charge. The Air Puff charges its body. The next time a creature touches it or hits it with a melee attack while within 5 feet of it takes 4 (2d4) lightning damage.

Small Elemental
Hit Points 22 (5d8)
Speed 30 ft., Swim 40ft.
12 STR (+1) 15 Dex (+2) 11 Con (+0) 7 Int (-2) 10 Wis (+0) 8 Cha (-1)
Damage Vulnerabilities Lightning
Damage Immunities cold
Senses Blindsight 20 ft.
Languages Understands Aquan but can't speak
Challenge 1 (200 XP)

Water Form. A Waterwhip's body is lith and liquid; it can enter a hostile creature's space and stop there. It can move through a space as narrow as 1 inch wide without squeezing.

Actions
Multiattack. The Waterwhip makes two Slam attacks.

Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d4+1) bludgeoning damage plus 3 (1d6) cold damage.

Constrict. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (2d6 + 2) bludgeoning damage. If the target is Medium or smaller, it is grappled (escape DC 11). Until the grapple ends, the target is restrained, the the Waterwhip tries to drown it, and the Waterwhip can't constrict another target.

Armor Class 16 (natural armor)
Hit Points 28 (6d8 + 2)
Speed 25 ft.
14 STR (+2) 9 Dex (-1) 15 Con (+2) 7 Int (-2) 10 Wis (+0) 8 Cha (-1)
Damage Vulnerabilities thunder
Damage Immunities poison
Senses Darkvision 30 ft., Tremorsense 30ft.
Languages Understands Terran but can't speak
Challenge 1 (200 XP)

Siege Monster. The Mobile Rock deals double damage to objects and structures.

False Appearance. While the Mobile Rock remains motionless, it is indistinguishable from a natural rock.

Actions
Multiattack. The Waterwhip makes two Slam attacks.

Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (2d8) bludgeoning damage.

Celestials

small celestial
Hit Points 18 (4d8)
Speed 0ft., fly 30ft. (hover)
8 STR (-1) 15 Dex (+2) 11 Con (+0) 7 Int (-2) 10 Wis (+0) 8 Cha (-1)
Damage Immunities poison, radiant
Senses Blindsight 90ft. (blind beyond this radius)
Languages Understands Celestial but can't speak
Challenge 1 (200 XP)

Ephemeral. A Mote of Light can't carry wear or carry anything.

Variable Illumination. The Mote of Light sheds bright light in a 5- to 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional number of feet equal to the chosen radius. The More of Light can alter the radius as a bonus action.

Actions
Multiattack. The Mote of Light makes two Gleam attacks, two Slam attacks, or one Gleam and one Slam attack.

Gleam. Ranged Spell Attack: +3 to hit, 30 foot range, one target. Hit: 5 (d10) radiant damage.

Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d4+1) bludgeoning damage plus 3 (1d6) radiant damage.

Fey
Dryad
Faerie Dragon (young)

Demons
Quasit

Devils
Imp

Dragons
Brass Dragon Wyrmling
Copper Dragon Wyrmling
Faerie Dragon (young)

Elementals
Gargoyle

Celestials
Pegasus

Fey
Faerie Dragon (old)
Sea Hag

Demons

Devils
Spined Devil

Dragons
Black Dragon Wyrmling
Bronze Dragon Wyrmling
Faerie Dragon (old)
Green Dragon Wyrmling
Silver Dragon Wyrmling

EDIT LOG
1-12-16:A host of changes; added the conditions, added Conjure Dragon, added Bind Elemental, added Animate Corpse, added CR 2 list, added At Higher Levels to each of the Conjure spells.

Contributor Log
This is a log of people who have contributed ideas that have caused or convinced me to make changes in the Supplement. If you feel you have been left out, let me know.
Mith (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?81344-Mith)
Fast Jimmy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?112083-Fast-Jimmy)
weaseldust (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?106406-weaseldust)

Mith
2016-01-10, 01:24 AM
Although I have no feedback for the individual creatures at this point, one idea that I have come across that you might want to incorporate into this supplement is that spell slots of summoned creatures use your own spell slots. The idea is to cut down on how summoning gains free spell slots easily.

Fast Jimmy
2016-01-10, 11:13 AM
I really like the idea of making more summons available at lower levels.

However, one thing that 5E allows (and I wish was more utilized by the existing spell list) is scalable spells cast at higher spell slots.

Conjure Minor Elemental could just replace Conjure Elemental entirely - just add a CR increase per spell level or more advanced form for certain levels:

Level 1, conjures minor elemental. If cast at level 3 it conjures lesser elemental, if cast at level 5 it conjures normal elemental, if cast at level 7 it conjures a greater elemental, and so on and so forth. This way, you have one spell to prepare for elemental summoning instead of four, which lets you prepare more summon spells (like a Fey summoning or a creature summoning spell) while also letting you have other spells prepared so you can actually be a wizard as well instead of just a massive list of summon spells.

Does that make sense?

WarrentheHero
2016-01-10, 01:40 PM
That does make more sense in context of 5e. My original plan was to allow Cast At Higher Levels in order to get rid of the "hostile when unbound" effect. But again, in the style of 5e, your idea is more appropriate.

Mith
2016-01-10, 01:58 PM
Is the "hostile when unbound" effect mean it specifically targets you and your allies, or that everyone in the vicinity is fair game (So summoning an elemental in a city and then setting it loose is a good way to cause mass panic for example)

Fast Jimmy
2016-01-10, 02:27 PM
That does make more sense in context of 5e. My original plan was to allow Cast At Higher Levels in order to get rid of the "hostile when unbound" effect. But again, in the style of 5e, your idea is more appropriate.

