PDA

View Full Version : Firstforged weapon [3.5] PEACH

sengmeng
2016-02-17, 01:51 PM
Please PEACH and price this.

Firstforged weapon

The firstforged weapons were created by the god Stykk (the metal god) to arm the mortals in the First War, which was fought to keep the world of Nyskora from being destroyed by dragons. They are the first and best weapons ever made. Firstforged weapons are made of a combination of liquid metal and the stuff of souls. They change their shape as they're being used to increase their lethality. When a creature with a soul grasps a firstforged weapon, it becomes the perfect instrument of violence against his enemies, but especially dragons.
It's like swinging a little T-1000 at people.

A firstforged weapon appears to be a puddle of quicksilver when not in use. Holding it in one's hand causes it to take the shape of a melee weapon which the wielder is proficient in. If they have the weapon focus or specialization feats in a melee weapon, it takes that shape. If they are not proficient in any weapon, but can wield weapons, it becomes a longsword, and the wielder does not take a non-proficiency penalty for that form only. As a move action, the wielder can concentrate to have the firstforged weapon take on the shape of any other weapon. If it takes a shape the wielder is not proficient in, they take non-proficiency penalties as normal.

Augmented weapon: when a firstforged weapon takes the shape of another weapon, modify the base weapons stats in the following ways, dependent on its damage type:

Increase damage die by one step. Add +1 to the threat range. Add 2 more critical multipliers.
Increase damage die by one step. Add +2 to the threat range. Add 1 more critical multiplier.

Increase damage die by two steps.
If the weapon type has multiple damage types, pick one and modify it according to that type.

In addition, all forms are Bane weapons against dragons, and have a +3 enhancement bonus. However, because of the firstforged weapon's connection to its wielder's soul and ability to change its shape mid-swing (thus allowing it to partially guide the strike to the target) the +3 to hit is actually added to the wielder's base attack bonus, which means they may gain an iterative attack.

Firstforged weapons cannot be thrown; when they leave their wielder's possession, the connection to the wielder's soul is lost and they revert to a puddle of liquid metal. They can still fly through the air, but they deal no damage. A firstforged weapon weighs about 10 pounds and is about 6 cubic inches of material. When forming smaller weapons, leftover material attaches to the wielder's forearm like a bracer; this effect is visual only. Firstforged weapons do not function in the hands of undead, constructs, or any creature without a soul. They remain a puddle of liquid when touched by these creatures.

Firstforged weapons cannot be made by mortal spellcasters.

Edit:
Firstforged weapons cannot be sundered by physical means, but if they are hit for 100 points of damage in a single attack, they get splattered and take 1 round to reform. Only pure elemental fire, such as being transported to the Plane of Fire, can undo the divine power that holds them together. Firstforged weapons count as all special materials, epic, and magic for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction, but do not overcome hardness, -, or alignment based DR. Firstforged weapons can be further enchanted, but the price of enchanting them is calculated as is they were already a +8 weapon.

sengmeng
2016-02-17, 01:55 PM
Does it fit the fluff as an "ultimate weapon"?

This lore, gathered from the Sidhe, is the unknowable secret that the gods attempted to keep from the thinking races. High elves believe that they were the first intelligent mortal beings and the only creation of all four elemental gods. In truth, that distinction is held by another creature.
--Enialis, as quoted by Beros Odemai

'After the clash of the Archangel and the Horror, and after the creation of Mount Hilo, but before Helion left Nyskora, a history known to no mortals took place.

Shortly after venting His spite at being left out of the creation of Nyskora, Helion decided to try His hand at creating living things, seeing the beasts of the land, the fish of the sea, and the birds of the air. So it was that He created fire elementals. Beings of pure fire, and so different from the other creatures, Helion soon realized that Nyskora could not house them except in the molten crater of Mount Hilo, and the other pockets of His essence. The fire elementals retreated to the hot places beneath Nyskora, saddened by their inability to walk its face.

Wralm, Sirasia, and Frynn came to Helion, comforting him.

"We each have tried and failed, brother. Frynn's invisible creatures must stay high above the highest mountain top, surrounded by nothing but air."

"Yes, and mine live in the very deepest and darkest parts of the sea, unable to ever see the light of day," said Wralm.

"And within the hearts of mountains, Sirasia's are trapped and barely move."

"We all had to work together in order to make the beasts, and birds, and fish."

Helion's great sadness only grew, for in the absence of his anger, he knew only melancholy.

"You had to work together to make these creatures, but you did so without Fire. Only my elementals hold my essence. The animals have no need of it."

