PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Primal Path: Path of the Juggernaut [PEACH]

WarrentheHero
2016-02-10, 01:48 AM
Some Barbarians don't get the same satisfaction as others from the normal use of weapons. These Barbarians prefer the up-close-and-personal combat style that only one's fists can offer. These Barbarians become a blur of punches and kicks on the battlefield, chaining together attacks into devastating combos. These fighters build momentum in their offense, using the flow of battle to dictate that battle's outcome. For Juggernauts, building this flow is so natural that they can do so even through the haze of their Rage.

Close Quarters Combat
Beginning at 3rd level when you choose this Primal Path, you gain the following benefits while you are unarmed and you aren't wearing armor.

You can use Dexterity instead of Strength for the attack and damage rolls of your unarmed strikes.
You can roll a d4 in place of of the normal damage of your unarmed strike. This die increases to d6 at 6th level, d8 at 10th level, and d10 at 14th level.
When you use the Attack action to make an unarmed strike on your turn, you can make one unarmed strike as a bonus action.
Your unarmed strikes count as melee weapon attacks for the purposes of class features and feats.

Momentum
When you choose this Primal Path at 3rd level, you learn to keep pace with the flow of battle, using consecutive attacks to build Momentum. Whenever you hit with an unarmed strike, you gain a point of Momentum, to a maximum amount equal to your Barbarian level. Critical hits grant two points of Momentum instead of one. Whenever you take damage or roll a natural 1 on an attack roll, you lose a point of Momentum. If you ever end your turn without making an unarmed strike attack or moving closer to an opponent, you lose all Momentum. While you have Momentum, if you hit with an unarmed strike attack, you may expend Momentum to execute a Gambit. If a Gambit requires a DC for a saving throw, that DC is 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength or Dexterity modifier, whichever you used for the attack. A creature must possess a discernible anatomy in order to be effected by a Gambit. You do not gain Momentum from hits that you use Gambits on.

Unbreakable Flow
BEginning at 6th level, while you are Raging, your unarmed strikes count as magical for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction, and you do not lose Momentum the first time you take damage each round. Additionally, you gain 1 Momentum whenever a creature fails a saving throw required by one of your Gambits.

Brutal Momentum
At 10th level, your mastery of Momentum allows you to build it much quicker; the first hit you make with an unarmed strike each turn gives you an additional point of Momentum. Additionally, for every 5 points of Momentum you have, you gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls with unarmed strikes.

Instant Momentum
Whenever you roll Initiative, you gain 5 momentum.

Leg Sweep: The creature must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.
Head Clap: The creature cannot take reactions until the beginning of its next turn.
Arm Wrench: The creature suffers disadvantage on the next attack roll it makes before the end of its next turn.
Foot Stomp: The creature's speed is reduced by 10 feet until the end of its next turn.

Jaw Shot: The creature must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or be silenced until the end of your next turn.
Disarm: The creature must succeed on a Strength saving throw or drop one item of your choice that it is holding.
Slam: This Gambit can only be used on a creature you are currently grappling. You and that creature must both roll as though the creature was attempting to escape a grapple. If you are successful, you pick the creature up and slam them back on the ground, dealing your unarmed strike damage plus your Strength score as bludgeoning damage, and the creature is knocked prone. If the creature is successful, the grapple is not broken.
Elbow Drop: This Gambit can only be used on a creature that is prone. Your attack deals an additional d6 damage.

RKO: You must move at least 5 feet toward your target before using this Gambit. You and that creature must both roll as though you were attempting to grapple it. If you are successful, the creature takes 1d10 + your Strength modifier bludgeoning damage, and you are both knocked prone. This Gambit does not leave either you nor your target Grappled.
Solar Plexus: The creature must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or be stunned for 1 round.

Called Shot: Your attack does an additional d6 damage.
Knee Slam: The creature must succeed on a Constitution saving throw. If it fails, that creature cannot take bonus action or reactions until the end of its next turn.

Knee Break: The creature must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or else have its speed reduced by 10 feet. This speed can only be restored by a spell that restores hit points being used on the creature; if done this way the creature regains no hit points and instead regains their normal movement.
Elbow Snap:Choose one of the creature's arms. The creature must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or else be unable to wear shields in that arm and suffer disadvantage on attacks using that arm. This can only be restored by a spell that restores hit points being used on the creature; if done this way the creature regains no hit points and instead regains normal use of their arm.
Throw: Instead of dealing normal damage, you may throw the creature to an empty space, up to a number of feet away equal to your Strength modifier x 5. If that creature strikes a hard surface such a wall, they take 1d8 + your Strength modifier bludgeoning damage. If they land on hard ground or breakable objects such as wooden chairs or tables, they suffer 1d6 + your Strength modifier bludgeoning damage, and any breakable objects they collide with are broken. If they would collide with another creature, that other creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw. If they fail, both them and the thrown creature take 1d4 + your Strength modifier bludgeoning damage. If they are successful, the thrown creature continues on their path naturally.

