PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Variant classes: Orc Druid, Wild Tracker, Feat Wizard PEACH / need suggestions etc..

tsj
2016-02-09, 08:57 AM
This variant is inspired by the druidic avenger and the rage mage prestige class

http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/unearthedCoreClass.html#druidic-avenger

the class is intended to be used only by an orc race that gains a racial rage ability
(the only one I know of is the orc race from the D20 warcraft books).

Orc Druid
The Orc Druid channels her inner fury to wreak vengeance upon those who injure the natural world.
This comes at a price, however, since the orc druid must give up some of her own sensitivity to nature.

In order to become an Orc Druid, you will need to
be an Orc with rage as a racial ability.

Class Skills
Add Intimidate to the orc druid's list of class skills. Eliminate Diplomacy from the orc druid's list of class skills.

CLASS FEATURES
The orc druid has all the standard druid class features, except as noted below.

Animal Companion
An orc druid does not gain the service of an animal companion.

Overcome Spell Failure (Ex)
An orc druid gains the ability to overcome spell failure, identical to that of a rage mage.

Angry Spell (Ex)
An orc druid gains angry spell, identical to that of a rage mage.
Except that it will work for all kinds of rage and frenzy as well as any similar abilities.

Spell Rage (Ex)
An orc druid can enter a spell rage, identical to that of a rage mage.
Except that it will work for all kinds of rage and frenzy as well as any similar abilities.
And an orc druid can use this ability once per day at 1st level,
and one additional time per day for every five levels above 1st.

An orc druid does not gain the greater rage, indomitable will, or mighty rage abilities.

Spontaneous Casting
An orc druid cannot channel stored spell energy into summoning spells.

Wild Empathy
An orc druid takes a -4 penalty on wild empathy checks.

------

barbarian variant: wild tracker

Sort of a more savage and more outdoorsie detective type of feral warrior...

This variant is inspired by the barbarian variants and the watch detective prestige class

TRACKER CLASS FEATURES
A barbarian dedicated to tracking does not gain the standard fast movement, uncanny dodge, Indomitable will, and improved uncanny dodge barbarian class features,

and instead gains the following abilities.

At 1st level, a tracker gains the Scent feat.
At 2nd level, a tracker gains the Track feat.
At 3rd level, a tracker gains the Profile (Ex) class feature. This functions as the watch detective class feature of the same name.
At 5th level, a tracker gains the Sense Secret Doors (Ex) as if he was an elf. If he is an elf then he instead gains +2 to all search rolls.
At 7th level, a tracker gains the Deductive augury (Sp) class feature. This functions as the watch detective class feature of the same name.

I am trying to decide if the Tracker should also lose the damage reduction granted by the barbarian class, since other variants
give up a number of abilities equal to those that are gained... but is for example track and scent so strong that they can each
varrent having to give up abilities?

brentcourtney
2016-02-10, 01:11 AM
I suggest you look at the Dark Sun prestige class Savage for the barbarian. I would probably just lay those abilities in the same progression on top of the normal class without the animal fighting abilities. If you stick with what you've got, I recommend taking the DR. Not for Scent or Track, but for what you do on conjunction with the other abilities you are adding. That's my two scents on that. [/pun]

As far as the orc is concerned, it looks alright. Might ease up the prerequisite of it having to be racially based unless you allow the Paragon levels from UA to count. Either way, seems pretty in line for 3.5 rules.

tsj
2016-02-10, 02:12 AM
I suggest you look at the Dark Sun prestige class Savage for the barbarian. I would probably just lay those abilities in the same progression on top of the normal class without the animal fighting abilities. If you stick with what you've got, I recommend taking the DR. Not for Scent or Track, but for what you do on conjunction with the other abilities you are adding. That's my two scents on that. [/pun]

As far as the orc is concerned, it looks alright. Might ease up the prerequisite of it having to be racially based unless you allow the Paragon levels from UA to count. Either way, seems pretty in line for 3.5 rules.

Ok thanks :)

I will take a look at the Savage PrC and see if it can offer something interesting :)

---

Hmm, I could make a racial rage feat, that could fill in the prerequisite, something like

Racial Rage [FEAT]

Regardless of your race, you have Orc blood in your family, this means that you quality for classes and
prestige classes that are normally reserved for Orcs. In addition, you gain a racial ability to rage.
This ability can be used once per day, stacks with rage from other sources and functions just
like the barbarian Rage class feature.

---

ok so this is what I've come up with atm...

the savage bloodhound, d12 HD, pure BAB, barbarian saves,
special abilities:

01) scent, track
02) determination, no subdual penalty
03) Profile, cleave
04) mark, Piercing strike (metal)
05) ready and waiting, power attack
06) Sense Secret Doors, fast tracking
07) pacekeeping, dead or alive
08) Deductive Argury, trackless step
09) improved subdual, move like the wind
10) shatter, traceless track
11) ignore scrying, restlessness
12) fracture, see invisibility
13) subdual resistance, locate creature
14) ignore magical barriers, hide in plain sight
15) ritual scarring +1, Piercing strike (adamantine)
16) honed instincts, find the path
17) ritual scarring +2, surpreme power attack
18) supreme cleave, bring it back alive
19) stealth walk, Swift takedown
20) roar of the wild, ritual scarring +3

charecters that already have some features that are gained in this class,
can instead select bonus feats in place of those features.

the class features are picked
from the following prestige classes

dark sun Savage PrC
dark sun Reaver PrC
MASTERS OF THE WILD Watch Detective PrC
MASTERS OF THE WILD Frenzied Berzerker PrC
MASTERS OF THE WILD Bloodhound PrC
MASTERS OF THE WILD Eye Of Gruumsh PrC
RACES OF THE WILD Wild Runner PrC

So its like a wild tracking detective sort of fella,
good at melee but no rage

a lot of the above PrCs seems to have a surprisingly high
amount of similar stuff going on...

I guess it would also be possible to make a Savage Detective Prestige class that
is like the dark sun savage prc but without the animal stuff like you mentioned:
animal fighting,
animal cunning +1,
animal cunning +2

and
with the following added in its place, as you suggested: track, Deductive Argury and Sense Secret Doors

-----

VARIANT...

FEAT WIZARD

Just the Simple Wizard variant, but with some extra options..

http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/unearthedCoreClass.html#simple-wizard

Wizard

A wizard is able to add sneak attack damage to
any spells that deals damage, since a damage
spell is treated like any other kind of
damage such as melee or ranged damage.

Wizard Variant...

Some wizards trade their knowledge of magic and craft to improve their combat prowess.

Gain

Bonus feat list (as fighter; bonus feats gained at 1st level and every five levels as wizard).

(Levels 1,2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20)

OR

Invocations like a warlock,
level 1 : Invocation (least) 1 Invocations known
level 2 : Invocation (least) 2 Invocations known
level 4 : Invocation (lesser) 3 Invocations known
level 6 : Invocation (lesser) 4 Invocations known
level 8 : Invocation (lesser) 5 Invocations known
level 10: Invocation (greater) 6 Invocations known
level 12: Invocation (greater) 7 Invocations known
level 14: Invocation (greater) 8 Invocations known
level 16: Invocation (dark) 9 Invocations known
level 18: Invocation (dark) 10 Invocations known
level 20: Invocation (dark) 11 Invocations known

you may gain up to 11 invocations OR 11 bonus feats OR a combination,
but no more than 11 in total when added up bonus feats and invocations...
You may not select breath attack, eldritch blast or any invocation that is related
to eldritch blast or breath attacks.

Lose

Scribe Scroll, wizard bonus feat list.

---

I consider invocations to be similar to feats, since a warlock can get an extra invocation by spending a feat.
Since a wizard is already able to trade Scribe Scroll and the wizard bonus feat list in order to gain 11 fighter feats,
it seems reasonable.

I am not sure what losing "wizard bonus feat list" is actually all about, I mean... does it mean that a wizard that looses this,
is unable to gain any feats that affects a wizards spellcasting ?