Well, one way to circumvent that is the Conjuration School's feature to never break concentration for a Conjuration spell? I can't think of too many ways a creature can become unbound outside of lost Concentration.

WarrentheHero
2016-01-10, 05:39 PM
True.

What do you think of the statblocks for the summonable monsters? What you can summon is every bit as important as how you can summon it, and the MM doesn't offer much in the way of summon-able critters.

Fast Jimmy
2016-01-10, 06:50 PM
True.

What do you think of the statblocks for the summonable monsters? What you can summon is every bit as important as how you can summon it, and the MM doesn't offer much in the way of summon-able critters.

Unfortunately, MM statblocks are definitely not my area of expertise. My only tidbit of advice would be to maybe look at the stat blocks of dragons, with wyrmling, young, adult and ancient and try to mirror some of the leaps (but lower stats, because dragons have a much higher power curve than an elemental). They are one of the few monsters in the MM with four different power level of stat blocks.

Heck, maybe throw in a dragon summoning spell. Don't think I've seen that in a spell for 5e.

weaseldust
2016-01-10, 08:50 PM
Your own CR1 creatures are appropriately balanced for low-level summons, and the way you've worded the spells appropriately limits the impact of some of the abilities of the PHB creatures (like the imp's intelligence and good senses being useful for scouting). I do think you need to explicitly rule out having them cast spells.

I also lean towards thinking the spells should be classified at level 2 instead of level 1. My thinking is that Spiritual Weapon is a level 2 spell that lets you use a bonus action to make an extra attack. Your spells allow for similar extra damage with the use of a bonus action, but they also give your party another lump of HP and provide for more versatility because the summoned creature might be able to fly, interact with objects, and perform other tasks. The only extra downside to your spells is the concentration limit (and the possibility of facing a hostile CR1 creature if you lose concentration, which really militates against the spell being available at level 1 anyway).

Mith
2016-01-10, 09:40 PM
A writing error: When describing the Fey in Conjure Weak Fey, you refer to them as elementals in the second half of the description.

Levism84
2016-01-11, 03:00 PM
I would definitely look at what a conjurer wizard gets and how that might affect any summoned creature. The 30 temporary hit points come to mind, along with the wizard's class features that would allow them to cast a level 1-2 spell at will. That could make for a ridiculous summoner, although the mechanics surely warrant further investigation and playtesting.

WarrentheHero
2016-01-11, 07:08 PM
Thanks for all the feedback so far, everyone! I've been busy since originally posting, but I should be able to update this late late tonight, using your suggestions. Almost all of my homebrew posts keep an Edit Log, but in addition to that I'll start a Contributor Log to keep track of the posters who have helped enhance this Supplement.

Thanks again everyone; we're making great steps!

WarrentheHero
2016-01-12, 08:47 PM
Some changes have been made. I've started on a CR 2 list, but the MM has such a pitiful spread of CR 2 creatures, especially elementals, that's it's difficult. If anyone has any ideas for elementals for any given CR (even more CR 1s would be nice), please post them. Not just elementals, but any creature type.

For those wondering, I included something about Necromancy because it goes so hand-in-hand with Conjuration and the idea of summoning. More ideas concerning Necromancy would also be appreciated.

JackPhoenix
2016-01-25, 09:13 AM
While I love summoners, I would be wary of equating spell level with creature's CR. Having CR5 elemental from level 5 spell is fine at level 9, it's something different to get CR1 creature at level 1...that's generally stronger then any single member of the party. Dryad gets you 3x Entangle, 3x Goodberry, Barkskin and Pass without trace for spell slot...at level 1. Or even better, a Pixie with Confusion, Polymorph, Sleep, Dispel Magic... and no, Summoned condition doesn't solve that thanks to its wording, neither of them casts the spells from spell slots (Innate Spellcasting vs. Spellcasting)

Another thing are your homebrewed elementals: Look at your Mobile Rock, for example: compared to a dedicated melee creature of the same level, Dire Wolf, for example: better AC, less hp, though damage resistance basically doubles them, better damage.

WarrentheHero
2016-01-25, 10:45 AM
Alright, I'll look into these issues. With classes starting up again its not as easy to find the time to work on projects like this, but I'll keep an eye open, thanks.

Do you have any suggestions for a fix to the CR? As I mentioned in the Design Principles section, the spells (at higher levels, at least) that deal with Summoning creatures all have a direct Spell Level-to-CR correlation. I was trying to keep consistent. One thing I am considering making a change to is that rather than have Summoned creatures take full turns, allow you to make them move and attack as a bonus action on your turn. This eliminates Multiattack, and makes Action Economy important. It may not directly lower the creature's stats, but it may lower the overall power of Summoning overall enough to compensate.

With regards to the fey creatures (or any creatures) who have their Innate Summoning, is there any fix you can think of? If possible I'd like to keep "summoncasting" in the system, but it is a very powerful tool and can easily be taken advantage of if there aren't rules in place to curb it. Maybe word it like "If a Summoned creature casts a spell, you lose a spell slot of a level equal to the spell being cast as if you had cast it yourself. If you don't have a spell slot to expend this way, the Summoned creature cannot cast a spell"?

As for the Mobile Rock I'll do another sweep. All of those were more-or-less patterned off of the Fire Snake, but I may have lost focus along the way. Thanks for pointing that iut!

WarrentheHero
2016-01-25, 10:46 AM
Also, pay no heed to the egregious grammar problems in the document; I don't know how I let those slip past me.