PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Mystic Theurge

FavouredNight
2016-01-10, 09:01 PM
Hi Everyone!

I was thinking of trying to find a way to turn the Mystic Theurge into a base class for D&D 5e but hit the road block of it not having any class features. SO I am coming to you guys for advice. What sort of class features would you recommend for a Mystic Theurge and what current base class would you build off of.

Thanks for the advice

JNAProductions
2016-01-10, 09:37 PM
What is this "Thurge" you speak of? I know of Theurges, but not of Thurges. :P

Also, check my sig-I already made a Mystic Theurge as a Prestige Class. I'm not sure it really works as a base class.

sengmeng
2016-01-10, 11:19 PM
I'm not sure it really works as a base class.

I'm not sure it works as a prestige class.

Levism84
2016-01-11, 04:34 AM
Well, one thing about 5th edition that is already done for you is spell slots from multiclassing are already shared. The bad part is you lack the ability to learn higher level spells to use in those higher level spell slots. Also, allowing a class to cast both arcane and divine spells is less of an issues in 5th since spells don't have a specifically "arcane" or "divine" connotation (even though there are some spells that are clearly arcane/divine in primary use.

I think the closest thing you have to a MT in 5th, presently, is the Arcana Cleric. It gets 2 wizard cantrips of your choice, 10 pre-selected wizard spells (2 each of level 1st through 5th), and your choice of a 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th level wizard spell to add to your spell list as always being prepared. Add in a few arcane themed cleric abilities and you have the making of a powerful cleric/wizard hybrid spellcaster.

However, if you are looking to go the more blended route, you might consider starting with the wizard as the base class instead and giving them the Mystic Theurge arcane tradition. You could allow them to pick up 2 cleric cantrips of their choice, choose a cleric domain to gain bonus spells at levels 1st through 5th (or choose 2 cleric spells of each spell level they can cast 1st through 5th) as their divine learning, and finally grant them a 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th level cleric spell to add to their spell list. Unfortunately, wizard archetypes capstone out at 14th, leaving really no way to add the higher level spells to their list of known spells without a preexisting mechanic to add divine spells at higher levels.

You could go with a simple, they can copy arcane spells and divine spells they come across into their spellbook, but then you run the risk of them being "super wizards" who can cast anything. Having some limitation on both arcane and divine would be ideal.

You could model it off of a more limited list of spells known, like the bard or sorcerer, where they have to choose half cleric and half wizard but use Charisma as their spellcasting ability score. This would solve the issues of whether or not they use Intelligence or Wisdom for casting (they use neither!). While the wider selection of spells would greatly increase their utility as caster, they would have to make many tough decisions for which spells they learn. Even if they strike a good balance of offensive, healing, and utility spells, they still have a limited number of spell slots to use and that still keeps them mechanically balanced to an extent.

I suppose it all depends on what you want to do with the class.

Arkhios
2016-01-11, 04:44 AM
Also, you might want to check this out, if not for anything else, then for ideas :)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?462187-Theurge-Base-Class