PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Joining a D&D Group with strangers

8BitNinja
2016-01-25, 01:28 PM
Hello Guys and Girls

I am going to join a club where a bunch of guys are getting together to play D&D

The only problem is that I don't know any of them

I also don't know the campaign, the other characters classes, races, or alignments so I don't know how or even to help the group

I am also not sure if they would allow me to bring a character I rolled beforehand

I don't know what to do, please help this confused paladin that calls himself a ninja

Thrudd
2016-01-25, 01:35 PM
Ask them. That's all there is to it. The DM should tell you how character creation will work for their group and answer all the other question you have. Usually, I would expect character creation to be done with the group in front of the DM, especially if you don't know them beforehand, but some people are different.

Pont
2016-01-25, 01:40 PM
Don't worry. I have joined two groups of total strangers within the last year, and I still play with both monthly. I admit it was a bit weird to have a "blind date" with other roleplayers, but we tend to be nice people, so everything worked out fine :)

And if it not working for you, then bow out gracefully and you have lost nothing.

Remember the old saying: You mostly regret the things you didn't do.

Just my 2 cents.

8BitNinja
2016-01-25, 01:41 PM
Ask them. That's all there is to it. The DM should tell you how character creation will work for their group and answer all the other question you have. Usually, I would expect character creation to be done with the group in front of the DM, especially if you don't know them beforehand, but some people are different.

Thanks for the help, but I'm still going to have a hard time getting information from the players about their race, class, and most importantly, alignment

I think that one person said that they are normally CN, which hopefully not the whole group

I'm thinking of playing as a LG character

Thrudd
2016-01-25, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the help, but I'm still going to have a hard time getting information from the players about their race, class, and most importantly, alignment

I think that one person said that they are normally CN, which hopefully not the whole group

I'm thinking of playing as a LG character

Why would you have a hard time? Ask the DM what alignments would work and any other questions you have. Don't plan anything until you know what sort of game it is and what the DM's rules are. Usually all this stuff gets ironed out when you meet as a group and the DM tells you what they expect and can answer all your questions and you talk to the other players to coordinate what kind of characters you will have.

If you really can't wait, email or call the DM before hand to ask all these questions. Only the DM of this specific game can answer your questions.

GrayDeath
2016-01-25, 02:05 PM
Why would you have a hard time? Ask the DM what alignments would work and any other questions you have. Don't plan anything until you know what sort of game it is and what the DM's rules are. Usually all this stuff gets ironed out when you meet as a group and the DM tells you what they expect and can answer all your questions and you talk to the other players to coordinate what kind of characters you will have.

If you really can't wait, email or call the DM before hand to ask all these questions. Only the DM of this specific game can answer your questions.

QFU (quoted for usefulness).

If the DM does not tell you, dont join the group.

Its one of the surest signs that noone should play with them if they do not answer the "Newbies" questions.

Eidt: On a sidenote: You should not be attempting playing a LG Character without a GOOD grip on both the other Characters and players styles, Alignments, and the overall Playing Style. (The same goes for CN, and Evil Characetrs of course)
Just a well intentioned suggestion. :)

8BitNinja
2016-01-25, 02:29 PM
I guess I could talk to the person tomorrow, I don't have time right now, though

Thrudd
2016-01-25, 02:52 PM
I guess I could talk to the person tomorrow, I don't have time right now, though

This advice is only for your benefit. There's no need to report to the forum what you learn, we're not asking you to find out anything for our sake. Talk to them whenever you want.

You understandably have questions about the game you're joining. The answer to those questions lie with the people you will be gaming with. You generally aren't expected to know anything or do anything until you actually get there and sit down with them on the day. What race, class and alignment to pick don't even need to be considered until you talk to them. Don't bother even thinking about it until you know more.

Douche
2016-01-25, 03:03 PM
I've never played D&D before and only decided to start by finding groups on the internet (Meetup, its a pretty cool website).. meaning I only ever played with strangers.

It's not a big deal. I'd argue that it's better than meeting strangers at a bar or some other social gathering, cuz you're really not even yourself at a D&D game.. Your primary interaction with these people is through a character you're playing, with idle chit chat as a normal person in between.

In conclusion, there's nothing to worry about :smallsmile:

As for the actual mechanics, just see whats up when you get to the table.

Mr Beer
2016-01-25, 09:45 PM
Just talk to the GM FFS, I don't know how you imagine anyone here can provide more relevant information than the person running the game. Other than that, turn up, behave like a normal person and play the game. If they're douchebags, don't go back and if you have fun, great, you found a new group. My personal experience is about 3 / 5 were groups I liked and vice versa.

