PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other [PEACH] I might need that. luck feat.

ace rooster
2016-01-21, 02:06 PM
"Why on earth would you have potions of hide from undead? we were chasing a druid!"
"Well I saw them and thought they might be useful."

Checkov's gun is the principle that it is bad storytelling to include items that are never used. This is part of the reason I dislike seeing characters with pages of items that they have 'just in case'. This feat is intended to avoid that.

I might need that.

prerequisites: any two luck feats

When the character can buy equipment the character can put gold into a 'I might need that' pool, that represents the character being exceptionally lucky in their random buys. At any point after the character can spend twice the value of an item from their pool, to represent that they had it on them this whole time. This costs a use of a luck feat, but can buy up to the party number copies of any item as one use. Because the item has been on them this whole time, the party needs to have been able to transport it to be a valid target, but size is not inherently limited.

For example; when the party discovers A large supply of giant's mead, the party rogue can be very glad he brought those wagons that they left outside the dungeon :smallbiggrin:.

Thoughts?

Debihuman
2016-01-23, 07:01 PM
The problem is carrying capacity. I'd say the party only has what it has brought with them. This breaks the rules a bit too much. Also, can this stuff be stolen by bandits if you're not watching it? That's a real problem with leaving your stuff elsewhere. Also why not just have the Medieval Bank hold your gold (they take interest instead of paying it most likely).

Debby

ace rooster
2016-01-24, 01:10 PM
The problem is carrying capacity. I'd say the party only has what it has brought with them. This breaks the rules a bit too much. Also, can this stuff be stolen by bandits if you're not watching it? That's a real problem with leaving your stuff elsewhere. Also why not just have the Medieval Bank hold your gold (they take interest instead of paying it most likely).

Debby

Carrying capacity can be a restriction for large items, but potions and scrolls don't even have a listed weight. Handy haversacks avoid most remaining issues. If you have been robbed by bandits then you would not be able to get items that would have been taken by the bandits, but it would not be 'good luck' to have randomly bought something that then gets stolen before it would be useful, so you never actually bought it. :smallbiggrin:

The whole point is that you had it on you the whole time. The character seems like they have supernatural foresight, without the player having to actually have it.

The alternative is for the DM to tell you what specific items would be really useful for the coming adventure, but I feel that would make the game less fun and far too DM dependant.

Tiktakkat
2016-01-24, 02:29 PM
Back in the RPGA Living Campaigns, they released three Campaign Rewards Cards: "I Have That!", "I've Got Just The Potion . . .", and "Right Scroll For The Job".
The first allowed up to gain any item from Table 7-8 in the PHB costing 50 gp or less and weighing 8 lbs. or less.
The second required the first and allowed you to gain any DMG potion up to 250 gp.
The third allowed you to convert any scroll you had to another spell in your book.
In the Eberron Living Campaigns these cards were rated as the equivalent of action points.

Depending on your campaign, maybe lower or eliminate the prereqs but also tone down just how much can be gained.