PDA

View Full Version : Polymorphed Barbarian

Arvin Natsuko
2016-01-13, 09:21 AM
Hello Guys,

Quick question: a raging barbarian who is polymorphed by his party caster is still under the effects of the rage?

Thanks,

Arvin

joaber
2016-01-13, 09:31 AM
no. Not even shapechange spell would work in that case.

ImSAMazing
2016-01-13, 09:40 AM
I don't see it under the Rage class feature, that it says your rage ends if you are targeted by a spell. You aren't concentrating on it and/or casting the spell, so I think you can keep on raging.

SharkForce
2016-01-13, 10:18 AM
I don't see it under the Rage class feature, that it says your rage ends if you are targeted by a spell. You aren't concentrating on it and/or casting the spell, so I think you can keep on raging.

you don't HAVE a rage class feature when you're polymorphed.

KorvinStarmast
2016-01-13, 10:23 AM
you don't HAVE a rage class feature when you're polymorphed.Unless you are polymorphed into a Barbarian. :smallbiggrin: (Actually, I need to check the language on that spell, particularly True Polymorph, as polymorphing into a "class" may not be part of what the spell does. )

EDIT:
Never mind, regular Polymorph turns you into a beast.

The new form can be any beast whose challenge rating is equal to or less than the target’s (or the target’s level, if it doesn’t have a challenge rating). The target’s game statistics, including mental ability scores, are replaced by the statistics of the chosen beast. It retains its alignment and personality. (From the SRD) I seem to recall that beasts don't have "class abilities" and even with True Polymorph, the closest "thing" is a "berserker" which has reckless attack, but not Rage.

Reckless. At the start of its turn, the berserker can gain advantage on all melee weapon attack rolls during that turn, but attack rolls against it have advantage until the start of its next turn.

Blacky the Blackball
2016-01-13, 10:43 AM
Quick question: a raging barbarian who is polymorphed by his party caster is still under the effects of the rage?

Well I'd be pretty angry if the party caster polymorphed me into something...

JumboWheat01
2016-01-13, 10:56 AM

I can see it now, after the polymorph has worn off, the Barbarian attempts the rare and highly dangerous wizard toss.

Maybe hope you get polymorphed into a honey badger then? I hear they're quite nasty and angry, like a natural barbarian rage.

Slipperychicken
2016-01-13, 11:05 AM
no. Not even shapechange spell would work in that case.

It says "You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them, provided that your new form is physically capable of doing so."

However, someone who casted Shapechange would not be able to concentrate on it while raging. If there were some way to make shapechange targeted, or not need to concentrate on it, then it could be compatible with barbarian rage.

Arvin Natsuko
2016-01-13, 11:26 AM
you don't HAVE a rage class feature when you're polymorphed.

Yes, but you are not starting a rage. The questin is if the transformation ends it.

For example, a wizard polymorphed can't cast spells, but can concentrate in ongoing ones, like the polymorph...

Arvin Natsuko
2016-01-13, 11:27 AM

I think you are joking but in the concrete case the barbarian is willing to be polymorphed in a gentile giant ape king kong style...

Arvin Natsuko
2016-01-13, 11:29 AM

That's also my opinion.

SharkForce
2016-01-13, 11:45 AM
you are not a barbarian any more. you don't have rage. since you no longer have the class feature, you no longer gain any of the benefits, because benefitting from being in a rage is a class feature. the advantage on strength checks and saving throws, the bonus damage, the resistance to damage, and for that matter the inability to concentrate on things, are all part of a class feature that you no longer have.

joaber
2016-01-13, 12:00 PM
It says "You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them, provided that your new form is physically capable of doing so."

However, someone who casted Shapechange would not be able to concentrate on it while raging. If there were some way to make shapechange targeted, or not need to concentrate on it, then it could be compatible with barbarian rage.

Yep, I know. If shapechange could be used in other person, than the barb could keep raging. But RAW, you only can use shapechange in yourself and can't cast or concentrate while raging.

HoarsHalberd
2016-01-13, 01:17 PM
I think you are joking but in the concrete case the barbarian is willing to be polymorphed in a gentile giant ape king kong style...

I fail to see what the Giant Ape's views on Judaism have to do with it. On topic I'd say they keep the passive stuff, but any active stuff they can't use. (Level 14 Wolf totem for example.)

hymer
2016-01-13, 01:20 PM
Yes, but you are not starting a rage. The questin is if the transformation ends it.

For example, a wizard polymorphed can't cast spells, but can concentrate in ongoing ones, like the polymorph...

