PDA

View Full Version : Novamancer (Copying Jormengand and making a class in 30 minutes) PEACH

sengmeng
2016-02-18, 12:30 PM
The five minute adventuring day is now a person!

NOVAMANCER

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special
AP

1st

+0

+0

+0

+0
Novamancy

2nd

+1

+0

+0

+0

3rd

+1

+1

+1

+1

4th

+2

+1

+1

+1
Expanded Action Pool (Int bonus)

5th

+2

+1

+1

+1
Bonus Feat

6th

+3

+2

+2

+2

7th

+3

+2

+2

+2

8th

+4

+2

+2

+2

9th

+4

+3

+3

+3
Expanded Action pool (Int x 1.5)

10th

+5

+3

+3

+3
Bonus Feat

11th

+5

+3

+3

+3

12th

+6

+4

+4

+4

13th

+6

+4

+4

+4

14th

+7

+4

+4

+4
Expanded Action Pool (Int x 2)

15th

+7

+5

+5

+5
Bonus Feat

16th

+8

+5

+5

+5

17th

+8

+5

+5

+5

18th

+9

+6

+6

+6
Master of Novae

19th

+9

+6

+6

+6
Expanded Action Pool (Int x 2.5)

20th

+10

+6

+6

+6
Bonus Feat

Hitdice: d4

Skills 2 + Int
Class Skills: Declare any 10 skills class skills.

Novamancy (Ex): Novamancy is the art of doing a whole day's worth of stuff all at once. Novamancers gain action points equal to the number given in the table under column AP, + 1/2 their Intelligence Bonus. Action points can be spent to emulate a class ability of any other class of a level equal to the Novamancer's class level, including spells and psionic powers. A spell or psionic power costs one action point per level of the spell or power emulated. It is cast as a spell-like or psi-like ability with a caster level or manifester level equal to the Novamancer's class level, and powers are augmented as if they were manifested using power points equal to the Novamancer's level. DC's are based on the level of the spell or power and the Novamancer's Wisdom bonus. Metamagic and metapsionic feats can be applied to spells or powers, and they cost an action point per effective level. 0 level spells cost 1 action point, but they are automatically quickened, as the metamagic feat.
All other class features cost one action point to use for one round, and they are gained as if the Novamancer had levels in that class equal to their Novamancer levels. For this purpose, a Barbarian's Rage ability would cost one action point to gain for one round, and so would Greater Rage, but Greater Rage would require more Novamancer levels. The Monk's unarmed damage and Flurry of Blows are two separate abilities for this purpose. Maintaining a spell or ability with a duration costs one action point per round per ability. Abilities that scale, such as a Monk's Unarmed damage and a Rogue's Sneak Attack, add levels of those classes to the Novamancer's level when emulated if the Novamancer is multiclassed.

One action point can also be spent to gain an extra swift action in a turn.

One action point can be spent to gain a bonus to one skill check equal to the Novamancer's level.

One action point can be spent to to gain a bonus to one save equal to the Novamancer's level.

One action point can be spent to raise the Novamancer's Base Attack Bonus to equal his Novamancer levels, plus any Base Attack Bonus from other classes, for one round.

One action point can be spent to gain the use of one feat for one round. This feat can serve as a prerequisite for more feats bought with action points.
Two action points can be used as an immediate action to emulate an ability like Evasion, Mettle, Uncanny Dodge, or Trap Sense to gain their benefit against an attack or saving throw.

Two action points can be used to gain an extra standard action in a turn.
Three action points can be spent to gain an extra full-round action in a turn.
If the Novamancer spends more action points in one round than his Novamancer levels, or if he uses Novamancy to take more than one swift, standard, or full-round action in a round, he becomes fatigued until he has rested for eight hours. This is the only way to remove fatigue gained in this way. In addition to the normal effects of fatigue, all abilities that use action points double their costs while fatigued. Action points are restored by eight hours of rest.

Expanded Action Pool: At fourth level, the Novamancer adds his full Intelligence bonus to his Action Point Pool. At ninth level, he adds 1.5 x his Int bonus to his Action Point Pool, and at 14th and 19th levels, he gains another .5 to the multiplier.

Bonus Feat: Wherever it says "Bonus Feat" on the class table, the Novamancer chooses any feat he qualifies for. He counts his Novamancer levels as caster and manifester levels when taking Metapsionic or Metamagic feats.

Master of Novae: At 18th level, the Novamancer does not become fatigued the first time in any day that he spends more action points in one round than his Novamancer levels, or uses Novamancy to take more than one swift, standard, or full-round action in a round. The second time, he will become fatigued as normal.

tsj
2016-02-18, 12:58 PM
Interesting. .. reminds me of that
Sorcerer type guy from Mortal Combat that
could emulate the other charecters :)

sengmeng
2016-02-18, 01:03 PM
Interesting. .. reminds me of that
Sorcerer type guy from Mortal Combat that
could emulate the other charecters :)

Shang Tsung is who you're thinking of... I was going for less sinister, more exploding whirlwind of activity that needs a nap after one round. Still, I was expecting something more along the lines of "this breaks the game," so thanks for your positivity.

