PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Many Homebrew Spells for D&D 5e

Almir
2016-02-09, 07:17 PM
This is a set of spells I've been working on for almost a year now on and off, which I recently expanded. I've posted the list on other forums, but more feedback is always good, so here's the list: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BiTEs1FhoAXmmIyZsXHoP7Ly_lAshWdnWmFH_EeajH8/edit?usp=sharing (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7-D2abwyGv7QUxSWlg3Z1JzZTg/view?usp=sharing)

Current Version: 1.21
Last Update: 3/3/2016
Latest Changes: More Balancing

Almir
2016-02-09, 07:25 PM
Some Notes:

If you notice that some of these are actually ports from 3e, that's because they are. Some of them are also inspired from other sources such as video games, books, etc.

For the most part, I've tried to keep spell damage in line with what the DMG suggests for a new spell, so before anyone goes off about how a bunch of these spells are weaker than a similar-level FIREBALL, remember that fireball is actually as much as 25% stronger than what the DMG recommends for 3rd level spell (even if it is a more resisted type)

Similarly, some of these spells will deal damage like Acid or magical bludgeoning or Force, which almost nothing resists, so they'll do less on average than others.

Belac93
2016-02-09, 09:46 PM
Nice, I'll take a look through them, but do you think you could put the ones in each post in a spoiler? That would make it easier to read.

McNinja
2016-02-09, 10:02 PM
For a 9th level spell, soul lance is pretty weak. A 9th level Disintegrate spell does 19d6+40 force damage and if it reduces a creature to 0 hp it annihilates the creature. Meteor Swarm does 40d6 per creature in a 40 foot radius. Power Word: Kill instagibs anything with 150 HP or less. Soul lance will, on average, do half of that, and then half of that damage takes it's maximum HP down, which really shouldn't count for a whole lot because not many monsters can regenerate that quickly.

Likewise, absorption shouldn't be rolled by the DM, that just seems obtuse and I wouldn't use the spell because of that. The DM isn't casting the spell, I am. Even the most random tables in the game, the wand of wonder and the wild chaos sorcerer table, are rolled for by the player.

Almir
2016-02-09, 10:29 PM
For a 9th level spell, soul lance is pretty weak. A 9th level Disintegrate spell does 19d6+40 force damage and if it reduces a creature to 0 hp it annihilates the creature. Meteor Swarm does 40d6 per creature in a 40 foot radius. Power Word: Kill instagibs anything with 150 HP or less. Soul lance will, on average, do half of that, and then half of that damage takes it's maximum HP down, which really shouldn't count for a whole lot because not many monsters can regenerate that quickly.

Likewise, absorption shouldn't be rolled by the DM, that just seems obtuse and I wouldn't use the spell because of that. The DM isn't casting the spell, I am. Even the most random tables in the game, the wand of wonder and the wild chaos sorcerer table, are rolled for by the player.

I hadn't considered the DM roll section of it when porting it, I'll go ahead and change that now cause that does seem a little silly.

Nice, I'll take a look through them, but do you think you could put the ones in each post in a spoiler? That would make it easier to read.
I can give it a shot, shouldnt take too long

Almir
2016-02-09, 10:39 PM
Changes:
-Put some of the spells in spoilers (will have to do the rest tomorrow)
-Changed absorbtion to no longer call for a secrety DM roll
-Increased damage for Soul Lance from 20d6 (70) to 22d12 (143). About the same as Meteor Swarm, but less commonly resisted than Fire (if only just)

McNinja
2016-02-09, 11:07 PM
Changes:
-Put some of the spells in spoilers (will have to do the rest tomorrow)
-Changed absorbtion to no longer call for a secrety DM roll
-Increased damage for Soul Lance from 20d6 (70) to 22d12 (143). About the same as Meteor Swarm, but less commonly resisted than Fire (if only just)
Awesome! I'll check out the rest, although there are a lot lol.

MAL1CE
2016-02-10, 09:32 AM
I like these a lot. May I use some of them in my MTG expansion?

Almir
2016-02-10, 05:12 PM
I like these a lot. May I use some of them in my MTG expansion?
Sure! :) I would appreciate if you could include a link to the thread though, if you can.

MAL1CE
2016-02-11, 03:26 PM
Sure! :) I would appreciate if you could include a link to the thread though, if you can.

Can do! Thanks!

Almir
2016-02-18, 09:37 PM
I've changed the title slightly, and more importantly, made the list into a more easily accessible DOC format, now that I can post links. Many changes both large and small have been made since I last posted the list here, so take a look if you're interested.

Almir
2016-02-23, 11:03 PM
UPDATE:
v1.10 (2/23/2016) Class spell lists have been added to the front of the document, and I've added 24 new spells, mostly abjuration and divination, with plenty of bard spells to make up for the relative lack of them from before:
Cantrips: Dazzle, Push/Pull. Zen Archery
1st Level: Listening Coin
2nd Level: Angelskin, Awakening, Battle Hymn, Mantle of Faith
3rd Level: Arrow-ward, Last Word, War Cry, Whirling Wards
4th Level: Awareness, Forceward, Hammer of the Gods, Warmind
5th Level: Berserk, Normalize, Shadow-ward, Wall of Dispel Magic, Zone of Revelation
6th Level: Hindsight, Reave Magic, Solitude
Also removed the Veil spell, as it's just a useless copy of Seeming, which I just recently read. Removed more obsolete references to 3.x terminology.

Sima Shi
2016-02-27, 10:35 PM
This looks amazing. May playtest this if our GM will approve. :)

Almir
2016-02-29, 10:42 PM
UPDATED:
v1.20 (2/29/2016) Some class spell list changes, and some balancing fixes:

0-Level (Cantrips)
Removed: Lightning Lash, Push/Pull, Read Magic, Summon Instrument, Ethereal Shield, Ethereal Weapon.
Hand of Blight: name changed to Blightclaw
Earth Blast: Removed from Wizard list. Mechanic changed. Range reduced to 30. Now uses d6's instead of d4's
Ice Jet: Range increased to 90 feet.
Rainbow Bolt: Removed from Druid List, Added to Warlock and Bard lists. Added 2 additional damage types to the table to make it a d8 roll. Range increased to 90 feet.
Static Shock: Range changes to 60 feet, damage to initial target changed to 1d6 instead of 1d4.
Stonefist: Removed from Wizard list.
Vigor: Duration changes to 10 minutes, now includes CON mod in the THP
Zen Archery: Changed to Concentration.

1st Level
Removed: Arrowmind, Erase, Fire Arrow, Hush, Remove Fear, Scorching Burst, Searing Shot, Thunderous Shot, Ventriloquism, Wrathful Shot.
Armaments of the Forest: Language changed to specify that the weapons are magical for the purpose of defeating damage resistance. Duration increased to 10 minutes
Buoyancy: Removed Verbal component. Material component no longer consumed.
Explosion: Damage changed to 1d4+1 at 1st level, and slot level scaling has been changed to match it.
Listening Coin: Moved to 2nd level. Added concentration. Changed slot level scaling.
Sandblaster: Removed the blindness rider completely.
Searing Light: Now includes advantage for the attack roll against undeads and oozes. Now does half damage to undead/oozes on a miss instead of 2d6 additional damage. Slot level scaling has been changed to reflect this.
Snowshoes: Added to Wizard spell list. Range changed from Touch to 10 feet. Language changed to make it more useful in more situations. Added level scaling to affect more targets.
Summons: Moved to 6th level. Base CR changed to 3. Removed from Warlock spell list. Druid additional creature types changed from plant/monstrosity to plant/elemental (more changes will probably be needed)

2nd Level
Removed: Battering Ram, Branding Shot, Toxic Arrow.
Arrow of Light: Line length changed to 60 feet.
Astral Seal: Healing changed to 1d8 from 1d6.
Aura of Deflection: Added to Bard, Cleric spell lists.
Battle Hymn: Added to paladin spell list.
Binding Winds: Now only affects weapon attacks, melee attacks can be made but with disadvantage.
Creeping Cold: Material component no longer has GP requirement.
Chill Metal: No longer includes a clause about dropping worn armor.
Entangling Force: Duration changed to 1 Minute. Changed the automatic damage clause to no longer require action by the caster.
Ice Axe: Added to Ranger spell list.
Pull of the Abyss: Casting time changed to 1 Action. Slot level scaling slightly reduced.
Repel: Added save for creature impact damage, changed slot scaling text to be more accurate.

