PDA

View Full Version : The Moon Beckons Thee [Creature, MITP] ((one more vote))

stolenchariot
2007-06-14, 10:28 PM
Maiden of the night

Medium Fey (Shapechanger)
Hit Dice: 12d6+24 (66 HP)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 30ft (6 squares) fly 50ft, perfect (see below)
Armor Class: 20( +6 dex, +4 deflection) flat footed 14 touch 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+9
Attack: moonbow( +15 1d8+3 +3d4+3 force damage , Moonfire (ranged touch +12) (3d6 untyped magical)
Full Attack: moonbow(+15/+10 1d8+3 +2d4+3)
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Attacks: moonfire, lunar cloak, nightwarden’s charge, spell like abilities
Special Qualities: DR 10/silver, low light vision, alternate form, night’s eternity, Unearthly Grace
Saves: Fort +14, ref + 22, Will +19
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 22, Con 14, Int 15 , Wis 17 , Cha 26
Skills: Bluff +18, Concentration +12, Diplomacy +18, Disguise +18, Escape Artist +16, Handle Animal +18, Heal +13, Hide +16, Move Silently +16, Knowledge (Nature) +12, Sense Motive +13, Survival +13
Feats: stealthy, dodge, point blank shot, negotiator, rapid shot
Environment: any forest
Organization: solitary or warden (1 plus 2d6 wolves and 1d4 giant owls)
Challenge Rating: 8
Treasure: standard goods plus 2d6-1 arrows (+3)
Alignment: Any Chaotic
Advancement: (12-14 medium)
Level Adjustment:

The mist around you gleams in the moonlight and all is still. The closer you come to the silhouette of the owl, the more you realize it is changing. As you come closer, you are face to face with one of the most beautiful women you have ever seen. Her hair is the silvery sheen of the moon, and her skin is pale. She seems to be shrouded in a shimmering cape reminiscent of the stars above.

The maidens of the night are spirits given form by the moon’s rays. They are often found at secluded pools and groves where they tend to the creatures of the night. More malign maidens may use their abilities to torment women in settlements whose beauty they fear may one day rival their own and kidnap handsome men for their own purposes. Maidens of the night cannot be born, only made, though the actual method of doing so is a well kept secret from mortals.

Combat

Most Maidens do not engage in combat directly, but instead rely on their spell-like abilities and shape changing to ward off foes. If forced to fight however, they usually open with moonfire followed by a few volleys from their bows.
Moonfire (su): The maiden creates a ball of light in their hand similar in sheen to the moon’s glow. With a successful ranged touch attack, the ball of moonfire deals 3d6 points of untyped magical damage. This is usable once per minute.

Lunar Cloak (su): The maiden is constantly encased in a black cloak that mimics the night sky. In addition to granting the maiden a +8 deflection bonus to armor class, it all living creatures looking directly at the maiden takes a -4 circumstance penalty to will saves as its constant shifting disrupts their concentration and weakens their willpower.

Nightwarden’s Charge (su): Because they are so attuned to the moon’s energies, Maidens of the night can command or rebuke lycanthropes as a cleric of their HD would turn or command undead.

Alternate form (sp): At will, a maiden of the night may assume the form of a wolf, a snowy owl, or a cloud of stardust. In their stardust form, they are treated as if under the effects of a gaseous form spell.

Unearthly Grace (Su) A Maiden of the night adds her charisma bonus to all saving throws.

Night’s Eternity (su): The blessings maidens receive from moonlight prevent them from dying in moonlight, if reduced to -10 hit points, they are forced to revert to their stardust form with the following distinctions; they are dispersed throughout the area where their corporeal body was destroyed, unable to cast spells, or otherwise influence or be influenced by their environment. They remain in such a debilitated and broken state for 1d4 days. Also, their pact with the moon bars them from lingering in sunlight. If even one ray of sun touches their body in their natural form, they are instantly slain, reduced to an immobile pile of cosmic dust. In the area of a daylight spell, A maiden is treated as dazzled. Spells invoking daylight such as Searing Light and Sunburst deal 50% more damage to a maiden of the night.

Spell-like abilities at will: detect thoughts, daze, hypnotism, charm person, obscuring mist, 3/day hold person, suggestion, nondetection, Sophitia's Silver burst* 1/day charm monster, hallucinatory terrain (CL as HD Saves are 18+ spell level)

*Sophitia's Silver Burst as Made by Fax Celestis (http://corporation.walagata.com/fax/wiki/index.php/Spells#Sophitia.27s_Silver_Burst)

Poppatomus
2007-06-15, 11:07 AM
interesting idea. Does the penalty segment of Night's eternity apply to spells like Daylight, and solar ray (or whatever that cleric sunlight ray attack is called)?

stolenchariot
2007-06-15, 11:33 AM
I've given it a bit of thought. I think that it will take penalties in magical daylight and extra damage from spells like sunburst, but as they aren't raw sunlight they won't kill her.

DragonTounge
2007-06-15, 11:35 AM
Since the Maiden of the Night has a constitution of 14, it would have a 12d6+24 for hit dice. An average of 90 hit points or so.

stolenchariot
2007-06-15, 11:43 AM
Okay, I edited the discrepancies pointed out. Votes anyone?

