PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Heavy Metal Bard Class Creation Help 3.5e

Wabbajackbodom
2016-02-24, 09:56 PM
So I came up with this idea to do a D&D (3.5e) campaign revolving around Heavy Metal. The idea is that this continent is split into 10 different city states run by different subgenres of Metal. Each of these city states are inhabited by Metal Bards that are based on their individual subgenre. I've been working on creating classes for each of these types of bards.
I want each of these bards to really show their influence by their genre. Like Black Metal Bards should either be able to be Satan-driven Cultists or badass unholy Necromancers. My issue is that I am uncertain how to keep them bardic while throwing in these other feats and qualities. Also how to add in songtitles into the spell list or however it's supposed to work. I'm just uncertain. I've been stuck on this for months and it's the only thing hanging up my campaign from working. Ideas guys? I get the feeling I'm not wording this quite right but this is the first time I've tried to DM or create my own class.

XionUnborn01
2016-02-24, 11:38 PM
To start, what genres are you planning on using? That gives everyone a place to start thinking.

Another thing to remember is that, unless your PCs are going to take the class, you don't have to build it from the ground up. Use normal bards and just make minor tweaks to the class and change how you describe spells and abilities. Maybe instead of fascinate, one of the genres creates an irresistible dance effect, insanity, confusion, or other effect.

Instead of inspiring courage, maybe they cause fear, shrink opponents while they might rage, or grow allies.

Wabbajackbodom
2016-02-25, 12:09 AM
I was intending it to be a playable class after the fact or even during if one of them decides to learn from them and multi-class.
The genres I'm using are Black Metal, Deathcore, Death Metal, Doom Metal, Folk Metal, Glam Metal, Heavy Metal, Nu Metal, Power Metal, and Thrash Metal.

Gelscressor
2016-02-25, 01:55 PM
You may want to consider drawing inspiration from http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?471374-Homebrew-Disciple-of-Metal-PrC-(Sooth) .