PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class The Stuffshaper (Class in 30 minutes, PEACH)

Jormengand
2016-01-18, 05:24 PM
This is my challenge to make, format, and fully describe a functional new homebrew class in 30 minutes. Here's how I did:

The Stuffshaper
LevelBABFortRefWillSpecial
Maximum Stuff Cubes
Stuff HP/Cube
Stuff Hardness
1st+0+0+0+2Stuffshaping
2nd+1+0+0+3
3rd+1+1+1+3(Animate Objects)
4th+2+1+1+4
5th+2+1+1+4(Flight)
6th+3+2+2+5
7th+3+2+2+5
8th+4+2+2+6
9th+4+3+3+6
10th+5+3+3+7(Spell Resistance)
11th+5+3+3+7
12th+6/+1+4+4+8
13th+6/+1+4+4+8
14th+7/+2+4+4+9
15th+7/+2+5+5+9(Immediate-action Command)
16th+8/+3+5+5+10
17th+8/+3+5+5+10
18th+9/+4+6+6+11
19th+9/+4+6+6+11
20th+10/+5+6+6+12(Extraordinary Stuff)

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d6

Class Skills:
The class skills of the stuffshaper (And the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Craft (Int), Forgery (Int), Knowledge (All skills taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), Tumble (Dex) and Use Magic Device (Cha)
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Stuffshaping (Su)

Stuffshapers draw forth the raw stuff of creation, appropriately granted the mildly uninspiring name of "Stuff." Stuff is malleable into many forms, but has severe limitations. For a start, the number of 10-foot cubes of stuff that a stuffshaper can call forth each day is limited by the value given on Table: The Stuffshaper (which also shows the maximum hit points and hardness of these 10-foot cubes of stuff), although a cube that is essentially intact can be destroyed as a free action to replenish this reserve. Second, stuff can only be moved telekinetically at a speed of 5 feet per stuffshaper level per round, and although doing so is a free action only one distinct command can be made per level (you can cause multiple cubes to move as one command, but if so they all go in the same direction at the same speed). Third, stuff cannot be summoned or moved outside of long range (400 feet+40 feet/level) of the stuffshaper and is destroyed if it ends up there.

Apart from these limitations, however, stuff is malleable. It can be used to form any kind of mundane items or objects that fit in the area, and while craft checks are required to make complex items, the stuffshaper can just try again next round. Stuff can be made edible, potable, or even flammable. More complex chemical reactions are generally beyond the ken of a stuffshaper. The qualities of stuff can be changed as a standard action each round.

Stuff can also be turned into energy, which deals 1d6 points of damage per two stuffshaper levels (minimum 1d6) to each creature in the area (reflex half, DC 10+half the stuffshaper's level+the stuffshaper's intelligence modifier). Cold stuff requires a fortitude save, not a reflex save. Sonic stuff's damage is halved, but it ignores object hardness.

Further, stuff can be used to patch wounds or damage. Each round, a creature (even a construct or undead) or object touched by this type of recuperative stuff leeches off 1d6 of the stuff's hit points per round, to a maximum of the creature's maximum health and the stuff's minimum (of zero). As this stuff isn't solid, it can move into creatures' or objects' spaces and even overlap meaningfully. The majority of new limbs made by stuff is actually made of stuff, and thus disintegrates at the end of the day; it takes about 1 month of daily healing to regrow a limb just using stuff; a few days will regrow a finger.

If you try to use solid stuff to bull rush, slam or overrun an enemy, use your intelligence modifier as your strength modifier and your stuffshaper level as your base attack bonus and the slam deals 2d6 points of damage if it hits. While you can telekinetically control stuff, you cannot do so accurately enough to make weapons of stuff hit their targets in any meaningful fashion.

Stuff disintegrates into nothingness when you replenish your uses of stuff by taking an 8-hour rest of whatever kind would be required before preparing wizard spells for a member of your race. However, it remains active while you sleep, possibly allowing you to create a miniature fortress to defend you until you wake.