Poppatomus
2007-06-15, 11:48 AM
MitP vote: Yes

DracoDei
2007-06-15, 04:36 PM
MitP Vote Yes

TheLogman
2007-06-15, 04:38 PM
MitP: Yes Also, what's a Moonbow? Is that like a regular bow, but it makes its own ammo, that is treated as Cold Iron or Quicksilver or something? Cause that would be cool. Oh, and trying not to be nit-picky, but it looks like 151d8 on the attack bonus thing, could you put a space there? And since the second attack is not part of the Moonbow, you should put it inside its own parenthesis with its own name for the attack.

stolenchariot
2007-06-15, 04:59 PM
The moonbow is an extention of the Maiden. It is capable of creating its own ammo which does force damage, but if fired with ammunition, the force damage stacks with the regular ammunition. Most Maidens carry +# arrows.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-06-15, 05:18 PM
MitP Vote: Yes.

stolenchariot
2007-06-18, 12:37 PM
Thank you to everyone who voted and gave feedback.

Matthew
2007-06-21, 07:38 PM
Hmmn, 12D6 + 24 doesn't give an average of 90, it gives an average of 66 [(3.5 x 12) + 24].

Not sure how you are getting a +15 Attack Bonus, are you adding Strength and Dexterity to Base Attack Bonus or does she have a Moon Bow +3?

Anywho, it should probably be +12, given that it's niether of the cases above.

Skills Points = [15 x (6 + 2)] = 120

Bluff +18 = 10(18)
Concentration +12 = 10(12)
Diplomacy +18 = 10(18)
Disguise +18 = 10(18)
Escape Artist +16 = 10(16)
Handle Animal +18 = 10(18)
Heal +13 = 10(13)
Hide +16 = 10(16)
Move Silently +16 = 10(16)
Knowledge (Nature) +12 = 10(12)
Sense Moti[v]e +14 = 11(14)
Survival +14 = 10(14)

Skills are almost perfect, just added the wrong modifier to Sense Motive.

Seems pretty good. I'm not on board with her Cloak weakening the Willpower Saving Throws of those who look upon it, but it's a minor quibble.

stolenchariot
2007-06-21, 07:55 PM
well The maiden statted above was given using +3 arrows in her moonbow, and my line of thinking on the cloak was that it was constantly shifting which would throw off others' concentration, thus making it harder to shrug off spells and such.

Matthew
2007-06-21, 08:08 PM
Right, then shouldn't it be a Moon Bow +3 made for a +3 Strength Modifier, granting her +6 Damage? Or are you purposefully keeping the Strength Bonus from applying?

stolenchariot
2007-06-21, 08:14 PM
I'm trying to nerf her more mundane combat stats to emphasize that they focus more on trickery and manipulation than combat.

Matthew
2007-06-21, 08:19 PM
Fair enough.

stolenchariot
2007-06-28, 10:44 AM
ok I'm bumping this.

Doi
2007-06-28, 10:33 PM
MitP Vote Yes

Callix
2007-06-28, 10:38 PM
Err... This monster can force a player to acquire a +2 LA as a touch attack at will... while not overpowered in the combat, it could break apart a game group if not used carefully. And, of course, the player gets little benefit from the template until they learn to control it.

ringsnake
2007-06-28, 10:58 PM
MitP: No

The Curse of the Night ability guarantees that I'd never use it as a DM. Force PCs to make a DC:24 fort save or have their characters transform into psychopathic NPCs? Werewolves are quothe the MM, "Always Chaotic Evil". No, not doing that to my players. The DC in the MM for Werewolf bites is a mere DC:15 no matter how powerful the base creature.

Worse still would be to treat Lycanthropy as a Monty-Haulish reward (pretty commonly seen I know) without any of the penalties or instintive bouts of NPCness described in the MM.

Even if this one makes it, I suggest you bump up the CR. It requires a spellcaster of at least 12th level to break the affliction of Lycanthropy, and real Lycanthropes need to succeed at a bite attack that also damages the victim rather than a mere touch attack.

The general appearance and idea is neat, but the rules implementation would have to be scrapped and reworked to get my vote. I think if you dumped all the Lycanthrope stuff and reworked the other powers a bit more it'd work better.

stolenchariot
2007-06-29, 09:27 AM
hmm... perhaps if I dramatically lower the DC and lower the usage to at the most once a week?

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-29, 09:44 AM
I vote, MitP: Yes.

d(^_^)b

Anxe
2007-06-30, 08:35 AM
Good idea. Wish I'd thought of it.
Mitp: Yes

stolenchariot
2007-07-09, 01:42 PM
Okay, I scrapped Curse of the night. I agree. It did seem grossly overpowering. Anything else show that I should add/ change/ scrap?

XtheYeti
2007-07-09, 02:28 PM
MitP: YES

i like this guy

Poppatomus
2007-07-12, 02:22 PM
I think Night's eternity needs to be refined a bit more. Gaseuos creatures can still cast certain spells as well as be damaged (they gain DR 10/magic). It seems like you mean this to be stronger than gaseous form on the protection side while also being weaker on the still allowing you to act side.

Also, what are the caster levels for the spell-like abilities?

Matthew
2007-07-31, 12:22 PM
I was just taking another look at this and realised that Survival is probably one point over, as well [i.e. should be 10(13)]. Not sure why I missed that the first time around.

Looks like this has achieved enough votes to go into MitP, but it needs to be updated. Anyone seen Stolen Chariot around?

stolenchariot
2007-07-31, 02:04 PM
I've been here. It already got accepted and I fixed the fluf up a bit.

Matthew
2007-07-31, 02:55 PM
Ah, so it has. I was misreading it.