PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Runemaster: Redux (Homebrew Class)

SilverStud
2016-02-06, 11:58 PM
Ok, here's the deal. A while back I made a thread for my custom class, the Runemaster. Then life got busy and I wasn't able to do much with it and it died.

So here we are. I was able recently to put some more work into it. Those of you who saw it back then may remember that I didn't have a spell list or rune lists. I have those now.

RUNEMASTER!!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BnFVnNYB2eXRq-lG1Pa1JLIV0v3J-bx0Yb6R7zV-7bE/edit?usp=sharing

Spell List!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-SkEbwPTpOxsBoKz_ovQJ-xRnYGruoMzQzYSp9bbd_w/edit?usp=sharing
Please please please tell me what you think about the spell list. I tried to preserve the "feel" of the runemaster in there: sort of a more 'practical' wizard.

Spell Slot Table!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n5CybU_1gkJbAibA5MXO5LttzmSl8ZSgAGxGdezy2nQ/edit?usp=sharing

You'll notice that there are no cantrips, and no slots above 5th.

Battle Rune List!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OWU33oa_dtF5t2gWclKwfnxBuYj_IlYqsLXiEddaQy4/edit?usp=sharing

Ancient Rune List!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1a1h51Oyweekg5uC3JBkkKYotYinheFmRQM8vACF96tw/edit?usp=sharing

I'd like to have five or six more Runes in each List. Tell me what you think of the ones there AND what you think could be added.

I can't wait to see your replies!

Reply-based edits made:
Armor Proficiency is normalized.

PoeticDwarf
2016-02-07, 11:01 AM
I really like the idea and fluff
Why medium or light ? Just a minor thing but feels strange.
About the balance, it probably works out, maybe the damage becomes too much with those features and runes but I think it is OK
One thing that should really be changed. Make spell progression as paladin. Low level this class is now OP

I like it :D, but really change spell slots

PotatoGolem
2016-02-07, 12:19 PM
Interesting idea- sort of an arcane paladin. Two issues I see:

1) the armor proficiency is super weird. Nothing else in the game gives you medium without light, and it makes very little sense in game that you're only able to use armors that are restrictive to a certain level. You can fight in normal clothes or half plate, but slightly stiffened leather stops you? Give them both, it's not a big boost for a melee class.

2) remaking a runic weapon. The time commitment will be either meaningless or essentially character death depending on the campaign. In any campaign that's time-sensitive (most campaigns) a lucky sunder essentially one-shot kills the runemaster

SilverStud
2016-02-07, 02:38 PM
@Enderdwarf
So reducing the spell slots of this guy kinda takes away the whole point of him. I wanted him to be a 3/4 caster, where wizards are fullcasters and EK is a partcaster(1/4). If you think his slots are OP, maybe we should consider toning down his spells? Or maybe reducing the damage on the Infusion Rune? Notice he has no cantrips, so he has no magic to fall back on like most casters.

@PotatoGolem
You have a point with the armor proficiency. When you look at it like progression, it makes way more sense. I'll change that.
About the Runic Weapon, the building a new one is for people who want an additional Runic. The crazy time frame is in part to limit people from just making a Runic Weapon of every kind. The other part of the time frame is based on the crafting of magic items, as seen in DMG. I figured that the "shunt your Runic Weapon into a pocket dimension for free, no action required" would stop a lucky sunder from neutering this class.

What do you guys think of the Ancient/Battle Runes? I need to add more to those lists for sure, but does anything that's already there need changed?

PoeticDwarf
2016-02-07, 02:43 PM
@Enderdwarf
So reducing the spell slots of this guy kinda takes away the whole point of him. I wanted him to be a 3/4 caster, where wizards are fullcasters and EK is a partcaster(1/4). If you think his slots are OP, maybe we should consider toning down his spells? Or maybe reducing the damage on the Infusion Rune? Notice he has no cantrips, so he has no magic to fall back on like most casters

It is like with paladins. This class has strong dmg already. Givings him such spells very early would male this class low level... OP

Casting like the paladin would be enough. Otherwise the idea becomes way more important than how it works.

Edit:
Wait, I didn't see the spell list till now and not the whole progression loads on my phone. Giving level 9 spells make this a fullcaster with the DPR of a paladin. I still like the idea but now I just see how strong it becomes too much. First I talked 'bout giving him paladin casting but earlier. Now it is a valor bard way more combat orientated with... spells as wish

SilverStud
2016-02-07, 05:39 PM
Keep in mind that he can only pick one level nine spell for his whole life. Same with 6th, 7th, and 8th.
Maybe Wish is too powerful for this guy? I put forward some suggestions for nerfing him, since I'm unwilling to rob his spell slots. What did you think of those?

Also, on the topic of spell slots, remember that without cantrips, he HAS to use slots to perform magic. He doesn't get Prestidigitation or Firebolt or Eldritch Blast like wizards do, so I think saying "wizard with Paladin damage" isn't fair. If a wizard uses up his slots, especially low level, he can still do d8's of damage at range. When Runemaster uses up his slots, he's just a weaker fighter. It's that tradeoff that justifies the "high" number of slots.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-02-07, 07:46 PM
Am I missing something, or does this not have a 20th level feature?

SilverStud
2016-02-07, 10:37 PM
Haha you're not missing anything. I haven't come up with one. Got any ideas? Maybe a signature spell, like the wizard?