PDA

View Full Version : Balancing Homebrewed Enemies D&D 3.5

Trask
2016-02-22, 06:26 PM
Hey guys, I'm making my own adventure for the first time. I'm springboarding off of Fright at Tristor and kind of going my own way with it, but I'm having a hard time with the enemies. The enemies are primarily cultists and the dungeon is just a 3 level sprawling dungeon. There are 5 players and they're all level 2, with all of them being pretty highly optimized. My question is, how do tell if the enemies are going to be ok for my players? They blew through Fright at Tristor very easily so I wanted to make this one harder. This will be my first time ever making my own adventure and these enemies are made up.

My idea is that there would be a large number of the generic "cultist" enemies to just be the primary force, cultist "fanatics" would serve as heavy hitters dispersed into the encounters as well as a very few amount of cultist clerics accompanied by a miniboss and a final boss. Where do I start calculating the stats for these enemies, to find just the right amount of challenge?

gtwucla
2016-02-23, 08:57 AM
This: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/monsterCreation.html is a good resource for homebrewed enemies.