PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Battle Bro class

JPlayah
2016-02-19, 06:54 PM
Battle Bro

You know those times when you want to hit your enemies with an axe, but you also want to support your team? That's what this class is for.

Alignment: Any non-evil.
Hit Die: d8.
Starting Gold: 150 gp.
Starting Age: Simple.

Table: The Battle Bro
Hit die: d8

Level

Base
Attack Bonus

Saving Throws

Special

Fort

Ref

Will

1st

+1

+2

+0

+0

Battle Cry 1/day, Confidence

2nd

+2

+3

+0

+0

Body Block, Bro Fist

3rd

+3

+3

+1

+1

Bro Style

4th

+4

+4

+1

+1

Battle Cry 2/day, Power Strike

5th

+5

+4

+1

+1

Help a Bro Out

6th

+6/+1

+5

+2

+2

Bro Style

7th

+7/+2

+5

+2

+2

Improved Battle Cry

8th

+8/+3

+6

+2

+2

Battle Cry 3/day

9th

+9/+4

+6

+3

+3

Bro Style, Improved Body Block

10th

+10/+5

+7

+3

+3

11th

+11/+6/+1

+7

+3

+3

12th

+12/+7/+2

+8

+4

+4

Battle Cry 4/day, Bro Style

13th

+13/+8/+3

+8

+4

+4

Greater Battle Cry

14th

+14/+9/+4

+9

+4

+4

15th

+15/+10/+5

+9

+5

+5

Bro Style

16th

+16/+11/+6/+1

+10

+5

+5

Battle Cry 5/day

17th

+17/+12/+7/+2

+10

+5

+5

18th

+18/+13/+8/+3

+11

+6

+6

Bro Style

19th

+19/+14/+9/+4

+11

+6

+6

20th

+20/+15/+10/+5

+12

+6

+6

Battle Cry 6/day

Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level): Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex).

Class FeaturesAll the following are class features of the battle bro.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Battle bros are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with light and medium armor, and with shields (except tower shields).

Battle Cry (Ex): Beginning at 1st level, a battle bro can unleash a battle cry to rally his allies as a standard action. When the battle bro uses this ability, he and all allies within 30 feet of him gain a +2 morale bonus on attack and damage rolls for a number of rounds equal to 2 + his Charisma modifier (minimum 2 rounds). This ability is usable once per day, plus one additional time per day for every 4 class levels that the battle bro has. Activating a battle cry does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Confidence (Ex): At 1st level, a battle bro receives a morale boost when he helps out his allies. Whenever he uses another class feature from this class which requires an action to activate, whenever he successfully uses the aid another action, or whenever he or an ally successfully attack an opponent that he is flanking, the battle bro gains a number of temporary hit points equal to ½ his class level (minimum 1 temporary hit point). Temporary hit points gained this way last until the beginning of the battle bro’s next turn.

Body Block (Ex): At 2nd level, a battle bro learns to see attacks coming at a distance and intercept them for his allies. As an immediate action, a battle bro can move up to 5 feet in response to an enemy attacking one of his allies with a ranged weapon and position himself in the line of fire between the enemy and his ally. If he does this, the enemy makes its attack against the battle bro instead. Moving in this way provokes attacks of opportunity. The battle bro can only use this ability in order to block an attack, and only if his movement actually positions him in the line of fire. He must choose to do this before the enemy makes an attack roll.

Bro Fist (Su): At 2nd level, a battle bro can channel his inner camaraderie to reward allies after a tough fight. As a standard action, a battle bro can fist bump an ally within 1 round of either of them dealing the final blow to an enemy (whether this was to kill the enemy or merely incapacitate it). When he does, both characters regain 1 hit point per hit die, and all other allies within 30 feet of the battle bro regain 1 hit point per 2 hit dice (minimum 1 hit point). This ability cannot cause characters to gain temporary hit points. Responding to the fist bump is a free action for the battle bro’s ally. Performing a fist bump causes the battle bro to provoke attacks of opportunity.

Bro Style (Ex): At 3rd level and every 3 levels after, a battle bro gains a special ability chosen from the list below.

Block and Tackle: A battle bro can use his Body Block class feature to step in front of a charging opponent, blocking that opponent’s movement. As he does this, he slams into his opponent, taking damage as though that opponent had made a melee attack against him, but also knocking that opponent off balance and stopping the charge. After this, the battle bro can make a trip attempt against that opponent as a free action, applying the Improved Trip feat if he has it.

Bro Throw: As a standard action, a battle bro can grab an ally within his reach whose weight does not exceed his maximum load, lift that character up, and set him or her down in another unoccupied space that he can reach. Alternatively, the battle bro can switch places with his ally. If the ally is unwilling to be moved, the characters make opposed grapple checks to determine whether the battle bro succeeds. This action causes the battle bro to provoke attacks of opportunity.

Got You Covered: A battle bro can ready a move action to move with an ally he is adjacent to. While the characters move, the battle bro shifts his position to keep his ally protected, providing his ally with a +2 cover bonus to AC, but taking a -2 penalty to his own AC. Alternatively, the battle bro can take a full-round action to keep an ally covered until the beginning of his next turn, moving with his ally and positioning himself as needed so that he remains adjacent to his ally at all times. Since the battle bro can move in response to his ally’s needs, his ally does not take any penalties on attack rolls while being protected.

Hands Off: As a standard action, a battle bro can pull an opponent off of an ally. To do this, the battle bro makes an opposed grapple check against an adjacent opponent who is already grappling one of the battle bro’s allies. If the battle bro’s grapple check beats his opponent’s check, that opponent is forced to release the character he or she is grappling. This action causes the battle bro to provoke attacks of opportunity, but not from the opponent that he is grabbing. If the battle bro has the Improved Grapple feat, he does not provoke any attacks of opportunity.

Inspire: As an immediate action, a battle bro can yell words of encouragement at an ally within 30 feet, providing a +2 morale bonus on a skill check that his ally is about to perform. The battle bro cannot take this action and use the aid another action in the same round.

Power Slide: As a move action, a battle bro can throw himself forward and slide in a straight line up to 15 feet, dropping to the ground during the slide and rising to his feet at the end. The battle bro gains a +2 dodge bonus to his AC while moving in this way.

Shake It Off: A battle bro can take a standard action to shake an adjacent ally who is under the influence of mind-affecting magic, such as illusion, charm, compulsion, or fear effects. Doing so grants the ally a new Will saving throw to negate one such effect, and that character gains a bonus on his or her save equal to the battle bro’s Charisma bonus. The battle bro’s ally chooses which effect to attempt the save on. This action causes the battle bro to provoke attacks of opportunity.

Tag Team: As a standard action, a battle bro can make an attack which leaves his opponent open, allowing the battle bro’s allies to follow up with attacks of their own. To do this, the battle bro must make a single melee attack against an adjacent opponent. This attack only deals half damage if it hits, but it also causes the opponent to provoke attacks of opportunity from the battle bro’s allies.

Power Strike (Su): At 4th level, a battle bro can use the power of his emotions to strike down his enemies. As a free action, the battle bro may choose for the next weapon attack he makes within 1 round to be a touch attack which deals untyped damage, bypassing all forms of damage reduction. This attack deals additional damage equal to ½ the battle bro’s class level. The battle bro must declare that he is using this ability before he makes his attack roll. This ability is usable a number of times per day equal to the battle bro’s Charisma modifier (minimum 1).

Help a Bro Out (Ex): A battle bro is especially good at helping his allies. Beginning at 5th level, a battle bro who uses the aid another action to help an ally provides that ally with a +4 bonus on skill checks instead of a +2 bonus, and a battle bro who helps an ally flank an enemy provides that ally with a +4 flanking bonus on his or her attack roll instead of a +2 bonus.

Improved Battle Cry (Ex): At 7th level, the morale bonus on attack and damage rolls granted by a battle bro’s Battle Cry class feature improves to +4. When the battle bro activates his Battle Cry, all allies within 30 feet of him are freed from fear effects.

Improved Body Block (Ex): At 9th level, a battle bro learns to block incoming attacks more effectively, allowing him to use his Body Block class feature to protect his allies from area damage spells like line, cone, or burst spells. In order to do this, the battle bro must position himself directly between the origin of such a spell and an ally. He then stops the spell’s area from continuing on behind him, creating a shadow in the shape of a line which extends past him in the direction opposite from the spell’s origin. Creatures and objects in this shadow are protected from the spell’s effects. The battle bro does not need to move 5 feet if he is already positioned between the spell’s caster and his allies, but he does need to declare that he is using his Body Block class feature for this purpose before any damage dice are rolled or any saving throws are made. He must do it in response to an area spell being cast.

