PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Feedback on class abilities - Elemental Discharge & Power

Citan
2016-02-23, 09:57 AM
Hi all :)

In the course of my current homebrew design, I thought about several abilities revolving about the idea of using a reaction when you receive "elemental" damage (fire/cold/lightning/thunder).

My idea was to design these abilities so that they "auto-level" with class level: I usually like this kind of mechanism because...
1) it's hard to get OP combinations with multiclass so you don't have to think so much about it.
2) it allows (imo) abilities to feel still relevant at later levels.

The thing is, after taking some (long) time away from my draft and reading back, I feel some have the potential of being OP at highest levels.

Thanks in advance for your feedback (plz note that in my homebrew, "primal" is clearly defined as one of the following damage types: cold, fire, thunder, lightning.
Also note that all these abilities need the character to wield its "bound weapon".

Elemental Discharge

When you are harmed by an attack or a spell which deals primal damage, you can use a reaction to wield your weapon as a conductor, brandishing it above your head. You discharge an explosion of primal energy of 5 feet radius, centered on you, of the same type(s) as the triggering damage. Each creature in this radius must make a Constitution or Dexterity saving throw (its choice). On a failed save, it takes damage equal to twice your Elemancer level, and half as much damage on a successful save.

This is an ability you can get as soon as lvl 3.
Inspiration was obviously the Storm Sorcerer's Heart of the Storm and Storm Fury. :)
Allowing a choice between saves was partly for fluff, partly to avoid it being too strong.
Also, it affects every creature including allies so it cannot be spammed every turn (class is a bit biaised towards melee) and you yourself still suffer the damage.
Still, I realize now that as it is, it may be overpowered past lvl 10 or so because, for a single reaction, you affect more creatures than Storm Fury and for better damage,and the class also get ways to reduce elemental damage later.

Would it be enough to make the "full damage" equal to the class level? Or should I also void the damage in case of a successful save? Or something else?

Elemental Power

Elemental Power: When you or your bond weapon are hit by an attack or a spell which deals primal damage, you can use your reaction to keep the incoming energy in a sustainable manner. As long as you maintain Concentration and for a maximum duration of 1 minute, your weapon is considered magical and deal additional damage equals to 1d6 per 20 triggering damage, up to 5d6 maximum.
This is obviously a take from Elemental Weapon. :)
Reasons for not just telling "you can cast Elemental Weapon" are...
1) I wanted only the extra damage.
2) This class has very specific abilities depending on a custom resource but not spellcasting "per se", so it would be difficult.
3) I want to encourage players to put themselves in danger to gain great rewards.
4) I felt making a progressive gain depending on damage suffered was necessary for coherence with the class balance and fluff.

So...
a) Are the mechanics clear enough?
b) Are they simple enough to be actually used (I'm a bit worried about having to take the suffered damage and do a conversion)?
c) Is it balanced or too powerful?

Thanks in advance for all your feedbacks.:smallwink:

Almir
2016-02-23, 09:52 PM
I don't know about the first one as I can't see the rest of the class's features, but the second one is basically just Absorb Elements tweaked to make it scale with class level rather than slot level

Citan
2016-02-24, 07:04 AM
I don't know about the first one as I can't see the rest of the class's features, but the second one is basically just Absorb Elements tweaked to make it scale with class level rather than slot level
Hi!
I didn't publish yet the rest of the class because I'm currently overhauling many things so the balance is unclear. :)

I hoped though that people would be able to give me a feedback on this "in vacuum", by comparing it to other "reaction" class features such as Uncanny Dodge (halve damage), Evasion (avoid all damage on DEX save), Wrath of the Storm from Cleric (2d8 damage 5/long rest) and especially Storm's Fury (automatic sorcerer level lightning damage as a reaction, no limit, but against a single melee attacker) which I took as a basis.

Anyways, thanks for your feedback. :)