PDA

View Full Version : Contest Homebrew Chef: Brew me a Dungeoneer!

sengmeng
2016-02-21, 12:35 PM
Welcome, everyone, to the first Installation of Homebrew Chef!

Contestants: You will need to present a write-up of your build with at least one of the following points: 5th level, 10th level, 15th, 20th, and a "sweet spot" that you feel is the high point of the build, as well as presenting a fully-fleshed out 20-level build in the table below. Feel free to present as many of these as you like, and please give a rundown of the build's abilities and playability at all of the levels you didn't show. The rules are as follows:

32 point-buy is the presumed creation method, but we have generally allowed other levels of point-buy.
If you do use a different point-buy, please make your case for its necessity in your entry. Keep in mind that for using exceptionally large or small point-buys may warrant deductions in elegance and/or power.

Ingredients: The idea of this contest is that you will use existing homebrew to construct a character, whether your own or others. Homebrew should be 90% or more of the entry, but not homebrew specifically made for the contest. That should be as limited as possible, with anything more than a single feat a serious risk to the 'Elegance' portion of your score. As far as official material goes, competitors will be free to use any official 3.5 rulebook in constructing their builds. Dragon magazine is disallowed, and Unearthed Arcana is allowed; but see Elegance below. Web-exclusive 3.0 or 3.5 materials by WotC are expressly allowed, but take care to verify that an updated version did not appear in print elsewhere, as this may cause an Elegance deduction at the judges' discretion. Alternate rule systems from UA such as gestalt or Generic Classes are not allowed, as they create a different playing field. Item Familiars and Taint are also banned from the competition. We don’t want to make this too easy, do we? The secret ingredient is Dungeons!

Cooking time: Contestants will have until 17:59 CST (23:59 GMT) Thursday, March 10th to create their builds and PM them to the head judge, sengmengl. Builds will then be posted simultaneously, to avoid copying. Judges will have until 17:59 CST (23:59 GMT) Thursday, March 17 to judge the builds and submit their scores. If no judges have scored by that point, only the scores of the first judge to submit will be counted.

Judging: Judging will be based on the following criteria, with each build rated on a scale from 1 (very poor) to 5 (exemplary) in each area: Originality, Power, Elegance, Concept.

Concept will be how close the contestants stick to the contest’s concept, based on the judge’s discretion.

Power level is up to you. Cheese is acceptable, but should be kept to a sane level unless you're showcasing a new TO build you've discovered. As the Iron Chef competition states, a little cheddar can be nice, but avoid the mature Gruyere unless you're making a cheese fondue.

Elegance: Level adjustment buyoff is allowed, but may be docked off Elegance based on the judge’s preference.

Presentation: Builds will be posted anonymously, in order to avoid the potential of bias towards a particular competitor. For this reason, please don't put your name in the build, as I'm likely to miss it when reviewing the entries!

Due to concerns about standardizing entry format, I'd like everyone to try to use the following table for their entry.

Level
Class
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Skills
Feats
Class Features

1st
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

2nd
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

3rd
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

4th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

5th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

6th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

7th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

8th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

9th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

10th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

11th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

12th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

13th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

14th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

15th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

16th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

17th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

18th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

19th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

20th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

Code immediately below (spoiler).

Level
Class
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Skills
Feats
Class Features

1st
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

2nd
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

3rd
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

4th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

5th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

6th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

7th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

8th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

9th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

10th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

11th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

12th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

13th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

14th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

15th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

16th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

17th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

18th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

19th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

20th
New Class Level
+x
+x
+x
+x
Skills
Feats
New Class Abilities

Speculation: Please don’t post or speculate on possible builds until the “reveal, in order to avoid spoiling the surprise if a particular competitor is producing a build along those lines.

So! Who wants to sign up as a contestant, and who wants to sign up as a judge? Looking for as many contestants and judges as feel like playing!

Concept for this 1st Contest is:
Dungeons
It should be conceptually linked to dungeons in some way. A single rank in Knowledge (Dungeoneering) is probably not going to cut it.

Leadership is banned for sanity reasons.
To Clarify:
No Leadership, Draconic Cohort, or Feats that grant a similar ability are allowed. Any PrC you choose with Leadership or a Leadership-analog (Such as Thrallherd) has that ability entirely ignored for this contest, as it may neither be used nor traded away via any means whatsoever.

We will award 1st through 3rd places, as well as a shout-out for honorable mention. The honorable mention prize is given to the most daring or unexpected build. Judges, contestants and guests alike are invited to vote for honorable mention via PM. If there are no votes, Honourable mention will go to the head judge’s favorite build.

Begin your brewing.

For this first contest, we'll be going by ECL, not CR. So look for ECL 5, 10, 15, 20 as your building points.

Please cite your sources in some way. Judges may want to check the homebrew portions' dates or whether they were correctly interpreted and implemented.

The chat thread is coming. here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?479229-Homebrew-Chef-chat-thread-I-love-you-brew).

Jormengand
2016-02-21, 02:22 PM
Excellent... time to start scheming.

sengmeng
2016-03-09, 11:35 PM
Bump!

One day left to enter!

Beelzebub1111
2016-03-10, 10:51 PM
In your post it says to submit to "Sengmengl" Should that just be Sengmeng?

Temotei
2016-03-10, 11:35 PM
In your post it says to submit to "Sengmengl" Should that just be Sengmeng?

Yeah, a quick search through the member list shows there is no sengmengl or Sengmengl. Send it to sengmeng. :smalltongue:

sengmeng
2016-03-16, 02:34 PM
In no particular order... our entries!

Lurk
"Well hello there! Welcome to my cave, hero-things... you want me to join you on your quest, hmm? Well then, Lurk can do that, if you can catch him. Have fun, hero-things!"

Lurk was not interested in saving the world. After all, the stone rats want to watch the world decay and crumble. But Lurk isn't interested in that either. Sure, he's spent a long time practicing his stone rat style, but he really wants to make the greatest story ever told. No, not quite... he wants to be the greatest story ever told. But one day, one day, he'll find his way back to his roots.

Human Stone Rat Priest of Decadence (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?479010-The-Stone-Rat-Priest-of-Decadence-Fun-with-the-class-mashup-generator-PEACH)Jor 13/Tall Tale (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?326799-Tall-Tale-%283-5-Base-Class-Contest-Winner-PEACH%29)Zay 7

Ability scores are 16/16/14/10/10/10. Neat. We're gonna put all of our level up points in STR.

Level
Class
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Skills
Feats
Class Features

1st
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 1
+0
+2
+2
+0
Climb 4 Hide 4 Jump 4 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 4 Move Silently 4 Survival 4
Two-Weapon Harmony (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/The_Netbook_of_Feats_Version_12.4_of_the_Netbook_o f_Feats#Two-weapon_Harmony)NoF, Combat School (Stone Rat Style) (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Combat_School_%283.5e_Feat%29)RoW
Stone Rat Style, Dagger Damage Bonus 1d6

2nd
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 2
+1
+3
+3
+0
Climb 5 Hide 5 Jump 5 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 5 Move Silently 5 Survival 5
-
Decadent Strike 1d3

3rd
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 3
+2
+3
+3
+1
Climb 6 Hide 6 Jump 6 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 6 Move Silently 6 Survival 6
Combat Reflexes (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/The_Netbook_of_Feats_Version_12.4_of_the_Netbook_o f_Feats#Combat_Reflexes)NoF
Stone Rat Trick +5

4th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 4
+3
+4
+4
+1
Climb 7 Hide 7 Jump 7 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 7 Move Silently 7 Survival 7
-
True Stone Rat Style, Dagger Damage Bonus 2d6

5th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 5
+3
+4
+4
+1
Climb 8 Hide 8 Jump 8 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8 Move Silently 8 Survival 8
-
Stone Rat Climb

6th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 6
+4
+5
+5
+2
Climb 9 Hide 9 Jump 9 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 9 Move Silently 9 Survival 9
Harrying Pursuit (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?475377-Some-Immediate-Action-Options-for-Tier-4-5-classes)Zay
Decadent Strike 2d3

7th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 7
+5
+5
+5
+2
Climb 10 Hide 10 Jump 10 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 10 Move Silently 10 Survival 10
-
Stone Rat Trick +10, Dagger Damage Bonus 3d6

8th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 8
+6
+6
+6
+2
Climb 11 Hide 11 Jump 11 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 11 Move Silently 11 Survival 11
-
Improved Stone Rat Style

9th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 9
+6
+6
+6
+3
Climb 12 Hide 12 Jump 12 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 12 Move Silently 12 Survival 12
Subtle Cut (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Subtle_Cut_%283.5e_Feat%29)RoW
Bladefall

10th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 9/Tall Tale 1
+6
+6
+8
+3
Climb 13 Hide 13 Jump 13 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 13 Move Silently 13 Survival 13
Improved GrappleB
Exaggerated Climb Least, Trapfinding

11th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 9/Tall Tale 2
+7
+6
+9
+3
Climb 14 Hide 14 Jump 14 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 14 Move Silently 14 Spot 2 Survival 14
-
Exaggerated Jump Least, Skin of your Teeth

12th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 9/Tall Tale 3
+8
+7
+9
+4
Climb 15 Hide 15 Jump 15 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 15 Move Silently 15 Spot 6 Survival 15
Troacctid's Swiftness (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19155186&postcount=154)Tcc, Skill Focus ClimbB, TrackB
Exaggerated Survival Least, Blessing of Kindness

13th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 9/Tall Tale 4
+9
+7
+10
+4
Climb 16 Hide 16 Jump 16 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 16 Move Silently 16 Spot 12 Survival 16
-
Exaggerated Knowledge (Dungeoneering) Least (Abberation), Uncanny Dodge

14th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 9/Tall Tale 5
+9
+7
+10
+4
Climb 17 Hide 17 Jump 17 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 17 Listen 15 Move Silently 17 Spot 17 Survival 17
-
Exaggerated Hide/Move Silently Least, Evasion

15th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 9/Tall Tale 6
+10
+8
+11
+5
Climb 18 Hide 18 Jump 18 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 18 Listen 16 Move Silently 18 Spot 18 Survival 18
Power Climber (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/The_Netbook_of_Feats_Version_12.4_of_the_Netbook_o f_Feats#Power_Climber)NoF, Skill Focus HideB
Exaggerated Climb Lesser

16th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 9/Tall Tale 7
+11
+8
+11
+5
Climb 19 Hide 19 Jump 19 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 19 Listen 17 Move Silently 19 Spot 19 Survival 19
-
Exaggerated Hide/Move Silently Lesser

17th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 10/Tall Tale 7
+12
+9
+12
+5
Climb 20 Hide 20 Jump 20 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 20 Listen 17 Move Silently 20 Spot 19 Survival 20
-
Decadent Strike 3d3, Dagger Damage Bonus 4d6

18th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 11/Tall Tale 7
+13
+9
+12
+5
Climb 21 Hide 21 Jump 21 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 21 Listen 17 Move Silently 21 Spot 19 Survival 21
Rebirth of Flames Devotion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?476110-3-5-PF-GitP-Regulars-as-Domains-And-Domain-Feats/page11)Ilv
Stone Rat Trick +15

19th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 12/Tall Tale 7
+14
+10
+13
+6
Climb 22 Hide 22 Jump 22 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 22 Listen 17 Move Silently 22 Spot 19 Survival 22
-
Flawless Stone Rat Style

20th
Stone Rat Priest of Decadence 13/Tall Tale 7
+14
+10
+13
+6
Climb 23 Hide 23 Jump 23 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 23 Listen 17 Move Silently 23 Spot 19 Survival 23
-
Climb Anything, Dagger Damage Bonus +5d6

What? Why can't my sweet spot be level 3? :smalltongue:

Okay, this is just where I wanted to highlight something fun: you threaten as though you were wielding a reach weapon, and you can also move up to a creature you hit (I have no idea whether "Pull yourself adjacent to any creature or object he strikes" allows you to go around the back of a medium creature - reasonable - whether it allows you to go around the back of a wall section - unreasonable - and whether or not it provokes attacks of opportunity). Further, you have combat reflexes (only this version is actually slightly better as it allows you to keep your old AoO on top of having extra ones for high DEX) and he also gets two more awesome cool feats (to the point where I actually made him a human because I couldn't decide which to go for): one allows him to attack with two weapons as a standard action or attack of opportunity, and one allows him to offset the TWF penalty and deal more damage. It only works with the weapons of stone rat style which are, uhm, daggers. Also, you can deal damage reduction damage and this is awesome. The hardness damage thing allows you and a few friends to break your way through a stone wall in a minute or two (Three feet of hewn stone would survive 180 attacks from you, but thanks to your ability to break its hardness, you can take it out in 50).

Yeah, so this is generally a ridiculously fun level and I love everything about it.

Anyway, at this level, you're basically just a sit-there-and-threaten type of guy, although your ability to tear down walls is quite funny. Also, you have the skills to sneak around places, so you're not a godawful assassin either. Not to mention that your standard action attack can drop most second-level NPCs.

Lurk likes caves and stabbing people. He just likes to play tricks, hide and run around, and generally watch people run around in confusion. He's pretty straight-up chaotic, maybe evil too. But hey, we can rebuild him. We have the morality.You can climb with your feet. FROM A DISTANCE. This is an outrageously fun class. Oh, and we're now wielding four daggers I guess? Because that's a thing. And they deal 2d6 bonus damage, rather than 1d6. To put that into context, remember that wall? You can take it down, personally, in one minute. So yeah, I sense the two signature abilities of this class coming online in succession, which is nice.

By this point, Lurk has basically mastered the fullness of stone rat style, and its roots as a climbing technique as well as a combat one. So there's that. He also joins the other PCs in their random hijinks, and likes going with them on their crazy adventures. Lurk begins to understand that maybe there's more to life than just climbing and stabbing people, but that doesn't really manifest itself......Until now.

Now, you take your first tall tale level, and become not just to make stories, but to be the story. Also, you now have a chance to daze people with all of your attacks. That's not relevant to stories, but I decided to mention it anyway. And since you have, uh, eight attacks, um, yeah... also, subtle cut is just cruel. You can make an attack that deals 1d4+3d6+6 damage, with a mundane dagger, and then you reduce someone's speed by the same amount? Yeah, that's mean. Average of 19 damage, so do that twice and you've reduced someone to full-action five-foot moves. Saves? What do you mean saves? You get your AC save, duh! Yes, this ability is silly. Yes, Combat School's daze effect also triggers. Yes, that one at least allows a save (not an easy one, though: DC 18 is pretty tough at this level.).

Anyway, yeah, by this point you're the god of climbing. Not only can you hang from your feet on a ceiling anything from 15 to 30 feet high (ie most cielings) and attack people from outside even reach weapon range, but you can also just land on them and full attack them because reasons, and then jump up and attach yourself to the cieling again in the same round, again because reasons.

Oh, and you also have trapfinding and improved grapple. Like you were gonna use those. I mean, IG is useful to get out of a grapple if you're in one, only because you can attack with light weapons in a grapple and stone rat trick is weird, you can put yourself 5 feet away and therefore out of grapple range.

Oh, I should mention harrying pursuit too. Basically, it's to stop people escaping with the withdraw action. I don't know if Zaydos understands how immediate action movement works (I suspect he does, but the way the feat is written is bizarre), but the kicker is that because the immediate action is in response to the enemy moving, you can move the moment they leave one of your threatened squares, meaning that you can move your threatened area back on top of them, and also move to block their run or charge path (or to avoid being charged) so if someone on the very edge of your threatened area tries withdrawing, running or charging, you're seven steps ahead of them. It does slow you down on your next turn, though, but that's fine. All the more reason for you to full attack!

Now, of course, at this point, Lurk is setting off to create his own epic tale! Of, uhm, epicness and taleness! And it's gonna involve climbing and stabbing things! Old habits die hard, okay?I'm calling it now: the netbook of feats, the stone rat priest of decadence and the tall tale were not made to be used together. Why do I say that? Because this is the level where I can climb with one foot at my base land speed. From a 15 foot range. Yup. I think I officially win climbing forever. Oh, and also I can attack with the other three limbs, and full attack as a standard action (Thanks, Troacctid, your contribution is appreciated.)

Also, I kinda wanna dark chaos shuffle all of my random bonus feats into something more useful, but whatever. SF climb you guys. Also, I think I get SF move silently as a bonus with my SF hide as well, but I'm not sure? The skill points are already doing weird things at this point...

Also, I am oddly good at grappling. Huh. This is fine, because I can do all kinds of crazy things with the daggers that I'm allowed to use in a grapple, so totally not complaining.

Now, Lurk has almost finished his epic tale. He's collected the legendary macguffin, saved the princess, slain the dragon - probably by landing on the damnable thing and making two full attacks for 16 daze attempts and 304 damage average ignoring criticals (and also ignoring, of course, that he might miss. Which seems unlikely, actually, given the random attack bonuses he gets and the fact that he can hide from nearly everything. Like, next level he's practically immune to divinations too. Anyway, by that point, he's only got one thing left to do. One thing that he never managed to do......to master his chosen art. To climb the highest mountain and the fastest waterfall, not to mention the deepest dungeon. To climb... anything.

Which is why it's cool that his de facto capstone is called that. I mean, Ultimate Stone Rat Style would have been cool too, but c'mon, Climb Anything? CLIMB ANYTHING? And one of the examples is a WATERFALL? Lurk wants that. Lurk wants that so bad. It would make the greatest story ever, right? And after all, stone rat style is really about climbing, not fighting, right? Not that this stops him upping his dagger damage to 5d6, making attacks as though all his weapons were wounding (oh, and he can take 10 on attack rolls too...), and apparently climbing creatures. Yep. That's something else Climb Anything does. No, it doesn't harm the creature. Yes, you're sticking daggers in it. Why do you ask?

Also Rebirth of Flames Devotion is a hilarious feat. Oh, you killed me? Take a CL=HD uncapped fireball to the face, suckah! And no, you didn't kill me. Sucks to be you.

So this is where the adventure ends: at the lowest depths of the lowest dungeon, where no mortal dares to climb. But then, Lurk is no longer truly mortal...Credit to JormengandJor, ZaydosZay, The Netbook of FeatsNoF, Frank and K's Races of WarRoW, TroacctidTcc, and IllvenIlv for supplying class, other class and a feat, three feats, two more feats, another feat and another feat. Listed in order of appearance. B Indicates a bonus feat. You knew that.

Daak, The Overlord of Kher Keep

Classes Used Inventor (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?441142-Base-Class-Contest-XXX-A-Study-in-Beige), Spellshaper (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?390385-Base-Class-Contest-XXVI-Flipping-the-Table), and Dragonsoul Acolyte (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?367155-Base-Class-Contest-XXIV-Will-Breed-for-Class)

Prossh the Skyraider. Prossh, The Scourge of Kher Ridges. With wings and mane of blazing fire, the young red dragon flew over the mountain range in search of a lair. A humble cave caught his brilliant firey eyes and when he flew down to investigate he found it was already inhabited by little rust-scaled lizard creatures. Kobolds were known to inhabit the Kher Ridges, but this tribe seemed to be thriving and had a nice keep set up already. Prossh introduced himself to the leader of the Kobolds, Rohgahh, and offered him a deal. Use of the Keep and tribute in exchange for protection. Rohgahh refused, not wanting to pay fealty to anyone else.

After Rohgahh's untimely death, Prossh and the kobolds came to an alliance. When Prossh would attack the outskirts of a town and, while the guard responded to the dragon, the kobolds would sneak into the now defenseless town and take any valuables they could carry. In return, Prossh protected the kobolds from the natural predators of the mountains. This was a very good arrangement for Prossh, since it made building his hoard lower risk for a higher reward.

As the reputation of The Scourge of Kher Ridges grew, it was natural that adventurers would be hired to slay him. Luckily for the great dragon, kobolds are crafty little trapmakers and ambushers, but none were so crafty as a young Kobold named Daak. Daak wasn't the most naturally gifted kobold. He wasn't strong, he wasn't tough, he wasn't even all that smart, but he WAS cunning. He had a love for mechanics, even beyond simple trapmaking. He would spend days in the craftsbold's workshop tinkering with devices. He planned new and inventive ways to kill invaders. One of his favorite tools was a pressure plate that triggerd only on weights over 50lbs, so kobolds could run away with safety while adventurers that dared persue were crushed, burned, burried, or worse. When Daak developed the Land Mine, Prossh was so impressed with his ingenuity that he made Daak his second in command and personal strategic adviser. (Level 5: Daak, Trapmaster General)

He studied the struture of the mountains, and created a more efficient way to dig out caverns using explosives. What once took weeks took merely hours. Soon Kher Keep was a labyrinth of corridors, dead ends, pitfalls, and hideaways. Daak felt at one with Kher Ridges, and through that he noticed a power inside this mountain. A beating heart of fiery mana deep within. When he tried to tap into it the power felt amazing. Although as he held onto it, it began to burn him. The pain forced him to let go. Excited at this new prospect, he tried again, this time trying to channel it out and to his surprise a spark escaped his fingertips. Daak was giddy with this new power. He trained and explored this newfound talent to see what he could do. When Prossh caught wind of his ability, he was elated. Daak applied his new craft to his old one, turning deadly and explosive ambushes on dragonslayers into a dungeon of legends. (Level 10: Daak, Task Mage)

The efficiency of destroying would-be raiders was turning rather lucrative for the Dragon. He needed to go on fewer and fewer raids himself, as adventurers were starting to venture to Kher Keep on reputation alone, bringing their own wealth with them. Subsequently leaving it there. As Daak was studying more on how to draw mana from the land, He ventured beyond the mountain into the swamps surrounding Kher Ridges. There, among the biting insects and lurking vermin he found a new type of mana to draw. Unlike the burning of the mountain, this was a cold and hungry force. It was frightning at first, but as he learned how to use it, Daak was pleased with the new power. However as he did so, he began to notice things about Prossh. He hardly left the keep anymore, relying on the reputation of the dungeon to bring him wealth. Wealth that he didn't earn. Wealth that should rightfully belong to Daak. (Level 13: Daak, The Slayer of Prossh)

Fortune smiled upon Daak when one day an adventurer seeking to slay Prossh had died having his skin flayed from the bones by a swarm of locusts. Among the bones, he found a Weapon forged to slay dragons (+3 dragonbane short sword of Frost) With this newfound weapon, Daak formulated a plan. He told Prossh of a passage he uncovered, guarded by a golem, and he needed the dragon's help to get past it and retrieve the wealth behind it. Prossh had no reason not to trust Daak, so he went along the winding corridors. However, Daak had had his brethren plant explosives ahead. At the designated point Daak turned from the dragon just as the cave-in was triggered. Prossh managed to turn just as the rocks crushed his neck. Daak walked towards the incapacitated dragon and, without a word, plunged the dragonbane into Prossh's head. The blade still rests in the Prossh's skull; whispers among the Kobolds tell that the blade is now haunted by Prosshy's spirit.

With Prossh dead, Daak claimed leadership over the Kobolds, and took ownership over Prossh's horde. He spent much time meditating on the folly of Prossh, and to a lesser extent Rohgahh. A dragon of Prossh's legend had surely kept his clan safe, and if news of Prossh's demise spread there would be no telling who would come to claim the horde. Thus Daak devised a plan, none outside the clan could know of Prossh's death. He mandated that the raids would resume, as "Collecting Tribute for Prossh". Daak's desire to become more of a Dragon than Prossh had become manifested itself in a very real way. As he slept in Prossh's hoard, he took on more draconic features. As the secret Overlord of Kher, Daak made Kher Keep a legendary dungeon of death that was spoken in hushed tones throughout the nation. Just how he wanted it. (Level 20: Daak, Overlord of Kher)

Starting Ability Scores (With Racial): Str 8, Dex 14, Con 8, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 16

