PDA

View Full Version : [AGE] The AGE of Darkness

DiBastet
2016-01-11, 10:26 AM
http://i.imgur.com/oRiwyug.png?2

Hello playground, it's been a while.

Today I bring you a conversion I did of the (new) World of Darkness mechanics to green ronin's Adventure Game Engine (AGE) in this glorious LINK (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwIvZFGYU97YV3JiSzF4VXlubGs/view).

Splats
Changeling the Dreaming (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwIvZFGYU97YdFQ0djJfT1VHelU/view?usp=sharing)
Age: The Forsaken (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwIvZFGYU97YV3AzUEhsZ21NamM/view?usp=sharing), with a conversion of the Changing Breeds blue line book!
Scion - Demigod: Coming soon

"Wait, what? Why?", I hear your thoughts.

Well, since I have a Werewolf the Apocalypse tattoo it comes as no surprise that I'm a fan of the WoD settings. But I'm not those diehard "I grew up with the old system so the new ones suck"; in fact I like the new games even more than the old ones. White wolf became more mature, left the horrible metaplot behind and got better at creating rules. I specially like the "Blue Books", the core book to play with mortals in horror settings.

However I can't handle complex systems anymore, that's why I ported my 5e games to Age in the first place. And when GR went in the direction of with their Fantasy Age I was inspired to create a Modern Age variant.

After I did the simple conversion (really, just add a resource system, more focuses, vehicles and guns) I asked myself "if my modern games are always horror, why don't I convert WoD so i can use my books and they don't get moldy?", and so I did exactly that. After playing by them for some time I remembered that my gitp account was abandoned since I left 5e and decided to put up an english version for you guys.

The design goals of this conversion were these:

1 - To use the simplicity of the AGE rules whenever possible.
I tried to keep to the spirit of WoD rules instead of the letter, and most of the times when AGE already had a rule I just use it.

2 - Maximum compatibility.
I also wanted that I or anyone using these rules could open their WoD book to look for a rule and use it as it was, just in an Age way. No need for "here it says presence + politics, so it makes sense roll a Communication (Persuasion) focus". Instead you find your rule and goes "Here, roll Dexterity + Athletics" and that makes sense.

3 - Use the new, improved and "indier" rules of the God Machine Update.
If you have just the original core book you may download the God Machine Rules Update for free. Bye Morality, hello Integrity. Monsters and mortals play by the same rules. You just apply your supernatural template and there you go.

And that's it, really. It's a simple, almost quick and dirty conversion that took me some time to complete but that works pretty well.

If you play AGE then you already know that the system is great and here's another option for you. :smallamused:

If you don't even know what it is but you like simpler systems, then you might want to consider looking for it. The Fantasy Age book is pretty good, and recently GR launched the Dragon Age Core, using the same game engine. :smallsmile:

And if you don't like simple systems, well, thanks for reading anyway! :smallbiggrin:

Sidran7e
2016-01-12, 01:31 AM
I am very interested in this project. I hope you will finish this cause I am about to start a FAGE/W:tF Roman era setting. I would love to know how Werewolves, Vampires and the other spooks get their conversions.

DiBastet
2016-01-12, 07:34 AM
Well, I'm actually surprised by someone else playing a non-D&D game here!

I just finished the Changeling Dreaming conversion that a friend asked for, so if you are in need I can prioritize WtF first

DiBastet
2016-01-13, 08:37 AM
Now with Changeling the Dreaming (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwIvZFGYU97YdFQ0djJfT1VHelU/view?usp=sharing).

Cobalt313
2016-01-13, 05:29 PM
Funny that I should see this right as I'm trying my hand at homebrewing my own fusion of New World of Darkness and AGE to make a Bloodborne-based RPG.

DiBastet
2016-01-13, 06:57 PM
Well, first thing I thought: "BAM, there you go"

Cobalt313
2016-01-15, 09:34 PM
So I take it that ranks in the Template kinda equate to respective levels of the template's "special ability" advantage and "morality substitute" advantage?

I ask because I am considering using this as a basis to a bit of a one-shot fansplat of my own.

DiBastet
2016-01-16, 06:06 AM
Yes, but more or less. As a basis, it works like this:

Novice: You become the monster, kinda like a starting character from the monster line. Your Power Points are called X. You use a different integrity stat. You gain all the monster's innate qualities (things like vampire weaknesses, werewolf regen, all described later to not clutter). At this point you choose the monster's chooseable things (clan, tribe, seeming, whatever it's called). You gain the novice degree on one monster special power. The idea os to imimate a monster's "monster potency" (blood potency for vampires, wyrd for Lost, etc) at starting levels. Your Potency modifier is +1, and you add it to resist supernatural powers and any other thing your template allows.

Journeyman: The idea is to simulate a monster with Potency stat at levels 3-4. You gain all the limitations and bonuses of this potency level (like vampires being unable to feed on animals anymore). Your Potency modifier is +2. Buying this degree requires the GM permission.

Master: The idea is to simulate a monster with Potency stat at powerful levels, 6-7. You gain all the limitations and bonuses of this potency level (like vampires being able to feed only on other vampires, Lost being able to incite emotions, etc). Your Potency modifier is +3. You are now able to increase attributes up to 6. Buying this degree requires the GM permission.

That's it, the chassis. Please note that the Changeling (Dreaming) template is the odd man out because their aspects work differently, so don't take it as an example.

DiBastet
2016-03-09, 04:52 PM
And now here is the Age: The Forsaken (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwIvZFGYU97YV3AzUEhsZ21NamM/view?usp=sharing) conversion.

DreamingGod05
2016-03-10, 01:58 PM
These are very good. When you get to Vampire, are you going to do Masquerade or Requiem? (Also, off-topic question, do you know where to get homebrew for AGE system? I used to have a document that translated some DnD stuff to it, drow, some more spells and specs, but seem to have lost it...)

DiBastet
2016-03-10, 06:10 PM
Well, Requiem at first. But if there is interest I can also make a Masquerade conversion. Thing is that if I do sothen first I'll use the Vampire Conversion Guide to convert Masquerade to nWoD and then convert it to AGE.

And yes, sure I do. I have a thread at the ronin army forum with every homebrew I could find. The AGE of Eberron has conversions for most D&D things. Here is the link (http://roninarmy.com/threads/3871-Age-of-Homebrew) for the thread.

DreamingGod05
2016-03-10, 08:00 PM
I'm sure many would adore a Masquerade conversion, yes.

Looking over it all, it looks lovely, and well done. I'm a noob for AGE, but a WoD veteran, and I can see you kept the spirit of CoD/WoD.

DiBastet
2016-03-10, 09:38 PM
I can see you kept the spirit of CoD/WoD.

Well that's the best compliment ever. Thank you. :smallbiggrin: