PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Race: Aurelii

Ninjadeadbeard
2016-02-07, 12:28 AM
A race once built to inhabit this world (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?251914-Eramus-Age-of-Antiquity-(PEACH!)), now updated for the 5th Edition of D&D.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p9ir3icrha9b21z/aurelii.pdf?dl=0

Please critique! Thank you!

UPDATE: Current build is below! Please critique!

Aurelii
+2 Str (2)
+1 Int (1)
Skill Prof: Religion (.5)
Toughness: +1 hp (1.5)
Advantage against Frightened (.5)
Imperial Weapon Training (prof with shortswords, javelins, shields) (.5)
Help Action in combat gives bonus action attack (1)
Total = 7

M Placeholder
2016-02-07, 05:48 AM
Its pretty weak, compared to the Variant human, and the frontline fighter is also pretty weak considering just how circumstantial it is. This needs more features.

Ninjadeadbeard
2016-02-08, 02:22 PM
Its pretty weak, compared to the Variant human, and the frontline fighter is also pretty weak considering just how circumstantial it is. This needs more features.

If it helps, no PHB races are allowed in the game this is meant for.

Other than that, what would you suggest I add?

infinitum3d
2016-02-08, 02:31 PM

I don't know if I'd say weak. The stat buffs and military profs give it a slight edge against some, while maintaining the human-ness of the character. If anything, i'd say it doesn't have a weakness/flaw to counter the buffs.

My $0.02

Amnoriath
2016-02-09, 01:20 PM
1. This then begs the question what do the other races look like in mechanics and the difficulty of the world. 5e gives a lot of power in the base race because there are no racial feats or the like to government developmental choices as well as bounded accuracy. In general the CR and diffcultly kind of expects it and you having all this wonderful Romanesque flavor with little mechanics is a bit of let down.
2. You may not be using the PHB races but you do have elves so in general I think we could all ask why are you not using them as guidelines?

Ninjadeadbeard
2016-02-09, 08:35 PM
1. This then begs the question what do the other races look like in mechanics and the difficulty of the world. 5e gives a lot of power in the base race because there are no racial feats or the like to government developmental choices as well as bounded accuracy. In general the CR and diffcultly kind of expects it and you having all this wonderful Romanesque flavor with little mechanics is a bit of let down.

2. You may not be using the PHB races but you do have elves so in general I think we could all ask why are you not using them as guidelines?

Elves in my setting have the following stats:
+2 Dex
+ 1 Int
Cantrip (Wizard)
Elven Weapon Prof
Darkvision
Keen Senses

Using the fan-made Race Building Guidelines I used to make these races, Elves hit around 5 and the Aurelii should hit around 5.5. To put that into perspective, most PHB races besides Dwarves hit around the 5-6 margin.

I am not hewing too closely to the PHB because this is meant as a conversion/light retcon of a setting I made for 3.5 a few years back, and the campaign that spawned was immensely popular with my players. The races then and now are a lot more grounded than in normal fantasy, and while I'd like to move towards more interesting racial benefits, I'm trying to keep to that flavor and style of play.

What mechanics might you have suggested to capture that "Romanesque" feel? I am genuinely looking for ideas.

Amnoriath
2016-02-09, 08:58 PM
Elves in my setting have the following stats:
+2 Dex
+ 1 Int
Cantrip (Wizard)
Elven Weapon Prof
Darkvision
Keen Senses

Using the fan-made Race Building Guidelines I used to make these races, Elves hit around 5 and the Aurelii should hit around 5.5. To put that into perspective, most PHB races besides Dwarves hit around the 5-6 margin.

I am not hewing too closely to the PHB because this is meant as a conversion/light retcon of a setting I made for 3.5 a few years back, and the campaign that spawned was immensely popular with my players. The races then and now are a lot more grounded than in normal fantasy, and while I'd like to move towards more interesting racial benefits, I'm trying to keep to that flavor and style of play.

What mechanics might you have suggested to capture that "Romanesque" feel? I am genuinely looking for ideas.
1. Actually your Elf hits 5.5 while your Aurelli only probably hits at 4.5 at the most. Your arms proficiency is about the same and your Frontline Fighter is very limited unless you massively expand what an opportunity attack is.
2. But 5e in general is far more grounded because of Bounded Accuracy and the less intensive need to optimize using feat trees and racial combos.
3. Well these people clearly have a strong resolve both in and out of a group so I think advantage against being Frightened is definitely an order. Additionally I would consider something like this instead of your current Frontline Fighter as not only is it limited it is a lesser feature out of the Sentinel feat. I don't like anything that discourages taking a good feat.
"When you would use the Help action on an ally within 5 feet of you. You can make a weapon attack as a bonus action," This incentivises some better general tactical and support choices by still allowing you to do some damage.

Ninjadeadbeard
2016-02-09, 10:57 PM
2. But 5e in general is far more grounded because of Bounded Accuracy and the less intensive need to optimize using feat trees and racial combos.
3. Well these people clearly have a strong resolve both in and out of a group so I think advantage against being Frightened is definitely an order. Additionally I would consider something like this instead of your current Frontline Fighter as not only is it limited it is a lesser feature out of the Sentinel feat. I don't like anything that discourages taking a good feat.
"When you would use the Help action on an ally within 5 feet of you. You can make a weapon attack as a bonus action," This incentivises some better general tactical and support choices by still allowing you to do some damage.

"Grounded" probably isn't the right word I'm using.

I like the Advantage against Frightened and the improved help action. I definitely think those would be good to have. But as for Frontline Fighter, this game won't have feats except as item effects or special quest rewards so I'm okay with giving a limited form of some feats as racial abilities where appropriate. And in Sentinel's case specifically it's such a good feat to where you'd take it anyway, even if part of it was a racial ability beforehand.

Amnoriath
2016-02-09, 11:18 PM
"Grounded" probably isn't the right word I'm using.

I like the Advantage against Frightened and the improved help action. I definitely think those would be good to have. But as for Frontline Fighter, this game won't have feats except as item effects or special quest rewards so I'm okay with giving a limited form of some feats as racial abilities where appropriate. And in Sentinel's case specifically it's such a good feat to where you'd take it anyway, even if part of it was a racial ability beforehand.

1. Well using the changes I suggest at most it puts it at 5.5(3 stats, 1 proficiencies, 1 at most tactical strike, .5 advantage fright.). So this is balanced against your Elf.
2. You see to me that is a very bad decision. Casters in this game need to stretch their stats because of not only weaker frames but also due to low save DC's and lack of item bonus support. This means feats do more of what they were suppose to do and that is give more personal choice to their strategy as well as utility particularly for those who don't have spells. Yes, technically you don't need them but it is a trade off and ultimately this choice hurts your non-casters far more.
3. In general I don't like overlap, especially in this game. Plus it should probably be said that the Disengage action avoids all opportunity attack during movement on their turn. So your ability actually can be easily circumvented by normal means.

Ninjadeadbeard
2016-02-10, 12:04 AM
1. Well using the changes I suggest at most it puts it at 5.5(3 stats, 1 proficiencies, 1 at most tactical strike, .5 advantage fright.). So this is balanced against your Elf.
2. You see to me that is a very bad decision. Casters in this game need to stretch their stats because of not only weaker frames but also due to low save DC's and lack of item bonus support. This means feats do more of what they were suppose to do and that is give more personal choice to their strategy as well as utility particularly for those who don't have spells. Yes, technically you don't need them but it is a trade off and ultimately this choice hurts your non-casters far more.
3. In general I don't like overlap, especially in this game. Plus it should probably be said that the Disengage action avoids all opportunity attack during movement on their turn. So your ability actually can be easily circumvented by normal means.

1. This is true. That said, I'm a bit torn. I like Frontline Fighter. I really do. I might just take your suggestion, keep the original feature as well, and then just bump the Elf up.

2. Feats are considered variant rules by the game itself, a lot of players I've talked to here seem to agree feats aren't all that necessary, and my own players are intrigued by feats as item-powers.

3. Overlap is an issue which should be looked at, but you are incorrect on Disengage. Frontline Fighter specifically says Disengage does not work.

Amnoriath
2016-02-10, 12:42 AM
1. This is true. That said, I'm a bit torn. I like Frontline Fighter. I really do. I might just take your suggestion, keep the original feature as well, and then just bump the Elf up.

2. Feats are considered variant rules by the game itself, a lot of players I've talked to here seem to agree feats aren't all that necessary, and my own players are intrigued by feats as item-powers.

3. Overlap is an issue which should be looked at, but you are incorrect on Disengage. Frontline Fighter specifically says Disengage does not work.

1. If you do I would suggest using the Chaos Sorcerer's level 1 feature without the Wild Magic surge. Perhaps the DM arbitrarily forcing disadvantage instead to recharge again before a long rest? This seems to fit the more chaotic and exotic version of your elves without making them more magical.
2. Yes, because it considers most things a variant rule. They would also suggest that you don't take them away for the reasons given. While it may be interesting having to make quests any time a person needs to fill out a strategy or be definitively different isn't good game design.
3. But your feature only engages at 5 feet not only can reach weapons as well as Large bipedal creatures ignore this but the only thing you included is that even if they use it adjacent to you. So due to action design they could use it before ever meeting you.

Ninjadeadbeard
2016-02-10, 01:16 AM
1. If you do I would suggest using the Chaos Sorcerer's level 1 feature without the Wild Magic surge. Perhaps the DM arbitrarily forcing disadvantage instead to recharge again before a long rest? This seems to fit the more chaotic and exotic version of your elves without making them more magical.

Chaotic and exotic? I'm not sure what you mean.

3. But your feature only engages at 5 feet not only can reach weapons as well as Large bipedal creatures ignore this but the only thing you included is that even if they use it adjacent to you. So due to action design they could use it before ever meeting you.

Now, I could have said, "Then reword as 'Always gets their OA, even if disengage or another ability or spell is used'", but I just had a thought. Replace Frontline Fighter with:

Opportunist: 1/rest add 1d6 damage to an opportunity attack. Increase by 1d6 at 6th, 11th, and 16th level.

Amnoriath
2016-02-11, 06:15 PM
Chaotic and exotic? I'm not sure what you mean.

Now, I could have said, "Then reword as 'Always gets their OA, even if disengage or another ability or spell is used'", but I just had a thought. Replace Frontline Fighter with:

Opportunist: 1/rest add 1d6 damage to an opportunity attack. Increase by 1d6 at 6th, 11th, and 16th level.

1. Maybe I am reading between the lines a little much. I read a few of the story entries as well and it seemed that with some of the lore of their pantheon is wildly different and bizzare. A couple of race reactions treat them as not so dependable but at the other in the stories they are able to pull off seemingly miraculous skill feats even though they aren't that deceptive. Though the first part could simply be the history. They also don't speak to me of either being a High Elf or a Wood Elf but almost a sort of Indian context.
2. You could but one of the things that have been bugging me about the race is that your fluff talks about how immovable and stalwart they are but they have no Strength bonuses, relevant advantage rolls, or even an Athletics proficiency. Personally I would have an ability like this instead.
"Stalwart Stance: If a creature would succeed in forcibly moving you or rendering you prone you can use your reaction to cease the effect. Additionally the next melee attack you make against them is made with advantage as long as it is done by the end of your next turn. You must complete a short or long rest."

Ninjadeadbeard
2016-02-17, 06:04 PM
Boy, you leave for a few days and your thread just tanks to the third page!

Ok, updated Aurelii will be in the OP soon. Here they are now:

Aurelii
+2 Str (2)
+1 Int (1)
Skill Prof: Religion (.5)
Toughness: +1 hp (1.5)
Advantage against Frightened (.5)
Imperial Weapon Training (prof with shortswords, javelins, shields) (.5)
Help Action in combat gives bonus action attack (1)
Total = 7

@PMAmnoriath: I hope the current build plays up more the stalwart defender routine I was going for. I eagerly await your opinion.

Amnoriath
2016-02-19, 12:20 AM
Looks much better, though I personally would value the total at 6.5. While Musicus rates toughness as a 1.5 to account for the better benefit of 2 points of constitution toughness only increases maximum health and doesn't add anything to hit die unlike constitution. So it is a 1 point feature to me.