PDA

View Full Version : Spellslicer (Magic item enhancement)

Imrix.
2007-06-15, 11:56 AM
Lesser Spellslicer: A slashing or piercing weapon with this property is disruptive to magical energy, allowing it to “cut” through minor spells, splitting the spell into fragments that dissipate harmlessly. A Lesser Spellslicer weapon may be used, by sacrificing an Attack of Oppertunity, to block a spell or spell-like ability of 2nd level or lower that is targeted specifically at the wielder. It may not block area-of-effect spells that catch the wielder in their effects. The wielder makes an attack roll and benefits from Spell Resistance versus the spell, with a value of their combined BAB, Strength bonus, weapon enhancment bonus and attack roll.

Faint Abjuration; CL 3rd; Craft Magic Arms and Armor; Price +1 bonus.

Spellslicer: A slashing or piercing weapon with this property is disruptive to magical energy, allowing it to “cut” through many spells, splitting the spell into fragments that dissipate harmlessly. A Spellslicer weapon may be used, by sacrificing an Attack of Oppertunity, to block a spell or spell-like ability of 5th level or lower that is targeted specifically at the wielder. It may not block area-of-effect spells that catch the wielder in their effects. The wielder makes an attack roll and benefits from Spell Resistance versus the spell, with a value of their combined BAB, Strength bonus, weapon enhancment bonus and attack roll..

Moderate Abjuration, CL 6th, Craft Magic Arms and Armour; Price +2 bonus.

Greater Spellslicer: A slashing or piercing weapon with this property is disruptive to magical energy, allowing it to “cut” through all but the most powerful spells, splitting the spell into fragments that dissipate harmlessly. A Greater Spellslicer weapon may be used, by sacrificing an Attack of Oppertunity, to block a spell or spell-like ability of 8th level or lower that is targeted specifically at the wielder. It may not block area-of-effect spells that catch the wielder in their effects. The wielder makes an attack roll and benefits from Spell Resistance versus the spell, with a value of their combined BAB, Strength bonus, weapon enhancment bonus and attack roll.

Strong Abjuration, CL 12th, Craft Magic Arms and Armour, Globe of Invulnerability; Price +4 bonus.

Supreme Spellslicer: A slashing or piercing weapon with this property is disruptive to magical energy, allowing it to “cut” through almost any magic known to even the greatest wizards, splitting the spell into fragments that dissipate harmlessly. A Greater Spellslicer weapon may be used, by sacrificing an Attack of Oppertunity, to block a spell or spell-like ability of 9th level or lower that is targeted specifically at the wielder. It may not block area-of-effect spells that catch the wielder in their effects. The wielder makes an attack roll and benefits from Spell Resistance versus the spell, with a value of their combined BAB, Strength bonus, weapon enhancment bonus and attack roll.

Strong Abjuration, CL 15th, Craft Magic Arms and Armour, Globe of Invulnerability, Spell Turning; Price +5 bonus.

What can I say, I like stuff that works against magic.

Poppatomus
2007-06-15, 12:04 PM
They seem interesting, but that also seems like an awful lot of spell resistance. Perhaps its counteracted by the limited number of uses per round, but still, seems like a lot.

I mean, assuming a ten on the roll, a 10th level min maxed fighter now has at least a 25 SR again as many spells as he has AoO every round, the same as an ancient black dragon.

Though I suppose it's possible I am reading it wrong.

Imrix.
2007-06-15, 12:24 PM
While this is true, in the same vein most min-maxed casters can effectively ignore SR (or so I hear, other people can answer that better than me), and even so it only affects spells of a certain level or lower, and only affects spells that directly target the fighter. So, a Fireball targetted at the rock next to him would bypass it nicely.

It also requires a feat and a high Dex to be actually useful, rather than just a nice bonus to tone down the onslaught of magic by a fraction.

Plus, there's plenty of spells that simply don't allow SR.

As a final note, it's not a HUGE difficulty to get past. An equivelant level caster (10th level), with Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration, an orange Ioun Stone, a Bead of Karma and, if allowed, a Spellthief Cohort (who can reduce the SR by 5) has an effective bonus of +9, meaning they succeed on a 6. If you want to be sure, then a prior casting of Assay Spell Resistence adds another +10, meaning you cannot actually fail, unless the test allows critical faliures.

Elurindel
2007-06-15, 03:36 PM
It looks to be a good enough defense against magic, without having to splurge out huge amounts for Spell Resistance, but personally I believe the Greater Version to be slightly too cheap, but then that's just my opinion. A +4 enhancement can be given to allow a weapon to block things like Empowered Disintegrate? Just seems a little small for me.

Imrix.
2007-06-15, 04:48 PM
A point worth considering... Hmm. Edit time.

Matthew
2007-06-20, 07:03 AM
Interesting idea, this. I always liked the idea of Shields that protected from Magic, myself. Not sure if I can get on board with the idea that these weapons can cut up Charm Spells and the like, but I guess it all comes down to how you choose to visualise events.

Kurald Galain
2007-06-20, 07:40 AM
Interesting.

If it slices spells, shouldn't it also cut buffs right off the mage's back (assuming you can hit him to begin with)?

How about cutting a Wall of Force into little force-shaped pieces?

Baron Corm
2007-06-20, 09:52 AM
seems kind of odd to me that you give him spell resistance from a weapon enhancement. should go onto armor, especially since a weapon like that which could logically cut through wall of force is a major artifact in BoVD. but there are already spell resistance armor enhancements, and it's a +5 bonus for only SR 19.

how about something like this:

+2 bonus - apply armor bonus from this armor to your touch AC

Antimagic - this armor is immune to magic, and has a sort of magnetic effect which has a chance of pulling a spell towards it before it can effect its wearer - +1 bonus - 20% chance to avoid a targeted spell
Greater Antimagic - +3 bonus - 50% chance to avoid a targeted spell

or maybe if you want to keep the weapon enhancement idea:

+1 bonus - shield bonuses to AC from this weapon (such as those granted from Two-Weapon Fighting) apply to touch AC

with the one you have... there's no reason why you couldn't get an attack of opportunity to sunder a weapon coming at you or something, you know?. maybe you should turn that weapon ability into a feat? just doesn't make sense as a weapon ability to me.

Imrix.
2007-06-22, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Kurald Galain
If it slices spells, shouldn't it also cut buffs right off the mage's back (assuming you can hit him to begin with)?

Not really. A protection spell is, by definition, protective in nature- that means it's built to resist things that attack it. An offensive spell is not constructed with such a thing in mind, so it's more possible to cut it in half.

Originally posted by flyingpoo22
seems kind of odd to me that you give him spell resistance from a weapon enhancement.

Why? A large part of mundane combat is blocking an enemy blow with your own weapon, so why shouldn't a magical weapon be able to block a magical attack? Besides, D&D is not without precedents- look the Defending enhancement.

Originally posted by flyingpoo22
especially since a weapon like that which could logically cut through wall of force is a major artifact in BoVD. but there are already spell resistance armor enhancements, and it's a +5 bonus for only SR 19.

Firstly; this can't cut through a Wall of Force. A spell has to be targetted at the wielder for it to work. It can't cut through defensive spells at all.

Secondly, that's for SR 19 all the time, versus spells of any level. This is for a random amount of SR versus spells of a certain level or lower.

As for the idea of sundering weapons as attacks of oppertunity- there IS a Grappling Block feat, so why there shouldn't be the possibiltiy to sunder a weapon... Well, why the hell not?

Also, I never specified whether the weapon left it up to YOU to actually block the spell, or prompted and aided you in that direction.