PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next RakiReborn's take on some commonly homebrewed sub-classes [PEACH]

RakiReborn
2016-02-25, 12:01 PM
Hi GiantITP,

I have seen a couple of common homebrews all around this and other forums, and i made my own adaption of them. Here they come:

Spellcasting (lvl3):

As Eldritch Knight slots and known spells and cantrips
CON mod
Evocation and Transmutation spell schools from sorcerer list. (suggestions for schools other than abjuration are welcome, still doubting on this one)

Rage Casting (lvl6):
At level 6 you have learned to cast spells while raging, and empower your spells with your rage. You may cast spells with a duration of instantaneous while raging. If the spell deals damage to one or more targets, you add your rage bonus damage to the damage of these spells and they count as attacking for keeping your rage up. Additionally, when you enter a rage on your turn, you can use your action to cast a spell with concentration. If you do, the duration changes to ‘until your rage ends’, and you have advantage on constitution saves to keep concentrating on that spell. When you use your action this way, your rage doesn’t end when you don’t attack or take damage until the end of your turn (so one turn delay for the end effects).

Remnants of Magic (lvl10)
Starting at 10th level, your rage is so furious that casting a spell leaves some of the magic in your body. While raging, when you cast a spell that deals damage, you gain resistance to that damage type until the end of your next turn.

Rage Strike (lvl14):
At 14th level, you learn how to make your weapon strikes undercut a creature’s resistance to your spells. When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, that creature has disadvantage on the next saving throw it makes against a spell you cast before the end of your next turn or you have advantage on the first spell attack you make until the end of your next turn.
Also called 'Madness Domain' i believe.

Chaos’ Insight (lvl1):
At 1st level, you learn how people think, so you can inflict chaos upon their mind. You gain proficiency in the Insight skill, and your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses the Insight skill.

Chaos’ Words (lvl1):
Also at 1st level, because of your chaos’s insight, you always seem to know what tics the mind of those around you. You learn the Vicious Mockery cantrip. This cantrip counts as a Cleric cantrip for you and doesn’t count against the amount of cantrips you can know.

Channel Divinity: Chaotic Mind (lvl2):
Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to open your mind to other creatures, showing them the chaos in your mind. Choose one creature within 30ft of you. That creature must succeed on a wisdom saving throw or suffer the effects of a short-term madness at random (DMG p260). The effect is only known to the player of the creature and lasts for one minute.

Perceive Chaos (lvl6):
Starting at 6th level, you have learned to let others see the world as the chaos it is. You can use your action to let a creature within 30ft of you perceive the chaos in the world as you see it. That creature must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be stunned until the end of your next turn, unable to grasp what it sees. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (a minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Divine Strike (lvl8)
At 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with the chaos in your mind. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 psychic damage to the target. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8.

Chaos’ Mental Protection (lvl17)
At 17th level, your chaos strengthens your mind. You have advantage on Wisdom and Intelligence saving throws.
Expanded Spell List:
Soon to come

Well-traveled (lvl1):
You have travelled far and wide, learning how to take care of yourself, and how to travel more quickly. You gain proficiency in the Survival skill and martial weapons. Additionally, your movement speed increases by 10ft.

Channel Divinity: Divine Proficiency (lvl2):
Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to gain proficiency in one tool or vehicle for 2 hours.

Channel Divinity: Divine Step (lvl6):
Starting at 6th level, you can use your Channel Divinity to cast the spell Misty Step without expending a spell slot. After casting the spell this way, the spell is considered a known cleric spell for one minute to you.

Momentum Strike (lvl8)
At 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with the momentum of your moving. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an additional 2d4 damage of your weapons type if you have moved at least 10ft that turn. At 14th level, the additional damage increases to 4d4.

Master of Travels (lvl17)
At 17th level, your deity grants you the knowledge of spells regarding transportation. You add the following spells to your list of spells you can prepare:

Arcane Gate
Teleport
Teleportation Circle
Additionally, whenever you must make a check regarding teleportation, you may add your Wisdom modifier to the roll.
Spellbow (lvl3):
At 3rd level, you learn a ritual that creates a magical bond between yourself and one ranged weapon with the ammunition property (usually a bow or crossbow, but others may be used too). You perform the ritual over the course of 1 hour, which can be done during a short rest. The weapon must be within your reach throughout the ritual, at the conclusion of which you touch the weapon and forge the bond.
Once you have bonded a weapon to yourself, you can’t be disarmed of that weapon unless you are incapacitated. If it is on the same plane of existence, you can summon that weapon as a bonus action on your turn, causing it to teleport instantly to your hand.

Archery Casting (lvl3):
Also at 3rd level, you adopt a special kind of spellcasting using your Spellbow: Archery Casting. You learn two damaging cantrips that use an attack roll from the Wizard spell list. You learn one additional cantrip at 7th level, and one at 15th level. You can cast these cantrips through your Spellbow, using it as an arcane focus. The cantrips gain the following benefits when fired through your spellbow:
- You gain the bonuses to hit and damage from the Archery fighting style and +x weapons, if you have them.
- They gain the range of your Spellbow and follow the range rules (phb p147)
NOTE: I know it is adding to hit to bounded accuracy, but with the different homebrews i've seen online it is usually done as imbuement, adding the damage to the arrow damage, and still using the fighting style if they have it. This removes the BA cost and the arrow damage, and is more like i see it; shooting firebolts or ray of frosts out of a bow or xbow.

Elemental Smite (lvl7):
At level 7th level, you have learned to enhance the regular arrows you shoot with your Spellbow. Choose two types of elemental damage when you gain this features (choose Fire/Cold/Thunder/Lightning/Acid). You may choose an additional damage type at 15th level. When you hit with a ranged attack using your Spellbow, you may deal expend one Ranger spell slot to deal elemental damage of one of your chosen damage types to the target, in addition to the weapon’s damage. This damage is 2d4 for a 1st level spell slot, plus 1d4 for each spell level higher than 1st, up to a maximum of 5d4.
NOTE: This is (ofcourse) based off the divine smite, but reduced the die by two steps; one for choosing the damage type, one for being ranged.

Greater Archery Casting (lvl11):
At 11th level, you learned to cast greater spells through your spellbow. You learn 4 spells from the wizard spell list. You learn two additional spells at 13th level and at 17th level. These spells must have a range of other than self, and be of a level you can cast. You can cast these spells through your spellbow, using it as an arcane focus. The spells gain the following benefits when fired through your spellbow:
- If it requires an attack roll, you gain the bonuses to hit and damage from the Archery fighting style and +x weapons, if you have them.
- They gain the range of your Spellbow and follow the range rules (phb p147)

Elemental Ammunition (lvl15):
At 15th level, you have learned to conjure elemental ammunition out of thin air. When making a ranged attack with your spellbow, you may conjure an elemental arrow/dart as part of the attack. When using elemental ammunition for your attack, you do not need regular ammunition. The arrows deal elemental damage of your choice from the elemental damage types you chose for the Elemental Smite feature equal to the regular weapon damage. Any bonuses to the attack or damage rolls are applied to the elemental ammunition too.

It is just a veeeery small list as of now, but i will be adding more oldies to the list in the future. Probably starting with the Spellbow as a ranger sub-class and the chaos domain for the cleric. If you know a common homebrewed sub-class that i haven't made yet - if you tell me, i will probably make my version of it and add it to the list :)

Any feedback, suggestions and ideas are welcome. Any comments on the balance are welcome. Hell, even if you just say you dont like it it is welcome (but please do tell why xD)

EDIT (25-2-2016): Added the Arcane Archer (renamed it from spellbow so i could use the name for a feature, and both names are common for the same general idea)
EDIT (28-2-2016): Changed the Elemental Smite to having to choose the elemental damage types beforhand. Changed Force Ammunition to Elemental Ammunition to keep an elemental theme to the Arcane Archer.
EDIT (4-3-2016): Added the Chaos Domain. Changed Abjuration to Transmutation in the Rage Mage spellcasting feature.

PoeticDwarf
2016-02-25, 02:43 PM
Maybe a duskblade? I'll give feedback soon

RakiReborn
2016-02-25, 05:09 PM
Added the Arcane Archer. Will make a Duskblade sometime soon. As far as i know, it is mostly about imbuing its weapon with spells, releasing the spell on a hit, right? And maybe the smite with force damage. I'll research it some more and make my own take of it ;)

Flashy
2016-02-25, 09:11 PM
If you know a common homebrewed sub-class that i haven't made yet - if you tell me, i will probably make my version of it and add it to the list :)

Only subclasses? Because I'd swear everyone around here has done an arcane half-casting class.

