PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 5e Genasi Variant [PEACH]

DracoKnight
2016-01-12, 05:14 AM
It always bothered me that the genasi didn't seem to be balanced amongst themselves, the earth and fire genasi, (to me) are clearly better than the air and water genasi. So, to fix that, I have applied the same template to all of them, to bring them all in line with each other in terms of power - and I threw in a couple of new genasi subraces (feywild, legacy, and lightning). Here's my take on the 5e Genasi (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nFJnU3GZ2zS0H1sDrwxqAkLd8NX5ufayL-_DHC7qyYg/edit?usp=sharing) :smallsmile:

GandalfTheWhite
2016-01-12, 01:59 PM
It always bothered me that the genasi didn't seem to be balanced amongst themselves, the earth and fire genasi, (to me) are clearly better than the air and water genasi. So, to fix that, I have applied the same template to all of them, to bring them all in line with each other in terms of power - and I threw in a couple of new genasi subraces (feywild, legacy, and lightning). Here's my take on the 5e Genasi (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nFJnU3GZ2zS0H1sDrwxqAkLd8NX5ufayL-_DHC7qyYg/edit?usp=sharing) :smallsmile:

This is an interesting interpretation of the genasi. Personally, I like the version that WotC put out, but for a set of variant rule, I don't think that this is half bad :smallbiggrin:

DracoKnight
2016-01-13, 06:14 AM
This is an interesting interpretation of the genasi. Personally, I like the version that WotC put out, but for a set of variant rule, I don't think that this is half bad :smallbiggrin:

What do you think about the power levels?

Requiemforlust
2016-01-13, 06:16 AM

I have to say, I disagree, I think that this is better than what WotC put out.

Arkhios
2016-01-13, 07:08 AM
Air genasi: I'm not sure how is it balanced towards the others as they lack resistance to a damage type, while most others have one. Their racial spellcasting is great and flavourful though.

Earth genasi: Solid as a rock. Fitting spells too. Although, resistance to one of the mundane damage types is rather powerful.

Feywild genasi: The fluff is right and well, as is their resistance to poison. However, I'm considered about the Shillelagh cantrip as constitution is already their highest racial ability score, in addition to being their spellcasting ability. This might cause some heavy abuse.

Fire genasi: Fluff seems to be right. But again, the spells bother me. Usually these racial cantrips tend to be more of an utility value rather than outright combat abilities, and it kind of bothers me to give fire genasi cantrip and spells that basically imply that "you must make a melee character out of this, or else you'll waste your racial flavor". What if someone had an idea of a short tempered and impulsive fire genasi who would rather stay as far away from melee as possible?

Legacy genasi: Now this is interesting. I absolutely love this. Even those spells. Great work!

Storm genasi: Eh... I dunno, what's the point in making two distinct inheritors of the djinn. I would rather just give the Lightning Resistance to Air genasi, and drop this one completely. Besides, again, Booming Blade implies you'd just have to make a melee combatant out of this or you'd lose in the cantrip.

Water genasi: Fluff is there, hitting home. However, I'm wondering why acid resistance? Acid and water don't coexist very well in the real world either, resulting in rather rapid (and heated) reactions where the water usually loses the conflict. However, cold damage is usually a result of freezing, and ice is frozen water. Usually, from what I've seen, water based creatures have resistance or even immunity to cold. Why would a water genasi be any different?

DracoKnight
2016-01-13, 07:16 AM
Air genasi: I'm not sure how is it balanced towards the others as they lack resistance to a damage type, while most others have one. Their racial spellcasting is great and flavourful though.

Oops. It was supposed to resist cold damage.

Earth genasi: Solid as a rock. Fitting spells too. Although, resistance to one of the mundane damage types is rather powerful. I was wondering how powerful that would end up being.

Feywild genasi: The fluff is right and well, as is their resistance to poison. However, I'm considered about the Shillelagh cantrip as constitution is already their highest racial ability score, in addition to being their spellcasting ability. This might cause some heavy abuse.

Do you think that Thorn Whip would be a better fit?