Jormengand
2016-02-18, 01:30 PM
So...

A novamancer's int modifier is as useful as their level for determining how many points they get? Sure, let me just play a lesser wispling primordial giant to get +3 points, I guess?

Also, at 20th level, you don't really... do much. Sure, you have, like, maybe 3 9th-level spells? And you can spontaneously draw them from any list which is nice, but if a wizard wants to go nova, he can go nova way better.

Also, as a general rule, 1 9th-level spell is better than a 4th and a 5th, or 9 1sts, or 3 3rds, so you're probably going to see novamancers firing off the highest-level spells they can cast, which is still not as good as anyone else trying to go nova can do.

The novamancer is going to be less nova and more "Right, I can spontaneously cast off every list in the universe but I only have about 30 spell levels to do it, so I have to be stupidly careful what I spend them on". Of course, spamming create water for 0AP is going to fit in there somewhere.

sengmeng
2016-02-18, 02:34 PM
So...

A novamancer's int modifier is as useful as their level for determining how many points they get? Sure, let me just play a lesser wispling primordial giant to get +3 points, I guess?

Also, at 20th level, you don't really... do much. Sure, you have, like, maybe 3 9th-level spells? And you can spontaneously draw them from any list which is nice, but if a wizard wants to go nova, he can go nova way better.

Also, as a general rule, 1 9th-level spell is better than a 4th and a 5th, or 9 1sts, or 3 3rds, so you're probably going to see novamancers firing off the highest-level spells they can cast, which is still not as good as anyone else trying to go nova can do.

The novamancer is going to be less nova and more "Right, I can spontaneously cast off every list in the universe but I only have about 30 spell levels to do it, so I have to be stupidly careful what I spend them on". Of course, spamming create water for 0AP is going to fit in there somewhere.

I guess I just don't know how others go nova. I thought two+ 9th level spells in one turn without Time Stop's restrictions was going to bring down cries of "don't break the action economy." *Shrug*

I probably should address 0 level spells, and perhaps give extra action points per level in the last three levels.

Jormengand
2016-02-18, 02:48 PM
Here's the thing, though. At first level, you have maximum 24 intelligence, meaning that you could have 8 points, basically making you like a wizard, only better because you get access to the entirety of the wizard, sorcerer, cleric and psion lists, as well as every other list in existence but that's incidental by this point (okay, druid and bard are quite nice to have tagging along). By 5th level, however, you now have 12 points, but the wizard, assuming a decent intelligence, has 16 points' worth of spells. That's fine, though, because you have way more choice in where to place them. By 7th, though, you have 14 points and the wizard has 30 points tagging around with him. You're still just about okay, due to the massive one-up you have in versatility, but he is doing twice as much stuff as you. By 9th level, you're on 16, he's on 45. And so it goes on. By the time you're at 10th level, the wizard has three times as much stuff as you.

At the moment, you're way too front-loaded by your intelligence mod. Try entering it as an additional column on the pifRo generator and entering {fN^1.5}, which gives you a nice progression that floats from 1 to 89. That may be a bit too much, though, so maybe try 1.3, which only floats up to 49. Hmm, maybe 1.4? Yeah, that floats up to 66 at high levels, which isn't nearly as much as the wizard has, but it's still enough to keep you in business. You haven't created a novamancer, though, so much as someone who has to think very, very carefully about what spell to cast (and probably has to lug around every spell list he can get his hands on, but that's incidental).

sengmeng
2016-02-18, 03:03 PM
Well, what if he's not meant to be tier 0? What if I don't want to beat the wizard, just the factotum? If the party already had a wizard, I'd want a Novamancer over a second wizard, because he doesn't have to plan or coordinate with the first wizard in order to fill in the gaps.

He can also hit for over 200d6 sneak attack damage in one round; spells aren't his only shtick.

Also, edited the first post to give an increase the action points gained in the last two levels, and once per day immunity to the fatigue effect.

Jormengand
2016-02-18, 03:11 PM
Well, this wasn't about being better than the wizard. This was about keeping up, vaguely, with the wizard in some sense. I mean, at level 18, for example, the wizard has 8-10 times as many points as you! Obviously you have massive amounts of versatility, but versatility isn't as meaningful when it doesn't come backed up by any power.

sengmeng
2016-02-18, 03:27 PM
Ok, so now his action points have been adjusted... 24 intelligence at level one nets him 4 action points. 28 int at 20th gives him 46 action points. Seem a little smoother scaling now? I must point out though, that that's enough to cast four 9th level spells in one round with a four action points left over, and this would no longer fatigue him.

Jormengand
2016-02-18, 03:37 PM
Ehh. If you're casting 4 9ths in one round you're not doing anything else with your day. That's probably fine.

sengmeng
2016-02-18, 03:45 PM
Ehh. If you're casting 4 9ths in one round you're not doing anything else with your day. That's probably fine.

The five minute adventuring day is now a person!

Does that mean he at least deserves the title of Novamancer, then?

Jormengand
2016-02-18, 03:50 PM
Does that mean he at least deserves the title of Novamancer, then?

Heh, well possibly. Of course, casting them all in one round probably isn't as helpful as saving your points for more spells. :smalltongue: