PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Avatar of Bahamut Statblock

DracoKnight
2016-01-21, 07:16 PM
Still working on the fluff with a couple of my other DM friends, but here's our representation of the Avatar of Bahamut (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PxY6hb_i_eIFYn1kIavc3rHIpTqUCgjpSlxz5pfQy-I/edit?usp=sharing) in 5e! :smallbiggrin:

And to poll the forum: we're pretty sure that he shouldn't get lair actions, but at the same time, if a party were to fight him on the Astral Plane, wouldn't he have them?

(the thing that prompted the creation of this statblock is the fact that for Tiamat, we have both a miniature and a statblock; but for Bahamut, we only have a miniature.)

M Placeholder
2016-01-21, 08:08 PM
Bahamut's home plane in the standard cosmology is Mount Celestia, his realm on the second layer (most of the time). As a god, he would have realm actions, and according to the Draconomicon of 3.5, he is accompanied by 7 great gold dragons, so you would have to get past them first.

And not sure why he would be on the Astral Plane. Thats where he goes after you kill him :smallwink:

DracoKnight
2016-01-21, 08:47 PM
Bahamut's home plane in the standard cosmology is Mount Celestia, his realm on the second layer (most of the time). As a god, he would have realm actions, and according to the Draconomicon of 3.5, he is accompanied by 7 great gold dragons, so you would have to get past them first.

Thank you! I knew about the 7 gold dragons, but I didn't know about Mount Celestia.

And not sure why he would be on the Astral Plane. Thats where he goes after you kill him :smallwink:

Gotcha. The fluff from 3.5 (I think) said he was in the Astral Plane.

McNinja
2016-01-21, 09:24 PM
For a greater deity, he seems a little weak. AC is a few points too low and I would imagine a deity to have some powerful spells, especially (in a dragon's case) meteor swarm.

He just seems a little too easily killable.

Gastronomie
2016-01-22, 12:45 AM
An avatar of Tiamat was CR 30, right? So it'd be weird if the real Bahamut was also CR 30. I don't think they can be even called gods if a band of humans can actually hope to kill them without using uber-powerful plot devices.

PoeticDwarf
2016-01-22, 01:38 AM
I think Bahamut also has some spells or that sort of abilities like Tiamat (don't have stats of Bahamut in older editions). Now it is a very strong dragon with healing aura, give him something more so he has the power he deserves.

Still, this thing almost deserves CR 30, you did a very good job :D
This is an avatar right? Still too weak for Bahamut but above CR 30 can't be too.

DracoKnight
2016-01-22, 03:44 AM
I think Bahamut also has some spells or that sort of abilities like Tiamat (don't have stats of Bahamut in older editions). Now it is a very strong dragon with healing aura, give him something more so he has the power he deserves.

Still, this thing almost deserves CR 30, you did a very good job :D
This is an avatar right? Still too weak for Bahamut but above CR 30 can't be too.

I ran all the numbers when I made it, and I have it calculated at CR 30. He has more HP than Tiamat, more AC. The final PDF will also have the rules for his spellcasting.

This statblock is supposed to represent both the Avatar of Bahamut, and Bahamut himself. The version without spellcasting being the Avatar, and the spellcasting variant being Bahamut himself.

McNinja
2016-01-22, 11:27 AM
You should probably edit the op to make sure people know it's an avatar, not the actual god. Its perfect for an avatar, but too weak for a god.

PoeticDwarf
2016-01-23, 11:42 AM
I ran all the numbers when I made it, and I have it calculated at CR 30. He has more HP than Tiamat, more AC. The final PDF will also have the rules for his spellcasting.

This statblock is supposed to represent both the Avatar of Bahamut, and Bahamut himself. The version without spellcasting being the Avatar, and the spellcasting variant being Bahamut himself.

Are you sure? He isn't really flexible. Bahamut isn't just its avater with spells. It would get way more

DracoKnight
2016-02-10, 06:28 AM
Are you sure? He isn't really flexible. Bahamut isn't just its avater with spells. It would get way more

Fair point.