RakiReborn
2016-02-26, 03:17 AM
For this thread only sub-classes ;) i have made some full classes already (including an arcane half caster), but am still tweeking them or finishing them. Those i will post later when i am positive enough of them. For now, i mostly keep it to sub-classes, as they are a little less work :p

Sir cryosin
2016-02-26, 01:11 PM
So if I have the sharpshooter feat with long bow I can cast/shoot chill touch up to 600ft? And how does booming blade and green flame blade work does it work at all. And I love the archetype but I afraid it to powerful because the way I read it yout cab stack the cantrips lv scaling sharpshooter and hunters mark and eXtra attack. I'm not good at math and can't do the math right now but. That seams to be way to much damage. If I'm wrong about something let me know because I want to play this but my Dm might find it not balance. So I want to clarify things first so I can make a convincing statement for him to let me use it.

RakiReborn
2016-02-26, 01:56 PM
One by one:
Yes, with the sharpshooter feat and a longbow you can cast it up to 600ft, but with disadvantage (after 300ft because of long range rules). This is something that doesnt come up that much, but is a nice touch that makes it feel unique. The sharpshooter feat does NOT grant the -5/+10 part to the cantrips though, as they are still not weapon attacks.
Booming blade and greenflame blade wont work. They require a melee attack as part of the cantrip, and you cant do that when firing at range.
As i wrote it (at least meant it), it can only get the bonus from +x magic weapons (which you can also get with an arcane focus as a wizard or sorcerer and the like), and the bonus from the Archery fighting style (the only real gain this way). You cannot get any other things like extra atrack or hunters mark on it, as you are casting a cantip, not making an attack. It is just the cantrip that gains the bonusses from the feature. And later on higher lvl spells. Just remember that you either take the attack action (firing arrows) or the cast a spell action (fire a cantrip or lvl spell), and both are done through your spellbow.
I hope i cleared it up for you. Please tell me if you will use it - it is a huge compliment that you like it enough to play it ^^ if you have any other questions, please do ask, im happy to answer them :)

Sir cryosin
2016-02-27, 09:56 AM
So the new spell that you gain are they consider ranger spells or are they still wizard?
Edited: I like the force ammunition better because you feel like your shooting real arrows but still a arcane archer. Only problem I can see with that is if the DM make the player keep track of there arrows. What you can do is say " ever time you use a force arrow it comsum a nonmacical arrow from your quiver." So that now your arrows damage type is changed and is magical. With the add bonus of there are next to no monsters in the mm that is resistant to force damage.

RakiReborn
2016-02-28, 12:14 PM
So the new spell that you gain are they consider ranger spells or are they still wizard?
Edited: I like the force ammunition better because you feel like your shooting real arrows but still a arcane archer. Only problem I can see with that is if the DM make the player keep track of there arrows. What you can do is say " ever time you use a force arrow it comsum a nonmacical arrow from your quiver." So that now your arrows damage type is changed and is magical. With the add bonus of there are next to no monsters in the mm that is resistant to force damage.
The spells are considered Archery spells for you as i have them now. This means you can only use them with the feature, and not cast them without your spellbow. This is mostly for fluff reasons - you learn them as part of a specific type of casting, so you are only able to use them that way when you learn them through that feature. They do use your Wisdom as casting stat though. Will try to make it a little clearer in the description :)
The force ammunition is made for the extra 'arcane archer' feel, just like you said. The not having to keep track if your DM lets you do that with arrows is a neat little bonus. The force damage has no resistances (and only one immune), but magical weapon damage is only resisted by 1 (it is quite common to have some kind of magic weapon at lvl15), so that isn't really a gain. The ability is mostly there for fluff as it is now, and i'm not sure thats what a archetype capstone should have at 15th level.
The magic-piercing ammunition is a feature that lets you combine the arcane and archery parts. It is a fitting feature for a 15th level character, as it combines everything it got earlier. It gives you a neat boon to let you resist damage types of your spells. It does however doesnt really gives the 'i shoot arcane stuff' feel that force ammunition gives. That is why i am so indecised... If your DM allows you to take this archetype, do feel free to take either one (make sure you copy it to word or something in case i decide to remove the one you prefered :P)

Sir cryosin
2016-02-28, 01:59 PM
The spells are considered Archery spells for you as i have them now. This means you can only use them with the feature, and not cast them without your spellbow. This is mostly for fluff reasons - you learn them as part of a specific type of casting, so you are only able to use them that way when you learn them through that feature. They do use your Wisdom as casting stat though. Will try to make it a little clearer in the description :)
The force ammunition is made for the extra 'arcane archer' feel, just like you said. The not having to keep track if your DM lets you do that with arrows is a neat little bonus. The force damage has no resistances (and only one immune), but magical weapon damage is only resisted by 1 (it is quite common to have some kind of magic weapon at lvl15), so that isn't really a gain. The ability is mostly there for fluff as it is now, and i'm not sure thats what a archetype capstone should have at 15th level.
The magic-piercing ammunition is a feature that lets you combine the arcane and archery parts. It is a fitting feature for a 15th level character, as it combines everything it got earlier. It gives you a neat boon to let you resist damage types of your spells. It does however doesnt really gives the 'i shoot arcane stuff' feel that force ammunition gives. That is why i am so indecised... If your DM allows you to take this archetype, do feel free to take either one (make sure you copy it to word or something in case i decide to remove the one you prefered :P)

