PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next "Path of the Psycho", a Barbarian subclass

Atomos
2016-01-21, 05:10 PM
Hello,
So this is my first homebrew. I really love the Borderlands series and one of my favorite vault hunters is Krieg the Psycho. At first, this was my attempt in trying to copy him and his flavor over to D&D, but soon decided to try and make it for more general play. This is really just a rough concept and is probably really OP and doesn't have many non-combat uses. I'm open to suggestions to make this balanced since I don't really get to play at all and don't know how to perfectly balance the numbers, plus grammatical errors and all that. Thanks for reading.

Path of the Psycho
This path is rarely ever chosen or is it rarely ever experienced by the common adventurer. Some unfortunate souls have witnessed such horrors in the dawn of their adventures that they have already started to become unhinged. Whether it was the brutal loss of a loved one or a chest full of teeth and tentacles, reality for the barbarian, and possibly his surrounding friends, is becoming warped beyond repair.

SHUT UP, GET OUT!
The road to insanity is a subtle one. In the beginning there are only slight whispers of madness, erupting into a terrifying roar only when one is unaware of their presence. When this path is thrusted upon you at 3rd level, on a successful melee attack, roll a D8. On a roll of one, roll melee damage as normal and apply half of this damage rounded down to yourself (minimum one damage). On any other number, add 1D8 damage to your damage roll. This increases to 2D8 at level 6 and to 3D8 at level 14. You also have advantage against Intimidation and Fear checks, but disadvantage on Diplomacy and Perception checks.

SHIMMERING, SHINY, SINEWY SLAUGHTER!
Beginning at 6th level, your psychosis has become so powerful that while raging that you begin to warp reality in your immediate vicinity. If you start or end your turn within 5 feet of any creature or any creature starts or ends their turn within 5 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw (DC equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your constitution modifier) or take 1D4 psychic damage. On a successful save, this cannot effect the target for 24 hours.

THE BEST PART IS VISCERA IN YOUR CUP!
Starting at 10th level, any time a creature is reduced to zero hit points by you, the creature explodes in a gory and glorified mess, dealing damage to any other creature in a 10ft. radius with the excess damage. Being bathed in this viscera also heals you by the amount of excess damage dealt.

SPLATTER MONSTER, TOOT-TOOT!
At 14th level, your psychosis completely changes everyone's reality. When reduced to 50% or below your total health, you begin a messy and grotesque transformation. This can include, but is not limited to, elongated arms, random increases in muscle mass, splitting of skin, random deformities, your mouth turning into a maw of large, sharp teeth, etc. If this happen when not raging, you gain and instantly expend a rage charge to enter rage. After transformation, your size class increases by one and you gain 5+ your constitution modifier hit points per round until you reach 50% health. If you fall below 50% during this transformation, the hit point regeneration continues. During your transformation, you gain advantage on all attack rolls and saves. Also when you are targeted by a successful attack roll while raging, a screaming visage homes in on the attacker's location, dealing 1D10 psychic damage. The damage increases to 1D12 at level 17. This may only activate once per round. This effect persist for 10 rounds, in which afterwards you return to your normal shape.

JBPuffin
2016-01-23, 07:37 AM
Two major things - so other people know what they're reading, you'll need to mention somewhere that its' an archetype option for the barbarian. It wasn't terribly obvious at first. Beyond that, I don't know much of 5e balance, but this seems like an interesting bit of brew.

PoeticDwarf
2016-01-23, 08:56 AM
I think it is balanced, but think of some etter names and clarification (when is the 1d4 dmg of level 6 feature)

M Placeholder
2016-01-23, 09:22 AM
I love the names and suit the path perfectly, but the clarification could be made clearer.

Also, for level 10 and the name, I'm imagining the barbarian raging in a tavern and someones spleen landing in a mug of ale.

Atomos
2016-01-23, 12:22 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the feed back. I have edited the 6th level for clarity and am still working on trying to polish and balance. I tried to model the 14th level's healing ability around one of the fighters subclass abilities but I'm away from my book so I can't remember exactly which one.

Thanks

Sariel Vailo
2017-03-16, 03:19 PM
I use this as a orc tumeme