Head Stomp: This Gambit can only be used on a creature that is prone. You may treat this hit as though it were a critical hit, and so add all bonus die or other relevant modifiers as normal for a critical hit.
Multi-Hit: This Gambit cannot be used on an attack made as an opportunity attack. You may immediately make another unarmed strike against the creature after this, as part of the same action or bonus action used for the triggering attack. This additional unarmed strike cannot be used for Gambits, but can gain Momentum as normal.

Improved Multi-Hit: As Multi-Hit, but you may make up to two additional unarmed strikes instead of one.
Eye Jab: The creature is blinded for 1d6 rounds.

This Primal Path is supposed to embody the ideal of a character who just really likes to hit things, without the meditative connotation normally associated with Monks. The early levels of the subclass aren't the strongest, and are basically similar to a Monk that can't use a stick. But their unarmed strike damage scales quicker than the Monk's and their use of Momentum and Gambits keep them viable as long as they can hit. A greedy Juggernaut should be able to have fun by only building one or two points of Momentum at a time and then burning it for a quick Gambit, but a patient Juggernaut who hoards their Momentum as they level and as they fight should be able to pull off some strong feats and/or nova well.

My biggest concern balance-wise is the Gambits. Any of them can be used as long as you have enough Momentum to burn as soon as you hit with an unarmed strike. Also, they could be used repeatedly. So the balance issue comes from the fact that they have these benefits they can keep creating and keep using, so nothing should be immensely powerful, as it can be used again and again. At the same time, high-point Gambits need to feel rewarding for the player who was able to save up enough for them.

Right now I only have Gambits up through 7 points, meaning a Juggernaut has access to all of their Gambits at Barbarian level 7. This works okay for me, even if does front-load the class somewhat, as it means that the 'big deal' Gambits don't require a Juggernaut to use very little or no Momentum as they save up points. At the same time, front-loading a subclass means that players may feel disappointed with the later levels, as they don't get as much 'shiny new' stuff to play around with. I considered hardcoding level-gates for the Gambits (i.e. you get some Gambits at 3rd, some at 6th, etc) but I feel like that makes redundant restrictions with both the point-requirements of Gambits and with hardcode gates. So the question of 'maximum point cost for Gambits' is a bit up in the air.

Thanks for reading and, as always, any suggestions are welcome!

Ralanr
2016-02-11, 03:58 PM
I don't think juggernaut is the right word.

Eldritch Memes
2016-02-11, 04:58 PM

My sentiments exactly, I was thinking maybe pit brawler or something along those lines.

As a suggestion for the class itself besides naming, maybe spread out the gambits to every other level? 1 point gambits at 3, 2 pointers at 5, et cetera.

WarrentheHero
2016-02-11, 06:36 PM

My sentiments exactly, I was thinking maybe pit brawler or something along those lines.

The idea here is that this subclass is constantly in Motion; they don't stop moving. The Gambits are just extensions of that motion. While "juggernaut" has a few different connotations, I've always seen it as something momentous, something that can't be stopped, like the Juggernaut from the X-Men.

As a suggestion for the class itself besides naming, maybe spread out the gambits to every other level? 1 point gambits at 3, 2 pointers at 5, et cetera.
The bambits are inherently level-gated, since your maximum Momentum is your Barbarian level. So you can't do 4-point Gambits unless you're level 4.

Talamare
2016-02-11, 06:43 PM
My critiques
-That is WAY too many options
-A Dex Barbarian? You disgust me sir!
-You encourage he fights like a coward, not wanting to get hit

Suggestion
Level 3 - Brutal Fists
-You can roll a d4 in place of of the normal damage of your unarmed strike. This die increases to d6 at 6th Barbarian level, d8 at 10th Barbarian level, and d10 at 14th Barbarian level.
-While Raging, your unarmed strikes receive additional damage equal to your Rage Damage. (Note this isn't double dipping, because Unarmed Strikes aren't weapons)

Level 3 - Brutality
-While Raging, after you take damage from an attack by an opponent, when you hit with an unarmed strike, you gain a point of Brutality, to a maximum equal to your CON modifier. Critical hits grant an additional point of Brutality. You lose all points of Brutality if your Rage ends.

-You can spend 2 points of Brutality to deal an additional die of damage equal to your Brutal Fists.

Level 6 - Gut-Wrenching Fists
-When you attack a creature concentrating on a spell, you deal an additional die of damage equal to your Brutal Fists. In addition, while you are Raging, your unarmed strikes count as magical for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Level 10 - Bloodthrist
-When you enter a Rage you gain Brutality equal to your STR modifier. While Raging, when you gain a stack of Brutality, you regain 1d4 hit points.

Level 14 - No clue

Either way, I am incredibly biased towards my suggestion. But I find it simpler and cleaner version while still providing interesting gameplay