PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Oriental Low-Level Monsters: The Gaki and its variants (1 CR 1/4, 2 CR 1s and 1 CR2)

Gastronomie
2016-02-14, 11:38 PM
More monsters for oriental campaigns. Some stuff that would fill the Goblin/Kobolds gap in oriental adventures.

http://blog.hix05.com/blog/Photo2012b/120812.gaki.jpg

Gaki
The Gaki, or Preta, are the vile and miserable remnants of those who were greedy and corrupted in their former human lives. With arms like bone and empty inflated stomachs, they dwell about in the darkness and the wastelands, wandering about aimlessly in search of food and water. However, they can never hope to obtain what they wish – for any food they bring to their mouths burst into flame, and any water they attempt to drink turns into sand.
Shades of Sin. There are said to be thirty-six types of Gaki in total, depending on the souls’ past-life karma. Here, the data for three of them are given as examples:
The Kakushin is a soul who killed animals for amusement and never felt regret. He has no eyes or mouth, and has a bloated gigantic body with long arms and legs. His entire body is constantly bursting into flame.
The Shinkou is a soul who never helped the poor and the suffering despite being able to do so, due to selfishness and stinginess. He has a mouth full of needles, a huge belly, breaths fire, and is constantly surrounded by poisonous bugs.
The Rasetsu is a soul who deceived and tormented others by selling little food for high prices, while holding banquets using the money he gained from the poor. He prays upon humans in dark alleyways, first making them hallucinate and then attempting to devour them.

Gaki
Medium Fiend (Spirit/Yokai), Neutral Evil
Hit Points: 11 (2d8+2)
Speed: 25 feet
AC: 14
Str 8 (-1) Dex 10 (+0) Con 12 (+1)
Int 6 (-2) Wis 8 (-1) Cha 4 (-3)
Damage Vulnerabilities: fire, cold
Senses: Passive Perception 9, darkvision 60 feet
Languages: Understands Common but can only wail and moan
Challenge Rating: 1/4 (50 XP)

Actions
Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5ft, one target
Hit: 3 (1d6) slashing damage. The target must succeed on a DC 10 Constitution saving throw or become poisoned. While poisoned in this way, the target takes 3 (1d6) poison damage at the start of each of its turns. The poisoned target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Gaki Kakushin
Large Fiend (Spirit/Yokai), Neutral Evil
Hit Points: 24 (3d10+9)
Speed: 40 feet
Str 14 (+2) Dex 6 (-2) Con 16 (+3)
Damage Vulnerabilities: cold
Damage Resistances: fire
Senses: Passive Perception 9, blindsight 60 feet
Challenge Rating: 1 (200 XP)
Aflame. At the start of each of the Kakushin's turns , each creature within 5 feet of it takes 3 (1d6) fire damage, and flammable objects in the aura that aren't being worn or carried ignite. A creature that touches the Kakushin or hits it with a melee attack while within 5 feet of it takes 3 (1d6) fire damage.

Actions
Piercing Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5ft, one target
Hit: 6 (1d8+2) piercing damage. The target must succeed on a DC 11 Constitution saving throw or become poisoned. While poisoned in this way, the target takes 3 (1d6) poison damage at the start of each of its turns, and he suffers from a non-cumulative -2 penalty to his AC. The poisoned target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Gaki Shinkou
Large Fiend (Spirit/Yokai), Neutral Evil
Hit Points: 24 (3d10+9)
Speed: 20 feet
Senses: Passive Perception 9, darkvision 60 feet
Challenge Rating: 1 (200 XP)

Actions
Bludgeoning Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5ft, one target
Hit: 6 (1d8+2) bludgeoning damage. The target must succeed on a DC 11 Constitution saving throw or become poisoned. While poisoned in this way, the target's movement speed is halved, and it takes 3 (1d6) poison damage at the start of each of its turns. The poisoned target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
Fire Breath (Recharge 5-6). The Shinkou exhales fire in a 15-foot cone. Each creature in that area must make a DC 12 Dexterity saving throw, taking 10 (3d6) fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
Departing Swarm (1/day). The Shinkou rolls 1d4, and a Swarm of Insects (CR1/4, Monster Manual page 338) appears adjacent to the Shinkou (the type of the swarm is determined by the result of the roll – 1 for Beetles, 2 for Centipedes, 3 for Spiders, and 4 for Wasps).