For your 15lv ability to keep it feeling more arcane archer
What you can do is this. You conjure a elemental arrow in doing so consumes a nonmacical arrow from your quiver this still counts as a weapon attack. This elemental arrow does the appropriate damage of elemental type you choose. It ignores the resistance of that elemental type. Then list the elemental types they can choose. That sounds like a good 15th lv cap to me for a arcane archer.

RakiReborn
2016-02-28, 03:59 PM
For your 15lv ability to keep it feeling more arcane archer
What you can do is this. You conjure a elemental arrow in doing so consumes a nonmacical arrow from your quiver this still counts as a weapon attack. This elemental arrow does the appropriate damage of elemental type you choose. It ignores the resistance of that elemental type. Then list the elemental types they can choose. That sounds like a good 15th lv cap to me for a arcane archer.
That is essentially what force ammo does now, as there is almost no resistance to force. The only extra thing is that you can exploit vulnerability to the elemental types. I am actually leaning towards giving in on the imbue arrow thing i usually see. Although i am still thinking of how to do it exactly... On the flipside - it is something i might make something exclusively for the Duskblade i am brewing at the moment. I'll keep thinking about it for a while more ;)
Thanks for thinking with me though :)

EDIT:
Scrap what i said before about the feature. Decided to make it more of an elemental theme as you suggested. Will change the lvl7 and lvl15 features now!

Sir cryosin
2016-02-28, 09:56 PM
It feels more balance now you can only have so many elemental types and all of the abilitys fit together

RakiReborn
2016-02-29, 05:47 PM
It feels more balance now you can only have so many elemental types and all of the abilitys fit together
Thanks, glad to hear that ^^ And thanks for giving me your thought so i could finish my idea of it ;)
Any thoughts on the other sub-classes?
Anyone else has any thoughts/ideas/suggestions? :)

Sir cryosin
2016-02-29, 06:55 PM
Thanks, glad to hear that ^^ And thanks for giving me your thought so i could finish my idea of it ;)
Any thoughts on the other sub-classes?
Anyone else has any thoughts/ideas/suggestions? :)

Think about adding transmutation spells to the rage mage.

RakiReborn
2016-03-04, 09:00 AM
Edited the OP:
Added the Chaos Domain. Changed Abjuration to Transmutation in the Rage Mage spellcasting feature.

About the Rage Mage spellcasting, i am thinking of making it use Evocation spells from the sorcerer spell list, and Transmutation spells from the druid spell list, but that might be too confusing and possibly too powerful. The problem i have with doing it only sorcerer spells is that it feels less nature-like as i want it to be, and doing it only Druid has too few nice Evocation spells in my opinion... Thoughts?

Oramac
2016-03-04, 12:43 PM
That Chaos Domain is really cool. I don't think there's any other player feature that causes Madness.

RakiReborn
2016-03-04, 01:57 PM
Thanks ^^ I must admit that i have seen it in a homebrew madness domain i have seen somewhere, but dont remember where exactly... i usually look at as much homebrews as possible to get inspiration for my own and give my own spin to it. So not all the credit goes to me ;) if anyone sees a feature they came up with, please do tell (and include link), so i can make a reference to it! (I should really put this in my signature after the weekend xD)

PoeticDwarf
2016-03-04, 03:26 PM
Thanks ^^ I must admit that i have seen it in a homebrew madness domain i have seen somewhere, but dont remember where exactly... i usually look at as much homebrews as possible to get inspiration for my own and give my own spin to it. So not all the credit goes to me ;) if anyone sees a feature they came up with, please do tell (and include link), so i can make a reference to it! (I should really put this in my signature after the weekend xD)

Was it the madness domain of Dire_Stirge ? It's in his signature can't link it on my mobile phone

RakiReborn
2016-03-04, 03:54 PM
I did see that one as one of many, but it wasnt the one of the homebrews i used most for my inspiration. It was one with multiple features that used madness (temporal and permanent) if i remeber right... i have seen over 15 for this domain - if i come by one i used a lot, i will make a reference ;)