Concentration isn't a class feature, and therefore isn't lost to Polymorph. Rage, on the other hand...

Arvin Natsuko
2016-01-13, 07:15 PM
Concentration isn't a class feature, and therefore isn't lost to Polymorph. Rage, on the other hand...

Ability to rage is a feature. Raging is a condition.

Arvin Natsuko
2016-01-13, 07:16 PM
I fail to see what the Giant Ape's views on Judaism have to do with it. On topic I'd say they keep the passive stuff, but any active stuff they can't use. (Level 14 Wolf totem for example.)

Judaism???

HoarsHalberd
2016-01-13, 07:35 PM
Judaism???

I was making a joke about your typo. Gentle means the opposite of brutal. Gentile is a non-Jew.

Arvin Natsuko
2016-01-13, 08:44 PM
I was making a joke about your typo. Gentle means the opposite of brutal. Gentile is a non-Jew.

Lol. Brazilian. I didn't get it.

RickAllison
2016-01-13, 09:50 PM
My instinct when I polymorph a party member is to make them a T-rex. This might end badly for me if it's a barbarian...

http://download.gamezone.com/uploads/image/data/1183749/jurassic_park_gif.gif

SharkForce
2016-01-13, 09:57 PM
Ability to rage is a feature. Raging is a condition.

all the stuff that happens when the barbarian rages are class features. raging is not a condition. it's just what happens when the barbarian uses the rage class feature. nobody else can gain that condition. nothing else causes that condition. if i use a spell that makes you angry, you don't get the "raging" condition which grants you damage resistance, advantage on strength checks and saves, etc. you just get angry (and maybe other things happen also if the spell says so).

when you are polymorphed into a bear, you are just a bear. not a bear with barbarian class levels. just a bear. you can do the things that bears do, and getting so angry that you take less damage is not one of those things.

if you want to be a raging bear, you need to take class levels in druid (circle of the moon is definitely the recommended archetype) or somehow get the shapechange spell cast on you while being a barbarian.

RulesJD
2016-01-13, 11:13 PM
all the stuff that happens when the barbarian rages are class features. raging is not a condition. it's just what happens when the barbarian uses the rage class feature. nobody else can gain that condition. nothing else causes that condition. if i use a spell that makes you angry, you don't get the "raging" condition which grants you damage resistance, advantage on strength checks and saves, etc. you just get angry (and maybe other things happen also if the spell says so).

when you are polymorphed into a bear, you are just a bear. not a bear with barbarian class levels. just a bear. you can do the things that bears do, and getting so angry that you take less damage is not one of those things.

if you want to be a raging bear, you need to take class levels in druid (circle of the moon is definitely the recommended archetype) or somehow get the shapechange spell cast on you while being a barbarian.

So that means you lose all your Feats. Because ASI/Feats are class features.

SharkForce
2016-01-13, 11:34 PM

this is news to you?

you're a bear. not a level 10 barbarian, or a 4 barbarian/3 fighter, or whatever else. you don't have the stat gains you got from being higher level, because you're not a higher level. you're a bear. likewise, you don't gain the feats that represent your learning new abilities, because you're not the person that learned those abilities. you're a bear. i don't know how else to explain it to you.

you have the physical attributes of a bear. you have the mental attributes of a bear. you have the abilities of a bear. the only thing you keep from your former self is your personality, as it is viewed through the lens of your new self.

rhouck
2016-01-14, 04:47 PM

That's the biggest weakness of casting Polymorph on yourself, since you can't take advantage of Resilient: Con and/or War Caster. So while it's awesome to get 157 temp hp when Polymorphing yourself into a Giant Ape, you're likely going to lose Concentration long before you run through those temp hp since you have a minimum 25% chance of losing it, rolled every time you get hit.

RulesJD
2016-01-14, 04:53 PM
That's the biggest weakness of casting Polymorph on yourself, since you can't take advantage of Resilient: Con and/or War Caster. So while it's awesome to get 157 temp hp when Polymorphing yourself into a Giant Ape, you're likely going to lose Concentration long before you run through those temp hp since you have a minimum 25% chance of losing it, rolled every time you get hit.

You lose all your proficiency, including regular saving throws etc.

This is why BearBarians are much better. Can rage and then shapechange as a druid.

rhouck
2016-01-14, 05:01 PM
You lose all your proficiency, including regular saving throws etc.

This is why BearBarians are much better. Can rage and then shapechange as a druid.

Correct. Proficiencies, feats, class abilities, etc. -- all of it. You just have what is on the statblock of the beast you have been polymorphed into.