PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Paladin Oath (Subclass) "Oath of Annulment"

Almir
2016-02-10, 08:21 PM
So basically I'm trying to make an anti-magic paladin subclass (think DA templars), with bonuses against elementals and aberrations as well as spellcasters (hence the additional feature in the beginning). I've got most of it pretty much worked out, I could jsut use some feedback on balance and flavour. Any feedback on the subclass, the capstone in particular, would be appreciated. The spells mentioned in the oath spells that arent on the original spells list are from my collection of homebrewed ones that I've posted on this forum already (I made copies here though). I've included alternate spells to be used if you arent into the ones found there (notated in parentheses).

Oath of Annulment

Eldritch Sense
Beginning when you take this oath at 3rd level, any time you use your Divine Sense, you can detect elementals and aberrations in addition to celestials, fiends, and undead. Your Divine Smite deals an extra 1d8 damage to these creatures, as well as any creature capable of casting at least one spell (If a creature is an elemental/fiend/undead/aberration that can cast spells, it still only takes a single bonus 1d8).

Oath Spells
Level Spells
3rd detect magic, shield
5th silence, nystul's magic aura
9th counterspell, remove curse
13th backfire (elemental bane), banishment
17th dispel evil and good, mind fog (circle of power)

Channel Divinity
When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following Channel Divinity options:
Abjure Magic You can use your Channel Divinity to cleanse an area of hostile magic. As an action, you can dispel negative magical effects from allies, and positive effects from enemies. Make a Charisma ability check for each spell effect of up to 6 creatures within 20 feet of you, starting with the ones closest to you (the DC is 10 + the spell's level). On a success, that effect is ended. You can only dispel one effect on any given creature with a single use of this ability.
Turn the Arcane As an action, you present your holy symbol, and each elemental or aberration within 30 feet of you that can hear you must make a Wisdom saving throw. If the creature fails its saving throw it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes damage. If the creature is native to a plane other than the one you are on and it fails its saving throw by 8 or more, it is instead banished for 1 minute.

Aura of Warding
Beginning at 7th level, you grant yourself and any allies within 10 feet of you resistance to damage from spells. At 18th level the range of this aura increases to 30 feet. You must be conscious to grant this bonus.

Spellbreaker
Beginning at 15th level, when you make an ability check to dispel a magical effect with your Channel Divinity, or with the dispel magic or counterspell spells, you can add your proficiency bonus to the check. Also, when you use your Divine Smite on a creature that is concentrating on a spell, it must make a Constitution saving throw against your spellcasting DC (in addition to the saving throw against the damage, if applicable). On a failure, its concentration is broken.

Antimagic Aura
At 20th level, as an action, you can emanate an aura of antimagic energy that extends up to 30 feet away from yourself (You can choose to project a smaller aura, but once you choose you can't change it until you use this ability again). For 1 minute, the following effects apply:
- If a spell is cast within the area, you can suppress it with your reaction. A suppressed spell has its duration halved (if applicable). Any saving throws made against a suppressed spell have advantage. If the spell calls for an attack roll(s), the roll(s) have disadvantage.
- Any damage dealt by spells cast inside the area is reduced by half, as is any healing.
- Elementals and Aberrations in the area have their speed reduced by half.

Backfire
4th Level Transmutation
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 30 Feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 Minute
Choose a creature you can see within range. The next time it casts a spell, it must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failure, it takes Necrotic damage equal to 1d10 times the spell's level, and the spell fails (the spell slot is still consumed), and this spell ends. On a success, it takes only half as much damage and the spell does not fail. A creature is unaware it has been affected by magic, both before and after attempting to cast a spell, unless it either succeeds on an Intelligence (Arcana) check vs your spell save DC, or has some way of sensing magic, such as the detect magic spell.

Mind Fog
5th Level Enchantment
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 60 Feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 Minute
You create a 20 foot radius sphere of thin blue vapors centered on a point you choose within range. The vapors spread around corners. It lasts for the duration or until strong wind disperses them, ending the spell. Its area is lightly obscured. Creatures in to fog's area have disadvantage on Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma save and checks and must make a Constitution saving throw to be able to cast a spell, as well as make the throw at the beginning of its turn if it is concentrating on one, as the magic clouds the creature's mind.

Again, any input would be helpful, thanks