PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New cleric cantrips

Submortimer
2016-01-30, 03:01 PM
Couple new Cleric can trips to chew on: one that makes good clerich better tanks, one that helps keep foes away from a Bad cleric, and some love for the Light domain cleric

Lance of Faith
Evocation Cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 120 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous
Description:
You summon a glowing spear made of light which you throw at a creature or object within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 1d8 radiant damage and begins glowing, granting a +1 bonus to the next attack roll against the target.
You may summon and throw an additional lance when you reach 5th level (2 lances), 11th level (3 lances), and 17th level (4 lances). You make separate attack rolls for each lance.
Class: Cleric

Chastising Blade
Evocation Cantrip
Range: 5 feet
Components: V, S, M (a weapon)
Description:
As part of casting this spell, make a melee weapon attack against a creature or object in range. If you miss this attack, the spell is wasted. If you hit, the attack does damage as normal, except that the entire attack deals Radiant damage instead of it's normal type. Additionally, if the target makes an attack, casts a spell or uses some other form of harmful action towards any of your allies before the beginning if your next turn, the target takes 1d4 + your spellcasting modifier psychic damage.
The initial damage increases by 1d10 and secondary damage increases by 1d4 at 5th level (1d10/2d4), 11th level (2d10/3d4), and 17th level (3d10/4d4).
Classes: Cleric

Subjugating Blade
Necromancy Cantrip
Range: 5 feet
Components: V, S, M (a weapon)
Description:
As part of casting this spell, make a melee weapon attack against a creature or object in range. If you miss this attack, the spell is wasted. If you hit, the attack does damage as normal, except that the entire attack deals Necrotic damage instead of it's normal type. Additionally, if the target makes an attack, casts a spell or uses some other form of harmful action towards you before the beginning if your next turn, the target takes 1d4 + your spellcasting modifier psychic damage.
The initial damage increases by 1d10 and secondary damage increases by 1d4 at 5th level (1d10/2d4), 11th level (2d10/3d4), and 17th level (3d10/4d4).
Classes: Cleric

M Placeholder
2016-01-31, 05:12 AM
On the Lance of Faith, how bright is the glow? A description would be nice, especially as it might have a mechanical effect in enviroments with low light levels.

Flashy
2016-01-31, 05:15 AM
On the Lance of Faith, how bright is the glow? A description would be nice, especially as it might have a mechanical effect in enviroments with low light levels.

I believe the assumption is that if it doesn't specify then it provides no illumination? That's how Guiding Bolt seems to work, at least, and I imagine Lance of Faith is sort of intended as a minor Guiding Bolt.

Submortimer
2016-01-31, 05:46 AM
I believe the assumption is that if it doesn't specify then it provides no illumination? That's how Guiding Bolt seems to work, at least, and I imagine Lance of Faith is sort of intended as a minor Guiding Bolt.

This is correct. You can see the target, but not bright enough to act as a torch or other source of light.

DracoKnight
2016-01-31, 05:57 AM
Couple new Cleric can trips to chew on: one that makes good clerich better tanks, one that helps keep foes away from a Bad cleric, and some love for the Light domain cleric

Lance of Faith
Evocation Cantrip
Range: 120 feet
Components: V, S
Description:
You summon a glowing spear made of light which you throw at a creature or object within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 1d8 radiant damage and begins glowing, giving you +1 to your next attack roll against the target.
You may summon and throw an additional lance when you reach 5th level (2 lances), 11th level (3 lances), and 17th level (4 lances). You make separate attack rolls for each lance.

This is ridiculously close to a cantrip I made a little while ago, called Sunspear. Great minds think alike, I guess :smallbiggrin:
That said, I think your version might be slightly more balanced than mine. Would you be willing to give my version a look?

Submortimer
2016-01-31, 02:36 PM
I'm always open to taking a look at your stuff, Draco

DracoKnight
2016-01-31, 02:45 PM
I'm always open to taking a look at your stuff, Draco

So, some design thoughts that I had. When I was making this, I too, was trying to think of ways to give the Light Cleric some love. I knew I wanted it to be the Cleric's version of Eldritch Blast. Also, it changed from force damage to radiant damage, because it's divine, not arcane. I knew that I wanted to give it a rider, since EB is powerful because of it's invocations, not necessarily because of the base cantrip. But d10 PLUS a rider would have been too strong, so I dropped it to a d8 and added an invocation-esque rider to the cantrip.

Sunspear (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yuM4Ti0ae2Q2RwcSxPeXysR_M6ctlJK38O_WfosYGv0/edit?usp=sharing)

JNAProductions
2016-01-31, 03:24 PM
All seem nicely balanced and useful in their own ways.

One thing-perhaps allow Lance of Faith's attack bonus to be used by allies, not just you?

Crusadr
2016-02-01, 03:13 PM
Rather than have the glow from the Lance of Faith give a +1 on your next attack vs that target wouldn't it be easier to basically make it akin to Faerie Fire? So that the target exhibits the glow and further attacks against that target just get advantage from any attacker?

JNAProductions
2016-02-01, 04:13 PM
Advantage is too powerful, methinks. Maybe advantage on one attack, but even that is pretty potent when that attack is a Cantrip or spell attack...

Crusadr
2016-02-01, 05:56 PM
True, that might be a bit much, sort of forgot that cantrip part. Maybe the glow is just enough that the only bonus associated with it is that now that creature is unable to hide in any way?

Submortimer
2016-02-01, 06:44 PM
All seem nicely balanced and useful in their own ways.

One thing-perhaps allow Lance of Faith's attack bonus to be used by allies, not just you?

Hmm...that could make sense. Instead of just laser blasting one guy, he paints all the targets so his allies can hit them better...

I like it.

MOBA WARS
2016-02-02, 04:36 AM
The dungeons and dragons 3.5 is my pref

DracoKnight
2016-02-02, 04:43 AM
The dungeons and dragons 3.5 is my pref

That is a valid opinion. One held by many. But how is that relevant to helping the OP balance the spells they would like to grant their players?

Submortimer
2016-02-02, 07:25 PM
That is a valid opinion. One held by many. But how is that relevant to helping the OP balance the spells they would like to grant their players?

I spy a troll. Here, take these. *hands out torches*

DracoKnight
2016-02-02, 08:23 PM
*hands out torches*

Grabs one, along with my +2 pitchfork that allows me to cast hunter's mark once per long rest.

Submortimer
2016-02-02, 08:57 PM
Grabs one, along with my +2 pitchfork that allows me to cast hunter's mark once per long rest.

I want one of those...

DracoKnight
2016-02-02, 10:50 PM
I want one of those...

It has been in my family for generations. We keep it specially for hunting trolls and other petty prejudices, like any good family of backwards medieval common folk.

GandalfTheWhite
2016-02-03, 01:18 AM
DracoKnight and Submortimer just won, both rolling critical hits to slay the Forum Troll.