PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Force Mage (Wizard Tradition)

Almir
2016-02-11, 12:08 AM
I've been working on the skeleton of a new Wizard subclass, the Force Mage, and am looking for feedback. Basically supposed to be a kinetic energy manipulator/ force damage spellcaster. Here's what I've got so far:

Expanded Spell Knowledge: Force
When you choose this tradition at 2nd level, and at every other level afterwards, you can add one spell from the Force Mage spell list (found below) to your spellbook. These spells do not count against the amount you normally add at that level.

Mage Hand Proficiency
Beginning at 2nd level, you learn the mage hand cantrip if you do not already know it. When you cast mage hand, you gain the following benefits:
- The hand can lift an amount of weight equal to 10 times your Intelligence modifier in pounds.
- You can attempt to Grapple a creature with the hand, using an Intelligence (Athletics) check instead of Strength (Athletics). When you move the hand, and creature grappled by it moves with it. The hand cannot perform any other tasks until it releases the creature or the creature escapes. The hand can only grapple creatures of Medium size or smaller.
-You can use the hand to deliver spells with a range of Touch. If you do so, the hand cannot perform any other tasks that round.

Stability
At 6th level, you gain resistance to Force damage, and become immune to being knocked down or moved against your will. You also gain proficiency in Strength saving throws.

Improved Spell Capacity: Force
Starting at 10th level, you can prepare one additional spell, as long as that spell is on the Force Mage spell list. At 18th level, you can prepare one more spell in this manner, for a total of two. These spells do not count against your total number of spells prepared.

Force Master
At 14th level, you become immune to Force damage. When you cast a spell on the Force Mage spell list using a spell slot, you can regain one expended spell slot. The slot you recover must be at least two levels lower than the one expended, and can't be higher than 5th level. For example, if you cast wall of force using a 5th-level spell slot, you can recover an expended slot of 3rd level or lower. You can recover spell slots in this manner a number of times equal to your Intelligence modifier. You regain expended uses when you complete a long rest.

Force Mage Spell List (Includes some homebrew spells (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?477977-142-New-Homebrew-Spells-for-D-amp-D-5e)):
1st
Catapult
Feather Fall
Jump
Mage Armor
Magic Missile
Shield
2nd
Battering Ram
Entangling Force
Hold Person
Levitate
Pull of the Abyss
Repel
3rd
Aura of Repulsion
Force Hammer
Fly
Leomund's Tiny Hut
Slow
4th
Freedom of Movement
Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound
Otiluke's Resilient Sphere
5th
Barrier
Bigby's Hand
Telekinesis
Wall of Force
6th
Disintegrate
Forcewave
7th
Forcecage
Gravity Warp
8th
Arcane Singularity
9th
Prismatic Wall

manny2510
2016-02-11, 09:57 AM
Thematically this is more like a sorcerer archetype. You are missing the wizard spell cost reduction ribbon. Mage hand takes away from the Arcane Trickster archetype, so I'd replace that by having 1/long rest as a reaction you can cast Bigby's hand only for it's interposing effect, changing the duration to 1 round.

Almir
2016-02-11, 10:19 AM
Thematically I think it could go either way, especially since WotC's inclusion of the Bladesinger tradition. It was originally intended as a Sorc type, but I didn't see a way to include it as an Origin. It's always felt more like a discipline you learn, rather than something you're born with.

The Expended spell knowledge was meant to replace the spell cost ribbon, since this one doesn't deal with a single school. It gives more spells in the spellbook as you level, but doesn't reduce the cost of adding any from scrolls etc.

I designed the mage hand feature to not include any of the things that the AT lets it do (be invisible, pickpocketing, using thieves tools, etc), making it physically stronger instead of more subtle. I'll go ahead and take off the bonus action to control though, since the AT says it uses the cunning action anyway.

I had no idea bigby's hand was even in 5e, I have no idea how I even missed it when I was looking specifically for Force-themed spells ._. I'll have to reconsider the Mage hand feature knowing that this functionality already exists as a spell.

manny2510
2016-02-11, 11:55 AM
In general expanding a spell list is a powerful feature. The only way a wizard may do this is by casting wish to reproduce a lower level spell or taking the magic initiate feat.

Almir
2016-02-11, 06:56 PM
In general expanding a spell list is a powerful feature. The only way a wizard may do this is by casting wish to reproduce a lower level spell or taking the magic initiate feat.

I think there might be one or two on there that aren't Wizard spells, but most of them already are. The list is only to specify which subset of the wizard list can be used with the features.