Fire genasi: Fluff seems to be right. But again, the spells bother me. Usually these racial cantrips tend to be more of an utility value rather than outright combat abilities, and it kind of bothers me to give fire genasi cantrip and spells that basically imply that "you must make a melee character out of this, or else you'll waste your racial flavor". What if someone had an idea of a short tempered and impulsive fire genasi who would rather stay as far away from melee as possible?

I don't want to force characters into melee, but the published version is ranged, so I decided to make the variant focus on melee.

Legacy genasi: Now this is interesting. I absolutely love this. Even those spells. Great work!

Thank you!

Storm genasi: Eh... I dunno, what's the point in making two distinct inheritors of the djinn. I would rather just give the Lightning Resistance to Air genasi, and drop this one completely. Besides, again, Booming Blade implies you'd just have to make a melee combatant out of this or you'd lose in the cantrip.

The only reason I have them listed as Djinn descendants is because I couldn't think of a lightning-specific elemental. Well, with witch bolt and shatter, you don't have to be in melee. You can function as ranged.

Water genasi: Fluff is there, hitting home. However, I'm wondering why acid resistance? Acid and water don't coexist very well in the real world either, resulting in rather rapid (and heated) reactions where the water usually loses the conflict. However, cold damage is usually a result of freezing, and ice is frozen water. Usually, from what I've seen, water based creatures have resistance or even immunity to cold. Why would a water genasi be any different?

The fluff is directly from WotC. Acid resistance also comes from WotC, the only thing I changed here was the spell list.

M Placeholder
2016-01-13, 07:53 AM
The Ruvoka (http://www.lomion.de/cmm/ruvoka.php) are a humanoid race that are found on all the elemental planes, including lightning.

And considering that all genies have Darkvision out to 120 feet, why (as in the WoTC versions) do only the Fire Genasi have them? IMHO, all of them should have Darkvision.

DracoKnight
2016-01-13, 07:55 AM
The Ruvoka (http://www.lomion.de/cmm/ruvoka.php) are a humanoid race that are found on all the elemental planes, including lightning.

Thanks! This solves my issue! :smallbiggrin:

Arkhios
2016-01-13, 10:27 AM
Oops. It was supposed to resist cold damage.
Thought so (though I still would have them resist lightning).

I was wondering how powerful that would end up being.
I might have earth elemental heritage grant them either a resistance to acid, as natural acids rarely dissolve earthly materials. (in fact, acid is found underground) or limit the bludgeoning resistance only to sources that are non-magical.

Do you think that Thorn Whip would be a better fit?
As a matter of fact, yes, I do think that would be better.

I don't want to force characters into melee, but the published version is ranged, so I decided to make the variant focus on melee. Here's my suggestion for the spells:
Control Flames as a cantrip.
Burning Hands as a 1st-level spell.
Aganazzar's Scorcher as a 2nd-level spell.
All of these are useful in and out of melee. With Control Flames you can still do a number of useful things to help you in and out of combat. A ranged spell attack suffers from being melee as much as a ranged weapon attack does. Casting itself, however, does not, so casting a spell that forces a saving throw can actually find uses both in melee as well as from range.

The only reason I have them listed as Djinn descendants is because I couldn't think of a lightning-specific elemental. Well, with witch bolt and shatter, you don't have to be in melee. You can function as ranged.
Hmm, I suppose that's fine, then. Perhaps a storm genasi is that type of person who prefers to get up close and personal. Perhaps a storm genasi might be rather loud in nature, thunder echoing in their speech and a louder voice than usually, or something. This in mind, maybe resistance to thunder damage and thunderwave as a first level spell would work better. (and you could give lightning resistance to Air genasi!)

The fluff is directly from WotC. Acid resistance also comes from WotC, the only thing I changed here was the spell list.
Oh? Pardon me then, my memory must refer to an outdated data directory. I guess I'll have to restart the system with a nice hot cup of coffee. :P

And btw, you're welcome about compliments. I might even use these variants someday, instead of the ones from WotC.

DracoKnight
2016-01-13, 01:56 PM
Thought so (though I still would have them resist lightning).

I get where you're coming from, but I almost feel like that would step on the toes of the storm genasi.

I might have earth elemental heritage grant them either a resistance to acid, as natural acids rarely dissolve earthly materials. (in fact, acid is found underground) or limit the bludgeoning resistance only to sources that are non-magical.

...this was the intention...how did I not include that in my writeup? :smalltongue:

As a matter of fact, yes, I do think that would be better.

Okay, I will change it then.

Here's my suggestion for the spells:
Control Flames as a cantrip.
Burning Hands as a 1st-level spell.
Aganazzar's Scorcher as a 2nd-level spell.
All of these are useful in and out of melee. With Control Flames you can still do a number of useful things to help you in and out of combat. A ranged spell attack suffers from being melee as much as a ranged weapon attack does. Casting itself, however, does not, so casting a spell that forces a saving throw can actually find uses both in melee as well as from range.

Hmmmmm... I don't know. Burning hands is one of the spells they get in the official WotC release. What about green-flame blade, then searing smite, and pyrotechnics?

Hmm, I suppose that's fine, then. Perhaps a storm genasi is that type of person who prefers to get up close and personal. Perhaps a storm genasi might be rather loud in nature, thunder echoing in their speech and a louder voice than usually, or something. This in mind, maybe resistance to thunder damage and thunderwave as a first level spell would work better. (and you could give lightning resistance to Air genasi!)

I like this from a fluff perspective. I'll take it under consideration :smallbiggrin:

Oh? Pardon me then, my memory must refer to an outdated data directory. I guess I'll have to restart the system with a nice hot cup of coffee. :P

I can relate :smallsmile:

And btw, you're welcome about compliments. I might even use these variants someday, instead of the ones from WotC.

Well, my sincerest thank yous! Also, that's a mighty huge compliment.

Arkhios
2016-01-13, 04:24 PM
Hmmmmm... I don't know. Burning hands is one of the spells they get in the official WotC release. What about green-flame blade, then searing smite, and pyrotechnics?

In all honesty, fire genasi was one of the best laid-out genasi in my opinion, but I can understand your reasoning to revert their ranged-inclination to more furious close range combatant despite their many possible options due stats alone. Pyrotechnics is a good option for 2nd-level spell as well, though, giving them some utility too while their cantrip and 1/long rest spell are about damage. It's also true that those two have a nice synergy.
The more I think about it, the more I begin to agree with this suggestion of their spells.

DracoKnight
2016-01-13, 06:36 PM
In all honesty, fire genasi was one of the best laid-out genasi in my opinion, but I can understand your reasoning to revert their ranged-inclination to more furious close range combatant despite their many possible options due stats alone. Pyrotechnics is a good option for 2nd-level spell as well, though, giving them some utility too while their cantrip and 1/long rest spell are about damage. It's also true that those two have a nice synergy.
The more I think about it, the more I begin to agree with this suggestion of their spells.

Pyrotechnics has a very interesting synergy with searing smite. You set the target on fire, and then blind them.

Sredni Vashtar
2016-01-13, 07:11 PM
I like it, and may steal it for my planetouched redo.

DracoKnight
2016-01-13, 07:31 PM
I like it, and may steal it for my planetouched redo.

Feel free. I'm going to turn this into a PDF once I have everything balanced and add in the fluff. :smallsmile:

Khrysaes
2016-01-16, 10:26 AM
Perhaps you could add a Shadow Genasi. The Khayal from 3.5 Tome Of Magic page 162 is a genie that resides on the Plane of Shadow.

In 3.5 there were 7 types of genies.

Djinn: Wind,
Efreeti: Fire,
Marid: Water,
Do: Earth
Khayal: Shadow
Janni: Everything, lived on the material plane.
Quorroshi: Ice, introduced in Frostburn. resides on elemental plane of air.

DracoKnight
2016-02-10, 06:42 AM
Perhaps you could add a Shadow Genasi. The Khayal from 3.5 Tome Of Magic page 162 is a genie that resides on the Plane of Shadow.

In 3.5 there were 7 types of genies.

Djinn: Wind,
Efreeti: Fire,
Marid: Water,
Do: Earth
Khayal: Shadow
Janni: Everything, lived on the material plane.
Quorroshi: Ice, introduced in Frostburn. resides on elemental plane of air.

I am currently working on balancing out a Shadowfell Genasi :smallbiggrin: