PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Conjurer Option

Amaranthine
2016-01-23, 04:41 PM
An alternate option for the Conjuration school.

AUGMENTED CONJURATION
Starting at 2nd level when you select this school, and if you choose to not gain the MINOR CONJURATION ability, all Conjuration Cantrips, and all Conjuration Spells of 1st level are now considered to be on the wizard spell list when you select spells to add to your spellbook.
You also add an additional cantrip of the Conjuration school to your list of Cantrips Known.

Inevitability
2016-01-25, 09:13 AM
I checked some sources, and if I'm not mistaken this ACF adds the following spells to your wizard spell list:

-Produce Flame

-Arms of Hadar
-Create/Destroy Water
-Ensnaring Strike
-Entangle
-Hail of Thorns

To be honest, this feature exchanges a flavorful ability for the ability to cherry-pick several quite good spells, and I feel that most builds would be weaker if they didn't take it. The problem is that when you give players the choice between gaining mechanical strength and maintaining fluff, they'll pick the first.

Amaranthine
2016-01-25, 08:30 PM
You are right. Too much flexibility.

How about an option of adding a single 1st spell to your spellbook, OR adding a single cantrip to your cantrips known?

Inevitability
2016-01-26, 04:47 AM
You are right. Too much flexibility.

How about an option of adding a single 1st spell to your spellbook, OR adding a single cantrip to your cantrips known?

It doesn't address the basic issue: forcing players to trade fluff for crunch.

Amaranthine
2016-01-27, 11:22 PM
You are correct. I think I'll change my direction to creating an entirely new sub-class.

Flashy
2016-01-27, 11:29 PM
If you don't mind my asking, what is it about not being able to cast Produce Flame, Arms of Hadar, Ensnaring Strike, Entangle, and Hail of Thorns that bothers you enough that you feel the Wizard needs an entirely new subclass just to account for it? It's literally five spells, many of which don't seem to match the fluff of Wizard at all.

Amaranthine
2016-01-28, 02:53 PM
I'm a bit more interested in what the spells are (1st level conjuration battle-magic) rather than what they do specifically. Ensnaring Strike and Hail of Thorns were of particular interest, as they are a Bonus Action to cast (though a direct damage spell using a normal action, Arms of Hador​, would be a similar effect). A direct damage (or effect) spell that used a bonus action would be even more attractive, but likely too good.

Here is the rough concept of what I was looking for, thinking more along the lines of "that would be cool", rather than "that would be powerful".
It might be the later (or not), but I wanted to work out a way for the former to work.

Eladrin Homeguards: Elite fighter-mages, that focus on hit and run teleportation strikes.
Loosely inspired by either a Dragon article or website article from the beginning of 4e where someone built a character with as many teleportation powers as possible.

First, the Eladrin gets one Misty Step per short rest and the racial weapon proficiencies.
Second, a 6th level conjurer gives BENIGN TRANSPORTATION, which can be recharged by casting a conjuration spell, along with slots for more Misty Steps.
None of the existing 1st level Wizard conjuration spells really matched my concept so I looked on the other lists. The Ranger spells looked to be a good match.

A 6/2 Conjurer/Ranger would probably work for this concept (plus armor proficiency and fighting style), but I was seeing if there was a way to roll it into one class.

Inevitability
2016-01-29, 03:42 PM
If you don't mind my asking, what is it about not being able to cast Produce Flame, Arms of Hadar, Ensnaring Strike, Entangle, and Hail of Thorns that bothers you enough that you feel the Wizard needs an entirely new subclass just to account for it? It's literally five spells, many of which don't seem to match the fluff of Wizard at all.

Don't forget Create/Destroy water. :smallwink:

Flashy
2016-01-29, 04:00 PM
Don't forget Create/Destroy water. :smallwink:

Isn't that one transmutation?

Inevitability
2016-01-30, 03:19 PM
Isn't that one transmutation?

Nope, conjuration.

Flashy
2016-01-30, 05:46 PM
Nope, conjuration.

Was that errataed? My PHB definitely lists it as Transmutation. Create Food and Water is listed as Conjuration though, so it's not like it makes any sense.

Inevitability
2016-01-31, 03:24 AM
Was that errataed? My PHB definitely lists it as Transmutation. Create Food and Water is listed as Conjuration though, so it's not like it makes any sense.

Huh. Just looked and apparently it's transmutation. I was using this (http://salty-ridge-7989.herokuapp.com/) spell sorter, which lists it as conjuration.