PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Samurai (Base Class) (PEACH)

LoyalPaladin
2016-02-09, 05:08 PM
Hello everybody. I had been working on this update to the samurai class for some time now, but I was finally bit by the bug to finish it today. Then another bug bit me to import it to GitP. Please give it a read over!

Samurai
Hit Die
d10

Requirements
Alignment: Any Lawful

Class Skills
The samurai’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (History) (Int), Knowledge (nobility and royalty) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
4 + Int modifier.

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Class Features

1st
+1+2+0+2
Servant of the Shogun, Weapon Style
2nd
+2+3+0+3
Aura of Defense
3rd
+3+3+1+3

4th
+4+4+1+4
Axiomatic Strike
5th
+5+4+1+4

6th
+6/+1+5+2+5
Improved Weapon Style
7th
+7/+2+5+2+5

8th
+8/+3+6+2+6
Great Armor Mobility
9th
+9/+4+6+3+6

10th
+10/+5+7+3+7
Armored Demon
11th
+11/+6/+1+7+3+7

12th
+12/+7/+2+8+4+8
Greater Weapon Style
13th
+13/+8/+3+8+4+8

14th
+14/+9/+4+9+4+9

15th
+15/+10/+5+9+5+9
Weapon of Conviction
16th
+16/+11/+6/+1+10+5+10

17th
+17/+12/+7/+2+11+5+11

18th
+18/+13/+8/+3+11+6+11
Master Weapon Style
19th
+19/+14/+9/+4+11+6+11

20th
+20/+15/+10/+5+12+6+12
Aspect of War

Class Features
All the following are class features of the samurai base class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
A samurai is proficient with all samurai weapons and with great armor, but not with shields.

Servant of the Shogun:
At 1st level, a samurai must swear his fealty to the shogun. Much like a samurai’s weapon is to him, the samurai is to the shogun. If the samurai ever ceases to serve his shogun, he becomes a ronin and adjusts his class features according to the section on ronin below.

Special Note: The samurai is given a tanto emblazoned with the shogun's crest, only to be used in the act of seppuku.

Weapon Style:
At 1st level, a samurai must select one of three weapon styles to pursue: Kenjutsu, Kyūjutsu, or Sōjutsu. This choice affects the character’s class features but does not restrict his selection of feats or special abilities in any way.

If a samurai selected Kenjutsu at 1st level, he is given a katana and learns the art of iaijutsu. If a samurai’s katana has not yet been drawn, he may draw his sword and make his first attack at the same time, provoking no attack of opportunity. This attack deals a number of d6 equal to ½ the samurai’s class level of slashing damage (minimum of 1d6).

If a samurai selected Kyūjutsu at 1st level, he is given a yumi bow and becomes a master at firing his bow. A samurai may make an additional attack at his highest attack bonus at the end of a full attack with a yumi bow. A samurai gains an additional attack at the next highest attack bonus for each iterative attack he gains.

If a samurai selected Sōjutsu at 1st level, he is given a yari and learns to become a versatile threat with his yari spear. A samurai threatens and takes no penalties to attack all areas within 15 feet of him, while wielding a spear.

Aura of Defense:
At 2nd level, a samurai radiants a strong axiomatic aura. He gains a morale bonus equal to his charisma modifier to AC.

Axiomatic Strike:
At 4th level, when wielding any samurai weapon, a samurai’s weapon gains the axiomatic enhancement.

Improved Weapon Style:
At 6th level, a samurai’s aptitude in his chosen weapon style (Kenjutsu, Kyūjutsu, or Sōjutsu) improves.

If a samurai selected Kenjutsu at 1st level, he may add 3 times his strength modifier to his weapon damage with his katana when he wields it in two hands.

If a samurai selected Kyūjutsu at 1st level, he learns to find the weak points in an enemy’s defense. All arrows fired from the samurai’s yumi bow bypass all damage reduction and hardness.

If a samurai selected Sōjutsu at 1st level, he learns to quickly deal with charging enemies. As an immediate action, a samurai can set his spear against a charging enemy.

Great Armor Mobility:
At 8th level, a samurai that is wearing great armor increases his armor bonus by 2, removes the armor’s movement penalty, and lessens the armor’s armor check penalty by 3.

Armored Demon:
At 10th level, a samurai radiates an intense aura of fear. All enemies within 30 feet of the samurai must make a will save (DC 10 + ½ the samurai’s class levels + the samurai’s charisma modifier) or become shaken. Any enemy who saves against this fear is immune to that samurai’s aura of fear for 24 hours.

Greater Weapon Style:
At 12th level, a samurai’s aptitude in his chosen weapon style (Kenjutsu, Kyūjutsu, or Sōjutsu) improves again.

If a samurai selected Kenjutsu at 1st level, he may forgo his iterative attacks and make a single strike against all adjacent targets at once. If this is his first attack before he draws his weapon, he may use his iaijutsu ability on this attack.

If a samurai selected Kyūjutsu at 1st level, he learns to take advantage of an opponent's weakness. A samurai can forgo his first attack to fire a warning shot past an enemy. Until that enemy has been killed or incapacitated, the samurai gains a +4 bonus to hit and confirm criticals on that enemy.

If a samurai selected Sōjutsu at 1st level, a samurai becomes the largest obstacle on the battlefield. All areas threatened by the samurai are treated as rough terrain and passing through them by any means provokes an attack of opportunity from the samurai.

Weapon of Conviction:
At 15th level, at the beginning of the day, a samurai may declare one type of creature he wishes to wage war against that day. For the rest of the day, all samurai weapons that the samurai wields are considered to have the bane enhancement against that type of creature.

Master Weapon Style:
At 18th level, a samurai’s aptitude in his chosen weapon style (Kenjutsu, Kyūjutsu, or Sōjutsu) reaches its pinnacle.

If a samurai selected Kenjutsu at 1st level, a samurai becomes the ultimate striker, able to split a mountain in twain. A samurai may forgo all of his iterative attacks to instead gain 5 times damage on his first attack with his katana. This damage can be multiplied by a critical hit.

If a samurai selected Kyūjutsu at 1st level, his accuracy becomes second to none. A samurai may fire his yumi bow against any enemy he has line of sight on and takes no penalty to hit them.

If a samurai selected Sōjutsu at 1st level, a samurai becomes the ultimate spearman. A samurai wielding a yari spear has no limits on how many attacks of opportunity he can make in any given round.

Aspect of War:
At 20th level, a samurai becomes a true master of the battlefield. Whenever a samurai rolls to attack, he rolls two d20’s and takes the higher result.

LoyalPaladin
2016-02-09, 05:09 PM
Ronin

Path of the Ronin:
When a samurai breaks his oath to serve his shogun, he becomes marked as a traitor and takes on the mantle of the ronin. A ronin may commit seppuku in the presence of his former shogun to restore his name to its former glory with this final act of honor.

A samurai who becomes a ronin replaces “Servant of the Shogun” with “Path of the Ronin”.

Anarchic Strike:
When wielding any samurai weapon, a samurai’s weapon gains the anarchic enhancement.

A samurai who becomes a ronin replaces “Axiomatic Strike” with “Anarchic Strike”.

Special Note:
A samurai is more than a type of warrior, it’s a way of life. A samurai who has become a ronin has lost his way and can no longer progress in the samurai class.

LoyalPaladin
2016-02-09, 05:10 PM
Samurai Weapons
All samurai weapons must be of the masterwork quality and have its cost factored into the weapon's cost.

Katana
Exotic Two-Handed Melee
Critical: 19-20/x2
Range Increment: -
Type: Slashing
Hardness:

Size
Cost
Damage
Weight
HP

Tiny
2352d21.5 lb.1
Small
3352d43 lb.2
Medium
3351d126 lb.5
Large
4352d1012 lb.10
Huge
5354d824 lb.20

Wakizashi
Exotic Light Melee
Critical: -/x2
Hardness:

Size
Cost
Damage
Weight
HP

Tiny
2101d2.5 lb1
Small
3101d41 lb.1
Medium
3101d62 lb.2
Large
4101d84 lb.4
Huge
5102d68 lb.6

Tanto
Exotic Light Melee
Critical: 18-20/x2
Hardness:

Size
Cost
Damage
Weight
HP

Tiny
----
Small
3021d2.5 lb1
Medium
3021d41 lb.2
Large
4021d62 lb.4
Huge
5021d84 lb.6

Yari
Exotic Two-Handed Melee
Critical: -/x3
Range Increment: 10ft
Type: Piercing
Hardness:

Size
Cost
Damage
Weight
HP

Tiny
2052d22 lb.2
Small
3052d44 lb.5
Medium
3052d68 lb.10
Large
4052d816 lb.20
Huge
5054d632 lb.40

A Yari has reach. You can strike opponents 10 feet away with it, but you can’t use it against an adjacent foe. If you use a ready action to set a yari against a charge, you deal double damage on a successful hit against a charging character.

Yumi Bow
Exotic Two-Handed Projectile
Critical: -/x3
Range Increment: 180ft
Type: Piercing
Hardness:

Size
Cost
Damage
Weight
HP

Tiny
3001d22 lb.1
Small
4001d44 lb.3
Medium
4002d46 lb.6
Large
5002d68 lb.12
Huge
6002d1010 lb.18

You need at least two hands to use a bow, regardless of its size. You can use a yumi bow while mounted. All yumi bows are made with a particular strength rating (that is, each requires a minimum Strength modifier to use with proficiency). If your Strength bonus is less than the strength rating of the yumi bow, you can’t effectively use it, so you take a –2 penalty on attacks with it. The default yumi bow requires a Strength modifier of +0 or higher to use with proficiency. A yumi bow can be made with a high strength rating to take advantage of an above-average Strength score; this feature allows you to add your Strength bonus to damage, up to the maximum bonus indicated for the bow. Each point of Strength bonus granted by the bow adds 100 gp to its cost.

Snowbluff
2016-02-09, 05:36 PM
.... It's nice for a two level dip.

I hate the term dead level, but half of these levels are dead.

If a samurai selected Kenjutsu at 1st level, a samurai becomes the ultimate striker, able to split a mountain in twain. A samurai may forgo all of his iterative attacks to instead gain 5 times damage on his first attack with his katana. This damage can be multiplied by a critical hit.
Also, of course it would multiply to x6. Nothing in the multiplication rules would suggest otherwise.

LoyalPaladin
2016-02-09, 05:51 PM
.... It's nice for a two level dip.

I hate the term dead level, but half of these levels are dead.
I'm working on a new "system" that this class will be a part of. Probably a feat every other level will be standard. But the classes should be on par. For now, balancing them against 3.5 is appropriate.

Also, of course it would multiply to x6. Nothing in the multiplication rules would suggest otherwise.
Maybe I wasn't clear, or maybe I don't understand you. By my logic, if you deal 2 damage, you multiply that by 5 for a total of 10 damage. Using a katana (x2 multiplier?) this could then be multiplied by a crit, dealing 20 damage. Does that make sense?

Snowbluff
2016-02-09, 05:58 PM
I'm working on a new "system" that this class will be a part of. Probably a feat every other level will be standard. But the classes should be on par. For now, balancing them against 3.5 is appropriate. It's balanced against the core 3.5, I'd say, but as far as later 3.5, it's less involved and less powerful.

Also, I nominate Beeseecher. And Monks powered by hate.

Maybe I wasn't clear, or maybe I don't understand you. By my logic, if you deal 2 damage, you multiply that by 5 for a total of 10 damage. Using a katana (x2 multiplier?) this could then be multiplied by a crit, dealing 20 damage. Does that make sense?
.-. Except that makes no sense for the game's logic and for the internal logic. The games treats multiplication as adding 100%. You can't properly optimized crits, since a katana is a bastard sword with limited crit options.

I will say that multiplying by 10 is easier than multiplying by 5.

Also, as an archer, I am offended by the level 6 bow user ability. Why would you give them something so useless to someone who can make bows work? Do you think them incompetent? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ViewersAreMorons)

LoyalPaladin
2016-02-09, 06:04 PM
It's balanced against the core 3.5, I'd say, but as far as later 3.5, it's less involved and less powerful.
Great. I'm going to try and cover a lot of archetypes with my upcoming classes. I've got incoming reworks of all the 3.5 core classes plus a few more. I've also got a boat load of prestige classes coming too. It might take me a little while to roll them all out, though.

.-. Except that makes no sense for the game's logic and for the internal logic. The games treats multiplication as adding 100%. You can't properly optimized crits, since a katana is a bastard sword with limited crit options.
How would you word it?

Also, as an archer, I am offended by the level 6 bow user ability. Why would you give them something so useless to someone who can make bows work? Do you think them incompetent? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ViewersAreMorons)
It's a free force enhancement and is 100% mundane. Not to mention you get it at level 6.

Snowbluff
2016-02-09, 06:10 PM
Great. I'm going to try and cover a lot of archetypes with my upcoming classes. I've got incoming reworks of all the 3.5 core classes plus a few more. I've also got a boat load of prestige classes coming too. It might take me a little while to roll them all out, though. I would suggest moving into 4e, 5e, or PF if you objective is to make the game less involved. 3.5e is at it's best when convoluted and royally messed up, and isn't really a good game otherwise.

How would you word it?

Well, if I didn't strangle myself with my own intestines after committing sepuku:

"[Blahs] can strike with decisive force. In place of his attacks in a full round action, the [Blah] can make a singular attack that deals quintuple damage. IF the attack is a confirmed crit, the attack does 10 times the damage instead of the x5 multiplier and the critical multiplier."

It's a free force enhancement and is 100% mundane. Not to mention you get it at level 6.
A proper archer carries the proper arrowheads and special materials. Getting around DR is actually already a strength of an archer. This doesn't really add anything for them. They could use another benefit to go with it. Maybe something that gives a bonus for properly identifying a creature's DR, and using the right ammunition.