Gaki Rasetsu
Medium Fiend (Spirit/Yokai), Neutral Evil
Hit Points: 30 (4d8+12)
Speed: 20 feet
Int 6 (-2) Wis 12 (+1) Cha 4 (-3)
Senses: Passive Perception 11, darkvision 60 feet
Challenge Rating: 2 (450 XP)
Innate Spellcasting. The Rasetsu's spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 11). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
at will: chill touch
1/day each: tasha’s hideous laughter, crown of madness

Actions
Slashing Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5ft, one target
Hit: 6 (1d8+2) slashing damage. The target must succeed on a DC 11 Constitution saving throw or become poisoned. While poisoned in this way, the target can't regain hit points, and it takes 3 (1d6) poison damage at the start of each of its turns. The poisoned target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Comments and constructive critisism appreciated.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-02-15, 04:53 AM
These are great! We need more Yokai!

M Placeholder
2016-02-15, 05:07 AM
As these are spirits, I would change the type to Spirit (Oriental Adventures 3.5 had that type for many of its monsters). I would also bump up the Gaki Hit Die to a d6.

I like these, keep them coming.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-02-15, 05:35 AM
I would also bump up the Gaki Hit Die to a d6.

Good point. HD are supposed to be determined by size category - d6 for small, d8 for medium, d10 for large, etc.

Precedent aside, isn't a Yokai more like a demon than a spirit?

Gastronomie
2016-02-15, 05:59 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys~!

Oh, and yeah, changed HP die. Thanks for pointing that out.

Well technically they could be spirits...I honestly don't really know. Yes they are spirits, but the word "Yokai" is a really vast and vague term in Japanese. It originally referred to anything supernatural, including even natural disasters such as famine and earthquakes. So I originally classified it a Yokai.

But yes, spirits could be more "correct" if it's to be classified in taxonomic terms. Maybe would just write "Spirit/Yokai".

EDIT: Also, if you guys have any Yokai you want to be made into monsters, please tell me. I might not be professional but I will try.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-02-15, 06:22 AM
EDIT: Also, if you guys have any Yokai you want to be made into monsters, please tell me. I might not be professional but I will try.

Otoroshi!

Zashiki-warashi!

Kitsune and kitsunetsuki!

Chochin-obake!

Gastronomie
2016-02-15, 09:39 AM
I honestly don't know how I should turn stuff like Zashiki Warashi into an enemy, but okay, I will try.

And well, Otoroshi is... it's one of the most vague Yokai out there. How should I cook it...well, do have some ideas but.

Will post them when I can (might not be soon, because I'm currently sorta busy - sorry if I'm late). Thanks for the ideas!

Ninja_Prawn
2016-02-15, 10:00 AM
I honestly don't know how I should turn stuff like Zashiki Warashi into an enemy, but okay, I will try.

Maybe do it as more of an NPC, like the ones in the back of the MM? I've already done (https://www.dropbox.com/s/s3crmpfdbc5u5x5/Fey%20Creatures%20Complete.pdf?dl=0) it as PC race (page 40), but I wanted to have a stat block on hand in case I need an NPC version for my players to befriend.

And well, Otoroshi is... it's one of the most vague Yokai out there. How should I cook it...well, do have some ideas but.

I'd probably go for a good- or neutral-aligned, semi-ethereal version of a gargoyle... they've got the same hidden/disguised guardian thing going on, but totally different motives. And, you know, one's a spirit and one's an earth elemental.

Gastronomie
2016-02-15, 10:36 AM
That Zashiki Warashi race looks pretty awesome (if not all the stuff in that PDF) - thanks, and when I make it, can I base the Zashiki Warashi off the abilities your race has? Namely that "giving out Luck points" thing.

The Otoroshi has pretty much "no" tales, but since they're usually depicted as being bloated weird creatures on top of shrine gateways, yeah, they could be like gargoyles.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-02-15, 10:53 AM
when I make it, can I base the Zashiki Warashi off the abilities your race has?