EDIT

You can't prepare anything without finding out what the situation is, so if you don't have time to talk to anyone beforehand, turn up and then ask.

goto124
2016-01-26, 02:01 AM
Make a few characters/templates to bring to the table, so that you have pre-made choices at the ready when you actually have your Session 0.

8BitNinja
2016-01-26, 01:30 PM
I talked to the DM, and all my questions were answered

So it looks like Steven Lightbringer, the Human Paladin will be joining forces with unknown people

I don't know how everyone is going to be, but there is a Lawful Good Fighter in the group, so I guess he won't mind another preachy LG prude in the group

I don't know why, but this is the only group I ran into that isn't trying to be "edgy". Most games involve characters doing something along the lines of demon worship and genocide (only in character of course) and that makes me really uncomfortable for some reason.

I know it's just a game, but it still doesn't feel right to me to perform human sacrifices and torture people to death, but at least now I have a group of some good-aligned buddies

Pyrous
2016-01-26, 02:04 PM
I don't know how everyone is going to be, but there is a Lawful Good Fighter in the group, so I guess he won't mind another preachy LG prude in the group

Remember to ask the other players if they don't mind it. And remember that even if the players don't mind a preachy Paladin, their characters may have a different opinion on the new preachy guy; if so, be sure you don't mind IC conflict as well.

8BitNinja
2016-01-26, 02:29 PM
Remember to ask the other players if they don't mind it. And remember that even if the players don't mind a preachy Paladin, their characters may have a different opinion on the new preachy guy; if so, be sure you don't mind IC conflict as well.

It was a hyperbole, my I'm going to have my character want people to do good by doing deeds, not just use words

Still going to try to be the guy who gets people to not murder innocent people

Mr Beer
2016-01-26, 05:34 PM
I don't know why, but this is the only group I ran into that isn't trying to be "edgy". Most games involve characters doing something along the lines of demon worship and genocide (only in character of course) and that makes me really uncomfortable for some reason.

I know it's just a game, but it still doesn't feel right to me to perform human sacrifices and torture people to death, but at least now I have a group of some good-aligned buddies

It's not unusual for a well-adjusted human being not to enjoy creating the imaginary exploits of a bunch of sadistic serial killers.

KorvinStarmast
2016-01-26, 05:41 PM
It's not unusual for a well-adjusted human being not to enjoy creating the imaginary exploits of a bunch of sadistic serial killers. But then there's D&D ... :smallbiggrin:

(Note that I completely agree with you).

8BitNinja
2016-01-27, 01:30 PM
I know what you guys are saying, but the RPG community in general just has people who find it fun to have imaginary adventures of killing children and burning down orphanages

It's just wrong, I don't know why, but in a game where I have choice, I usually can't bring myself to do what I wouldn't do in real life and not feel bad about it

Wow, this comment was kind of personal

Lord Torath
2016-01-27, 02:40 PM
I know what you guys are saying, but the RPG community in general just has people who find it fun to have imaginary adventures of killing children and burning down orphanages

It's just wrong, I don't know why, but in a game where I have choice, I usually can't bring myself to do what I wouldn't do in real life and not feel bad about it

Wow, this comment was kind of personalI know what you mean. All my characters tend to be the kind of person I like to think I am. I've never felt the slightest inclination to play an evil character (regardless of whether there's actually an alignment system in the game).

My first game with strangers went very well. I met the DM through a Meet-Up in our area, and had a one-on-one session with him. When I showed up to play, the rest of the group was very friendly, and while I'm not sure what their alignements were (apparently one typically played Chaotic Neutral), when we indirectly caused the death of 20 - 30 inhabitants of the temple/pyramid we were exploring (B4 - The Lost City), the group elected to use a god-stone (ring of regeneration) to bring them all back to life.

So let us know how your first session goes!

Arbane
2016-01-27, 02:54 PM

I think I found your problem.

YossarianLives
2016-01-27, 06:11 PM
I feel compelled to say something: just because somebody runs around killing everyone in D&D doesn't mean they are a bad person. Some of the nicest people I've ever met commit crimes in RPGs that make me feel somewhat ill. I agree with everyone here that playing evil characters isn't enjoyable, but don't please don't judge somebody based on their actions in a imaginary world where there are basically no consequences.

8BitNinja
2016-01-28, 01:23 PM
I feel compelled to say something: just because somebody runs around killing everyone in D&D doesn't mean they are a bad person. Some of the nicest people I've ever met commit crimes in RPGs that make me feel somewhat ill. I agree with everyone here that playing evil characters isn't enjoyable, but don't please don't judge somebody based on their actions in a imaginary world where there are basically no consequences.

I get that, and I'm not condemning anyone here, it's just my personal feelings