Helion sat dejected for many days, and his three siblings conferred on what to do about this, for they knew that Helion's anger would return. During this time, Stykk, Felitix, She-Who-Laughs, Berk-Tor, and Refel-Ankh all came to Helion, his cousin elemental gods complaining of having no creations of their own.

"Where are the thunder elementals? Where are there creatures of lightning or silver or iron? You Four, you who formed the world, have creations which mark your presence, but what do we have? You complain of having only your fiery creatures, but we have none. We have power as great as yours. Perhaps we will destroy if we cannot create!"

When the Four gathered again, Helion had realized his purpose.

"I have wandered this world many days, and it is good. I want it to be a thing that endures. I will leave one more mark on it, and then leave, and you will help me. Nyskora needs guardians, for our cousins are spiteful and jealous, as was I."

The other three agreed, but didn't know Helion's plan.

"We will create the lord of beasts, a creature more powerful than any that now live. Unlike the simple animals, it will be formed of all four elements, and possessed of intelligence to assist it in protecting the world."

Sirasia began, giving their creation all the strength that she could, the essence of stone.

Wralm armored it with scales, to give it protection like her own children, yet far beyond their durability.

Frynn gave it wings, to soar above the lands on its vigil, flying higher than any bird.

Helion then bestowed his gift upon it, and it was well that Sirasia had filled it with such strength, for the fiery essence would have consumed any other creature.

This being was an animal, but elevated far above the rest. It was a wholly superior creature, blessed with extreme vitality, keen senses, magical power, intelligence, and breath of fire. A dragon. It could go to the very edges of the elementals' domains, from the highest reaches of the sky to the crushing depths of the sea, and the very edge of the lake of fire in Mount Hilo.

The dragon was told its purpose by the gods, and set out with will and ferocity. It multiplied and filled Nyskora, keeping the minor elemental gods at bay. Helion left, satisfied.

Nyskora was safe, and though the dragons preyed on the beasts, the birds, and the fish, they did not allow thunder and lightning to destroy the world, and the animals were not corrupted by the Laughing Lady of the Moon or the Faulted One. Stykk hid himself deep within Nyskora, sulking, and keeping company with Sirasia's creatures. Felitix retreated to the moon with his mad sister.

The three remaining elemental gods decided that another order of being should be created. The dragons were perfect at their task, and intelligent enough for the gods to converse with, but they did not create. Though awesome in their power, nothing a dragon did would ever surprise or delight the gods. The Three gods walked on the face of Nyskora for millennia, and nothing new or interesting manifested in that time.

Thus it was that the Three set out to create the Elves. Though the elder folk believe that Helion had a hand in their creation, He did not, and they were not the Firstborn. That title goes to the dragons, first and last creation of the united Four, and the first intelligent mortal creatures, though whether dragons should be called mortal is debatable. The real distinction of the Elves is their souls. The essence of creation, of true life, derives from the soul, and the elves were the first beings to have them. At first, the dragons accepted the gods' decree that elves were not their prey.

Humans were created at the same time, quite by accident. As each elf came into being, a human sprang up somewhere on the face of Nyskora, inexplicably. Elf scholars ascribe this to Felitix and the Laughing Moon Goddess, but none truly know. It was thought that these two secretly tried to warp the creation of the elves by filling them with madness and faults, but that the curses flung at the elves were rebuffed and formed separate beings, with separate souls. Elvish belief in their own superiority might try to explain humans thus, but the fact is that the human soul holds even more capability for creation than theirs. Perhaps it is even true, for the imperfection of both man and elf is the main thing that separates them from the dragons, apart from the lack of elemental fire.

The gods were not aware of the humans' existence, busy as they were squabbling over the creation of more elves. Sirasia thought the world still had a bit too much fire, creating her Wild Fire elves in Helion's absence to counteract His contribution. Wralm chose a group of elves to invite to her domain, but her wrathful, unpredictable nature terrified them and they fled as far from her influence as they could, deep into the desert, where they still hide beyond veils of illusion. When the high elves first began to create art and beauty, as was their purpose, Frynn realized that nothing could be made of wind, his element. Enraged, he warped a group of elves to live without crafting or building anything, and in order to fulfill their obligation to create, they invented song and dance.

All of this distracted Nyskora's guardians, the dragons, and while all the other elemental gods were occupied creating or trying to warp the elves, Berk-Tor and Refel-Ankh created their abominations, the Storm Elves, and smuggled them to Nyskora. Unable to recreate the souls that the Three had infused in their creations, and unable to animate them, they turned to the Proto-gods, but at that point, only the god of Spite would answer. The souls He created were filled with His essence, and capable of animating the otherwise impossible bodies that the gods of thunder and lightning had made. The Storm Elves are right, indeed, to insist that their souls are fundamentally different from other mortals, and as much a part of their bodies as their limbs.

The Three were horrified at the mockeries of their creations that had been unleashed by the twin gods. Helion, watching from far away, laughed at the fate of the elves as their monstrous kin acted out the hate that was their essence. He held no love for anything that came after the Firstborn, His last children, and thought no fate too cruel for them. His Siblings had once again excluded him, and were reaping a terrible price.

The soulless Firstborn, meanwhile, upheld the letter of the law, but not the spirit. Elves were not to be hunted, but the divine decree did not require the dragons to protect them, and humans, while possessing souls, were not elves and were not granted the same status. So as the Three attempted to stop the slaughter of the elves, the dragons hunted humans relentlessly, knowing that the gods would likely extend that same protection to men once they became aware of their existence.

Perhaps you begin to see why the gods tried to hide the disastrous outcome of their folly from mortals. The current story of creation has been much abridged to keep the gods' reputations clean. Yet, more mistakes are yet to come in this tale.

The first dragon to eat a human acquired a soul and named himself Ismanduvarresh, meaning 'Eater of Souls' in the language of the gods, and proclaimed himself the king of dragons. Under his direction, they disobeyed the gods, attacking the elves, and Wralm, Frynn, and Sirasia fled Nyskora for a time, for the dragons had been created to hold gods at bay, and unbound, could destroy their creators. Realizing their mistake, the Three set about creating souls for the dragons, and sent them to Nyskora to make amends for the incomplete creation of the Firstborn, even as the mortal races were being slaughtered by the jealous dragons.

A few dragons accepted the gift, a few had gained the souls of men or elves, but many, many, rejected them outright, completely unnerved by how their kin had changed. Admitting their mistakes, the Three went to their cousins to beg forgiveness, and came to Nyskora to rally the mortals against the dragons. With eight gods (Helion was still watching from afar) leading six mortal armies wielding the Firstforged weapons made by Stykk, they fought a titanic and horrible battle. Still, the Firstborn may have prevailed, but even as they were being assaulted, many were exploring the wonder of their newfound souls, and they could not properly organize. A few dragons survived, but they took on other shapes and hid among the mortals for thousands of years. The highest casualties were suffered by the soulless dragons, as they were the most aggressive, and there are perhaps only a handful left today. The gods, believing the extermination complete, set about trying to erase the memory of their greatest mistake, the dragons, and then left Nyskora, all eight agreeing that it was best not to walk so closely with mortals anymore. Stykk took his weapons and hid beneath the mountains again, and would not reveal himself to the world again until the arrival of the dwarves. Berk-Tor and Refel-Ankh break their exile, but mostly stay in the skies, out of the reach of men and elves. The Mad Maiden stays on the moon, but still has power that extends to Nyskora, and none truly know the comings and goings of Felitix.

Before they left, Sirasia, Wralm, and Frynn collected their elemental children to give them comfort in their self-imposed exile. Almost as an afterthought, they looked for the stray souls that the dragons had rejected, but couldn't find them. We've been hiding ever since.'

roko10
2016-02-17, 02:12 PM
Can you still tack on enchants on the weapon itself?

sengmeng
2016-02-17, 02:37 PM
Can you still tack on enchants on the weapon itself?

I haven't decided. Fluffwise, it wouldn't seem like you should be able to modify the weapons of the gods, but it's not exactly artifact-level power, is it? I might allow it, but it would probably be priced as if the abilities it already has are +8.

nikkoli
2016-02-17, 04:47 PM
Unless I'm reading it wrong it's a "dragon bane I look like whatever i want weapon and better in every way and my enhancement bonus is added to your bab" weapon. Are you saying the total of the enchantment is +8 or the bit of I am the best weapon shape to ever exist is worth +8 alone?

sengmeng
2016-02-17, 05:12 PM
Unless I'm reading it wrong it's a "dragon bane I look like whatever i want weapon and better in every way and my enhancement bonus is added to your bab" weapon. Are you saying the total of the enchantment is +8 or the bit of I am the best weapon shape to ever exist is worth +8 alone?

It should be worth better than +8, but for the sake of squeezing in a tiny bit of wiggle room for customization, I'd handwave it down to +8 for pricing. Maybe.

So to answer your question: everything it has would be considered +8, even though it shouldn't.