PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Warlock Invocations: Pact of the Tome Expanded (PEACH)

Levism84
2016-01-11, 06:36 PM
I was playing around with some warlock stuff and decided to expand the capabilities of a Tome Warlock and what they can do with their Book of Shadows. I wanted to know if these three invocations complemented the Book of Ancient Secrets invocation and the Pact of the Tome warlock feature:

ARS ARCANUM
Prerequisite: 18th level, Pact of the Tome feature
You learn the secret of inscribing powerful spells into your Book of Shadows. Choose four spells from any class's spell list, one from each of the following levels: 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th. The spells needn't be from the same spell list. The spells appear in the book and don't count against the number of spells you know. With your Book of Shadows in hand, you can use your Mystic Arcanum to cast the chosen spells.

PATRON MAGIC
Prerequisite: Pact of the Tome feature
You learn the secret of inscribing your patron's spells into your Book of Shadows. The spells from your patron's Expanded Spell List feature appear in your book, so long as they are of a level you can cast using your Pact Magic feature. These spells don't count against the number of spells you know. With your Book of Shadows in hand, you can use your Pact Magic to cast the chosen spells.

In addition, you may use your Book of Shadows as an arcane focus for casting warlock spells.

SECRET PAGE
Prerequisite: Pact of the Tome feature
You learn the secret of binding magic scrolls to your Book of Shadows. You can read and use any spell scroll, regardless of whether or not the spell is on your list of class spells. You can use an action to hide a spell scroll in your Book of Shadows. This causes the scroll to seamlessly blend in with the rest of the pages in your book, and you can always flip to the correct page simply by concentrating on the spell scroll you wish to use. With your Book of Shadows in hand, you can use an action to activate the spell scroll, as normal.

In addition, using the same ceremony you use to create a new Book of Shadows, you may choose to instead change the appearance of the book to that of any other nonmagical book or tome you have previously read. Your Book of Shadows appears to be a normal copy of whatever book or tome you disguise it as. However, you can choose to see through this illusion in order to gain the benefits of your Book of Shadows.

Fast Jimmy
2016-01-11, 07:02 PM
Hmmmm. The first two features are really good. Maybe not overpowered, but definitely invocations I would consider "automatic" for any Tome Warlock to take over any other, which usually means they are a little unbalanced.

Automatically gaining an 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th level spell, as well as gaining all Patron spells, neither which count against your Spells Known count, means one of the Warlock's biggest liabilities, lack of versatility, is suddenly less of an issue. Again, not game breaking, but certainly "invocations that cannot be passed up."

The third invocation seems nice. From what I read, it basically makes casting spell scrolls much easier (saving you from having to use an action to pull it out, then another action to cast it), something that addressss a serious issue with 5e's action economy and spell scroll system. In addition, the fluff of hiding your book works great here and could actually help out in cases, where you can use your arcane focus and spellbook while being held in a prison by asking for a simple reading book to be delivered to you to pass the time. :D

Levism84
2016-01-11, 08:50 PM
My original plan was to pull the spells only from the wizard spell list, but I wanted to see how it looked by modeling Book of Ancient Secrets that could pull rituals from any spell list. Those first two invocations definitely expand the Tome Warlock's list of spells known (when their Book of Shadows is in hand), but they are still limited to their 4 spell slots (per short rest) and 1 spell per day each of 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th level. I do agree, one of the warlock's greatest liabilities is limited spell selection and these first two invocations greatly diminishes the impact of that liability.

I had also considered making a unique 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th level spell list for each patron and granting those spells as additional Mystic Arcanums known. That might keep the invocation from becoming too overpowered while still expanding versatility and deepening thematic elements by expanding upon the patron's list of expanded spells.

Secret Page was designed to grant the spell scroll bonuses as well as a means for a Tome Warlock to have their Book of Shadows out in the open without it being too obvious. I had also originally planned on that invocation making the Book of Shadows an arcane focus for the warlock, but I shifted that over to Patron Magic because I thought Secret Page might be too multifaceted or overpowered.