PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next CR 12 Boss Monster: The Oathbreaker [PEACH]

Gastronomie
2016-02-11, 11:37 PM
Random Oathbreaker based off MM Death Knight, for campaigns of lower level. He has some abilities of the original DMG Oathbreaker, making him suited as the general of a zombie or fiend army. Also has a necrotic version of Divine Smite, as well as the "Aura of Protection"...except it affects only himself, firstly because it's otherwise overpowered, and secondly because it fits his "selfish" theme.

BTW the "Madness Smite" thing is there because, in my head, he's going insane after becoming bloodied.

The Oathbreaker
Medium Humanoid (any race), any evil alignment
Hit Points: 152 (16d8+80)
Speed: 30ft
AC: 17
Str 18 (+4) Dex 11 (+0) Con 20 (+5)
Int 12 (+1) Wis 15 (+2) Cha 17 (+3)
Saves: Strength+11, Dexterity+3, Constitution+12, Intellect+4, Wisdom+9, Charisma+10
Skills: Any skills the DM feels appropriate
Damage Resistance: necrotic, poison, damage from nonmagical weapons
Condition Immunities: charmed, frightened, poisoned
Senses: Passive Perception 17, darkvision 60 feet
Languages: Abyssal, Common, Infernal
Challenge Rating: 12 (8400 XP)
Aura of Hate. Any fiends and undead within 30 feet of the Oathbreaker gains a +4 bonus to melee weapon damage rolls. A creature can benefit from this feature from only one Oathbreaker at a time.
Diabolic Smite. When the Oathbreaker hits a creature with a melee weapon attack, he can expend one paladin spell slot to deal necrotic damage to the target, in addition to the weapon's damage. The extra damage is 2d8 for a 1st-level spell slot, plus 1d8 for each spell level higher than 1st, to a maximum of 5d8. The damage increases by 1d8 if the target is a Celestial or a Good Humanoid.
Madness. When the Oathbreaker’s HP cuts 75 due to damage, or when the Oathbreaker with under 75 HP takes damage, the Oathbreaker immediately makes a Longsword attack against the creature who inflicted the damage, without using his reaction. The Oathbreaker can attack each creature only up to once per round with this ability. Once the Oathbreaker uses this ability even for once, he takes a (non-cumulative) -3 penalty to his AC, until he takes a long rest.
Spellcasting. The Oathbreaker is a 18th-level spellcaster. His spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 15, +7 to hit with spell attacks). The Oathbreaker has the following spells prepared:
1st level (4 slots): command, searing smite, hellish rebuke
2nd level (3 slots): crown of madness, hold person
3rd level (3 slots): dispel magic, bestow curse
4th level (3 slots): banishment, staggering smite
5th level (1 slot): destructive wave

Actions
Multiattack. The Oathbreaker makes two longsword attacks.
Longsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft. , one target.
Hit: 9 (1d10+4) slashing damage plus 13 (3d8) necrotic damage.

Comments and constructive critisism greatly appreciated.

PoeticDwarf
2016-02-13, 05:21 AM
I really like it. Stats seem too high, even assassins or (arch)mages don't come really close, humanoids just don't have these. Maybe 17/18 con and 19str. You could instead of +4 say cha mod (min 1) because a feeblemind or something can target this creature and the bonus would be the same. Any non-good alingment would make more sense and madness smite is too weak and would be a bad choice.
I think this is really nice, though. Just saw some minor things and they don't really need a fix. More stuff I'd personally

Edit: one thing isn't as little as the above, hellish rebuke is not a level 2 spell and this should be changed

Another nicely made monster!

Gastronomie
2016-02-15, 05:08 AM
Thanks for the feedback~

Well, I think it needs about this much HP for it to be a frontline fighter though. But true about stats.
Lowered his STR to 18 (from 20) and CHA to 17 (from 18). Also changed how his madness works.

Better now?