3rd Level
Removed: Blinding Shot, Tree Shape.
Acid Sheath: Casting Time changed to 1 action. Language changed to be more clear about when Acid damage is taken.
Aura of Repulsion: Duration changed to 10 minutes. Changed from Wisdom to Strength checks. Removed slot level scaling.
Cyclone Blast: Removed from Warlock spell list, added to Wizard spell list.
Supercharge: Language changed to make clear when the spell ends.

4th Level
Removed: Flamepath, Rimefire Arrow, Staggering Shot.
Absolution: Reduced slot level scaling from 10 to 5.
Aura of Evasion: Range reduced to 30 Feet (from 40).
Commune with Stone: Removed the Ritual tag.
Hammer of the Gods: AoE radius reduced to 15 feet (from 20)
Warmind: Added language that specifies the ending of the spell when you no longer are holding the bonded weapon.

5th Level
Removed: Banishing Shot, Earth Rupture, Shadow Evocation, Zealot's Fire.
Astral Shield: Casting Time changed from 1 Round to 1 Action
Mark of Justice: Removed section about the target being restrained.

6th Level
Removed: Darkflame Blast, Forcewave, Gembomb.
Frost Aura: Removed slot level scaling

7th Level
Removed: Ball Lightning.

8th Level
Removed: Drown.
Deep Freeze: Added clause about disadvantage on saving throws if vulnerable to Cold or made of water.

Princess
2016-03-01, 02:34 PM
Question - is the intention with Rainbow Bolt that you roll 2 separate dice, 1 for damage number and 1 for damage, type, or is it supposed to be one roll that applies to both at once?

Almir
2016-03-01, 09:29 PM
It's intended to have a separate roll for damage type.

Almir
2016-03-03, 07:58 PM
Another Update:
v1.21 (3/3/2016) Balancing (hopefully)
1st Level
Changed Buyoancy to a Reaction cast time.
Removed Sandblaster's now-obsolete blindness reference.
Added Searing Light to the Druid spell list.

2nd Level
Changed Angelskin's casting time to 1 Action. Reworded the damage disavantage to only affect melee damage. Added Radiant resistance.
Reduced Arc of Lightning's damage from 4d6 to 2d8. Changed slot level scaling to match. Removed from Druid spell list. Removed Reactiuon inhibition.
Reduced Arrow of Light's damage to 3d6. Changed scaling to match. Removed from Ranger spell list. Converted from attack roll to saving throw.
Removed Astral Seal.
Removed Aura of Deflection.
Removed Awakening.
Removed Battle Hymn.
Removed Binding Winds.
Changed the function of Creeping Cold.
Removed Chill Metal.
Removed the speed reduction function of Cold Snap. Reduced its damage to 3d6 (from 3d8)
Reduced the extra damage from Entangling Force and added a bonus action requirement. Changed the slot level scaling to specify a radius for targeting additional creatures.
Removed Glitterdust.
Changed the material component for Ice Axe. Removed from Ranger and Warlock spell lists.
Changed the speed reduction on Icy Rays from 100% to 10 feet.
Removed Mantle of Faith.
Changed some of the language for Rain-bow. Removed from Paladin and Ranger spell lists.
Removed Repel.
Removed Snap.
Changed the push from Waterspout to be limited to 15 feet. Reduced the damage at 2nd level, added damage scaling at higher slot levels.

3rd Level
Removed the control riders for Chill Strike, as well as reducing its damage scaling.
Removed Force Hammer form the Warlock spell list.
Added a clause to Frost Razors that specifies that unblooded creatures do not take damage from bleeding.
Reduced the damage from Thunderlance to 2d10 (from 2d12). Changed slot level scaling to match.
Reduced the damage absorption from Whirling Wards to 3 x SAM (from 5x)

4th Level
Reduced the damage form Chilling Cloud to 4d6 (from 5d6)
Removed the disadvantage clause from Darkfire's Breathe option. Changed the slot level scaling for Darkfire.
Reduced the overall damage and damage scaling for Dreadtheft.
Reduced the damage of Hammer of the Gods from 8d8 to 6d8.
Changed the function of Ice Armor.
Specified an AoE for Scintillating Sphere.
Reduced the AoE for Shout. Reduced Shout's starting damage and damage scaling. Removed the extended deafened duration for slot level scaling.
Reduced the AoE for Templar's Wrath. Changed the control rider into the frightened condition. Reduced the damage scaling for Templar's Wrath.
Removed Warmind from the Warlock spell list.