Sure, if you can make it work for a monster/NPC.

noob
2016-02-15, 01:30 PM
Aflame. At the start of each of the Kakushin's turns , each creature within 5 feet of it takes 3 (1d6) fire damage, and flammable objects in the aura that aren't being worn or carried ignite. A creature that touches the balor or hits it with a melee attack while within 5 feet of it takes 3 (1d6) fire damage.

So the Kakushin is a balor?

Surrounded by Bugs. At the start of each of the Shinkou's turns, the Shinkou rolls d6, and if the result is 1, a Swarm of Insects (CR1/4, Monster Manual page 338) appears adjacent to the Shinkou (roll a 1d4 to determine the type of the swarm – Beetles, Centipedes, Spiders, and Wasps).
Will not that end up filling the whole dungeon with swarms in one day(on average 2400 swarms per day)

Ninja_Prawn
2016-02-15, 01:55 PM
So the Kakushin is a balor?

Yep. A weak, clumsy, ugly balor.

Will not that end up filling the whole dungeon with swarms in one day(on average 2400 swarms per day)

Good catch, this should be a once/day ability. Like the balor's Demon Summoning. :smalltongue:

Grynning
2016-02-15, 04:05 PM
The monsters seem fine and you seem to have done a little research into Japanese culture, but can I respectfully suggest that you remove the word "Oriental" from the thread title? I know the word has history in D&D, but it's a very outdated and culturally insensitive term that kinda needs to go away.
Since all of these creatures seem to be Japanese-mythology inspired, you could just say that instead.

Gastronomie
2016-02-15, 05:43 PM
True on that, the infestation thing. Will change.

The monsters seem fine and you seem to have done a little research into Japanese culture, but can I respectfully suggest that you remove the word "Oriental" from the thread title? I know the word has history in D&D, but it's a very outdated and culturally insensitive term that kinda needs to go away.
Since all of these creatures seem to be Japanese-mythology inspired, you could just say that instead.
Well I myself am Japanese but I used the word "Oriental" anyways because:
-As you said, it seems to be the official term in D&D, making it easier for people to recognize
-Yes, it's certainly culturally insensitive, but in fact I used it because it's culturally insensitive. Thing is, almost all works of entertainment based off Japanese mythology/folklore/history ARE based off orientalism and are never "exact" or "aiming to be correct".

SAMURAI!! KIRISUTE GOMEN!! Guess what? Almost no samurai used the right, because if you couldn't prove the guy to be exceedingly trolling you, your whole family was deprived of bushi status.

BUSHIDO!! Guess what? That idea was born in the Edo period, and samurais in the sengoku era were often betraying each other.

Even stuff like Naruto (written by Japanese people) are basically based on Orientalism. Real-life Ninjas weren't like that, far from it. You could even note how the main protagonist has blue eyes and white dragon gold hair, much like someone from Europe (which many believe is a method to make it a successful franchise in overseas countries).

And why would that be? Because it's more interesting and fun that way. It's not necessarily a bad thing, at least in my opinion, that fantasy often depicts Asian countries in ways that are "incorrect" or "based on assumptions".

So that's why I used the term "oriental" - to show that D&D's "Asian" setting isn't exactly Asian anyways.

EDIT: Yes, that "Balor" was a typo (more like I forgot to fix it) because I copy-pasted off the original Balor. Thanks for pointing it out.

weaseldust
2016-02-15, 06:20 PM
I'd suggest you classify these as undead or fiends, simply because they seem the kind of thing that Detect Evil and Good and Protection from Evil and Good should work on, and that the Paladin's Smite ability should deal extra damage to. After all, they are formed from lost souls and in a sense are incarnations of evil (or, at least, vice).

Gastronomie
2016-02-16, 03:01 AM
I'd suggest you classify these as undead or fiends, simply because they seem the kind of thing that Detect Evil and Good and Protection from Evil and Good should work on, and that the Paladin's Smite ability should deal extra damage to. After all, they are formed from lost souls and in a sense are incarnations of evil (or, at least, vice).

That's true. Changing to fiends - thanks.