PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Forest Trickster, 5e homebrew arcane trickster variant

Drude
2016-01-22, 01:12 AM
I just wanted to get some feedback on a home-brew concept I had for a forest gnome character.

This is a rogue archetype based very closely on the arcane trickster with a custom spell list. Mainly I am looking for opinions about keeping it balanced.

My concern is with the greater variety of spells. Do you think Magic Ambush will be overpowered when combined with AOE debuffs like entangle?

Summon spells overpowered? You don't get them till pretty high levels...

Open to ideas, criticism and suggestions.

---------------------------------------------
Forest Trickster (rogue archetype) Usually Gnomes or Elves, Forest tricksters protect their forest homes using a combination of stealth, illusions, enchantments and other nature based magic to mislead or scare away anyone who roams to close to the forest they protect.

Spellcasting: Same as arcane trickster, but choose spells from Forest Trickster custom list below.

Level 3: Forest Helper --Add the Find Familiar Spell to your spell list. It does not count against spells known but must be cast as normal. When you cast Find Familiar, you can choose one of the normal forms for your familiar or one of the following special forms: pseudodragon, or sprite. Additionally, when you take the Attack action, you can forgo one of your own attacks to allow your familiar to make one attack of its own.

Level 9: Magical Ambush -- opponents have disadvantage on spell saves if you are hiding.

Level 13: One with the woods -- Your years of experience have made you an expert at moving through plants and overgrowth. Whenever you are in environment with plant growth, such as a forest, swamp, jungle or grassland, you gain the following benefits:
-You may attempt to hide when lightly obscured and you gain +1 to stealth checks.
-You treat difficult natural terrain as if normal terrain. (magic such as entangle or spike growth effect you normally)
-You can climb trees and vines at your normal movement speed.

Level 17: Nature's Rejuvenation -- You gather strength from the natural world all around you. On a short rest you recover 3 spell slots. One from 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level.

Spell List:

Cantrips:
Druidcraft
Prestidigitation
Friends
Dancing Lights
Magic Stone
Mage Hand
Mending
Mold Earth
Produce Flame
Ray of Frost
Thorn Whip
Vicious Mockery

Level 1:
Alarm
Animal Friendship
Charm Person
Disguise Self
Entangle
Faerie Fire
Find Familiar
Fog Cloud
Goodberry
Silent Image
Sleep
Speak with Animals
Tasha's Hideous Laughter
Unseen Servant

Level 2:
Animal Messenger
Blur
Gust of Wind
Hold Person
Invisibility
Misty Step
Pass Without Trace
Spike Growth
Spider Climb
Water Walk

Level 3:
Conjure Animals
Flame arrows
Haste
Hypnotic Pattern
Major Image
Meld Into Stone
Speak with Plants
Slow

Level 4:
Confusion
Conjure Woodland Beings
Grasping Vine
Greater Invisibility
Hallucinatory Terrain

PoeticDwarf
2016-01-22, 01:42 AM
I think this is a cool little change. Nothing wrong with it except spell recovery could be more like arcane recovery, working that way and with a more fitting name. Also that feature should be on level 17 not 16. You could give the sprite or pseudodragon or level 3 (because it would be too weak) and something fitting on level 13

Drude
2016-01-22, 02:32 AM
I think this is a cool little change. Nothing wrong with it except spell recovery could be more like arcane recovery, working that way and with a more fitting name. Also that feature should be on level 17 not 16. You could give the sprite or pseudodragon or level 3 (because it would be too weak) and something fitting on level 13

Thanks for the feedback. Yep that should be a 17. Good catch. I will fix that.

The reason I did spell recovery that way was because it came into effect so late it would not have to scale with level like arcane recover has to. I agree it needs a better name though and some fluff.

I could move the Improved Familiar earlier, but I don't want to make it to good because I feel its already a little better than the standard trickster because of the spell options open to it. I think it should have equal or worse class features then the arcane trickster. I gotta think about it and see if I could find something to fill the void at 13 without being OP.

PoeticDwarf
2016-01-22, 03:53 PM
You could put something very little on level 13, for example advantage stealth checks made in forest (just saying something)

Drude
2016-01-22, 04:32 PM
You could put something very little on level 13, for example advantage stealth checks made in forest (just saying something)

I took your suggestions and edited my first post. What do u think?