PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next HELP from the Brewers! 5E class help!

SMac8988
2016-01-16, 01:38 PM
So I have a player who is interested in a Martial Arts style class, that doesn't use the Ki system, and would be more Str and Con driven than the Monk.

My idea for the class would be to almost merge the Barbarian and the Monk, into a brawler/marital artist class. I was thinking of maybe making it a up front fighter, who took the Barbarian unarmored defense, and maybe use the damage to the marital arts feat. Maybe even have the damage from the second attack not include Str mod until higher level or something

My biggest idea I wanted would be to do would be to make a bunch of differing style, kinda like 3.5, but have them be something the player has to seek out in the world. Maybe even under power the class at first but have it scale up?

Idk I am looking for guidance and help from the community.....

HELP!

Prince Zahn
2016-01-17, 06:37 AM
What does your friend think about Combat Superiority? could you try replacing the Monk's Ki system with it, perhaps?

That being said, even if it doesn't fit your player should still want his fists to be magical at some point, it's either that, or you find him magic Gauntlets or brass knuckles or whatever is right for him, because lots of enemies are immune to nonmagical weapons.

I wouldn't recommend purposefully nerfing anyone. No class should feel underpowered, not even in the beginning.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-01-17, 06:44 AM
I've had a quick flick through the compendium (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?396519-D-amp-D-5e-Homebrew-Compendium) and I can't find anything that does what you're looking for. Which is weird, because it's not a particularly obscure request. Your player is basically looking to be Bruce Lee, right? There really should be a monastic tradition for that.

Edge
2016-01-17, 06:55 AM
Off the top of my head, I can think of Submortimer's barbarian Path of the Brawler (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?471350-Barbarian-Primal-Path-Path-of-the-Brawler) and Pugilist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?471339-Fighter-Martial-Archetype-The-Pugilist) fighter martial archetype. My own Audacious Contender (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?473747-Audacious-Contender-Martial-Archetype-(PEACH)) martial archetype also features some unarmed combat abilities, but it's not the main focus of the archetype, and it comes with being a showy git, so it's probably not quite what you're looking for.

SMac8988
2016-01-17, 04:39 PM
So my idea for the class would be it starts as a streets fighter. Like that would be the class., giving minimal increases to unarmed combat, maybe unarmed defense.

Then he will get 3 sub Classes.

The brawler- for going classical training and focusing in the pure power, all, about destroying the for by overwhelming force.

The showman - more about the spectical of drawing in a crowd and entertainment. Like a luchador or professional wrestler. Give them maybe like aura buffs fir the group or buffs for people watching.

Lastly the martial artist - about classical training and learning new styles to counter any situation. Honing the body into a fine tool. If the brawler is a hammer, the artist is a scapel.

That was my federal idea.,I had done feat ideas for the brawler, but could difinately use help..

Ps written on phone, sorry for terrible grammer and all....

SMac8988
2016-01-17, 05:02 PM
Feat ideas would be like.

Haymaker - The brawler can concentrate all his attacks for a round into one heavy swing. If successful add all damage dice for all attacks, with one the str modifier once. target is pushing back 5ft for every 10 damage. If target wood to hit a wall or cliff edge maybe a dex saving throw or take an additional 1d6.

Upper cut - throwing a large upward swing, attack v dex save. Does 1d6 additional damage and knocks the target prone. Size dependent.

ground and pound - if target is prone, and after a successful grapple attempt you may make 2 additional unarmed attacks.

Just ideas I was thinking, also maybe give the set for brawler a couple additional attacks through levels.... Idk

Flashy
2016-01-17, 05:30 PM
I know this is a request in the homebrew forum, but Barbarian with the Tavern Brawler feat seems like a pre-canned answer that could basically give your player what they want. It's not generally considered the most powerful feat, but if you let the damage die scale up at the cantrip levels (d4 1-4, d6 5-10, d8 11-16, d10 17-20) it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Not the most optimal damage dealer but certainly functional.

Prince Zahn is right though, they will eventually need a way to overcome damage resistance/immunity.

SMac8988
2016-01-17, 07:29 PM
And I know tavern brawler would work as a barb, but I would rather build him what he wants, and have it be fun and different than to have him have to play an under powered class and lose a feat because of it. I try to be an overly flexible DM, and give my players what they want. I feel that is my job!

He suggested maybe at a certain level it becomes force damage, or even "Iron" fist like.

The other idea he had was to have as the level increases maybe increase the size of the Mob upper-cut and ground and pound works on? Almost aim towards Ryu and Ken from street fighter?

Submortimer
2016-01-18, 10:55 AM
Off the top of my head, I can think of Submortimer's barbarian Path of the Brawler (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?471350-Barbarian-Primal-Path-Path-of-the-Brawler) and Pugilist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?471339-Fighter-Martial-Archetype-The-Pugilist) fighter martial archetype.

Woot for promotion! Thanks! The pdf for the Pgilist can be found Here (http://middlefingerofvecna.blogspot.com/2015/12/pugilist.html?m=1).

SMac8988
2016-01-18, 06:14 PM
Couldn't like different types of brass knuckles work? I mean how does a fighter and barbarian over come those things?

Submortimer
2016-01-19, 12:50 PM
Couldn't like different types of brass knuckles work? I mean how does a fighter and barbarian over come those things?

I don't understand what you mean. If it's in reference to the "fist weapons" from my subclass, then sure, replace those weapons with whatever type of brass knuckles you want.

As far as "overcoming", I'm assuming you're talking about resistances. Of those, there are only two which relate to weapon quality, that being Silvered or Magic weapons, and in most cases Magic weapons will be enough. For the Monk, this isn't an issue, as his fists become magical anyways; for the Pugilist and the Brawler, it is an issue, so they'll need a magic cestus or brass knuckles to overcome that resistance.

SMac8988
2016-01-19, 07:29 PM
I don't understand what you mean. If it's in reference to the "fist weapons" from my subclass, then sure, replace those weapons with whatever type of brass knuckles you want.

As far as "overcoming", I'm assuming you're talking about resistances. Of those, there are only two which relate to weapon quality, that being Silvered or Magic weapons, and in most cases Magic weapons will be enough. For the Monk, this isn't an issue, as his fists become magical anyways; for the Pugilist and the Brawler, it is an issue, so they'll need a magic cestus or brass knuckles to overcome that resistance.

But that would be a solution to the problem? Just as a DM place either a way for him to enchant his weapon, or place them somewhere in a game he can find? I am trying to write out my own character class at this time for him, and plan on posting it around to get feed back shortly. We start this weekend, SO i am atleast trying to get level 1-3 done of the base class.

Pantomath
2016-01-19, 07:32 PM
What does your friend think about Combat Superiority? could you try replacing the Monk's Ki system with it, perhaps?

That being said, even if it doesn't fit your player should still want his fists to be magical at some point, it's either that, or you find him magic Gauntlets or brass knuckles or whatever is right for him, because lots of enemies are immune to nonmagical weapons.

I wouldn't recommend purposefully nerfing anyone. No class should feel underpowered, not even in the beginning.

I would recomand using enchanted hand wraps for enchanting fists.

SMac8988
2016-01-19, 07:44 PM
I would recomand using enchanted hand wraps for enchanting fists.

That is an AMAZING idea, or maybe even the sparing gloved like Ryu from street Fighter. That is so much cooler than just brass knuckles.

Does anyone have any feat ideas to help me out?