Greater Battle Cry (Ex): At 13th level, the morale bonus on attack and damage rolls granted by a battle bro’s Battle Cry class feature improves to +6. When the battle bro activates his Battle Cry, all allies within 30 feet of him are freed from charm and compulsion effects.

Droopy McCool
2016-02-20, 11:55 PM
I like this idea, and it seems well executed. I really dig the Bro Style feature. I'm guessing you're a Mario Bros. fan, eh? I actually played in a campaign recently where I built Mario and my friend built Luigi, and the DM let us do "Bro Attacks" (one was me using him as my effective weapon for a whirlwind-like attack - w/o the feat!) just because it was hilarious. This class would've been great.

Now, I know you get new Bro Styles up to 18th level, but I feel like something should be added. This class has two really strong special abilities and a bunch of smaller ones. If you're going for the Mario Bros., you could be looking at a dinosaur-specific Animal Companion/Special Mount or SLAs like the following:

Spell-like Ability: At level __, you gain the spell-like ability to cast Kelgore's Fire Bolt (PHBII pg 116). Your effective caster level is equal to 1/3 your class level (rounded down) for the purpose of determining damage. You can use this spell-like ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier.

Spell-like Ability: At level __, you gain the spell-like ability to cast Fly (PHB pg 232) a number of times per day equal to 1 + your Charisma modifier. However, rather than lasting for 1min/CL, this effect only lasts for 1 minute (10 rounds). Flavor requirement: A cape.

You might be able to tell, but I made a Super Mario Bros. class. Now, obviously, you might just be going for the Bro idea rather than the Mario Bros. specifically, in which case disregard everything I just said! :smalltongue:

McCool

JPlayah
2016-02-21, 08:20 PM
You might be able to tell, but I made a Super Mario Bros. class. Now, obviously, you might just be going for the Bro idea rather than the Mario Bros. specifically, in which case disregard everything I just said!

I'm going for more of a fratboy image. The battle bro chills with his team, parties with his team, but most importantly, he's always there for his team and always has everyone's back. Maybe I could add something involving partying to improve the flavor.

Do you think that the class holds its own as a base class? I've gotten critiques on some of my other classes where people have said they should be prestige classes instead because there isn't enough content.

XionUnborn01
2016-02-21, 11:09 PM
I'm going for more of a fratboy image. The battle bro chills with his team, parties with his team, but most importantly, he's always there for his team and always has everyone's back. Maybe I could add something involving partying to improve the flavor.

Do you think that the class holds its own as a base class? I've gotten critiques on some of my other classes where people have said they should be prestige classes instead because there isn't enough content.

You might want to sprinkle in some more minor abilities to really flush the class out to be a full base class, but I totally love the idea.

Maybe one of his party abilities is like a hero's feast. That's a 6th level spell, so maybe it starts something like a mini feast and grows.

Also, I think that he should be able to create Everfull Mugs from the MIC, maybe they stay good for 1 week but are obviously worthless/flawed if trying to sell them.

Maybe take a page from drunken master where he can drink alcohol to gain bonuses.

Fratboys like sports, what about some sort of specialty with throwing weapons.

Droopy McCool
2016-02-21, 11:49 PM

Well, my one issue with any class is when they gain nothing different as far as class abilities. Improving old abilities is nice, if not necessary, but I believe a good class will have something interesting gained at (almost) every level. This keeps me interested all the way up to the capstone, and makes it a versatile class in most cases.

I like the stuff Xion said, and fully support the Drunken Master idea.

As far as how it holds up, I like what you have going, and believe it has potential. So, if nothing else, add something new and helpful at all levels with a solid capstone. Don't be afraid to get OP at level 20; wizards already did that 10 levels ago. Go nuts. :smallwink:

McCool

JPlayah
2016-02-25, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I think I will pursue some alcohol-related benefits, but I'm also going to focus on team bonuses. After all, the battle bro makes every party/celebration/drinking session better.

.....BRO.