PDA

View Full Version : 5e homebrew for 4e's Possum Amulet

Millstone85
2016-02-24, 06:42 PM
Back in 4e, my character received the following item:
Possum Amulet Level 23+
When you're deeply wounded, this amulet stems the flow of blood to prevent you from dying.
Lvl 23 +5 425,000 gp Lvl 28 +6 2,125,000 gp
Item Slot: Neck
Enhancement: Fortitude, Reflex, and Will
Power (Daily): No Action. Trigger: An attack reduces you to 0 hit points or fewer. Effect: You are instead reduced to 1 hit point and knocked prone. Enemies believe that you have been reduced to 0 hit points, and you gain total concealment from them until the end of your next turn.Regarding the confusing last sentence (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?450492-Help-me-understand-the-possum-amulet), the DM decided that the character would be invisible for one round while an illusion of her corpse is projected.

We are now moving to 5e, starting at 5th level, and I get to keep the character and her item. Here is what I believe should be the new description of the item:
Amulet of Playing Possum
Wondrous item, rare (requires attunement)
While wearing this amulet, you gain a +1 bonus to saving throws. You can use an action to cast the death ward spell on yourself and the amulet can't be used this way again until the next dawn. If the death ward spell ends itself before its full duration, you can use your reaction to cast the mislead spell, with the difference that your illusory double appears to die. You can't animate this illusory corpse and it has no senses.This is not exactly the same. The new version is weaker in that Death Ward only lasts for 8 hours, but it is stronger in that the character does not fall prone and Mislead can be concentrated on for 1 hour.

Is it too powerful an item for a 5th level character? Are there better ways to convert the possum amulet? Thanks.

Flashy
2016-02-24, 06:44 PM
That seems fine to me. Powerful, but not game breakingly so.

Kane0
2016-02-24, 06:49 PM
Sounds fine. Also flavorful.

Millstone85
2016-02-24, 09:15 PM
That seems fine to me. Powerful, but not game breakingly so.
Sounds fine. Also flavorful.Neat!

Here is a DMG-like version in case somebody else wants to use it:
http://i.imgur.com/F3jPqhJ.png