Level
Class
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Skills
Feats
Class Features

1st
Inventor
+0
+0
+0
+2
Craft(trapmaking) 4, Concentration 4, Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) 4, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 4, Profession (Miner) 4, Spellcraft 4
Inventive
Demolition (1st)

2nd
Inventor
+1
+0
+0
+3
Craft(trapmaking) 5, Concentration 5, Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) 5, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 5, Profession (Miner) 5, Spellcraft 5

Repulsion (1st)

3rd
Inventor
+2
+1
+1
+3
Craft(trapmaking) 6, Concentration 6, Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) 6, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 6, Profession (Miner) 6, Spellcraft 6
Skill Focus (Craft(Trapmaking))
Demolition (2nd)

4th
Inventor
+3
+1
+1
+4
Craft(trapmaking) 7, Concentration 7, Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) 7, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 7, Profession (Miner) 7, Spellcraft 7

Dynamics (1st)

5th
Inventor
+3
+1
+1
+4
Craft(trapmaking) 8, Concentration 8, Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) 8, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8, Profession (Miner) 8, Spellcraft 8

Demolition (3rd)

6th
Spellshaper
+3
+1
+1
+6
Craft(trapmaking) 9, Concentration 9, Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) 9, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8, Profession (Miner) 9, Spellcraft 8
Practiced Spellcaster
Spellcasting, Manabond, Favored Color(Red)

7th
Spellshaper
+4
+1
+1
+7
Craft(trapmaking) 10, Concentration 10, Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) 10, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8, Profession (Miner) 10, Spellcraft 8

Summon Creature I

8th
Spellshaper
+4
+2
+2
+7
Craft(trapmaking) 11, Concentration 11, Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) 11, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8, Profession (Miner) 11, Spellcraft 8

Artifice

9th
Spellshaper
+5
+2
+2
+8
Craft(trapmaking) 12, Concentration 12, Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) 12, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8, Profession (Miner) 12, Spellcraft 8
Extraordinary Trapsmith
Summon Creature II

10th
Spellshaper
+6
+2
+2
+8
Craft(trapmaking) 13, Concentration 13, Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) 13, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8, Profession (Miner) 13, Spellcraft 8

New Color Known(Black)

11th
Spellshaper
+6/+1
+3
+3
+9
Craft(trapmaking) 14, Concentration 14, Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) 14, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8, Profession (Miner) 14, Spellcraft 8

Summon Creature III

12th
Spellshaper
+7/+2
+3
+3
+9
Craft(trapmaking) 15, Concentration 15, Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) 15, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8, Profession (Miner) 15, Spellcraft 8
Spell Focus(Conjuration)
Mana Ramp (Seething Song)

13th
Spellshaper
+7/+2
+3
+3
+10
Craft(trapmaking) 16, Concentration 16, Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) 16, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8, Profession (Miner) 16, Spellcraft 8

Summon Creature IV

14th
Dragonsoul Acolyte
+7/+2
+5
+3
+12
Craft(trapmaking) 17, Concentration 17, Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) 17, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8, Profession (Miner) 17, Spellcraft 8

Tutelary Dragon (Red), Tutelary Skills, Breath Weapon (1dX+1/2 Charisma modifier), Darkvision, Dragonblooded, Hoard

15th
Dragonsoul Acolyte
+8/+3
+6
+3
+13
Craft(trapmaking) 18, Concentration 18, Knowlege (Architecture and engineering) 18, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8, Profession (Miner) 18, Spellcraft 8
Augmented Summoning
Cantrips, Claws, Fundamentalis Diet

16th
Dragonsoul Acolyte
+9/+4
+6
+4
+13
Craft(trapmaking) 19, Concentration 19, Knowlege (Architecture and engineering) 19, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8, Profession (Miner) 19, Spellcraft 8

Breath Weapon (2dX+1/2 Charisma modifier), Lesser Energy Resistance, Draconic Immunities

17th
Dragonsoul Acolyte
+10/+54
+7
+4
+14
Craft(trapmaking) 20, Concentration 20, Knowlege (Architecture and engineering) 20, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8, Profession (Miner) 20, Spellcraft 8

Scales (+1), Spell Pool (1st), Lesser Draconic Aspect

18th
Dragonsoul Acolyte
+10/+5
+7
+4
+13
Craft(trapmaking) 21, Concentration 21, Knowlege (Architecture and engineering) 21, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8, Profession (Miner) 21, Spellcraft 8
Spell Focus (evocation)
Draconic Body (+2 Strength), Skill Aptitude, Breath Weapon (3dX + Charisma modifier)

19th
Dragonsoul Acolyte
+11/+6/+1
+8
+5
+14
Craft(trapmaking) 22, Concentration 22, Knowlege (Architecture and engineering) 22, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8, Profession (Miner) 22, Spellcraft 8

Dragon Form 1/day, Draconic Spirit (+2 Charisma)

20th
Dragonsoul Acolyte
+12/+7/+2
+8
+5
+14
Craft(trapmaking) 23, Concentration 23, Knowlege (Architecture and engineering) 23, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8, Profession (Miner) 23, Spellcraft 8

Dragon Type, Energy Resistance, Spell Pool (2nd level), Breath Weapon (4dX + Charisma modifier)

Invention Points: 28

Typical Inventions Prepared:
Elemental Jacket (Cold) (5)
Force Armor (2)
Force Shield (2)
Demolition Charge x3 (12)
Landmine (6)

Tactics
Level 5: Daak, Trapmaster General: Daak prefers to work behind the scenes, subtly. He'll use Demolition charges to close off passageways and force a fight to his terms. One particularly devious tactic is to set up a landmine while his allies are engaging the invaders. Once set he will signal a retreat to get his allies across before it arms itself. If he is caught unprepared, he will immediately take a total defense and move for the nearest Choke Point Trap (See: Races of the Dragon Web Enhancement) while letting out a whistle to alert any kobolds in the next rooms. he will continue runing until he reaches an ally. The Keep is littered with mechanical traps that he can run past without difficulty, Automatic Phalanxes, Pits filled with centepedes, tubs of oil to knock over as he runs past. Fair fights are how you die.

Level 10: Daak, Task Mage: Much like before, Daak would always prefer to run than have a fair fight. However his magical abilities give him a distinct advantage as he draws off magic while evading persuers. For example he will throw a shock in an attempt to interrupt a spellcaster that tries to cast a spell on him. If an enemy gets stuck in a choke point trap, he may summon an earth elemental to block the path, or he'll throw a fireball to light an oil slick while his persuers are standing on it. Daak may also use wands he's looted from foolish adventurers

Level 13: Daak, The Slayer of Prossh: The visciousness and ambition that his use of black mana granted him, gives Daak a no-holds-barred attitude to combat. He will often open with a crossbow bolt and a shock as he always had, but depending on his opponent, his tactics will vary. He may summon a swarm of locusts to cover his enemies, while his allies continue to attack at range. An alip summoned can cripple a party poorly prepared, following up with a mind rot on those weakened. A Terror spell to incapacitate a spellcaster. A Seething Song into a Fireball can make short work of a group in the narrow corrodors of the dungeon. Combined with knowledge of the location, and knowing when and where to run, Daak becomes a force to be taken seriously.

Level 20: Daak, Overlord of Kher: As the lord of Kher, Daak has the unbound resources of the late Prossh's horde and the spoils of failed invaders. He is less afraid of combat, yet he still prefers to fight indirectly or at least pose among the ordinary kobolds. Daak takes the oppurtunity to plan ahead for encounters, sometimes days in advance. Using scouts to find what adventurers are comming to slay "Prossh" as they trek through the swamps surrounding Kher Ridges, Daak sets his Horde bonus for them specifically. He will use his demolition skills and trapsmithing to separate his targets then take them out one at a time, Disabling them with a spell such as Glitterdust or Web then killing them with his spellshaping before they know what happened. He still does not like to engage in melee combat and, if pressed, will flee through trapped areas at the first sign that he might be injured. He's not a coward, but he is no fool about his own physical frailty.

Jormengand
2016-03-28, 01:54 PM
So, do we get judgements soon? :smalltongue: