PDA

View Full Version : Knowledge: Meta (Because What You Don't Know Can Hurt You)

Aergoth
2016-01-11, 03:06 PM
Or how to hang a lampshade on metagaming.

So I'm starting a game up for a few friends. And because of the desire for the game to be a little silly and wacky while still using traditional tropes and a few other conflicting desires I decided declare that the events inside the game were an MMO or another type of actual video game, to allow for some humorous lampshading and handwaving.
But since the distinction between player and character is even thinner here, I wanted to cover the fact that today players are playing games assisted by the internet existing. You have guides on how to build a character, walkthroughs that describe quests and areas in minute details, access to maps and the collected knowledge and experience of hundreds if not thousands of other players.

So without further ado.

Knowledge: Metagame

Key Ability: None.

Description: Metagame knowledge represents your ability to find or remember accurate information about the game's construction, the rules or statistics of a monster, the outline of a particular quest or other information. A successful Metagame roll can reveal the existence of traps, the total hit points of an enemy, detail weaknesses or uncover an area of map that would otherwise be unexplored.

Unfortunately, the developers of the game are notorious for seeding false information, removing accurate information and making minor patches to render information learned obsolete. On a failed check, you still learn something, but it's wildly inaccurate, outdated or outright wrong.

Check: Difficulty checks assigned as neccessary.

Action: Rolling Knowledge: Metagame is a full-round action.

Try Again: No

Special: A player is never aware if their information is correct or not until they attempt to act on it.

Restriction: Total Ranks in knowledge: metagame is limited to character level.

Untrained: A character without training in Metagame Knowledge is more likely to produce false results, and even on a successful roll may produce false result. On a successful roll, roll 1d%. If the result is 75 or higher, the check is successful, otherwise it produces a false result as though the check had failed.