5th Level
Removed Aether Waves from the Paladin, Ranger, and Warlock spell lists. Added to Sorcerer spell list.
Removed Barrier form the Warlock spell list. Changed the shield generation to 6d10 (from 6d12)
Reduced Blindsight's duration from 1 hour to 10 minutes.
Removed Hailstones from the Ranger spell list.
Reduced the damage from Stonecrush's initial conjuring by 1d6. Changed the detonation damage to 6d8 (from 8d6) Now requires a bonus action to detonate early.
Reduced Shard Storm's AoE to a 10-foot radius (from 15) Fixed the range (is now 60)
Changed Thunderbolt to use d12's.

Xaphedo
2016-03-03, 11:32 PM
Buoyancy is an interesting idea, but it's way too specific for my taste. I can't see myself learning it in place of any of the spells in the PHB.

Here's my take on it, which I will personally be using in my games:

Lighten (Bard, Cleric, Druid, Wizard)
Transmutation cantrip

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Components: S, M (a pumice pebble)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

A creature or object you touch of size Large or smaller becomes much lighter. While its size and consistency remain unchanged, gravity pulls it downwards with half as much force as it usually would. If the target is a creature, everything it is wearing and carrying is also affected by the spell. Any item dropped by an affected creature returns to its normal weight at once.
The target has disadvantage on Dexterity checks, but it can jump twice as high, it gains resistance to fall damage, it floats when in water and any Strength (Athletics) checks it makes which are affected by gravity (such as climbing or doing a handstand) are made with advantage.

At Higher Levels. At 5th level, you can target a willing creature or unattended object you can see within a range of 60 feet. At 11th level, you may cast this spell on a total of five willing creatures or unattended objects you can see within a range of 60 feet. At 17th level, you can cast this spell as a reaction.

Edit: I just realized, this spell allows to create a perpetual motion machine, generating free kinetic energy on a massive scale. It's not like it'd be the first cantrip to do so (I'm looking at you shocking grasp), but it's very cool nonetheless.

arcane_asp
2016-03-04, 11:32 AM
Wow, genuinely very impressed with this spell list. I'm not familiar with 3e or PF spell lists so not sure which have come from there. Otherwise, this is an awesome addition to the spells in the PHB, will definitely make use of in our games if that's cool with you Almir?

Almir
2016-03-04, 04:11 PM
Wow, genuinely very impressed with this spell list. I'm not familiar with 3e or PF spell lists so not sure which have come from there. Otherwise, this is an awesome addition to the spells in the PHB, will definitely make use of in our games if that's cool with you Almir?
That's absolutely fine with me, that's why I share things like this :)

Leokii
2016-03-06, 03:26 PM
When I try this link, I get version 1.10. Is there a new link I'm missing? Thank you.

Almir
2016-03-06, 07:01 PM
The current version it has on the link is 1.20, I just hadn't updated the number at the top of the document. The 1.21 changes didnt save for some reason, so I'll reapply them as soon as I get the chance.

Almir
2016-03-08, 08:12 PM
Re-Update:

Fixed on the Google Drive version.
Same version, with 2 small changes:
Cold Snap and Arrow of Light have had their damage increased instead of decreased, and neither spell deals half damage on a successful save.

canary
2020-07-29, 11:37 AM
Apoligies for the necropost, but the link for the google doc does not work, if you have a newer one I would greatly appreciate you sending it to me.

Almir
2020-07-29, 03:24 PM
Ive updated the link, though ive not gone through and updated any spells in a very long time. It was mostly by sheer coincidence that I checked the right email just a few hours after your post, so lucky you! :)