PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next SVAC presents 2 new sorcerous origins: Greenheart & Spiritualist

sterling vermin
2016-02-17, 10:13 AM
Today the Arcanist Handbook passes the halfway mark with the introduction of two new sorcerous origins: Greenheart and Spiritualist. The Greenheart is born from the union of dryads and mortals or an extended stay in an enchanted wood. The Spiritualist gains their arcane power from a brush with death that leaves them with a permanent ghostly companion.

Bursting with life or on the verge of death, take your pick! (http://sterlingvermin.com/2016/02/16/arcanist-handbook-part-3-sorcerers/)

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-02-17, 07:10 PM
Just been introduced to your work through this - very sound I must say, certainly a notch above most homebrew. I do have to wonder if +2 hp per level for the Greenheart isn't a bit much though.

Edit: Out of curiosity, do you include the extra stuff for Patreon backers in the eventual full handbooks? It's not going to make me pay for homebrew either way, but I would like to know. Thanks!

JNAProductions
2016-02-17, 07:57 PM
Verdant Soul is OP. It's literally just a better version of what the Dragon Sorcerer gets.

World Whisperer would be OP, but the Druid cantrip list isn't that great. So it's fine.

Land's Stride is good.

Virile Vitality is fine-maybe a little weak, actually.

Greenheart, Greenblood is cool.

Brush with Death is fine.

Pathos of the Past is fine.

Passion Play should cost more than a single Sorcery point to regain, but is otherwise okay.

Peerless Medium is basically fluff, so okay.

Geist's Rebuke is far too powerful to be allowed at-will.

Master of Seance is fine.

Do Not Go Gentle seems fine.

Flashy
2016-02-17, 09:19 PM
World Whisperer would be OP, but the Druid cantrip list isn't that great. So it's fine.

Yeah, though it does make paladin or bladelock multiclassing pretty appealing. Any source of charisma keyed Shillelagh is going to be popular.

PotatoGolem
2016-02-18, 10:19 PM
Verdant Soul is OP. It's literally just a better version of what the dragon sorcerer gets

Strongly disagree. The best part of the dragon sorc is the free mage armor, imo. Even if you prefer the higher hp, +1 hp/level seems a fair trade for lover AC.

JNAProductions
2016-02-18, 10:26 PM
It's one point lower... And you still have Mage Armor, so you too can have 13+Dexterity modifier.

Actually, scratch that-it is 3 points lower. No armor proficiencies. But you do still have Mage Armor. My gut still says it's too strong, but I suppose it's worth playtesting out.

PotatoGolem
2016-02-19, 11:37 AM
Especially at low levels, a spell slot is worth a lot more than a couple hit points. Just started a new campaign as a wizard, and I'd gladly take -1 HP per level for an extra level 1 slot. Low level casters are super starved for spells, and they're not great at taking hits anyway.