PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian/Rogue Battlefield Control (Stealth Bomber)

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-27, 02:49 PM
Alright, so everyone uses Barbarian/Rogue a lot, for defense and for offensive abilities.

However I want to make a stealth bomb.

Barbarian (Wolf and Tiger) 10 / Rogue (Arcane Trickster) 10

Idea: Use Arcane Trickster to go invisible. Expertise in Athletics and Stealth. This isn't a damage build but a help an ally build.

Get in the middle of a group, I can go through other creature's quares ;).

Enter Rage, invisibility ends, grapple two enemies. When my allies hear me scream they run around the corner or whatever (most of my allies aren't sneaky... Lol) and will have advantage on the enemy as I stay adjacent to them.

If I grapple one I will attack and shove creatures to the ground or closer to my allies as I drag the grappled creature with me (+15, advantage).

If I want to deal damage I have a rapier, I won't be the best but I can help my allies well enough.

If I want to cast a bit, I hide first (+15) and then cast a spell. This can happen when I'm invisible and sneaking up in a group of enemies. But with a DC of 13 I would rather just use my spells to help me out. Shield isn't really needed (defensive duelist is better) but Absorb Elements could be nice. Though for my free spell I would look more at spells like Fog Cloud for extra fun.

Of course Invisibility + Mirror Image would be a fun combo to start off a battle with.

Final ASI

Str: 16
Dex: 16
Con: 16
Int: 8
Wis: 12
Cha: 8

HP: 184
AC: 16 (18 w/shield)

Skills: Athletics, Acrobatics, Stealth, Animal Handling, Insight, Perception, and Survival

Features

Halfling Features:
• Can reroll a natural 1
• Advantage on saves vs frightened
• Can move through larger creatures' spaces
• Advantage on saves vs poison, poison damage resistance
Sailor Feature:
• You can arrange free passage on a ship for your party
Class Features:
• x/day you gain advantage on Str checks and saves, deal +Y damage on strength based melee attacks, and resistance vs bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage
• Add Con mod to AC when not wearing armor
• Double proficiency with chosen skills/tools (Athletics, Stealth, Perception, Survival)
• Sneak Attack (5d6)
• Understand a secret language
• You can dash, disengage, or hide as a bonus action
• You can gain advantage on Str based melee attacks by granting advantage to attacks against you for the round
• Danger Sense: You gain advantage on Dex saves vs things you can see
• Barbarian Archetype: Totem
• You can cast beast sense and speak with animals as rituals
• Wolf - Allies gain advantage on attacks against foes adjacent to you when you are raging
• Rogue Archetype: Arcane Trickster
• Special abilities with mage hand (see rules)
• Shield Master: You can shove with your shield as a bonus action after attacking, you gain your shield bonus to dex saves vs single target effects, and can use a reaction to not take half damage when you pass a dex save
• You can use a reaction to take half damage when hit by a foe that you see
• Athlete: You can climb at full speed, you can make a running jump after 5 feet, standing up costs you just 5 feet, and you gain +1 to either Str or Dex
• If not in heavy armor, your speed improves by 10 feet
• You can make two attacks on your turn
• Tiger - Proficiency with 2: Acrobatics, Athletics, Stealth, Survival
• Gain advantage on initiative rolls, and you can enter a rage to not be surprised
• Skulker: You can hide when only lightly obscured, missed attacks don't reveal you, and you can see in dim light
• Gain one additional weapon die of damage on a melee critical hit
• You can cast commune with nature as a ritual
• Two additional double proficient skills
• When you would make a Dex save for half damage, you take no damage if you pass or half damage if you do not
• Defensive Duelist: You can use a reaction to gain proficiency bonus to AC when wielding a finesse weapon
• Creatures have disadvantage vs your spells when you are hidden

====

I might build an Int based version of this character at some point.

I just thought the idea of invisible sneak+rage+grapple would be fun. Until I get my own spells I would rely on other members to help me out with invisibility.

Citan
2016-01-28, 04:48 AM
Alright, so everyone uses Barbarian/Rogue a lot, for defense and for offensive abilities.

However I want to make a stealth bomb.

Barbarian (Wolf and Tiger) 10 / Rogue (Arcane Trickster) 10

Idea: Use Arcane Trickster to go invisible. Expertise in Athletics and Stealth. This isn't a damage build but a help an ally build.

Get in the middle of a group, I can go through other creature's quares ;).

Enter Rage, invisibility ends, grapple two enemies. When my allies hear me scream they run around the corner or whatever (most of my allies aren't sneaky... Lol) and will have advantage on the enemy as I stay adjacent to them.

====

I might build an Int based version of this character at some point.

I just thought the idea of invisible sneak+rage+grapple would be fun. Until I get my own spells I would rely on other members to help me out with invisibility.
Hi! Interesting build, seems like fun.
Few thoughts... :)

Considering you plan on going Rogue >9, you'll put enemies to disadvantage against your spell if you cast while hidden. With that said, with a 8 in INT it will indeed be not enough. Because of that, I would say that with current stats distribution, going Rogue up to 10 (for ASI I suppose ?) is not necessarily the best choice.
You could very well stop at Rogue 8 (ASI, 6 spell known, 2*lvl3 slots, 4d SA) and go Barb 12 (you still get the same number of ASI, but you get more HP, Relentless and another Rage).
This would be my suggestion for your current stat distribution.

With that said, another way to go that may be equally well or better for your concept is going Rogue 11 / Barb 9 and drop STR to 14, DEX to 14 and WIS to 10 to pump INT into a decent 14 (hope this works, cannot do the math now ^^).
Losing 1 on Stealth and Athletics check will be greatly compensated, not only by your Expertise and Tiger, but also by Reliable Talent (anything under 9 on roll is a 10).
Same for Initiative since you have Feral Instinct.
You will also get a much better Sneak Attack which will compensate the drop in base stats, and more spells and spell slots to play with.
You will have the same number of rages than with your initial build IIRC, a few less HP.
The real drawback though is the loss of 1 ASI. I think it's worth it but it's a matter of opinion.

Have fun!

Hairfish
2016-01-28, 09:09 AM
Choosing a small race means you're limited to size medium or smaller creatures for grappling and shoving. You'd get Enlarge/Reduce at Rogue 7 to help a bit.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-28, 11:40 AM
Hi! Interesting build, seems like fun.
Few thoughts... :)

Considering you plan on going Rogue >9, you'll put enemies to disadvantage against your spell if you cast while hidden. With that said, with a 8 in INT it will indeed be not enough. Because of that, I would say that with current stats distribution, going Rogue up to 10 (for ASI I suppose ?) is not necessarily the best choice.
You could very well stop at Rogue 8 (ASI, 6 spell known, 2*lvl3 slots, 4d SA) and go Barb 12 (you still get the same number of ASI, but you get more HP, Relentless and another Rage).
This would be my suggestion for your current stat distribution.

With that said, another way to go that may be equally well or better for your concept is going Rogue 11 / Barb 9 and drop STR to 14, DEX to 14 and WIS to 10 to pump INT into a decent 14 (hope this works, cannot do the math now ^^).
Losing 1 on Stealth and Athletics check will be greatly compensated, not only by your Expertise and Tiger, but also by Reliable Talent (anything under 9 on roll is a 10).
Same for Initiative since you have Feral Instinct.
You will also get a much better Sneak Attack which will compensate the drop in base stats, and more spells and spell slots to play with.
You will have the same number of rages than with your initial build IIRC, a few less HP.
The real drawback though is the loss of 1 ASI. I think it's worth it but it's a matter of opinion.

Have fun!

I think I'll drop the Rogue Levels to 8, the barbarian side is too nice compared to the Rogue side.

I really like my Int where it's at, not completely stupid but not smart enough to NOT do what I'm planning on doing based on the next response below...

Choosing a small race means you're limited to size medium or smaller creatures for grappling and shoving. You'd get Enlarge/Reduce at Rogue 7 to help a bit.

I was thinking of that, and I found a solution, it is like grappling but a bit cooler...

"Climb Onto A Bigger Creature", it is a maneuver in the DMG. You can use Athletics or Acrobatics to climb onto a bigger creature. No creature size limit.

Halfling is perfect for this as he can climb onto most enemies.

Basically, once I latch on, you are giving up advantage to my allies. Unarmed strike "bite" would make this an interesting "ankle biter" build :p.

HoarsHalberd
2016-01-28, 11:52 AM
I think I'll drop the Rogue Levels to 8, the barbarian side is too nice compared to the Rogue side.

I really like my Int where it's at, not completely stupid but not smart enough to NOT do what I'm planning on doing based on the next response below...

I was thinking of that, and I found a solution, it is like grappling but a bit cooler...

"Climb Onto A Bigger Creature", it is a maneuver in the DMG. You can use Athletics or Acrobatics to climb onto a bigger creature. No creature size limit.

Halfling is perfect for this as he can climb onto most enemies.

Basically, once I latch on, you are giving up advantage to my allies. Unarmed strike "bite" would make this an interesting "ankle biter" build :p.

Unless you are playing with the flanking optional rule being adjacent does not give advantage.