PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Oath of the Dragon-Dracoknight as a Paladin Subclass

JNAProductions
2016-02-14, 10:34 PM
Tenets of the Dragon
Be Mighty and Proud-A Dragon is strong and powerful, and should always display themselves as such.
Create-A Dragon is a being of life and vivacity, and so should create far more than they destroy.
Gain Treasure-Dragons are the true owners of treasures great and small, and it is your duty to amass a hoard.
Control the Subservient-Dragons are the true rulers of the lands, and so should control the lesser races.

Be mighty and proud, duh.

Create is there for Dracoknight, since he's always making quality homebrew.

Gain treasure could either be to safeguard it for the ages, for metallic/good dragons, or to be greedy and consuming, for chromatic.

Control the subservient is also possible for metallic/good dragons-shelter them and nurture them under your care. Just abuse them and wring the life from them for chromatic.

Oath Spells

Level
Spells

3rd
Burning Hands, Chromatic Orb

5th
Levitate, Scorching Ray

9th
Fly, Fireball

13th
Ice Storm, Wall of Fire

17th
Cone of Cold, Dominate Person

Special: Any spell that deals elemental damage, when cast by an Oath of the Dragon Paladin, may replace its default element with acid, lightning, fire, poison, or cold damage.

Draconic-At level 3, when you take this oath, you learn the mightiest and purest of all languages-Draconic.

Channel Divinity-When you take this Oath at 3rd level, you gain two options for Channel Divinity.

Awe of a Dragon-As an action, you can awe your foes. All enemies within 30' must make a Wisdom saving throw against your Spell DC or cower in awe, gaining disadvantage on any attacks and granting advantage to any attackers until the start of your next turn.

Draconic Form-As a bonus action, you can assume a Draconic form for one minute. This form grants you natural armor that either increases your AC by 1 or makes your AC 14+Dexterity modifier, whichever is higher, for one minute. In addition, while in Draconic Form, you have advantage on saving throws against anything that causes fear and on physical saving throws against spells.

Aura of Might-Beginning at 7th level, you have such the strength of a dragon that nearby allies can draw on it. You may increase any physical stat by 2, to a maximum of 30, while you are conscious, as can any ally within 10' of you.

At 18th level, this aura extends to 30'.

Dragon's Breath-Starting at 15th level, you may breathe an elemental weapon as a dragon would. Charisma modifier times per short rest, you may breathe in a 30' cone or 60' line as an action, dealing 5d6 acid, lightning, fire, poison, or cold damage, with half damage on a successful Dexterity saving throw using your spell saving throw DC.

True Draconic Form-At 20th level, once per long rest, you can turn into any color of adult dragon for one minute as a Druid's Wildshape form.

DracoKnight
2016-02-15, 02:48 AM
This is really cool! :smallbiggrin:

I am honestly honored and this made my day :smallsmile:

PoeticDwarf
2016-02-15, 02:41 PM
The level 20 feature now isn't clear (like wildshale) and OP because as written now this is at will

Aura of might at written means only you get the stat increase but on the other side the fluff says others do. This feature is also too strong and should be toned down, the only not nova but also the strongest...

I think this is just dragon and not knight, and personally I don't really like it

JNAProductions
2016-02-15, 03:15 PM
The level 20 feature now isn't clear (like wildshale) and OP because as written now this is at will

Aura of might at written means only you get the stat increase but on the other side the fluff says others do. This feature is also too strong and should be toned down, the only not nova but also the strongest...

I think this is just dragon and not knight, and personally I don't really like it

Added once per long rest and "as Druid Wildshape" to the capstone. That is my mistake entirely.

Aura of Might applies to allies.

as can any ally within 10' of you.

Pertinent quote. And why do you feel it's overpowered? It's either a +1 HP per level, or +1 to attack and damage for physical fighters. That's... Not exactly gamebreaking, or at least I don't feel it is.

I do agree, it focuses mostly on the dragon bit (it is, after all, the Oath of the Dragon, not the Dragon Knight). What do you dislike about it, and what could be done to improve it?

PoeticDwarf
2016-02-16, 01:29 AM
I can't believe I missed that. I read over it three times. With one ally I think it's OK, I thought you meant all allies but I missed it so that's my mistake.

Other stuff sounds nice now.

To improve it, but this is more my opinion, could you replace the breath weapon for something as better cha checks to dragons and an ability to ride dragons as a boss. Don't know if this works. It's as oath of the dragon now really nice

JNAProductions
2016-02-16, 01:45 PM
It is all allies... Within 10'. Just like every other Paladin aura. So yes, you can affect the entire party, but that also makes you a prime target for any AoE spell or attack.

And I think the Channel Divinity nicely covers the Frightening part of the dragon. It'd be remiss to not include a breath weapon-you're emulating a dragon, are you not?

PoeticDwarf
2016-02-16, 02:51 PM
It is all allies... Within 10'. Just like every other Paladin aura. So yes, you can affect the entire party, but that also makes you a prime target for any AoE spell or attack.

And I think the Channel Divinity nicely covers the Frightening part of the dragon. It'd be remiss to not include a breath weapon-you're emulating a dragon, are you not?
Can't believe I did it again. I thought it was an ally instead of any ally. I think it's too strong. As an aura too much especially in parties with 2 other melee fighters (or more). Sorry for my feedback before on this, and begore that.

About the breath weapon. It fits fluff but it's just... the only it does. Giving the paladin this isn't OP but it doesn't add much.

JNAProductions
2016-02-16, 04:32 PM
Can't believe I did it again. I thought it was an ally instead of any ally. I think it's too strong. As an aura too much especially in parties with 2 other melee fighters (or more). Sorry for my feedback before on this, and begore that.

About the breath weapon. It fits fluff but it's just... the only it does. Giving the paladin this isn't OP but it doesn't add much.

It's +1 to attack and damage (and possibly AC) or +1 HP per level. I don't feel that's overpowered. If you can find some numbers saying it is, I'll listen, but simply reiterating it feels overpowered doesn't make me believe it.

And the breath weapon adds a useful AoE ability, something Paladins typically lack. Seems good to me.

JBPuffin
2016-02-16, 11:55 PM
I'm pretty sure that since it's a paladin class, the knight bit is already there...Seems fun.

GanonBoar
2016-02-17, 04:53 AM
I really like this subclass, but I think the breath weapon is a bit unclear.

Dragon's Breath-Starting at 15th level, you may breathe an elemental weapon as a dragon would. Charisma modifier times per short rest, you may breathe in a 30' cone or 60' line as an action, dealing 5d6 acid, lightning, fire, poison, or cold damage, with half damage on a successful saving throw.

What's the save DC? Is it spell save? Or does the 'as a dragon would' mean you use a dragon's DC? If so, which type? Also, what save is it? You never mention which stat you use for the save.

EDIT: Also, I think there should be an extra buff if you're a Dragonborn, since you already have a breath weapon. I think if you should add that if you already have a breath weapon from another source, it deals 5d8 damage instead? Or maybe you can add Charisma mod to damage? I don't know, it's up to you.

JNAProductions
2016-02-17, 10:45 AM
Uses your spell save DC. Sorry if that's not clear.

And your advantage for being Dragonborn is you get another breath attack.

GanonBoar
2016-02-17, 11:37 AM
Uses your spell save DC. Sorry if that's not clear.

And your advantage for being Dragonborn is you get another breath attack.
You still didn't say what kind of save it is.

EDIT: And if anything, the Breath Weapon should be 4d6 damage. Dragonborn don't get their breath weapon to 5d6 until level 16, not 15. At this point, you're literally taking the only dragonborn feature worth mentioning and making it better. Although Dragonborn stats and fluff both fit this archetype, no one will use a dragonborn for this because it makes almost all your racial features redundant.

JNAProductions
2016-02-17, 12:44 PM
I copied the Dragonborn's breath weapon, but didn't want to make it so literally one level later it improves, so I left it at the highest degree.

And Dragonborn still have great stats for this build, elemental resistance, and an extra breath weapon. That's not nothing.

Edit: Dexterity saving throw. Added that in. Thank you for pointing it out.

GanonBoar
2016-02-17, 01:59 PM
Cool. One last thing though-I honestly feel like they should get the Draconic language as a class feature. Makes a whole lot of sense for this class.

JNAProductions
2016-02-17, 02:00 PM
That's an excellent point. Added in.

PoeticDwarf
2016-02-17, 02:42 PM
Con mod / day and 8+prof bonus + con mod would probably be betger for the breath weapon. Logical, fits better and cha barely makes sense

JNAProductions
2016-02-17, 02:52 PM
This is a Paladin Oath, not a racial ability. Charisma makes sense for a Paladin.