Stuff gains additional powers later in a stuffshaper's career. For a start, a stuffshaper can make animated objects out of the relevant amount of stuff starting from 3rd level, limited to double the stuffshaper's class level in hit dice per day. Stuff can fly (albeit not very fast) starting from Stuffshaper level 5. Further, at 10th level it gains spell resistance equal to the stuffshaper's level plus the stuffshaper's intelligence modifier. At 15th level a single command can be made as an immediate action. At 20th level stuff is considered extraordinary, not supernatural.

I feel as though I've run out of stuff to say but there's a lot missing. Oh well, such is the consequence of such a nebulous class. Thoughts?

nikkoli
2016-01-18, 06:09 PM
There's all kinds of stuff stuff can do. This is fantastic.
So if stuff is a 10 ft cube can you make it smaller to get more stuff cubes per day or can you make smaller cubes just to be able to use stuff somewhere smaller than outside?

Ancalidormis
2016-01-18, 06:18 PM
i could see an archetype or variant that has an ooze companion.

EDIT: you could also do alternative healing and repairing with the stuff. Im almost imagining healing salve/puddy.

Jormengand
2016-01-18, 06:29 PM
There's all kinds of stuff stuff can do. This is fantastic.
So if stuff is a 10 ft cube can you make it smaller to get more stuff cubes per day or can you make smaller cubes just to be able to use stuff somewhere smaller than outside?

You can shape the stuff to be any shape, so you could put a few dozen greatswords in each 5 ft cube and then allow creatures to pick them up (or just have a floating mass of greatswords wobbling ominously towards the enemy).

i could see an archetype or variant that has an ooze companion.

EDIT: you could also do alternative healing and repairing with the stuff. Im almost imagining healing salve/puddy.

See, I was thinking of stuff as being more construct (extraplanar) than ooze. I'm tempted to allow you to leech off the stuff's hit points to heal creatures or repair objects, although I'm wary of letting you do it quickly. I'll add something in.

Ancalidormis
2016-01-18, 06:34 PM
See, I was thinking of stuff as being more construct (extraplanar) than ooze. I'm tempted to allow you to leech off the stuff's hit points to heal creatures or repair objects, although I'm wary of letting you do it quickly. I'll add something in.

I realize that now. I was trying to think outside the box.

You could also look into Astral Constructs, which might work better than oozes.

Jormengand
2016-01-18, 06:36 PM
I realize that now. I was trying to think outside the box.

You could also look into Astral Constructs, which might work better than oozes.

Astral Constructs were immediately my thought, too. I'm just wary of letting you turn stuff into creatures and a simple "Here, have an astral construct" feels a bit naff to me.

noob
2016-01-20, 05:52 AM
Why not make that when you turn stuff into creature you apply the animated object rules based on the material shape and properties and size(all those rules like wheels who increase speed or the possibility to have different kind of damages and so on) + maybe the possibility to give some astral construct power.
Animated objects are quite underused as class features or class focus by opposition to astral construct who have a prc only for that.
Something sad about this stuff shaper is the cruel lack of fluff covering the stuff and the shaper.

Jormengand
2016-01-20, 10:37 AM
Why not make that when you turn stuff into creature you apply the animated object rules based on the material shape and properties and size(all those rules like wheels who increase speed or the possibility to have different kind of damages and so on) + maybe the possibility to give some astral construct power.
Animated objects are quite underused as class features or class focus by opposition to astral construct who have a prc only for that.

Added an animated object power.

Something sad about this stuff shaper is the cruel lack of fluff covering the stuff and the shaper.

Perhaps, though 30 minutes didn't leave me a lot of time for fluff. All of the 30 minute classes I'm going to be making will be limited in fluff by necessity, but that doesn't stop them (I hope) from being worth playing. Maybe Stuff is important in some setting or other (after all, it can be made into almost anything, so maybe the original gods made the world our of Stuff?).

noob
2016-01-20, 03:03 PM
I like this class.
You are doing a great work in 30 minutes.
I forgot to tell this in the first post I made in this thread.
I am impatient to see your next 30 minutes class if you restart doing that.

Jormengand
2016-01-20, 03:09 PM
I like this class.
You are doing a great work in 30 minutes.
I forgot to tell this in the first post I made in this thread.
I am impatient to see your next 30 minutes class if you restart doing that.

You've seen the Avatar and the Traveller? I'll probably make another one now too.