PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Sorcerous Origin - Vrael Oro (Yuan-ti)

M Placeholder
2016-01-21, 10:24 AM
Vrael Oro Sorcerous Origin

The favoured ones, the Vrael Oro. In the depths of the serpent kingdoms on the world of Toril, from Kara-Tur in the east to the hot and steamy jungles of Chult in the west, the scaled ones work their machinations, to either regain what they have lost, or to continue to pull the strings of the scaleless and rule from the shadows. For this, there is a need for intemediataries, and while generally the purebloods of the yuan-ti pull the strings, sometimes the blood of humanoids gets tainted. Bloodlines that carry the taint of the scaled ones can erupt, and sometimes the gift of magic from a scaled one manifests.

As you progress down the path of the arcane, your bloodline may manifest in more ways than just magical power. Your voice may become more raspy and sound more reptillian, you may grow a set of extra transparent eyelids, and you may be able to taste the air with your newly forked tongue.

Creating a Vrael Oro Sorcerer

When you create a sorcerer that has this bloodline, consider in what sort of environment you were born into. Could you openly display your gift of the magic that was engendered by the scaled ones many ages past, as in the free city of Hlondeth? Or were you born into a world in which the populace fear the scaled ones, and in which displaying your gift will put you in extreme danger, such as the veiled land of Samarach?

Also consider how your bloodline came about. Was it due to an ancestor becoming tied up in the machinations of the vrael oro? Did one of your forebears, either consciously or (more probably) unknowingly bolster the aims of a yuan-ti house? And how will you use your gift? Will you use your gift to protect the ones that the scaled folk manipulate, attempting to cut the strings that the Scaleless Ones dance on? Or will you work to further the aims of the scaled ones?

Scaled Affinity

When this bloodline rises to the fore at 1st level, you gain the ability to speak the language of the vrael oro. You can speak and read Draconic and Yuan-Ti. You are also considered proficient in Animal Handling regarding checks involving snakes, and can communicate simple ideas to them.

Serpentine Sanguinity

At 1st level, you have resistance to poison damage, and advantage on saving throws against poison. At 14th level, this becomes immunity to poison damage and being poisoned.

Favoured One Arcana

At 3rd level, you gain the spell Suggestion, and at 5th, the spell Fear. These spells do not count against your known Sorcerer spells.

Serpent Form

At 6th level, you gain the ability to shift into either a giant poisonous snake (MM, p327) or a poisonous snake (MM, page 334). You can stay in this form for a number of hours equal to half your sorcerer level rounded down, and you then revert to your normal form. You can revert to your normal form earlier by using a bonus action on your turn, and you can change into serpent form. You need to finish a long rest before using this feature again. You cannot cast any spells, with the exception of Suggestion and Fear. These spells can be cast by expending 5 sorcery points. The rules for your snake form are the same as those for Druid Wildshape otherwise (PHB, p67).

Conjure Serpent Swarm

At 18th level, you can conjure 4 swarms of poisonous snakes (MM, page 338). For 1 minute or until you lose concentration, you can control these swarms and they obey your commands. The serpents vanish if you lose concentration or at the end of the spells duration, and you regain the use of this feature after you finish a long rest.

Favoured Features

As you progress along this path, you may gain features like one of the vrael oro. As an option, roll on the table below to determine features gained every 3rd level starting from 3 you gain in this class.

Patches of scales on the body

Forked tongue

Clear second eyelid

Rasping voice

Tough scales for finger and toe nails

Eyes with vertical pupils, like that of a viper

M Placeholder
2016-01-21, 10:28 AM
Howdy, this is my attempt at a yuan-ti inspired sorcerous origin. It was inspired by the lore from the Forgotten Realms, but can be used in most settings.

Not sure about the balance of the 6th and the 18th level features, and not sure if there is any space left for spell and charm resistance/immunity.

Please critique on the balance.

RakiReborn
2016-01-21, 02:18 PM
The levels for sub-class features for the sorcerer are 1, 6, 14 and 18, so it kind-of looks strange to start giving things at level 3.
Overall, the fluff is well made. The first level features are balanced in my view. Becomes quite strong at 14th, but the monk gains somewhat the same at level10, so i believe that it's fine.
The 6th level feature is nice, but you can use it a bit often. with 16 con three times, and half your level in hours. Thats a whole day at level 16 this way xD maybe make it once per long rest, and i think it would be fine.
The 18th level feature is strong. It is stronger than a conjure animals cast through a lvl9 slot (which gives 4 cr2 beasts, the same CR as the snakies). Maybe make it three or four, and it would be fine i guess, but i'm not sure. Hard to judge.
Lastly the spells that you can do as a BA on your turn at lvl14th. That is some mighty crowd control you can do without needing your sorcery points. Combined with the immunities from the 1st level feature that you get here, it is way too much i believe...
Hope this helps a little. All in all well done, but needs some tweeking in my eyes ;)

M Placeholder
2016-01-21, 03:29 PM
Hope this helps a little. All in all well done, but needs some tweeking in my eyes ;)

It did, thanks. I changed the features (6th level and 18th level are now once per long rest), and made it so you just have the signature spells of the vrael oro.

Is there enough space in the build to squeeze in advantage on saving throw against being charmed, and/or advantage on Wisdom/Charisma/Intelligence saving throws against magic?

RakiReborn
2016-01-21, 04:24 PM
Is there enough space in the build to squeeze in advantage on saving throw against being charmed, and/or advantage on Wisdom/Charisma/Intelligence saving throws against magic?

Not sure, maybe at 6th, but it might be too much for one level. Maybe someone else can give some advice.

M Placeholder
2016-01-23, 05:14 AM
Not sure, maybe at 6th, but it might be too much for one level. Maybe someone else can give some advice.

Hopefully so. Added a table you can roll on for features for even more scaled fun, and changed the origin name to yuan-ti - the scaled ones, I can get another origin from with quite different features.