PDA

View Full Version : Check my idea before I make a class please

Nerdynick
2016-01-31, 04:04 PM
Okay, so I've been playing a lot of Darkest Dungeon recently and was thinking about the game's abomination class and how to implement that in pathfinder. The thought I've been toying with is creating an otherwise subpar martial class that gets access to evolutions as if they were a summoner's eidolon whenever they change form. I've never really messed with summoners before, so I don't know if they'd need more or less evolutions than eidolons, but I was hoping that you guys might be able to double check this idea before I launch into a full homebrewing session.

McNinja
2016-01-31, 05:10 PM
Okay, so I've been playing a lot of Darkest Dungeon recently and was thinking about the game's abomination class and how to implement that in pathfinder. The thought I've been toying with is creating an otherwise subpar martial class that gets access to evolutions as if they were a summoner's eidolon whenever they change form. I've never really messed with summoners before, so I don't know if they'd need more or less evolutions than eidolons, but I was hoping that you guys might be able to double check this idea before I launch into a full homebrewing session.From what I remember, the evolutions eidolon's receive are pretty extensive and can get pretty powerful.

The issue with just going by what the eidolons get is that a summoner has both an eidolon AND magic, so for this class you would need to slightly increase the number of evolutions the player can get.

nikkoli
2016-02-04, 01:38 AM
I havent payed darkeat dungeon but i think I get the theme. Some ideas that don't require making a full class would be to make a fighter archetype that swaps out bravery and armor training and the feat at 1 for an evolution pool and then counts it's fighter level as summoner level when qualifying for evolutions are involved.
Also have you looked at dreamscared press's aegis class wth the aberrant archetype?

RatElemental
2016-02-06, 03:40 AM
A character that turns into an eidolon for combat already kind of exists, in the Synthesist Summoner archetype (Ultimate Magic). It seemed rather powerful, seeing as they kept their mental stats but took on the eidolon's physical stats when combined. It was even banned in some official format or another (but that may have been due to it needing so much adjudication).

My point is you could... use it as a starting/balance point? I'm not sure where I was going with this anymore, really.

bookguy
2016-02-07, 04:41 PM
If you're looking for a starting point for balance, I'd take a look at the barbarian. Seriously. The barbarian is a full martial class whose main ability changes her stats for a period of time. I'd also look at how the druid handles wild shape. Those should give you an idea of what to do about transforming and the power level of the evolutions.